PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs - Port at Darwin

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 12:49 AM
I say give Tommy and Bobby an extended break.

In: Everitt

Out: Tiller

I am a fan of Tiller, but Everitt is doing his thing at Willi and Stevey is still making some poor mistakes.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Ins: Williams or Everitt
Outs: Tiller- thought his hands were shocking tonight.

Happy Days
06-06-2009, 12:53 AM
In: Callan

Out: Stevie T

Subject to form at Willy, but Callan will be more helpful dealing with Port's smaller forward line.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2009, 12:54 AM
In: Callan

Out: Stevie T

Subject to form at Willy, but Callan will be more helpful dealing with Port's smaller forward line.

Good point re matchup... he might be the best option.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Welsh?
Williams?
Murphy?

Either way, Tiller will be omitted and if Welsh/Murph come back in then it's hard to see Stack hold his spot.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Welsh?
Williams?
Murphy?

Either way, Tiller will be omitted and if Welsh/Murph come back in then it's hard to see Stack hold his spot.
Stack for Welsh.

Forgot we have great depth in our list. Thanks Terry for recruiting our guns and allowing us to get Coons and Griff. :)

In: Welsh and Everitt/Callan
Out: Tiller and Stack

Happy Days
06-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Welsh?
Williams?
Murphy?

I'd give Williams and Murph another week just to be sure.

Completely forgot about Welsh though, have him in for Stack.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Welsh?
Williams?
Murphy?

D'oh! forgot about Skip Skip Welsh... definitely has to come in for Brennan you'd think.

bornadog
06-06-2009, 01:11 AM
I wonder if this is the week Aker takes a break, maybe even Johnno?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-06-2009, 01:18 AM
I wonder if this is the week Aker takes a break, maybe even Johnno?

It's an interesting thought, but perhaps with the break following Darwin the club may feel this is enough of a rest.

Port are a big danger given their ability to be very good and very bad... sometimes in the same game. I think we need all hands on deck to make sure we give ourselves the best opportunity to go into the break with another 4 points in the bank.

KT31
06-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Ins - Murphy and Welsh (possibly Everitt if Murph needs another week.)

Outs - Tiller and Stack

The Coon Dog
06-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Spoke with Murph tonight. He said he's a definite next week. Given it was a hammy & he had a limited pre season, he needs to get game time into him. I'd even play him at Williamstown when we have the bye.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Spoke with Murph tonight. He said he's a definite next week. Given it was a hammy & he had a limited pre season, he needs to get game time into him. I'd even play him at Williamstown when we have the bye.

So if he now going to frequent the woof forums and become a member of the Ben Hudson Appreciation Society? :p

bulldogtragic
06-06-2009, 01:44 AM
God damn this depth we have. :)

We had 14 seperate goal kickers tonight without Welsh and Murphy!

Throughandthrough
06-06-2009, 01:55 AM
I rarely bag people on internet forums, but hell i thought Tiller was ordinary tonight.

I can't see him playing next week (or ever again...)

AndrewP6
06-06-2009, 02:09 AM
IN Murphy (if fit) and Welsh
OUT - Tiller and Stack. I like Tiller, but he was not at all flash tonight. Stack could be alright, but didn't really do a great deal.

G-Mo77
06-06-2009, 02:32 AM
I rarely bag people on internet forums, but hell i thought Tiller was ordinary tonight.

Geez ease up. :rolleyes:

I thought he had an ordinary night as well, his colours were lowered to Riewoldt and will probably pay for it. But to say never play him again, I'm sorry that is a bloody disgraceful thing to say!

boydogs
06-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Really, really tough this week, Welsh, Williams and Murphy back from suspension/injuries and Callan probably required as a smaller defender for matchups, after a 68 point win where most earned their place in next weeks side. No injuries or reports from the game and the break is the week after so resting players is not really a consideration

Out - Stack, Tiller, Hahn (unlucky)
In - Murphy, Callan, Welsh

Can't find a spot for Williams, unless we go taller and don't include Callan

AndrewP6
06-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Geez ease up. :rolleyes:

I thought he had an ordinary night as well, his colours were lowered to Riewoldt and will probably pay for it. But to say never play him again, I'm sorry that is a bloody disgraceful thing to say!

Agreed, a bit rough to stamp his papers on the back of one ordinary game.

KT31
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Really, really tough this week, Welsh, Williams and Murphy back from suspension/injuries and Callan probably required as a smaller defender for matchups, after a 68 point win where most earned their place in next weeks side. No injuries or reports from the game and the break is the week after so resting players is not really a consideration

Quite a unique problem for us having to many tall defenders to match up to another team.

Go_Dogs
06-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Pretty good guess I think, but perhaps one of Eagle, Johnson, Aker may be given a rest instead of Hahn.

I think Everitt might be a shot this coming week, he's a good match up for Westhoff I feel. Lake to Tredrea, Morris or Callan to Motlop and Hargrave to Ebert.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
In - Welsh, Callan and Everitt
Out - Tiller, Stack and Johnson.

Stack unlucky, Johnson rested and Tiller omitted.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 11:22 AM
IN - Murph, Welsh, Everitt or Callan
Out - Tiller, Stack, Higgins

Tiller was awful tonight and doesnt have the potential of Everitt.
Stack is big but green and fumbly at the moment.
I only say Higgins because one forward has to miss out, he has been carrying an injury and I didnt like the way his knee bent last night. He is one of the best players in the comp IMHO.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 01:39 PM
IN - Grant Everitt
OUT - Tiller Stack or somebody to be rested

AndrewP6
06-06-2009, 03:29 PM
In - Welsh, Callan and Everitt
Out - Tiller, Stack and Johnson.

