PDA

View Full Version : Brian Lake, Power Forward

boydogs
03-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Brian Lake was doing some extra goalkicking at training today, did pretty well. My first time at training so not sure whether this is new or not, but it seems as though we are looking to turn him into a power forward.

I believe he came to the club as a forward, and has several key attributes necessary to succeed as a power forward, including strength, height, pace, contested marking and long kicking. In his time forward so far this season he seemed to struggle in leading and making the play as opposed to just defending his opponent, but if he came to the club as a forward surely this must be in his arsenal and just need a bit of work. Goal kicking is the other weakness he was practicing today, looked pretty good and may just need to build some confidence.

I think if we can get Brian used to the role and playing it well it could be the difference for us between a repeat of last season and breaking the premiership drought, such is his talent and the need for someone to play this role in our side.

With all the other moves and development of players this year, I see this as the single most important thing we can do to go to the next level and beat the Cats, Hawks and Saints on the big stage. It will address our current imbalance of depth of defenders and lack of depth of forwards and so allow us to field our best 22 rather than keeping under performing forwards and dropping defenders deserving of a spot in the side, it will allow our defenders and forwards to play on opponents who are more approriate matchups and most importantly it will give us the power forward we are missing to create a contest, draw defenders, take marks and kick goals.

Do you all agree we are going to try to make Lake into a forward, is this the right move, how much difference could it make, can it happen this year, how should we go about it?

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Our back 6 is working very well together and full back is his best position. We have other forwards coming through like Grant, Cordy, Jones.

boydogs
03-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Our back 6 is working very well together and full back is his best position. We have other forwards coming through like Grant, Cordy, Jones.

I don't think Grant, Cordy or Jones will be able to make much difference to our forward line this season. I don't think our back 6 are actually working that well together because they are continually changing week to week with injuries and poor form substitutions given our depth of defenders, and the excess of tall defenders we have at the moment is producing matchups like Lake v Gwilt, Williams v Walker which our opponents are taking advantage of. The tall guys are in our best 22 players but having them all in defense together is not the most effective setup.

Full Back would be Brian's best spot at the moment but is also Dale Morrises. He has a lot to offer up forward where we need him if we can assist him to work through his weaknesses there.

hotdog
03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Would love to see Brian up forward pack marking and slotting goals. I still do not know why Rocket did not push him into the forward line in the last quarter of the prelim last year? We had nothing to lose, everything to gain. The season was over if we lost by 1 goal or 10. I look forward to this week if he is up forward.

Ozza
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I would be happy for Lake to play a full game at Full Forward this week. Match up wise - we don't really need him down back - and Richmond certainly struggle in the KP Defender department - could be a good opportunity to do it this week.

As far as match ups down back:

Morris often plays on N.Brown
Hargrave will get Morton
Williams (if he plays) will get Riewoldt - If not then either Everitt, Tiller or we shuffle the match ups around.
Harbrow gets Nahas.

I think Lake down forward can happen this week.

I'd line up with:

B: Harbrow; Morris; Hargrave
HB:Gilbee; Williams/Everitt; Picken
C: Cross; Boyd; Eagle
HF: Aker; Murphy; Higgins
F: Hahn; Lake; Johno;
R: Hudson; Griff; Coons

Gia; Ward; Hill; Minnow

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Can we all stop using the "He came to us as a forward" line?

Nearly every player comes to an AFL club as a forward (if you're big) or midfielder (if you're not). This is purely because the best players are the ones that get drafted and you play your best players in the forward line or midfield.

The Simon Presigiacomo of the TAC Cup doesn't get drafted.

To date Lake has shown next to nothing as a forward.

Sneaking forward without your opponent following you (hello Matthew Richardson) and taking a mark as 3rd man up is very different to finding space to lead, timing it right and marking with Matthew Scarlett or Darren Glass on your arse (that rhymes).

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I have an idea, let's put Dale Morris in the forward pocket. While we're at it, Ryan Hargrave too.

Ozza
03-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I have an idea, let's put Dale Morris in the forward pocket. While we're at it, Ryan Hargrave too.

No, just Brian Lake, and just this week because the situation suits.

another pearler dante.

bornadog
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Premierships are won by teams with a great backline. Lets leave the backline as is, they are working well as a unit.

