PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Hargrave

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
150th this week.:D

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
He has been very consistent. Hasn't really ever been prone to injury either has he? Congrats Shaggy!

bornadog
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
A tough defender who has often had to punch out of his weight division. Has really come of age in the past two seasons and has matured tremendously.

Well Done Ryan.

Mantis
02-06-2009, 06:22 PM
A tough defender who has often had to punch out of his weight division. Has really come of age in the past two seasons and has matured tremendously.

Well Done Ryan.

With a little extra help in terms of size now I think these 2 points go hand in hand.

Often maligned player in his formative years, but now a key member of an improving backline.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Just seems to pass under the radar from year to year outside of the club.
You rarely hear his name in the media being mentoned as an important cog in our defense (in fact you rarely hear his name mentioned in the media at all). Yet if asked about him inside the club I'm sure he would be valued very highly.
Very unassuming and undemonstrative but yet goes about his job with total dedication.

Had a few run in's with the tribunal early on in his career, and had that awful medical condition (was it an abscess in his intestine??) when he first came to the club which held him back for a while.
As others have said he had to take on alot bigger opponents for the majority of his career (I remember Dougy Hawkins going spare in the media about Wallace playing him on Richo and getting towelled up).
He has emerged to be a very good, if unheralded player for our club.

Congrats Shaggy!

Sedat
02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Been one of our very best and most consistent players since Eade came to the club. Congratulations on a terrific career so far and the prospect of another 4-5 seasons of high quality football to come.

The Coon Dog
02-06-2009, 06:44 PM
J(in fact you rarely hear his name mentioned in the media at all).

And when you do, it's Hargraves! :mad:

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Very underrated defender around the football community.

Well done Shaggy!!!

Sedat
02-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Apparently Brad Boyd is still running around and now getting a kick for the Dogs :rolleyes:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2009, 06:54 PM

Yep that burns me up too.... as it does when our own supporters do it!

jazzadogs
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Well done Shaggy!

Was my favourite player when he first started, with his running from the backline and occasional long goal from 50m (there's one against Collingwood, possibly in Rohde's first game, which sticks in my mind). Loved the offensive side of his game.

When he was forced to become a key defender, attempting to outmuscle or outmaneovre bigger stronger opponents, I'm disappointed to say that I fell off the bandwagon. It didn't help that a month after I bought my #33 jumper he changed to #25. (I was really hoping Brad Murphy would do something with his career!).

Been a key player the last few years, and is definitely helped by Lake and Morris' ability to be the key talls. I look forward to more of the same over the coming years.

BTW, heard someone at the Dome during the Cats game say how he much preferred Hargraves when he was a dirty player. Yes, he said Hargraves, further emphasising the lack of awareness he had for Ryan's current importance to the team. As great as that hit on Black was, I'd prefer to see him running out each week.

Well done again =]

boydogs
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I used to worry when he had the ball with his turnovers but he has come a long way. Definitely a quiet achiever, congratulations to him

Mofra
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Everything about him is deceptive - his speed, strength, skill level and spoiling ability.
No wonder he is a fan favourite.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Well that 150 seems to have crept up from nowhere. Well done Shaggy. Agree he is under- acknowledged by those outside the Club (even a lot of fans), but then most back men are. I've always had a soft spot for those in the backline. A very tough job with little or no recognition or glory.

alwaysadog
02-06-2009, 09:26 PM

TCD I respect your knowlege in these matters, but the club site, I know... a not always reliable source, has him down as Hargrave.

Anyway however it is correctly writ, congrats Shaggy, is that 149 more games than your old man? Not bad for someone your mother is said to have described as the runt in the litter. If every player had the same desire and courage as you have we'd have nothing to complain about. I hope your teamates do you proud on Friday.

