PDA

View Full Version : Our opponents next week: Saints

Dry Rot
07-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyone watch Thursday night's game?

Were the Lions really good, the Saints poor or a bit of both?

Twodogs
07-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Saw the first half. Brisbane just applied a huge clamp and didnt let the Saints any latitude. In the second quarter there wasnt a score by either team after the 14 minute mark (I think). After watching us the week before it was fairly tedious.

I switched it off and watched an episode of The Shield I'd downloaded the day before.

Dry Rot
07-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a dull game (and tactics).

We must figure out a way to counter such tactics when they are used against us.

firstdogonthemoon
07-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Saw the first half. Brisbane just applied a huge clamp and didnt let the Saints any latitude. In the second quarter there wasnt a score by either team after the 14 minute mark (I think). After watching us the week before it was fairly tedious.

I switched it off and watched an episode of The Shield I'd downloaded the day before.

I could never get into the Shield. That bald guy sh1ts me. He cant really act can he?

LostDoggy
07-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Anyone watch Thursday night's game?

Were the Lions really good, the Saints poor or a bit of both?

I bit of both really I tip my hat to Matthews who has not only reinvented himself as a coach and done wonders with with a list very short on champion players. The games they pumped into some of the lesser lights last season are paying dividends in a big way. They won't threaten this year but they will be back soon enough.

The Saints are an absolute riddle and you just don't know how they are going to perform. I think against the Lions that tried to shut down Power and Black which ended up hurting their own midfield drive.

BulldogBelle
07-04-2007, 09:14 PM
This is one team that really worries me whenever we play against them, very important to get the monkey off our back when we play them next week. We must get off to a great start and physically match it with them right from the onset. Harris will be back so that is an added advantage. Will be a big match and we must do well.

alwaysadog
07-04-2007, 09:35 PM
The Saints won't play with so little belief and resolve against us. It didn't look like they are beginning slowly but that they didn't want to work as hard as the Lions, who made up for a lack of class by attacking every contest and running hard all night.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I'd play Cam Wight on Reiwoldt & get Cam to run off him at every opportunity. Cam is so fit & with Reiwoldt coming back from a hammy it may be to our advantage for Cam to run all night.

Can't see the big blob at full forward playing as poorly as he did last week, seems to save his best for us.

GVGjr
07-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I'd play Cam Wight on Reiwoldt & get Cam to run off him at every opportunity. Cam is so fit & with Reiwoldt coming back from a hammy it may be to our advantage for Cam to run all night.

Can't see the big blob at full forward playing as poorly as he did last week, seems to save his best for us.

I'd have Hargrave on Riewoldt, Wight on Kosi and of course Harris on the G-Train

LostDoggy
08-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't think we should underestimate the Lions young guns they are very, very, good.
I think the Saints are in very poor form - and I will be suprised to see they even make the 8 this year. They looked good against Melbourne because Melbourne played such a terrible game. I am reasonably confident that we should beat them next week, and we have to beat them to be looking at a top four finish.

GVGjr
08-04-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't think we should underestimate the Lions young guns they are very, very, good.

You are probably right but they were not the highest profile youngsters when the Lions selected them. Most of the midfielders were mid round picks.

I think the Saints are in very poor form - and I will be suprised to see they even make the 8 this year. They looked good against Melbourne because Melbourne played such a terrible game. I am reasonably confident that we should beat them next week, and we have to beat them to be looking at a top four finish.

We have had some good encounters with the Saints over the last few seasons. I suppose depending on how we perform today will determine if I am confident about next weeks game.

W W Biscuit
08-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Let's not forget that the Saints have a 9 day turnaround, as opposed to our 6. This is a sizeable advantage for them. Make no mistake, St. Kilda will be fresh and pumped. Their gameplan will be meticulously worked out, and I see this match as a huge test for us - particularly if we go into the game undefeated. Can we cope with favourtism? Can we cope with the microscopic scrutiny that the opposition will undoubtedly put us under? Have we improved our plan B, C or even D? Do we have the complaceny that truly great teams avoid? Can we match the intense physical pressure of a motivated, big-bodied team?