Stack unlucky, Johnson rested and Tiller omitted.

Wouldn't say Stack would be unlucky...he didn't exactly do much to keep his spot. I think Johnno can wait till the break for a rest.

Rance Fan
06-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Out - Tiller (not up to it), Stack, Gia
In - Murph,Welsh, Everitt or Callan dependng on matchups

boydogs
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Out - Tiller (not up to it), Stack, Gia
In - Murph,Welsh, Everitt or Callan dependng on matchups

Why Gia? I had a hell of a hard time myself coming up with a third out for Welsh after Murphy for Stack and Williams/Everitt/Callan/Addison for Tiller, but aside from Gia playing pretty well in my view, Welsh for Gia isn't really like for like. Would you change positioning of other players to enable this, what would Gia need to improve on to get back in?

Maybe Higgins could do with 2 weeks off given what James Fantasia has said about having to manage his groin issue plus the knee scare that his groin soreness may have contributed to. Very reluctant to drop a player of his quality though, Welsh may not get back in or maybe Hahn to get a long break given the high impact nature of his games

strebla
06-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Gee we are heading into a tight situation here who misses and who plays I think maybe big Mitch can get some touch at Willy (what week of the split round do they play ??) bring in Murphy and I would play Stack and Tiller to see if they can rebound .

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 04:56 PM
In: Welsh, Murphy
Out: Tiller, Stack

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
In: Welsh, Murphy
Out: Tiller, Stack
That would be my pick. Murphy may be one more week though. Williams may also be available but it does seem strange he did not play this week if he truly did snap his plantar fascia.

G-Mo77
06-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd really love to give Stack another go this week. It seems unfair to bring a guy in for 1 game and then drop him. He looked nervous at times last night. His second game should be more settled. That being said if Murphy is right to go I'd have no problems with him coming in.

lemmon
06-06-2009, 06:43 PM
In- Murphy, Welsh, Williams
Outs- Tiller (poor last night), Stack, Higgins (want to get those groins right heading into the second half of the year)

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 07:21 PM
That would be my pick. Murphy may be one more week though. Williams may also be available but it does seem strange he did not play this week if he truly did snap his plantar fascia.

I would've added Williams, but i feel the injury is more serious then the club is letting on.

Just a gut feeling, and Tom's track record.

Rance Fan
06-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Why Gia? I had a hell of a hard time myself coming up with a third out for Welsh after Murphy for Stack and Williams/Everitt/Callan/Addison for Tiller, but aside from Gia playing pretty well in my view, Welsh for Gia isn't really like for like. Would you change positioning of other players to enable this, what would Gia need to improve on to get back in?

Maybe Higgins could do with 2 weeks off given what James Fantasia has said about having to manage his groin issue plus the knee scare that his groin soreness may have contributed to. Very reluctant to drop a player of his quality though, Welsh may not get back in or maybe Hahn to get a long break given the high impact nature of his games

In my view and how i see it....

Well i believe Gia has had several average games this year. He was ok, last night. Ok is not enough for a senior player now, when we have so many players wanting a spot. Theyre up for grabs.
I think Gia's runs at times at half pace. He does ....just enough. Takes the easier option at times. Whinges when things dont go his way. You dont see him work or present as much as a 32/33 yr old Johnno for example. But hey at times he shows what he can do. Just personally id like some more from him. We havee plenty of similar type players that can be rotated around - Higgins, Hill,Johnno, Eagleton, Aker, Cooney, for example, who by he way probably most if not all have had better seasons than him. Id rather Welsh or Murphy In and up forward - they work harder. Even Eagleton has stepped up which is great!
Against Tigers - 22 disposals, 14 uncontested, 64% effective...- Not brilliant against a team we beat by 68pts.

Id like to think he'd ldominate at VFL level and comes back and shines the 1st.

Arhh the joys of having plenty of good players fighting for positions....can only be good.

Sockeye Salmon
06-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Well i believe Gia has had several average games this year. He was ok, last night. Ok is not enough for a senior player now, when we have so many players wanting a spot. Theyre up for grabs.
I think Gia's runs at times at half pace. He does ....just enough. Takes the easier option at times. Whinges when things dont go his way. You dont see him work or present as much as a 32/33 yr old Johnno for example. But hey at times he shows what he can do. Just personally id like some more from him. We havee plenty of similar type players that can be rotated around - Higgins, Hill,Johnno, Eagleton, Aker, Cooney, for example, who by he way probably most if not all have had better seasons than him. Id rather Welsh or Murphy In and up forward - they work harder. Even Eagleton has stepped up which is great!
Against Tigers - 22 disposals, 14 uncontested, 64% effective...- Not brilliant against a team we beat by 68pts.

Arhh the joys of having plenty of good players fighting for positions....can only be good.

Gia was BOG last week and a fair few here gave him votes again this week (I didn't but I thought he was still good).

PS. Is Gia still leading the club in goal assists? I would imagine so, he almost always does.

PPS. Why am I replying to someone with a Richmond player for a username? Or were you just impressed with Rance Snr quit and went home to WC?

boydogs
06-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Maybe you're right, but I think Griffen owns the title of player that needs to work harder at the moment, 13 touches last night. Gia amongst Dogs players this season is 4th for Kicks, 5th for Handballs, 4th for Total Disposals, 4th for Marks and 4th for Goals - pretty good contribution when you are top 5 for disposals as well as marks and goals

Rance Fan
06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Gia was BOG last week and a fair few here gave him votes again this week (I didn't but I thought he was still good).

