PDA

View Full Version : Wallace says cutbacks caused Dog fight

BulldogBelle
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Wallace speaks.....

Wallace says cutbacks caused Dog fight (http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-news-sport/wallace-says-cutbacks-caused-dog-fight-20090604-bxb9.html)
WA Today
Sam Lienert
June 4, 2009

Wallace says cutbacks caused Dog fight
Sam Lienert
June 4, 2009 - 9:19PM
Outgoing Richmond coach Terry Wallace says his bitter parting with the Western Bulldogs in 2002 came about because of the AFL club's determination to severely strip back the football department at the time.

Wallace, who publicly apologised for the acrimonious split earlier this week, said he made his decision to leave within days of chief executive Campbell Rose arriving at the club with a "mandate to strip the footy department".

"The club was really struggling, they needed to take probably $1.5 million out of the footy department, there was question about whether I'd go on in 12 months time," Wallace told the Nine Network's AFL Footy Show on Thursday night.

"I coached that weekend, went back to the club on Monday, went back to (president) David (Smorgon) and Campbell and said that if they were going to strip all the assistant coaches I'd built up over six years that was going to have us at loggerheads for the next 12 months."

He said in the two days following Rose's appointment his manager checked the possibility of him gaining a head coaching job elsewhere and had gained an understanding he could move into the then-vacant job at the Sydney Swans.

But Wallace said there had never been a formal agreement signed with the Swans, who eventually gave the job to caretaker coach Paul Roos.

"There was no heads of agreement but my management were in a position where we thought we had an availability to go to Sydney Swans," he said.

Wallace said he, Rose and Smorgon agreed that he would leave the Bulldogs to take that opportunity.

"If they allowed me to step away and have an opportunity at another club they would be able to get rid of my contract straight off and they would also at the same time be in a situation where they could do whatever they needed to do in relation to the funds at the club," he said.

"We shook hands on the Monday night and that was accepted as being the way that it was going to go forward."

He expected to coach out the final game of the season, but after the Bulldogs players found out about the decision they angrily voted he should leave without guiding them into that match.

Wallace said the Bulldogs "slapped a writ" on him at the time preventing him from speaking publicly about how the situation unfolded and he never had a chance to give his side of the story to the players.

"Both sides didn't handle the whole thing very well at all, so many people got hurt," he said.

"I got hurt, I know Western Bulldogs people won't believe that, but I got hurt, I believe my reputation got hurt.

"I believe that not even to a degree did the players know what went on ... I had no opportunity to speak to the playing group at a time, it caused an inordinate amount of problems to a lot of people."

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Outgoing Richmond coach Terry Wallace says his bitter parting with the Western Bulldogs in 2002 came about because of the AFL club's determination to severely strip back the football department at the time.

A reason why he quit was a threat from Cambell Rose to cut the football department yet its one reason (lack of resources) why he believe he failed at the tigers. He quits one club then goes to another with the same problem?

He also painted himself as the bulldog saviour as if he didn't quit, Cooney wouldn't be at the club.

He could not deny 2 things, he was paid out by the Swans who broke his contract and Chris Newman asked him to resign.

comrade
05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Evasive to the end.

He’ll finally get a send off game involving the Bulldogs – I know Chris Grant doesn’t have a nasty bone in his body, but I wonder if he’ll have a wry smile tonight.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Wallace is a cancer in football terms.

mjp
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah...all of this is well and good. But no matter what Wallace says now or did then, the actions the club took to replace him smacked of desperation.

bornadog
07-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah...all of this is well and good. But no matter what Wallace says now or did then, the actions the club took to replace him smacked of desperation.

The club was desperate and nearly went under, financially.

Sockeye Salmon
07-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Why?

History tells us that Rohde was terrible but when he was appointed he was a fairly well regarded assistant with a good record coaching Norwood.

We didn't have the cash to chase a Matthews, so I didn't have a problem with the appointment, other than the minor issue with him being no good.

mjp
07-06-2009, 04:32 PM
All of those things are true SS - the desperation part was the speed in which it all happened...it wasn't the appointment, rather the 'well, so what? Here is one we prepared earlier' nature of it that seemed contrived.

You have to remember, I was on the other side of the country at the time and it all seemed incredibly quick, the 'search' for the best candidate was not exactly extensive and the salary issue seemed to be the primary reason for the decision.

ledge
07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Its ok to pin Rhode he was poo but you take that gamble sometimes it works, eg Malthouse and as much as some bag Wallace i wouldnt say he was a shocking choice.
Then we had Hart many years ago , we have always been a club to take first time coaches due to money retraints or trying a supposed new big name .

