PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward, local hero

BulldogBelle
04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Good article on Ward....

Callan Ward, local hero (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/at-home-with-the-dogs/2009/06/04/1243708567358.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)
The Age
Peter Hanlon | June 5, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs got a lot more than just a readymade, skilful, in-and-under footballer when they chose Callan Ward in the 2007 national draft. With pick 19 came a whole community, and a story rarely seen in the modern game.

The day after the draft, a sign was posted on the noticeboard alongside an old bank building in Yarraville village, a few hundred metres from the house Ward grew up in, hailing the local hero. You don't have to wander far into the neighbouring streets to find folk who love their Doggies, nor to come across people who proudly called the Wards their own long before the big league came calling.

The Age spoke to Ward, his parents, three sisters and friends in those nervous pre-draft days 18 months ago. None knew where the lottery might send him; mother Kerri worried it might be West Coast, father Greg hoped for his beloved Essendon, sister Mickayla vowed to shun him if it was Collingwood. Aysha, his twin, was about to go overseas, and feared he might already have moved interstate by the time she returned. Tears flowed when it was the Bulldogs.

In a cafe next to Yarraville's Sun Theatre on a wet Wednesday evening, a local student is telling her friend how she hates wearing her VCE top in public, "because everyone knows who I am". Then in strolls Callan Ward, who doesn't need a name tag.

Yet he's happy to report normal service is rarely interrupted. "I hardly ever get people saying, 'You're Callan Ward! You play for the Bulldogs!' If I do I find it pretty funny, I'm still trying to get used to the fact people are interested in me. I still just live a normal life."

That little has changed in his world — "just my job and my income, that's about it" — is a blessing few draftees can count. He sleeps in the same bed, has a pasta night with a group of old Williamstown High school mates every Tuesday, and after we talk is off to the weekly Wednesday parma night at a Newport pub with another six friends.

"It's perfect, the Western Bulldogs is absolutely perfect. I love the club, I love the people, I love my teammates, I love the culture.

"And it's still home."

Not that life is easy, just good. Football has been harder than he expected, with perfection demanded in all that he does. He says of the commitment: "It's like a full-time job."

He thought he knew all about training, but didn't realise just how diverse it would be: the physiotherapy, different types of swimming, exercises geared to enhance the "core". He's the only one of his mates who works out on a Pilates scooter, or does yoga — though he recommends it to all. "It's amazing what it can do for you."

All are young men forging their own lives. "Jimma" Hynes, his mate since prep, has been a Bulldog member for more than a decade but his budding career as a DJ means he doesn't get to as many matches as he'd like. "He's out on a Saturday night at 1.30, 2am, and that's his world," Ward says.

"It's a different life, but it works in with my life — I get to go to his house and just chill out with him.

"My mates treat me like they always have, which is good. I'd hate them to treat me like I was some king or something. I'm a good friend towards them, and that's the way it always will be — I'm not really the footballer, I'm just their mate. That's the way I like it."

A mate who happens to be on the telly every weekend. Which brings us to football, a job that seems certain to make Ward recognisable far beyond his local streets.

While completing VCE last year he made it to Whitten Oval only a couple of times a week, yet still played six games on top of his apprenticeship at Williamstown. By season's end he had sore knees and was "pretty stuffed". "It was a massive year, just huge compared to all my junior years."

Ward went on the footy trip to Bali — "six nights, a pretty big week for me" — spent a week in Lorne with mates, trained on his own. He got a huge amount out of the club's pre-season camp in Arizona.

The coaches have confidence in him, and are working on making Ward that most prized of midfielders, who can both win their own ball, and get free outside the contest to hurt the opposition with pace and precision.

"I've always been an inside midfielder, I like just to dive in and get the footy. The club really like that, but they're trying to teach me to play on the outside as well so I can use my pace, get my handball receives up and take advantage a bit more."