PS. Is Gia still leading the club in goal assists? I would imagine so, he almost always does.

PPS. Why am I replying to someone with a Richmond player for a username? Or were you just impressed with Rance Snr quit and went home to WC?

No need get ya back up and get personal now...i was asked why and i responded...just my view.:D

Ps - you impressed that Salmon returned to the country for employment related reasons, despite being only twenty-three?.

Rance Fan
06-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe you're right, but I think Griffen owns the title of player that needs to work harder at the moment, 13 touches last night. Gia amongst Dogs players this season is 4th for Kicks, 5th for Handballs, 4th for Total Disposals, 4th for Marks and 4th for Goals - pretty good contribution when you are top 5 for disposals as well as marks and goals

Fair points. Do you think Griffen is injured or just underdone? Seems to try hard on the field but also gets tagged fairly heavily. Is he as good as we think or hope he is?

boydogs
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Fair points. Do you think Griffen is injured or just underdone? Seems to try hard on the field but also gets tagged fairly heavily. Is he as good as we think or hope he is?

In terms of his quality, I think he could win the brownlow if he puts it all together. I'm not close enough to say but his performance may be affected by the death of his Father. He has not lost his speed and evasiveness but perhaps his appetite for the contest has dropped since the start of the season, not getting enough of the ball. I think he was BOG in the Round 2 Emergency Services game versus North Melbourne, but rather than continue to new heights he has dropped off. It's good to be able to say despite winning by 10+ goals last night and being third on the ladder that we still have improvement to come as I think Griffen can play much better than he has in recent weeks

Rance Fan
06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
In terms of his quality, I think he could win the brownlow if he puts it all together. I'm not close enough to say but his performance may be affected by the death of his Father. He has not lost his speed and evasiveness but perhaps his appetite for the contest has dropped since the start of the season, not getting enough of the ball. I think he was BOG in the Round 2 Emergency Services game versus North Melbourne, but rather than continue to new heights he has dropped off. It's good to be able to say despite winning by 10+ goals last night and being third on the ladder that we still have improvement to come as I think Griffen can play much better than he has in recent weeks

Tend to agree with ya. He was my brownlow pick for the start of the season. Does get tagged heavily maybe he struggles with that. Maybe the ball isnt just bouncing his way. For example i noticed in the game last night he roved the tap in the forward line and he an Cooney got in the way of each other and they stuffed it up. If he had a clear run and some luck he may of snapped it thru the big sticks.
Maybe he has an injury...seems to hobble around a bit when he walks.
I guess as long as he keeps persisting, it may come his way. It still takes a good player to slow hm.

lemmon
06-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Bloodey hell, once maligned always maligned. He was in our top half a dozen last night and was very good against the Swans. To be honset I think some supporters always need someone to bag and too often it is Gia. Fair enough to have a crack when a players not performing but its a joke when you bag a player who is playing good footy.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I have no problems with a wide range of views, but ignorance laced with a sh*thouse attitude is a pretty low-level mix, even for closet Richmond fans.

Desipura
06-06-2009, 11:46 PM

Gia was not BOG last week as you rightfully pointed out, not even close IMHO.

LostDoggy
06-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Gia was not BOG last week

It was widely opined that it was either Gia or Goodes.

Desipura
06-06-2009, 11:55 PM
It was widely opined that it was either Gia or Goodes.
Goodes clearly

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Goodes clearly

Clearly? His team did get smashed by 7 goals.

In any case, if Gia was still best player for the Dogs, SS's point still stands, surely. What does Goodes being (possibly) better than him have anything to do with whether he should get replaced?

hujsh
07-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Leading the league.

1st-Gia 16
2nd- B.Johnson 15
3rd- S.Johnson 14
4th- S.Higgins 14

We also have Aka (13) and Hill (12) in the top 14.

TwiceBitten
07-06-2009, 12:36 AM
With Justin Westhoff making a surprise and successful return for Port tonight looks like talls will be needed down back to counter his strong marking. Williams or Everitt or both?

Rance Fan
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I have no problems with a wide range of views, but ignorance laced with a sh*thouse attitude is a pretty low-level mix, even for closet Richmond fans.

Pfft. Mature view point. You seem to reflect your comments. No Credibility.

GVGjr
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
With Justin Westhoff making a surprise and successful return for Port tonight looks like talls will be needed down back to counter his strong marking. Williams or Everitt or both?

Westhoff has height but does he really play that tall?

Mantis
07-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Gia was not BOG last week as you rightfully pointed out, not even close IMHO.

He received 10 votes in the coaches award which means both Eade & Roos gave him 5 votes and alas rated him as their B.O.G.

TwiceBitten
07-06-2009, 10:31 AM

He took 10 marks last night. Whether he reaches up or out, his arms are really LONGGGGGGGGG. :)

alwaysadog
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM

And I thought we played the ball on this forum.

Rance Fan
07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Clearly? His team did get smashed by 7 goals.

In any case, if Gia was still best player for the Dogs, SS's point still stands, surely. What does Goodes being (possibly) better than him have anything to do with whether he should get replaced?