I would prefer to put Everitt down there than Brain Lake.

LostDoggy
03-06-2009, 01:40 PM
No, just Brian Lake, and just this week because the situation suits.

another pearler dante.

I thought so.

Hey, while we're at it - let's get defence coach Peter Dean to take on the role of physio this weekend.

Dry Rot
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Brian Lake was doing some extra goalkicking at training today, did pretty well.

Hope his team mates noticed this too. Every time I've seen him up forward they never kick it to him.

Ozza
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Premierships are won by teams with a great backline. Lets leave the backline as is, they are working well as a unit.

I think you can play it horses for courses though. Particularly this far from the finals. There is absolutely no harm in trying it this week. There is no obvious match up for him down back as it is.

boydogs
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Can we all stop using the "He came to us as a forward" line?

Nearly every player comes to an AFL club as a forward (if you're big) or midfielder (if you're not). This is purely because the best players are the ones that get drafted and you play your best players in the forward line or midfield.

To date Lake has shown next to nothing as a forward.

Sneaking forward without your opponent following you (hello Matthew Richardson) and taking a mark as 3rd man up is very different to finding space to lead, timing it right and marking with Matthew Scarlett or Darren Glass on your arse (that rhymes).

Good points. With having to play forward as a young player though surely comes some degree of forwardline nouse, or he would not have played well enough to get drafted. In Lake we have raw materials of rare quality and the club obviously sees something in using him forward hence the goalkicking practice.

Hope his team mates noticed this too. Every time I've seen him up forward they never kick it to him.

Jarrad Grant had the same problem in his debut game. I hope that our mids are told to use these guys else their potential could go unrealised

So the club are doing the wrong thing getting him to practice his goalkicking?

I don't think our back 6 are actually working that well together because they are continually changing week to week with injuries and poor form substitutions given our depth of defenders, and the excess of tall defenders we have at the moment is producing matchups like Lake v Gwilt, Williams v Walker which our opponents are taking advantage of. The tall guys are in our best 22 players but having them all in defense together is not the most effective setup.

Full Back would be Brian's best spot at the moment but is also Dale Morrises. He has a lot to offer up forward where we need him if we can assist him to work through his weaknesses there.

I think we have some very good defenders that could be performing even better as a unit than they are at the moment if we took a tall or two away to other roles. Moving Lake up forward would also assist our forward line players like Welsh, Hahn and Johnno that are often undersized against their opponents.

Everitt seems to me to be a run and carry player suited as a defensive rebounder or wingman. He has good foot skills to spot up a target. I think these abilities would be wasted up forward, and he does not have the bulk or marking ability of Lake

One of the questions I raised that is yet to be discussed is whether he could make the transition this season, that is whether we all like it or not if the club puts Lake up forward how much improvement could we expect from him up there this year?

Mofra
03-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I hate to be picky, but Presti was recruited as a forward too :D

Mofra
03-06-2009, 04:14 PM
That's not his teammates fault. A forward needs to lead, and multiple times too as opposition defenders will defend space in front of a leading forward.

Any forward who makes a jogging lead of a few steps with one hand in the air doesn't deserve to have the ball directed to him. They need to lead hard and demand the ball. Lake doesn't do this. Ditto Grant, a single short lead just doesn't cut it at AFL level.

Unless Lake has being drilled in this area this week, I'd like to see us try a few guys there (Tiller included) as a measure for this season.
Grant is starting to work out what he needs to do, Cordy is consistency away from a debut (and both are size from being a regular).

boydogs
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
That's not his teammates fault. A forward needs to lead, and multiple times too as opposition defenders will defend space in front of a leading forward.

Any forward who makes a jogging lead of a few steps with one hand in the air doesn't deserve to have the ball directed to him. They need to lead hard and demand the ball. Lake doesn't do this. Ditto Grant, a single short lead just doesn't cut it at AFL level.

Unless Lake has being drilled in this area this week, I'd like to see us try a few guys there (Tiller included) as a measure for this season.
Grant is starting to work out what he needs to do, Cordy is consistency away from a debut (and both are size from being a regular).