BRING IT ON!!

The Coon Dog
08-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I'd have Hargrave on Riewoldt, Wight on Kosi and of course Harris on the G-Train

I reckon he'd be too quick for Shaggy.

Mofra
08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Shaggy broke him at the MCG in under a quarter. I'd try Shaggy on him first (only because he is coming off injury) and let Wight take Kosi. Wighty will clearly take the second best forward these days, after Harris marks Gehrig.

Unlike last year Morris can now take someone his own size which helps.
On other match-ups, Boyd could be a good match up for Harvey - has the motor to go with him. Ball, Dal Santo & Hayes could be difficult to stop if they all fire but wont all be on at once, so despite their tall forwards or real chance to stamp them out is when the mdifield rotations come into it - our second midfielders are better than theirs.

dog town
09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Main problem for us against the saints has been more related to the midfield and not stopping their big forwards as is commonly thought. They are a stoppage team and we have not been able to combat them in close and amazingly they have even ran better than us last time. Yes they got hold of us up forward but they also had a mountain of the ball against us and our defenders were always one out.

Going to be interesting seeing what Lyon does for them. The very same tactics that Neil Craig used to dismantle us last night were used by Grant Thomas both times that we played Stkilda last year and basically we have not had an answer to it because it gives their forwards alot of space and stops our run. Not sure whether Lyon would use similar tactics but it is going to be interesting.

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2007, 06:08 PM

Those are the matchups I would go with also. With Riewoldt its all about being able to run with him, with Hargraves can, the only problem is if Riewoldt out stretches him close to goal. Harris's strength is needed on Gehrig and Kosi is a good matchup for Wight.

Regardless of the matchups if our centre square including ruckman and midfielders generally generates as little as it did against the Crows we will lose anyway.

southerncross
09-04-2007, 06:42 PM

Then we will have problems. Hargrave was the 2nd fastest Bulldog on the list last season over 20mtrs

The Coon Dog
09-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Then we will have problems. Hargrave was the 2nd fastest Bulldog on the list last season over 20mtrs

Reiwoldt runs alot more than 20 metres, he just runs & presents all day. Shaggy might be quick over 20 metres, but it's about anticipation, knowing when/where Reiwoldt will lead & in my opinion he'll do Shaggy cold.

bornadog
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Reiwoldt runs alot more than 20 metres, he just runs & presents all day. Shaggy might be quick over 20 metres, but it's about anticipation, knowing when/where Reiwoldt will lead & in my opinion he'll do Shaggy cold.

Last year when we played the Saints in the first half, Reiwoldt started on the forward line then ran into the Saints backline. Shaggy wasn't sure whether to go with him or stay in his position. The result was not a good one for the dogs.

Lets hope Riewoldt doesn't play as we don't have a good match up since Harrison was playing.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Pressure the ball carrier, run harder and faster than them, and win more contested ball. We can't win 40 less contests every week and expect to come close. I'd play Wight on Nick too.

alwaysadog
10-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Main problem for us against the saints has been more related to the midfield and not stopping their big forwards as is commonly thought. They are a stoppage team and we have not been able to combat them in close and amazingly they have even ran better than us last time. Yes they got hold of us up forward but they also had a mountain of the ball against us and our defenders were always one out.

Going to be interesting seeing what Lyon does for them. The very same tactics that Neil Craig used to dismantle us last night were used by Grant Thomas both times that we played Stkilda last year and basically we have not had an answer to it because it gives their forwards alot of space and stops our run. Not sure whether Lyon would use similar tactics but it is going to be interesting.

Top post dog town! It's important to identify the cause not the symptoms.

When forwards get space and the ball well delivered they have a better than even chance.

To stop this happening is the job of those upfield and we haven't been too good at that against the Saints.

Match ups down back are important but it's more important to give our defenders an even break.