He was one of the best for us vs Sydney, but Goodes probably get the 3 votes from Umps. They love him.
If we are reviewing past games, like the Syd game. Why not review the rest,...say WC,Blues,Saints? Not just games that we win easily where almost everyone plays well.
Point stands.
Who do you think should be replaced for Murphy/Welsh? Care to make an opinion, its just your view - not right or wrong...care to stick ya neck out or prefer to just take pot shots?

ledge
07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Agreed, a bit rough to stamp his papers on the back of one ordinary game.

Going on that theory, Grant should be delisted.

ledge
07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Tiller on Westhoff?
Sounds a good match to me, i dont think Westhoff chases to hard and Tiller could spoil him, we know Tiller had a bad game last week but this is a better match up i think.

Mantis
07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Tiller on Westhoff?
Sounds a good match to me, i dont think Westhoff chases to hard and Tiller could spoil him, we know Tiller had a bad game last week but this is a better match up i think.

No.

I would much prefer Williams to come back this week at Tiller's expense.

G-Mo77
07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Tiller on Westhoff?

If Williams is not right then that is the way I think they will go.

I honestly haven't seen much of Port so I'm not sure on their forward structure.

Go_Dogs
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM

I made this point last night, he almost plays like a small lead up forward, whose 200 cm tall.

I think Everitt is the perfect match up for him.

In regards to Tiller - he has been getting killed in this thread. Yes, he played a fairly poor game with a few shocking clangers, but he also did some OK things too. He probably needs to go back to Willy and have some confidence restored after a few tough weeks, including the assignment on Adam Goodes. For some to suggest he's never going to make it on the back of one/two bad game(s) is a bit of a stretch.

GVGjr
07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Tiller on Westhoff?

No.

I would much prefer Williams to come back this week at Tiller's expense.

I'd probably prefer a Everitt match up on Westhoff unless Williams is close to 100% right.

Mantis
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd probably prefer a Everitt match up on Westhoff unless Williams is close to 100% right.

Agree.

I think Tiller is far more suited to a smaller opponent and thus is in direct competition with Morris & Hargrave for a suitable match-up.

Hopefully Williams is right to go, but agree that Everitt should come in if Tom still isn't right.

G-Mo77
07-06-2009, 11:07 AM
In regards to Tiller - he has been getting killed in this thread. Yes, he played a fairly poor game with a few shocking clangers, but he also did some OK things too. He probably needs to go back to Willy and have some confidence restored after a few tough weeks, including the assignment on Adam Goodes. For some to suggest he's never going to make it on the back of one/two bad game(s) is a bit of a stretch.

I really think that could be part of the problem. He played a decent game in Round 1 and got dropped for match up reasons, came back for a couple after that and then out for a long break (Injury? Anyone?) and back again in Round 10. It could be just a confidence problem. A Coach showing confidence in him by selecting him again could help. I know there is a point were you have to draw the line but I'd have no problems leaving Williams out again this week and giving Tiller a shot. Especially with Williams' injury history, it won't hurt to give him another week off.

GVGjr
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Who's a closet Richmond fan? If it is a reference to the Rance fan user name from my understanding it is because Murray was a favorite Bulldog player and is not directed specifically towards the Tigers Alex.

By all means challenge the logic of the comments, and I know I find the calls to drop Gia strange, but it appears to me that you are double guessing the intent.

ledge
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Tiller is my choice rather than Everitt as i think Tiller has better body strength and is better on the ground than Everitt at the moment.
Williams i think is a sure choice to play but on Westhoff im a bit worried about Westhoffs wirey frame if the ball hits the ground one on one and being a bit more elusive than Williams can handle.

In saying this i think we will beat Port pretty easy anyway.

The Coon Dog
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Tiller is my choice rather than Everitt

Do you think the fact that Tiller lived with your family when he came over from SA is blinding your objectivity?

We know you rate Tiller. We know you think he should be tried up forward. We get the message! ;)

AndrewP6
07-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Going on that theory, Grant should be delisted.

I know...

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Do you think the fact that Tiller lived with your family when he came over from SA is blinding your objectivity?

We know you rate Tiller. We know you think he should be tried up forward. We get the message! ;)

Tell me have you heard any wispers about Williams this week?

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Tiller is my choice rather than Everitt as i think Tiller has better body strength and is better on the ground than Everitt at the moment.
Williams i think is a sure choice to play but on Westhoff im a bit worried about Westhoffs wirey frame if the ball hits the ground one on one and being a bit more elusive than Williams can handle.

In saying this i think we will beat Port pretty easy anyway.

I also think Tiller is the stronger option. Everitt is a tall that doesn't play like a tall. Not yet anyway. Everitt does remind me a bit of Franklin early in his career.

ledge
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Despite that TCD i do think i am putting up fair comments, thats why i put reasons

Everitt to me comes across as a spare floating backman, dont see him as a tagger as such, his body just doesnt have that strength yet to take on one on one.

Who would you like on Westhoff?
And your thoughts on Everitt and where he is at ?

The Coon Dog
07-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Despite that TCD i do think i am putting up fair comments, thats why i put reasons

Everitt to me comes across as a spare floating backman, dont see him as a tagger as such, his body just doesnt have that strength yet to take on one on one.

Who would you like on Westhoff?
And your thoughts on Everitt and where he is at ?

I'm not saying your comments regarding Tiller aren't fair, just monotonous.

I would like Williams on Westhoff.

Everitt has been disappointing after his debut season.

The Coon Dog
07-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Tell me have you heard any wispers about Williams this week?