We may see a Grant, Tiller or Lake forward at some stage this week with Welsh out and I will be watching both the forwards and mids closely in this regard. There is always the Jason Akermanis and Steve Johnson kick to advantage that draws the player towards the ball to get the new guys into the game, but if other forwards are leading harder you can't blame the mids can you. On the other hand, if the mids are just ignoring them waiting for someone else they trust more to give a good contest we will never bring our young forwards along

Desipura
03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Disagree that we will see a Grant or Tiller forward. It is quiet possible that Tiller wil be dropped and I cannot see Grant getting a game.

Mantis
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Disagree that we will see a Grant or Tiller forward. It is quiet possible that Tiller wil be dropped and I cannot see Grant getting a game.

I think it is pretty obvoius to those who have seen Grant play a little that he doesn't have the fitness or strength to be a 22 game player as yet. However it has been mentioned by the coach that it was hoped that he could play 6 or so games this year to aid his development. If this is still the case this weeks game would be a good chance to add another game to his tally.

The games are going by quite quickly and sooner rather than later we should have a team readying itself for finals football which will make it hard to 'blood' the new guys as previously mentioned.

Mofra
03-06-2009, 05:50 PM
On the other hand, if the mids are just ignoring them waiting for someone else they trust more to give a good contest we will never bring our young forwards along
I really don't believe this is the case; I think the players who work harder, lead harder & demand the ball will still get more kicks directed towards them. Even Aker, one of the best kicks to advantage in the team, has said he often kicks to Johnson even if he's in a worse position than someone else, because he is leading harder & yelling louder (demanding the pass).

As an aside, I noted the Williamstown forwards coach on Sunday was telling Ayce all about the way he leads and demands the ball; he should try and meet the ball at a point where his hands are in the air as that's he's greatest advantage; don't bother with body on body, as he is too light yet and even when heavier his centre of gravity is likely to be quite high.

boydogs
03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I really don't believe this is the case; I think the players who work harder, lead harder & demand the ball will still get more kicks directed towards them. Even Aker, one of the best kicks to advantage in the team, has said he often kicks to Johnson even if he's in a worse position than someone else, because he is leading harder & yelling louder (demanding the pass)

I wonder if it comes down to confidence or self belief, if I was playing for the Dogs tomorrow (we can all dream) I would give everything I had in a contest but would be reluctant to demand the ball as I do not see myself at the level of Welsh or Johnno, or someone who should be influencing the decision of the man with the ball on where he should kick it.

I think there is an argument for playing these guys into the game so they feel at home and can then lead hard and call when well positioned with confidence they are a good chance at winning the ball

There was a comment made during the Essendon v Geelong game that Selwood could not get much better but would improve in his performance as his team mates started to realise his ability and use him and block for him as they do for Ablett. I think this is an important consideration when evaluating new players to the forward line especially as their team mates take time to appreciate the ability of the new guy

Mofra
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I wonder if it comes down to confidence or self belief, if I was playing for the Dogs tomorrow (we can all dream) I would give everything I had in a contest but would be reluctant to demand the ball as I do not see myself at the level of Welsh or Johnno, or someone who should be influencing the decision of the man with the ball on where he should kick it.
That may come down to it (and probably is a factor for new guys) but hopefully that goes away very quickly. Leigh Matthews spoke about how debutants used to be happy to get a game, however in the past season or two they are very hard on themselves and most expect to impact straight away. Hopefully that hunger translates to wanting the ball.

I think there is an argument for playing these guys into the game so they feel at home and can then lead hard and call when well positioned with confidence they are a good chance at winning the ball
I guess it must be a balancing act - Hill was given a game perhaps earlier than he deserved, but it seemed to change his off-field attitude with a hard pre-season giving him teh fitness base & confidence to push for more game time. Grant has had a taste, he now knows the level he needs to get to in terms of workrate (and therefore fitness) to push for a regular spot.
I just hope the guys who debut don't suffer a loss of confidence when they realise how much harder it is at senior level, but thats hould come down to off-field psychological development of players which seems to be a bigger part of football these days.

There was a comment made during the Essendon v Geelong game that Selwood could not get much better but would improve in his performance as his team mates started to realise his ability and use him and block for him as they do for Ablett. I think this is an important consideration when evaluating new players to the forward line especially as their team mates take time to appreciate the ability of the new guy

Very important seeing as blocking for each other was highlighted as a deficiency off-season and there was supposedly going to be a focus on it this year.

hujsh
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM
It's great that Lake is practicing his goal kicking in case he gets an opportunity to take a set shot at goal.