He can't name every opponent he's had in his 13 games, "but I can certainly name a few who've smashed me". Like Joel Selwood a fortnight ago, when the third-year Cat had 14 first-quarter possessions (not all on Ward). "That game was probably 10 games of experience for me, I learnt a lot." Young talent time continues tonight, via a date with Trent Cotchin.

He's not getting ahead of himself, but has reached a defining stage where he no longer wants to play "seconds" football. "I'd really, really like to cement my place in the AFL team. I know that's a hard thing to do, but it's a good challenge."

Confidence has come from feeling comfortable in his surrounds, the benefit of seeing his teammates every day rather than in between his studies. "They're very good to me. My locker's next to Gia (Daniel Giansiracusa), he's a bit of a smart arse to me. Lindsay Gilbee I've become pretty close with, Ben Hudson is right next to me as well. Adam Cooney, too."

There will be plenty of Wards at Docklands tonight — the whole family are Bulldog members now, even Bomber-mad dad. Many others will make the short trip down Footscray Road to cheer on the local boy, as they did when he made his debut exactly a year ago.

That old-fashioned romantic Bob Murphy gave him a hand-written, full-page letter of congratulations before that game. Ward knows exactly where it is in his bedroom. In it, Murphy told Ward how proud of him he was. There are many in the inner west who feel the same.

The Coon Dog
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM
"It's perfect, the Western Bulldogs is absolutely perfect. I love the club, I love the people, I love my teammates, I love the culture.

Dunno about anyone else, but I love reading this sort of stuff.

Desipura
05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Good article on Ward....

Callan Ward, local hero (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/at-home-with-the-dogs/2009/06/04/1243708567358.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1)
The Age
Peter Hanlon | June 5, 2009

THE Western Bulldogs got a lot more than just a readymade, skilful, in-and-under footballer when they chose Callan Ward in the 2007 national draft. With pick 19 came a whole community, and a story rarely seen in the modern game.

The day after the draft, a sign was posted on the noticeboard alongside an old bank building in Yarraville village, a few hundred metres from the house Ward grew up in, hailing the local hero. You don't have to wander far into the neighbouring streets to find folk who love their Doggies, nor to come across people who proudly called the Wards their own long before the big league came calling.

The Age spoke to Ward, his parents, three sisters and friends in those nervous pre-draft days 18 months ago. None knew where the lottery might send him; mother Kerri worried it might be West Coast, father Greg hoped for his beloved Essendon, sister Mickayla vowed to shun him if it was Collingwood. Aysha, his twin, was about to go overseas, and feared he might already have moved interstate by the time she returned. Tears flowed when it was the Bulldogs.

In a cafe next to Yarraville's Sun Theatre on a wet Wednesday evening, a local student is telling her friend how she hates wearing her VCE top in public, "because everyone knows who I am". Then in strolls Callan Ward, who doesn't need a name tag.

Yet he's happy to report normal service is rarely interrupted. "I hardly ever get people saying, 'You're Callan Ward! You play for the Bulldogs!' If I do I find it pretty funny, I'm still trying to get used to the fact people are interested in me. I still just live a normal life."

That little has changed in his world — "just my job and my income, that's about it" — is a blessing few draftees can count. He sleeps in the same bed, has a pasta night with a group of old Williamstown High school mates every Tuesday, and after we talk is off to the weekly Wednesday parma night at a Newport pub with another six friends.

"And it's still home."

Not that life is easy, just good. Football has been harder than he expected, with perfection demanded in all that he does. He says of the commitment: "It's like a full-time job."

He thought he knew all about training, but didn't realise just how diverse it would be: the physiotherapy, different types of swimming, exercises geared to enhance the "core". He's the only one of his mates who works out on a Pilates scooter, or does yoga — though he recommends it to all. "It's amazing what it can do for you."

All are young men forging their own lives. "Jimma" Hynes, his mate since prep, has been a Bulldog member for more than a decade but his budding career as a DJ means he doesn't get to as many matches as he'd like. "He's out on a Saturday night at 1.30, 2am, and that's his world," Ward says.