No..

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 08:28 PM
No..
Does that mean he is playing or No he is not playing?

The Coon Dog
07-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Does that mean he is playing or No he is not playing?

You asked me had I heard any whispers about Williams & I answered no, meaning I haven't heard any whispers. Do I know whether he's plying next week? No idea.

LostDoggy
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Just thought you might know something as I see you are close to the club.

mighty_west
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM

That is one hell of an ordinary post!

mjp
07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Gia has had an up and down year - but he has played a lot worse (eg. West Coast game) and not been dropped than he did over the last 2 weeks so I think that (being dropped this week) is a pretty unlikely event.

Westhoff (Justin) is a lead up player - he performed well last night...(some idiots went to Adelaide to watch a player debut who was a late withdrawl with a hammy injury...Yes, I am sending him the bill!). He is a bit of a slower, less hard working Riewoldt clone (but taller with longer arms). If the coaching panel are still thinking of Everitt as a potential key back in the future then he might be the pick, otherwise I suspect that they will just stick with Tiller and give him the job.

Given the special training program implemented for Darwin, I doubt anyone who hasn't completed it would be selected - this might rule out Williams and potentially Murphy depending on what it involved.

For me, it is going to be a pretty simple scenario of Welsh in, Stack out. I suspect he will be back in a few weeks - an injury will happen and his chance will come.

Mantis
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I noticed that Williamstown aren't playing this week. Do we think that this will be factored in when teams are selected especially with Williams and Murphy who look likely to be ready to return from injury.

Scraggers
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I also think Tiller is the stronger option. Everitt is a tall that doesn't play like a tall. Not yet anyway. Everitt does remind me a bit of Franklin early in his career.

Can't see that myself ... but going on your theory, I hope he ends up like him ;)

BulldogBelle
08-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I think we leave Murphy and Williams out for the Darwin game, considering the long flight and the stress on the body from the heat

With Welsh's dodgy back I think that resting him could also be an option

Having said that I think that we need to get some fitness into the 3 of them, who will be important finals players and are in our best 22...so time at Williamstown is paramount if they arent taken to Darwin

Stack and Tiller to be dropped

Tiller's skills were poor and his decision making was terrible at time
Stack will take the experience back to Williamstown and hopefully gain confidence

bornadog
08-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Tiller's skills were poor and his decision making was terrible at time

Agree his skills let him down a bit, but also his judgement of the flight of the ball was woeful. I think it was the second quarter, when a ball floated into the forward pocket, Tiller looked completely lost. He left his man (Riewoldt) and ran forward, then doubled back when he realized the ball was going over his head. It was very poor judgement and disapointing. He seems to panic a bit, like the dropped mark in the goal square.

I would drop Tiller (191cm) and if Williams (196cm) is not ready, then Everitt (193cm) is our man to play on Westhoff (199cm).

Rocco Jones
08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
OUT: Tiller, Stack
IN: Williams/Everitt, Murphy/Welsh

The Coon Dog
08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
In: Murphy
Out: Stack

azabob
08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
IN: Welsh

OUT: Stack

The Adelaide Connection
08-06-2009, 02:54 PM
OUT: Tiller, Stack
IN: Williams/Everitt, Murphy/Welsh

With the whole GC17 thing around the corner is anyone else starting to worry about the fringe players doing a Farren Ray cos they haven't been afforded much game time? Would this be given any consideraton at all in team selections?

Scorlibo
08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
In: Murphy, Welsh
Out: Stack, Tiller

bornadog
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM
In: Murphy, Welsh
Out: Stack, Tiller

So who takes Tredrea and Westhoff? You have left a very short backline.

The Coon Dog
08-06-2009, 04:36 PM
So who takes Tredrae and Westhoff? You have left a very short backline.
Tiller & Lake.

Rocco Jones
08-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Tiller vs Everitt is an interesting one. As bad as Tiller was on Friday night, I have very little confidence in Everitt in anything resembling a KP defender role. I definitely rate Everitt as a better player short and long term but Tiller is probably better at filling a role for the team atm.

I would love to see him playing off a HBF but if he is ever going to be suited to playing on a tall forward target, it's against Port and the Westhoffs.

boydogs
08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
With the whole GC17 thing around the corner is anyone else starting to worry about the fringe players doing a Farren Ray cos they haven't been afforded much game time? Would this be given any consideraton at all in team selections?

Fringe players wanting to be traded to get a game I am not too concerned with as long as we get value in return. You are always going to have fringe players that would be better suited at other clubs.

Tom Williams is different, he is a developing player more so than a fringe player, even amongst other players of the same age or number of senior games as he was not an AFL player as a junior and as a tall will take longer. A lot of people in this thread have said that they would not bring Tom Williams back in this week, even when dropping Tiller they are bringing in a forward (Stack & Tiller for Welsh & Murphy). I myself said Callan for Tiller based on matchups not considering Westhoff. With the Gold Coast on the prowl and Tom being a Queenslander he is one I would prefer to play and look after, for his development as well as showing him there is a place for him in our side if he continues to improve

As I have mentioned on other threads though we need to find other roles for some of our defenders so that players in our best 22 are not dropped based on defensive matchups from week to week

bornadog
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Tiller & Lake.

He had Tiller out

bornadog
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Tiller vs Everitt is an interesting one. As bad as Tiller was on Friday night, I have very little confidence in Everitt in anything resembling a KP defender role. I definitely rate Everitt as a better player short and long term but Tiller is probably better at filling a role for the team atm.