In fact it would be almost irresponsible for him not to.

Doesn't mean will try to make him a full-forward though.

Sockeye Salmon
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I guess it must be a balancing act - Hill was given a game perhaps earlier than he deserved, but it seemed to change his off-field attitude with a hard pre-season giving him teh fitness base & confidence to push for more game time. Grant has had a taste, he now knows the level he needs to get to in terms of workrate (and therefore fitness) to push for a regular spot.

The catalyst for Hill's change in attitude was a VO2 test done by Vic Uni.

His results indicated that he had the attributes to be an elite distance runner. Until then he had no idea. He thought he was a sprinter so never trained hard enough on endurance.

The harder he trained the more he realised that he could actually run a long way.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
We once had this player who shifted from the backline from the forwardline sometimes within a game. Got robbed of a brownlow this fella. Think he is living next to someones gran now. :D

I am not saying use him as a fulltime forward but, at certain times in a game when something needs to be mixed up or to stuff the oppositions structure (such as the prelim as someone already mentioned) it would be handy to throw forward a guy who can take a great pack mark when the ball is bombed in long and (fingers crossed) slot the goal.

Lets all look at Lake as suspended this week and that he is getting replaced by an up and coming forward. Also called Lake.

boydogs
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
It's great that Lake is practicing his goal kicking in case he gets an opportunity to take a set shot at goal.

You may be right, but at training everyone was having shots on goal for a while, then they did some handball drills, then some kicking drills, then everyone went into the ELC except Boyd and Cross who were doing some drills with each other and Lake who went to do some more goalkicking, which is why I was thinking they must be working him double time to try and improve him as a forward. If it were just in case he found himself with the ball within range, I wouldn't have thought he would have done the extra session by himself, but as I said you may be right.

bornadog
03-06-2009, 11:56 PM

The coach asked him to practise his goal kicking. It was mentioned at the player sponsor night.

Mofra
04-06-2009, 10:35 AM
We once had this player who shifted from the backline from the forwardline sometimes within a game. Got robbed of a brownlow this fella. Think he is living next to someones gran now. :D
That fella also started his career as a forward, had a very high workrate, was one of the all-time greats and wasn't exactly known for having the odd brain fade ;)

LostDoggy
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Why are people against trying something with one off our backs. Brian has got what it takes to be a forward. That is a given. Only thing is our younger back talls in Williams, Tiller, and Everitt would need to fill the hole. I would say do it if injuries dictate. For example Welsh is out this week so why not put him forward and have Tiller take a spot down back.

If we are getting smashed down back simply make a swap with Lake and one off the other backs to stop it.

Just wonder why people are so against trying something? Tillers name has been mentioned but for some reason move these guys forward and all off a sudden they become the biggest duds to ever pull on a boot according to some. Just don't get it?

Mofra
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Just wonder why people are so against trying something? Tillers name has been mentioned but for some reason move these guys forward and all off a sudden they become the biggest duds to ever pull on a boot according to some. Just don't get it?
Most here aren't against trying Tiller forward (even Skippers name has been mentioned), but Lake has been tried forward a number of times.

I don't get why you would want to turn one of the best full backs in the comp into someone who has thus far proven a mediocre forward at best?

Sockeye Salmon
04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Why are people against trying something with one off our backs. Brian has got what it takes to be a forward. That is a given. Only thing is our younger back talls in Williams, Tiller, and Everitt would need to fill the hole. I would say do it if injuries dictate. For example Welsh is out this week so why not put him forward and have Tiller take a spot down back.

If we are getting smashed down back simply make a swap with Lake and one off the other backs to stop it.

Why is that a given? I have seen nothing from Brian to make me think he could be a forward. Just because one can take a contested mark doesn't make them a forward.

Jason Dunstall kicked 1000 goals and all from chest marks because his ability to time his leads and lead to the right spot was the best the game has ever seen.

I'd rather see Aker kick 4 a week from chest marks than see Lake kick 1 from a hanger.

Certainly I'd try Lake forward if circumstance dictate it but I would do so with very little confidence.