"It's a different life, but it works in with my life — I get to go to his house and just chill out with him.

"My mates treat me like they always have, which is good. I'd hate them to treat me like I was some king or something. I'm a good friend towards them, and that's the way it always will be — I'm not really the footballer, I'm just their mate. That's the way I like it."

A mate who happens to be on the telly every weekend. Which brings us to football, a job that seems certain to make Ward recognisable far beyond his local streets.

While completing VCE last year he made it to Whitten Oval only a couple of times a week, yet still played six games on top of his apprenticeship at Williamstown. By season's end he had sore knees and was "pretty stuffed". "It was a massive year, just huge compared to all my junior years."

Ward went on the footy trip to Bali — "six nights, a pretty big week for me" — spent a week in Lorne with mates, trained on his own. He got a huge amount out of the club's pre-season camp in Arizona.

The coaches have confidence in him, and are working on making Ward that most prized of midfielders, who can both win their own ball, and get free outside the contest to hurt the opposition with pace and precision.

"I've always been an inside midfielder, I like just to dive in and get the footy. The club really like that, but they're trying to teach me to play on the outside as well so I can use my pace, get my handball receives up and take advantage a bit more."

He can't name every opponent he's had in his 13 games, "but I can certainly name a few who've smashed me". Like Joel Selwood a fortnight ago, when the third-year Cat had 14 first-quarter possessions (not all on Ward). "That game was probably 10 games of experience for me, I learnt a lot." Young talent time continues tonight, via a date with Trent Cotchin.

He's not getting ahead of himself, but has reached a defining stage where he no longer wants to play "seconds" football. "I'd really, really like to cement my place in the AFL team. I know that's a hard thing to do, but it's a good challenge."

Confidence has come from feeling comfortable in his surrounds, the benefit of seeing his teammates every day rather than in between his studies. "They're very good to me. My locker's next to Gia (Daniel Giansiracusa), he's a bit of a smart arse to me. Lindsay Gilbee I've become pretty close with, Ben Hudson is right next to me as well. Adam Cooney, too."

There will be plenty of Wards at Docklands tonight — the whole family are Bulldog members now, even Bomber-mad dad. Many others will make the short trip down Footscray Road to cheer on the local boy, as they did when he made his debut exactly a year ago.

That old-fashioned romantic Bob Murphy gave him a hand-written, full-page letter of congratulations before that game. Ward knows exactly where it is in his bedroom. In it, Murphy told Ward how proud of him he was. There are many in the inner west who feel the same.

Gee whiz, should I apply for the Richmond coaching job? I cant be bothered digging up the post, I said this about Ward a few weeks back!

Mantis
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Gee whiz, should I apply for the Richmond coaching job? I cant be bothered digging up the post, I said this about Ward a few weeks back!

Desi,

No need to quote the whole post for the one paragraph you would like to refer to. Just do as TCD has in the previous post.

Anyway interested to read that Ward will line up on Cotchin tonight, should be a good match-up and another great chance for Callan to pit himself against another upcoming 'gun' midfielder.

Seems from the article to be a pretty determined and switched on kid.

Desipura
05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
No need to quote the whole post for the one paragraph you would like to refer to. Just do as TCD has in the previous post.
Why, have you got a sore finger from scrolling too much?:D Do you mean like this? hehe

comrade
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Fantastic article. Callan clearly won’t forget where he comes from, loves his club, and continues (for the most part) the ‘no dickheads’ trend at the Bulldogs.

Very, very early days but could he be a future leader one day?

strebla
05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I really love it when a local boy comes to the Bulldogs but when a local boy goes to other teams I really hate it.the fact that this boy can play just puts the icing on the cake for me!!

Bulldog Revolution
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyway interested to read that Ward will line up on Cotchin tonight, should be a good match-up and another great chance for Callan to pit himself against another upcoming 'gun' midfielder.