I would love to see him playing off a HBF but if he is ever going to be suited to playing on a tall forward target, it's against Port and the Westhoffs.

Tiller is 8 cm shorter than Westhoff. He is not a KPP, he really is a HBF.

Rocco Jones
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Tiller is 8 cm shorter than Westhoff. He is not a KPP, he really is a HBF.

I don't really think Tiller is a quality KPP, just that he is a better option to negate a tall forward target atm. I really don't think it is a good idea for Everitt to be playing on tall forwards, whether it's for short term needs or for his long term development. It seems to have killed his confidence over the last few years.

Craig Bolton is 1cm shorter than Tiller and Darren Glass, Matthew Scarlett and Ben Rutten are only 1cm taller. I hear they go alright.

The Adelaide Connection
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Fringe players wanting to be traded to get a game I am not too concerned with as long as we get value in return. You are always going to have fringe players that would be better suited at other clubs.

Tom Williams is different, he is a developing player more so than a fringe player, even amongst other players of the same age or number of senior games as he was not an AFL player as a junior and as a tall will take longer. A lot of people in this thread have said that they would not bring Tom Williams back in this week, even when dropping Tiller they are bringing in a forward (Stack & Tiller for Welsh & Murphy). I myself said Callan for Tiller based on matchups not considering Westhoff. With the Gold Coast on the prowl and Tom being a Queenslander he is one I would prefer to play and look after, for his development as well as showing him there is a place for him in our side if he continues to improve

As I have mentioned on other threads though we need to find other roles for some of our defenders so that players in our best 22 are not dropped based on defensive matchups from week to week

Totally agree and whilst players like Everitt and Tiller did register in my thinking, Williams was the main one I was referring to.

His time so far has been fairly calamitous in terms of injury and, at times, form. If the bigger bucks and a fresh start were waved at him and he was getting limited game time you would think he would be on it faster than green corn through the new maid.

The Coon Dog
08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
He had Tiller out

He won't be.

Mantis
08-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Which players are you thinking about with this comment?

alwaysadog
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
In saying this I think we will beat Port pretty easy anyway.

Have we ever beaten the SA Magpies easily? We've had the occasional big win but also they've bitten our bum when we least expect it. Taking them for granted is a recipe for disaster.

I acknowledge that you did not imply that rather I assumed you were saying that based on comparative form we should start as comfortable favourites.

As the game is in Darwin I expect Stack to travel with the team. there's a lot to learn about being a community leader as well as a prominent footballer that helps in the development of young players, and a week in Darwin teaches a lot. Rocket won't be unaware of this and I would expect him to take as many of our indigenous players as deserve the trip.

IMHO the selection of others is really a hard call.

I don't buy the issue that Welsh's back is an issue. There is plenty of time to get over it and he doesn't need to travel back immediately. The question for me is more an issue of what the match committee, or whatever they are now called, consider he has to contribute to the game and in terms of longer term match conditioning.

The same could be said of Murphy. The temptation is to say take the extra fortnight to get things right, play with Willy, but another couple of weeks without a real game may not necessarily be in the best interests of his form longer term.

The same could be said of Tommy gun but the usual sources have been silent on his latest injury, so I’m totally in the dark. My imperatives are firstly to have him available and in good touch for the finals and if possible to have him in the team for the major challenges along the way; week to week I think we can cover, rather like the way Barrassi managed players at North in the mid seventies, some hardly saw match duties before the finals; Snake Baker comes to mind as a case in point.

alwaysadog
08-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't really think Tiller is a quality KPP, just that he is a better option to negate a tall forward target atm. I really don't think it is a good idea for Everitt to be playing on tall forwards, whether it's for short term needs or for his long term development. It seems to have killed his confidence over the last few years.

Craig Bolton is 1cm shorter than Tiller and Darren Glass, Matthew Scarlett and Ben Rutten are only 1cm taller. I hear they go alright.

Good thoughtful post RJ, Iwould only add one word; and that is yet between "a" and "quality" in the first line.

alwaysadog
08-06-2009, 09:58 PM

I don't see the GC17 mob wasting their opportunities on fringe players. To do so would in all likelihood just get us fresh picks to select possible first team regulars for our fringe players, so its a no lose situation.

In fact if a club could swap it's fringe palyers, and we are talking about those who haven't quite lived up to their promise, then I think they would all want to drink at the well.

What GC17 will try to do, like any good businessman, is to select those who they can see a way to improve. If a fringe player is performing at his peak, his value will be at that level and there will be little interest. If however someone can see a way to getting greater output then such a player will be a target IMHO.

Scorlibo
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
So who takes Tredrea and Westhoff? You have left a very short backline.

Lake to Tredrea and Hargrave to Westhoff. You forget that Tiller is no bigger than Hargrave.

comrade
08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Lake to Tredrea and Hargrave to Westhoff. You forget that Tiller is no bigger than Hargrave.

Tiller to Ebert then?

Personally, I'd rather Shaggy take Ebert, and let Tiller take on Westhoff.

Rocco Jones
08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Tiller to Ebert then?

Personally, I'd rather Shaggy take Ebert, and let Tiller take on Westhoff.

Yeah, Shaggy is a much better player when he is on a shorter opponent. I would play an extra tall before having Shaggy play on a tall forward.

Last time we played Morris and Shaggy thrashed Motlop and Ebert respectively, I see no reason to change those match ups.