The Coon Dog
02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
From an old article:
(http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/3128/default.aspx)

“Yeah, it’s true. It’s after the character in Scooby Doo. When I first came down to the club I’d lost a bit of weight. I was pretty skinny; I had scraggy hair and some bum fluff on my chin – to the guys at the club I looked like Shaggy out of Scooby Doo. And it’s one of those names that stuck.“

The reason for the weight loss was no laughing matter. Soon after arriving at the club after being drafted in 1999, Hargraves found he was struggling with training. Something was obviously wrong.

“I discovered I had an abscess in my bowel. I was living with Hilda and Keith Smith (Rohan’s parents). I woke up one night and was vomiting everywhere, so they took me into hospital the week before Christmas. It was pretty tough as I was a long way from home away from my family and friends.”

Ryan returned home to Perth to recuperate but he was adamant that he would be on the next available plane to resume with the Western Bulldogs. It was the club his father Steve (who had been a star with East Perth before coming to Victoria) played a handful of games with in 1982 before a knee injury cut short his career.

The Coon Dog
02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
TCD I respect your knowlege in these matters, but the club site, I know... a not always reliable source, has him down as Hargrave.

What I mean is that people in the media who should know better (I'm looking at you Gerard Healy) still call him Hargraves instead of Hargrave. It annoys the crap out of me.

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 10:47 PM
What I mean is that people in the media who should know better (I'm looking at you Gerard Healy) still call him Hargraves instead of Hargrave. It annoys the crap out of me.

At the same time, our own club is guilty of it. Look at the injury list on our website.

Easton Williams, Shoulder-2 weeks

Now is that Easton Wood? Or could it be Tom Williams? :p

GVGjr
02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
At the same time, our own club is guilty of it. Look at the injury list on our website.

Easton Williams, Shoulder-2 weeks

Now is that Easton Wood? Or could it be Tom Williams? :p

Easton Wood hurt his shoulder again on Sunday.

lemmon
02-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Well done, he's turned himself into a very good player. Personally he has exceeded my expectations by a few kilometres. Great stuff.

strebla
02-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Always been a fan I love Shaggy he is tough,uncompromising and is run off halfback really gives us a hard edge well done Ryan

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Nice one champ, well done.

Very consistent player and a good decision maker.

Terry's departure pales in comparison!

AndrewP6
02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Always been a fan I love Shaggy he is tough,uncompromising and is run off halfback really gives us a hard edge well done Ryan

Have to admit, I have come to his side only in the last few seasons... coincidentally since I began to go to the games again after not going for years. Good luck Shaggy, go get 'em!

LostDoggy
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Congratulations Shaggy, you have grown from being a skinny kid, to being on of our most dependable, valuable players - well done on reaching 150!

comrade
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Well done Shaggy - a well deserved milestone.

Rocco Jones
02-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Congrats Shaggy. The most underrated player on our list imo. Forget about his height, he is one of the best small defenders going around.

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Well done Ryan - hope Friday night is a good one for you.

He has come a long way from the first few injury interrupted seasons he had - he is now such an important cog in our team and we are generally exposed when he is not in the team (look at the Geelong game). A very important player for us.

KT31
03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Well done Shaggy, and heres to kicking the Tigers butts in celebration.

Dazza
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Great effort. I had ALOT of queries about him in his first 70 games or so. Has become very important and really consistent.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Ha ha I am still laughing from that article, the guy sounds hilarious.

The son wore No. 33 in his first season, but asked to switch to 25, like Dad.
"Then I found out he actually had 26. It was a bit of a mess-up actually."

"I thought he was going to hit me so I just thought, 'Get in first'," he told the tribunal of a right hook to Heath Black's jaw.

Liked him before, he just became one of my favourites :D

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice one champ, well done.

Very consistent player and a good decision maker.

He was erratic when he first established himself in the side but his last 3 seasons have been his best. His ability to shut down the oppositions small forwards has been invaluable.

bulldogsman
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Well done Ryan, always been a big fan. Thought i'd change my avatar in honour of you ;)

Bulldog Revolution
04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
For me it's his kicking skills that are so underrated - he is a great kick