The Adelaide Connection
04-06-2009, 10:58 PM
That fella also started his career as a forward, had a very high workrate, was one of the all-time greats and wasn't exactly known for having the odd brain fade ;)

Ha ha yeah I know that was a stretch, but there was a point loosely hanging in there somewhere...

I just think that it couldn't hurt for him to develop his confidence with goalkicking so we can throw him forward every now and then. I dont necessarily mean whole games either, perhaps 5 minutes here or there to mix it up and screw other teams structure.

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Why is that a given? I have seen nothing from Brian to make me think he could be a forward. Just because one can take a contested mark doesn't make them a forward.

Jason Dunstall kicked 1000 goals and all from chest marks because his ability to time his leads and lead to the right spot was the best the game has ever seen.

I'd rather see Aker kick 4 a week from chest marks than see Lake kick 1 from a hanger.

Certainly I'd try Lake forward if circumstance dictate it but I would do so with very little confidence.

Given that Lake can take contested Marks. It stand to reason that surely he can take uncontested chest Marks. Now from him only ever having one shot at goal in a game from memory. Is hardly a case to dismiss him as a forward or anyone else for that matter. To top it off I and you probably have seen him kick goals on the run coming off the back line. That is why I know he could make it as a forward. Watch the warm ups tonight and you will see he has no problems with kicking for goal. He simply needs more time in the position to get the confidence needed to have shots. Even Grant had the yips in his career and I hardly call Lake going forward for two minutes in a game trying him as a forward. Main point for me is this. Lake would do better than Minson in my opinion and he could develope with confidence into a gun forward. I know for certain he reads the play alot better than say Minson so would atleast cause a few more balls to be contested when they come in high.

Mofra
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Given that Lake can take contested Marks. It stand to reason that surely he can take uncontested chest Marks. Now from him only ever having one shot at goal in a game from memory. Is hardly a case to dismiss him as a forward or anyone else for that matter.
Not really, As a backman, you are being led to the ball, as a forward you must lead (multiple times). On terms of the mental attributes required they are chalk & cheese.

As a forward in the past, Lake simply doesn't make a hard lead, and certainly not the mutiple leads that are required by today's standards. As a forward, all you really need to do is present, and keep doing it. Lake has many attributes as a footballer but presenting as a forward on a constant basis isn't one of them. A half paced, 5 step jog with one arm in the air isn't enough.

Given teams overall average 7.4 contested marks a game, leading forwards are what the game is about, something all the top forwards do (check out Riewoldt's workrate when the ball is upfield - it's staggering).

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Surely the issue here is that if the circumstances dictated it (ie: no ideal matchup down back), Lake should have the flexibility to be swung forward. He has let himself down badly in the past with his goal kicking so he is putting in the extra work as insurance (and rightly so)

Sockeye Salmon
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Given that Lake can take contested Marks.

The problem is that no-one (no, not even Richmond) are prepared to stand back and let you take uncontested marks.

It requires an immense workrate, lead, double back, lead again, push off your opponent and lead again.

It also requires almost a sixth sense of knowing precisely the right time to lead and the ability to lead to the right spots.

The days of a Tony Lockett type forward are gone because there's always about 3 extra blokes down there to fight against these days.

LostDoggy
09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Must agree with you, 25 years ago it was not uncommon for the full or centre-half backs to be swung to full forward if the bloke that end was struggling to get a kick.

Dry Rot
04-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Bump.

Is Lake being used up forward more now? If so, is it a good idea?

Rocco Jones
04-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Bump.

A fit Williams and capable performances from Dre down back give us the flexibility to have him pinch hit up forward at times.

Hotdog60
04-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I think he just sneaks down when the ball is being held in our forward half.

Tonight might be because his man had flooded back and drag Brian into the forward line.

He may also have Rockets blessing if he feels it's to drift down.

I think it alright if the game lets him drift down without compromising the fullback position.

LostDoggy
04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Wonder if Brian has ever kicked goals in consecutive weeks?

Sure has now :D 2 from 2

22 Goals to his name at the end of the year would be nice ;)

AndrewP6
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Bump.

I reckon he's been given some freedom to drift down there if the opportunity presents... and to be honest, I think he's a safer bet than Will at times.

Greystache
05-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I like him drifting forward when the opportunity presents, but I'm not keen to see him spend extended periods of time there.

chef
05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
A fit Williams and capable performances from Dre down back give us the flexibility to have him pinch hit up forward at times.