The Adelaide Connection
08-06-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't see the GC17 mob wasting their opportunities on fringe players. To do so would in all likelihood just get us fresh picks to select possible first team regulars for our fringe players, so its a no lose situation.

In fact if a club could swap it's fringe palyers, and we are talking about those who haven't quite lived up to their promise, then I think they would all want to drink at the well.

What GC17 will try to do, like any good businessman, is to select those who they can see a way to improve. If a fringe player is performing at his peak, his value will be at that level and there will be little interest. If however someone can see a way to getting greater output then such a player will be a target IMHO.

I guess I should clarify "fringe players". What I was actually referring to were the players that are in and out of the team like Everitt, Tiller, Williams, Callan and perhaps even Ward. These are players that you would think will develop and would be able to force their way into another teams best 22 in much the same way that Farren Ray has and Hayden Skipworth has at the the Bombers.

We are afforded great depth in most areas at the moment and our injury count is relatively low (touch wood) so it has a lot of players playing out at Williamstown when they could be getting a regular first team gig. I actually had the same thought about Geelong with players like Gamble (who I rate though others don't).

hujsh
08-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I guess I should clarify "fringe players". What I was actually referring to were the players that are in and out of the team like Everitt, Tiller, Williams, Callan and perhaps even Ward. These are players that you would think will develop and would be able to force their way into another teams best 22 in much the same way that Farren Ray has and Hayden Skipworth has at the the Bombers.

We are afforded great depth in most areas at the moment and our injury count is relatively low (touch wood) so it has a lot of players playing out at Williamstown when they could be getting a regular first team gig. I actually had the same thought about Geelong with players like Gamble (who I rate though others don't).

Not a fringe player. In and out through injury but always picked when available.

The Adelaide Connection
08-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Not a fringe player. In and out through injury but always picked when available.

I did mention that in an earlier post, but he is still one that has been very inconsistent and therefore I listed him (with an expectation with guys knocking on the door that his inconsistent form may cost him at some point if it hasn't on occasions already).

boydogs
09-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Few injuries for Port at the moment - we should take the points with all our best 22 available (touch wood). Travis Boak, Shaun Burgoyne, Chad Cornes are mainstays that are missing

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php

Ozza
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
If Williams is right to play I'd be looking at these changes;

In: Williams, Murphy
Out: Tiller; Stack;

Williams and Murphy are in the best 22, Stack and Tiller aren't - for mine its as simple as that. Tiller will survive if Williams isn't right - but I'd prefer Welsh in the team than him if they can work the match ups out without another tall defender.

The Coon Dog
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
If Williams is right to play I'd be looking at these changes;

In: Williams, Murphy
Out: Tiller; Stack;

Williams won't play, Tiller will. The other change is right.

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2009, 11:43 AM

You're very definate about that, aren't you? I sounded like a statement of fact.

The Coon Dog
09-06-2009, 11:46 AM
You're very definate about that, aren't you? I sounded like a statement of fact.

Did you?

Me too. ;)

LostDoggy
09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
In- Everitt,murphy
Out-Tiller,Stack

Mofra
09-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Does that mean that Welsh is unlikely to come back in? In your opinion of course ;)

The Coon Dog
09-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Does that mean that Welsh is unlikely to come back in? In your opinion of course ;)

Might be hard to squeeze him in.

bulldogsman
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM

So there's no chance of Everitt or Callan coming in? Tiller has been pretty average the last two weeks.

LostDoggy
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Totally agree Gogriff, it appears that his personal loss may be having some effect on his performance IMO. He is being tagged fairly heavily, but that is all part of the learning of this game. I think if he puts it all together, we may just have another Brownlow medalist in the future :)

The Coon Dog
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
So there's no chance of Everitt or Callan coming in? Tiller has been pretty average the last two weeks.

I guess there's every chance, but I doubt it will be this week.

LostDoggy
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
As the game is in Darwin I expect Stack to travel with the team. there's a lot to learn about being a community leader as well as a prominent footballer that helps in the development of young players, and a week in Darwin teaches a lot. Rocket won't be unaware of this and I would expect him to take as many of our indigenous players as deserve the trip.

IMHO the selection of others is really a hard call.

I don't buy the issue that Welsh's back is an issue. There is plenty of time to get over it and he doesn't need to travel back immediately. The question for me is more an issue of what the match committee, or whatever they are now called, consider he has to contribute to the game and in terms of longer term match conditioning.

The same could be said of Murphy. The temptation is to say take the extra fortnight to get things right, play with Willy, but another couple of weeks without a real game may not necessarily be in the best interests of his form longer term.

The same could be said of Tommy gun but the usual sources have been silent on his latest injury, so I’m totally in the dark. My imperatives are firstly to have him available and in good touch for the finals and if possible to have him in the team for the major challenges along the way; week to week I think we can cover, rather like the way Barrassi managed players at North in the mid seventies, some hardly saw match duties before the finals; Snake Baker comes to mind as a case in point.

Well said alwaysadog, I know that Stack didn't have a great first up game, but IMO, it would be invaluable for his experience, etc., to go to Darwin with the team. Agree, if Murph is fit, then he should go to Darwin as well, he needs as much game time as possible now. Not sure about Williams - it seems that the club has been very tight-lipped about this injury as no-one on this forum appears to have an inkling of what the issue is?

knowitall
10-06-2009, 11:51 PM
I guess there's every chance, but I doubt it will be this week.