It's been good the way they've used him like this since he's come back from a short spell at VFL level

I really enjoyed seeing him matched up on Sellwood against the Cats

craigsahibee
05-06-2009, 12:56 PM

I said after the Geelong game he will not play for Williamstown again.

Good article. Sounds like he has a close knit group around him to keep his feet on the ground.

If only Dale Thomas had the same group of friends.......

Twodogs
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I really love it when a local boy comes to the Bulldogs but when a local boy goes to other teams I really hate it.the fact that this boy can play just puts the icing on the cake for me!!

I'm the same. I love the local boys and as a club it's great that we can still have that romantic attachment to players like Rohan Smith, Doug Hawkins and Callan Ward.

Let's hope we get Jack Fitzpatrick this year!

LostDoggy
05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Dunno about anyone else, but I love reading this sort of stuff.

Absolutely TCD. It warms the cockles of my heart and makes me a proud bulldog. :)

hujsh
06-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Was worried when he kicked the ball out on the full and stood there with his hands on his hips for a while. He did however take the mark of the ensuing free to make up for it so it was all good

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Ward is getting a reputation, Simmonds roughed him up tonight with some head high 'accidental' arm throwing around. I loved that Hudson run ran in gave it to Simmonds every time he tried it on Ward.

ledge
06-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Ward is our next 300 game home town boy im convinced.

azabob
06-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm the same. I love the local boys and as a club it's great that we can still have that romantic attachment to players like Rohan Smith, Doug Hawkins and Callan Ward.

Don't forget the biggest local boy of all Brad Johnson.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 02:00 PM

I doubt he'll still be around by the time we get a chance.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 11:00 PM

Johnno should have a street in Footscray named after him. Or a crescent.

Actually, the way he plays, the most appropriate will probably be 'Brad Johnson Drive'.

azabob
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Actually, the way he plays, the most appropriate will probably be 'Brad Johnson Drive'.

Agree, I think the best thing about Johnson's season so far is he is now impacting games without kicking lots of goals.

strebla
07-06-2009, 10:20 AM

nor should we forget Gia we really seem to do this well with the local boys

Twodogs
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I doubt he'll still be around by the time we get a chance.

I think you're probably right-actually, unless we tank the rest of the season starting now, it's a certainty!

Bad Twodogs. Bad, bad boy. How could I forget?

Although the definition of 'local boy' keeps changing. When I was a kid it was only kids from Yarraville/West Footscray/Braybrook were locals but since the name change it's broadened to mean all of the 'west'. Johnno's a Hoppers boy isnt he?

Twodogs
08-06-2009, 02:40 PM

That's a damn fine idea!

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=90189#post90189

azabob
08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I think you're probably right-actually, unless we tank the rest of the season starting now, it's a certainty!

Bad Twodogs. Bad, bad boy. How could I forget?

Although the definition of 'local boy' keeps changing. When I was a kid it was only kids from Yarraville/West Footscray/Braybrook were locals but since the name change it's broadened to mean all of the 'west'. Johnno's a Hoppers boy isnt he?

Being from the South, Im not sure of the definition of the "West". For some reason I thought he was from Williamstown and didn't he barrack for the dogs as a kid? If he did support us as a kid he certainly should be classed as a local boy!!

Rocket Science
08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Johnno originally hails from Hoppers, but was recruited as a junior whilst playing footy for Willi.

BulldogBelle
08-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Geelong has had loads of success in recruiting local guys, and putting a preference on them

Realise a regional city like Geelong doesnt have the lifestyle advantages of a capital city, however when recruiting local talent its always useful to harness the passion of the surrounding area, and gain grassroots support

The Western suburbs is one of the fastest growing areas population wise in the country and its vital we get local ambassadors like Ward and Johnno spreading the word the the Doggies are the club that every local should love and every boy should aspire to play with