Some come off some dont .
Rhode was one who didnt.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Some come off some dont .
Rhode was one who didnt.

Do we have a thread for 'WOOF understatement of 2009' :)

Just thnking about 'cheap as chips' and his reckless abandoning of top draft picks makes me sad.

Dancin' Douggy
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
It's just terry once again leaving smoke clouds, decoys and false trails.
Have you ever seen a guy dig a bigger hole for himself then plough last week?

alwaysadog
07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I know there's seldom a single cause for anything and that El Tel is complex and emotional character but for years now we have been getting different versions all with some truth in them, all with some stretching of the truth.

Quite frankly I no longer care about what exactly happened back then. The simple fact was that it was messy and nasty and as a club we have moved on and become relatively successful with a future to look forward to.

I'm sorry that the past still needs rewriting to suit certain egos.

Time for you to move on too, Terry!

Remi Moses
08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
How long is this charade going to continue? Funnily enough when he first went to Richmond guess what? Cuts to the Football dept. Everybody knows that Sydney had a contract in place and we all know the rest of the story:rolleyes::rolleyes:My question is if he is so concerned about cuts to the football dept why didn't he walk from Richmond?Just another piece in the puzzle of Wallace hypocrosy.

bornadog
08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
How long is this charade going to continue? Funnily enough when he first went to Richmond guess what? Cuts to the Football dept. Everybody knows that Sydney had a contract in place and we all know the rest of the story:rolleyes::rolleyes:My question is if he is so concerned about cuts to the football dept why didn't he walk from Richmond?Just another piece in the puzzle of Wallace hypocrosy.

Terry has a history of leaving clubs early:

Hawks - dispute about his contract as a player, left

Richmond - played a handful of games, and left after another bust up

Bulldogs - left half way through a 4 year contract

Richmond - sacked in 5th year

FrediKanoute
09-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Spot on. We can criticise Wallace and blame him for our woes and yes he does deserve some blame, but the decision to appoint Rhode.....the "Cheap as Chips" option had implications.....not the smartest thing that Smorgo and Rose have done.

alwaysadog
09-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Spot on. We can criticise Wallace and blame him for our woes and yes he does deserve some blame, but the decision to appoint Rhode.....the "Cheap as Chips" option had implications.....not the smartest thing that Smorgo and Rose have done.

Yes FrediK with the benefit of hindsight what you say has an undeniable logic, but at the time the decision was not solely based on dollars. The players were strongly behind Rhode and as he had coached with considerable success in SA he appeared a good bet.

Rather than just stand back and pointing to a problem I like to try and identify what went wrong so that we can be alert to it happenning again.

I think that the club learnt a lot from that appointment as evidenced by the process that was used to replace him.

I'd be interested to know where you thought the process of Rhodes' appointment was faulty.

The Coon Dog
09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd be interested to know where you thought the process of Rhodes' appointment was faulty.

About that time a number of senior players came out publicly endorsing Peter Rohde. That may or may not of had a bearing on whether the board thought he was the best man for the job, but I'm sure it didn't hurt him.

alwaysadog
09-06-2009, 07:28 PM
About that time a number of senior players came out publicly endorsing Peter Rohde. That may or may not of had a bearing on whether the board thought he was the best man for the job, but I'm sure it didn't hurt him.

That I think is the nub of where the appointment process went wrong. There was an assumption made that basically we had got things pretty right and all that was needed was to keep things ticking over and to win back the players.

So IMHO the wrong questions were being posed and the wrong issues were being explored. Mind you the idea that we just needed to bolster the team with a few mature recruits till the kids came through should have been more carefully examined in the light of the Jakovich et al recruitment of only a few years previously but it was still a widely held belief that you could top up and be successful.

Then the senior players were keen in encouraging Rohde who initially at least appeared somewhat reluctant to apply. All this meant that we didn't explore the full range of situations and pressures that a coach faces, nor the issues of the different skill sets that an assistant needs compared to the main coach.

ledge
09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Was it a nasty split with Rhode and do any hold grudges or was it mutual and all tied up in the opposite manner of Terry Wallet?

azabob
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Was it a nasty split with Rhode and do any hold grudges or was it mutual and all tied up in the opposite manner of Terry Wallet?

I guess it depends who you are. Bottom line Rhode was sacked in the middle of a contract. Terminating the contract was the right decision. You can't really compare it to the Wallace situation due to the fact Rhode hadn't coached the club to Finals and there wasn't too much history between the two parties. If anything the club went backwards.

I would assume Rhode would've been disapointed with the decision.