100% certain that the changes for this week are:

In: Murphy and Welsh

Out: Tiller (very unlucky) and Stack

hujsh
11-06-2009, 12:13 AM

Are you literally 100% certain or is it it just an opinion.

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Are you literally 100% certain is it it just an opinion.

I'd almost be prepared to bet Tiller will play.

G-Mo77
11-06-2009, 05:30 AM
I'd almost be prepared to bet Tiller will play.

I'll take that bet as well.

It makes sense to take those 2 out but taking a backman out and not replacing him? I find that doubtful. Looking at Port's forward line there is a job for Tiller. We'll find out tomorrow if you "knowitall" :)

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 06:00 AM

Quite possibly, though there must have been a change of mind since Monday.

Mantis
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I'll take that bet as well.

It makes sense to take those 2 out but taking a backman out and not replacing him? I find that doubtful. Looking at Port's forward line there is a job for Tiller. We'll find out tomorrow if you "knowitall" :)

We'll actually find out on Saturday night as the team selected on Thursday afternoon is only actually a guide going on previous weeks.

GVGjr
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
We'll actually find out on Saturday night as the team selected on Thursday afternoon is only actually a guide going on previous weeks.

I agree. I think we have only gone into the games as selected on two occassions this year so yes tonights team will more than likely just be a rough guide. :)

I tend to think that Murphy and Welsh will play.

Mantis
11-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I tend to think that Murphy and Welsh will play.

As do I.

The two most likely to come out would have to be Stack & Tiller, but if Tiller comes out we do look a little short down back. I guess they are counting on the Port tall forwards struggling in the often greasy conditions in Darwin.

G-Mo77
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM

Touché :)

Are Willy playing this week or can we take over all our emergencies?

Mantis
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Are Willy playing this week or can we take over all our emergencies?

No Willi have a week off.

It has been reported that we will be taking 23 players to Darwin.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
maybe Cam Wight comes to play on Westhoff

BulldogBelle
11-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Shaggy will have to play tall this week against Westoff I imagine

Worst case scenario, Murphy, Hahn and Welsh have all played back before and could be used down there

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Shaggy will have to play tall this week against Westoff I imagine

Worst case scenario, Murphy, Hahn and Welsh have all played back before and could be used down there

Best case scenario, we dominate out of the centre & it doesn't matter who's back, it never gets down there! ;)

BulldogBelle
11-06-2009, 09:06 PM

Well, I guess you are a knowitall. ;)

Stevo
12-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Might be hard to squeeze him in.

At the moment I'd have to give the points to knowitall for scooping the changes but come tomorrow night the Coon Dog might have his nose back in front.

It was a very interesting read with a few people apparently backing their sources to the hilt.

The Coon Dog
12-06-2009, 08:29 AM
At the moment I'd have to give the points to knowitall for scooping the changes but come tomorrow night the Coon Dog might have his nose back in front.

It was a very interesting read with a few people apparently backing their sources to the hilt.

Don't forget, peoples thoughts change within a few days. What might have been the preferred option on Monday may well have changed by Thursday, as was the case here.

bornadog
12-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Don't forget, peoples thoughts change within a few days. What might have been the preferred option on Monday may well have changed by Thursday, as was the case here.

It will be interesting to see if they think Murphy is right. Tiller has made the trip up there.

Stevo
14-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Well done to knowitall who got the points.

Thats the price you pay for being so sure that you were right and going with that information early. Mark Robinson is still paying for it :)

The Coon Dog
15-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Thats the price you pay for being so sure that you were right and going with that information early. Mark Robinson is still paying for it :)

Is this supposed to be a competition or something? Fine, in future I'll just keep what I hear to myself. Thanks Stevo! :rolleyes:

aker39
15-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Is this supposed to be a competition or something? Fine, in future I'll just keep what I hear to myself. Thanks Stevo! :rolleyes:

TCD, did you miss the :) at the end of his remark.

Mantis
15-06-2009, 09:13 AM

I thought the :) referred to the Mark Robinson comment.

Desipura
15-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes keep to yourself, actually just PM me. No one else needs to know:D

The Coon Dog
15-06-2009, 09:27 AM

So did I.

hujsh
15-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I think Stevo was just engaging in some light banter.

Stevo
15-06-2009, 11:21 PM

I think Stevo was just engaging in some light banter.

Well done guys. A bit of a laugh was not lost on you. I thought both Coon Dog and knowitall did a sterling job with their predictions.

I'm not sure why but obviously you are sensitive to these matters so I will try not to quote you in the future. It wasn't meant to be a put down.

I admire the way the two of you stick up for each other. If you upset the bull you get the horns.

The Coon Dog
15-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I will try not to quote you in the future. It wasn't meant to be a put down.

I don't mind that so much, just felt you were having a crack. Sorry if I misread things.

On Monday I spoke with Rodney Eade who at the time felt he couldn't see how he could fit Welsh into the team with Murphy returning from injury.

Obviously things changed later in the week & it started to turn into an 'I told you so thread'.

Mantis
16-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I admire the way the two of you stick up for each other. If you upset the bull you get the horns.

I have no problems sticking up for TCD as his information is usually very good due to the reliable sources that supply this information however in this instance I just was relaying my perceptions of how I viewed your comments. If that means through your eyes I was sticking up for TCD, well I must be then mustn't I?

On top of that I am still a little unsure why you made a big deal out of who was correct with their information and it seemed like you were quite happy with yourself when it was found that 'knowitall' had the correct line-up.... Oh well whatever makes you happy.