With Morris, Williams and Everitt playing tall in the back line he's able to be thrown forward.

Can't see it happening this week, his last two performances on Buddy have been awesome.

The Adelaide Connection
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Going off on a little bit of a tangent but wa that Williams that drifted forward and was about to take a mark 40m out when the (halftime I think) siren went?

comrade
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Going off on a little bit of a tangent but wa that Williams that drifted forward and was about to take a mark 40m out when the (halftime I think) siren went?

Everitt, I believe.

boydogs
05-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Everitt, I believe.

Yep it was Everitt

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I reckon he's been given some freedom to drift down there if the opportunity presents... and to be honest, I think he's a safer bet than Will at times.

Still remains our only big reliable defender and for that reason alone you wouldn't see him playing forward for long periods. Lake still remains our best overhead mark in the team but is certainly needed down back given our current structure.

AndrewP6
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Still remains our only big reliable defender and for that reason alone you wouldn't see him playing forward for long periods. Lake still remains our best overhead mark in the team but is certainly needed down back given our current structure.

That's true, a fleeting appearance up forward is OK though. ;)

mighty_west
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
That's true, a fleeting appearance up forward is OK though. ;)

As long as he never takes set shots at goal! ;) Even Rawlings has him covered there, and thats saying something..

alwaysadog
05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't want to cause a riot but in the quarter Brian kicked his goal he seemed to spend most of his time on what was once called the wing, not that he was playing as a wingman mind you, it appeared to be because his opponent had been told to drag him away from the FB posi.

Why they would want to turn him into more of an attacking force than normal has got me beat but Brian as anybody who follows the best informed board on the planet knows he has been practising his goal kicking with deadly intent.

Once when asked where he hadn't played the immortal EJ said he couldn't recall playing as first rover or on the wing.

All Brian needs to do now is to swap with his best man the Coon and he's got EJ beat, on that score at least.

comrade
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
The ball was in our forward line for what felt like the 20 minutes preceding his goal. He probably got bored with sitting on the wing, waiting for Richmond to win possession and decided to get amongst it.

always right
06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
What's with the little step to the right Brian takes just before he kicks for goal? I could swear I was watching Matt Giteau trying to drop one over for the Wallabies.

LostDoggy
06-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Brian was one of the few who could actually kick a goal in the last quarter. I think he just got frustrated with the appalling kicking, so ran down to show our forwards how it was done!! :D

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 01:21 PM
BUMP!

Damn it was good to see that move up forward and overhead goal to steal the game..

Brian Lake coming up on The Sunday Footy Show!

Quotes
'Skin fold count could be lower haha'
Talking about Huddo: 'Yeh hes a Big ugly footballer with the beard'

Thommo giving Scully 10 votes - 39 possies, 59% efficiency. He played well but 10/10? Sif. :rolleyes:

ledge
09-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I have said before if we werent robbing Peter to pay Paul, Lake would be great with Hall.

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 03:22 PM
5 mins a quarter could be a good surprise for some teams. Especially with Hanh doing diddley and Hall getting Mauled each week.

Ghost Dog
09-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I heard on the post match interview that Brian has been asking Rocket to put him forward.
Usually players play well where they enjoy playing. He has done such a great job down back that it is hard to imagine him playing anywhere else.
In certain situations, it will work, like last week. However, it seems like a bad idea to make it a permanent thing, considering the half decent game Hargrave had last week, and the fact that Morris is a little short and has struggled in the past with people like Buddy Franklin. Lake eats tall forwards like roughhead, Brown, Fevola for breakfast.

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Put him forward when he doesnt have a match up, so like Melbourne.

But this week against Sydney he will have to play down back with against one of their tall forwards!

But it looked pretty good with him down there he got a goal and nearly another one.

LostDoggy
09-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for bumping this, I was about to create a new thread.

Heres my current thoughts on the matter...

The more time Lake spends up forward the more I want to see him there on a part time basis, it adds another dimension to the side but the only way to balance this would be to have Murph down back during these periods. This will give us massive structure flexibility and many a headache for opposition defense. Opinions?

boydogs
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Nice bump alexxx :D

With all the other moves and development of players this year, I see this as the single most important thing we can do to go to the next level and beat the Cats, Hawks and Saints on the big stage. It will address our current imbalance of depth of defenders and lack of depth of forwards and so allow us to field our best 22 rather than keeping under performing forwards and dropping defenders deserving of a spot in the side, it will allow our defenders and forwards to play on opponents who are more approriate matchups and most importantly it will give us the power forward we are missing to create a contest, draw defenders, take marks and kick goals.
I think the points above regarding and abundance of defenders and lack of forwards are still relevant, even though Hall has been brought into the side. We have 3 KPD's in Lake, Williams and Morris, then Hargrave and Everitt which is very tall for the 4th & 5th defenders, but only really Hall up front, though Hahn and Johnson have been forced into that sort of role.

We also have Gilbee, Harbrow and Addison in the side at the moment, which has meant Addison has been pushed into the middle as a tagger. What do we do with Addison when Picken comes back? Defensive forward?

What do we do when Boumann and Tiller put their hands up? They may need to become forwards as well. Everitt may end up on the wing, as a part time ruck or as a forward too.

Lake up forward could be just the beginning of the shuffling that needs to occur to address the current imbalance.

I liked his snap on Friday night, and definitely support sending him forward in a flood situation where a contested mark is required, I think he was second in the league behind Riewoldt for marks last year. Nearly had the mark to beat Port in the NAB, and was effective up forward this week as well.

I was also very pleased to hear he took his own initiative to go down forward and be the difference, and that he wants to play forward. He and Griff were match winners on Friday night - they stood up and revived our season, and deserve to be acknowledged as such

Ozza
10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I was also very pleased to hear he took his own initiative to go down forward and be the difference, and that he wants to play forward. He and Griff were match winners on Friday night - they stood up and revived our season, and deserve to be acknowledged as such

I got home on Friday in time to see the final minutes - and then the after match interviews - was funny/strange that Brian took credit for his own initiative and that he 'has a licence to go forward' - yet when Rodney Eade was asked - he said that it was definitely a move from the box!

Desipura
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
When Lake went forward we looked more dangerous. I just wish Liam Jones was physically ready to play as I believe he is the exact type of player we need on our forward line.
A contested mark in our forward line can assist in breaking the flood at times.

AndrewP6
10-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I got home on Friday in time to see the final minutes - and then the after match interviews - was funny/strange that Brian took credit for his own initiative and that he 'has a licence to go forward' - yet when Rodney Eade was asked - he said that it was definitely a move from the box!

When things work successfully, everyone wants to claim the credit! :)

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Would love to clone him, 2 goals already today.

LostDoggy
15-05-2010, 10:52 PM
That was a great goal at the lake end, went on his right and slotted it. Difficult shot.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2010, 11:51 PM
As he was lining up I said to my wife to watch out for Brian running in straight, then stepping to the right just before he kicks the ball. Fortunately the camera was right behind him so you could see him do it. Anyone else noticed this?

Greystache
15-05-2010, 11:58 PM
As he was lining up I said to my wife to watch put for Brian running in straight, then stepping to the right just before he kicks the ball. Fortunately the camera was right behind him so you could see him do it. Anyone else noticed this?

I certainly have, he veers sharply to the right then stabs at the kick. When Lake goes forward I refer to him as the right footed Buddy Franklin!

comrade
15-05-2010, 11:59 PM
As he was lining up I said to my wife to watch put for Brian running in straight, then stepping to the right just before he kicks the ball. Fortunately the camera was right behind him so you could see him do it. Anyone else noticed this?

Yep - I was worried that the umpire would call it as play on because he ran off his line.

LostDoggy
16-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Yep - I was worried that the umpire would call it as play on because he ran off his line.

Natural arc, they will never call it.

jazzadogs
16-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Natural arc, they will never call it.
I do agree with you, but it's amazing how a 'natural arc' in the forward line is not play on, yet in the midfield you take a step the wrong way and it's play on.

LostDoggy
16-05-2010, 12:29 AM
I do agree with you, but it's amazing how a 'natural arc' in the forward line is not play on, yet in the midfield you take a step the wrong way and it's play on.

Yep, same goes for the hands in the back rule. For some reason it changes, from midfield to defender & forwards.

There are always different interpretations for rules, which depend on where you are located on the field.