PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Fraser Gehrig

Dry Rot
07-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Which teams and FBs have been particularly successful at stopping the G-Train? And their tactics?

IIRC, Harris used to do well against Gehrig, but not so recently. Should we play someone else on him or try different tactics eg block up his space?

LostDoggy
07-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Which teams and FBs have been particularly successful at stopping the G-Train? And their tactics?

IIRC, Harris used to do well against Gehrig, but not so recently. Should we play someone else on him or try different tactics eg block up his space?

He's a hard player to match up on because you don't (nor does his coach) know which Gehrig will actually turn up on the day.
With Grant out, I think Harris is the only option and probably the key match up against the Saints. This also means that Wight will have to battle along with Kosi and Hargrave against Riewoldt.

I'm only guessing but the players that go best against Gehrig would be Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher and Darren Glass. I'm sure there might be a couple of others as well. I think their tactics are to simply to get in front to curb his quick leads. He can get frustrated if he doesn't get a good off to a good start.

If the ball is kicked to him on the lead he will be damn hard to stop. Midfield pressure is the key.

Mofra
08-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Harris played well on Gehrig when we had Grant at CHB. When we were underized last year (ie a half fit Hargarve ot Dale Morris) against the other talls, he struggled as he had to constantly peel off instead of playing one on one.

I really hope with Wight playing, Hargarve taking a third tall and McDougall being able to drop back at times Harris can just concentrate on beating his opponent.

It will also help having Darcy in the F50, as Minson did drop a kick behind the play a few times last week. Riewoldt does work up the ground a bit, and having Minson there will block their rebound via Riewoldt a little more. We are probably in the best position to play them for some time.

rapidshave
09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Minson dropping back is a good idea, need to get numbers infront of those two.

GVGjr
09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Minson dropping back is a good idea, need to get numbers infront of those two.

Is Minson capable of playing that type of role though? Would Street or Darcy be better at it?

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Is Minson capable of playing that type of role though? Would Street or Darcy be better at it?

I dont know that any of our ruckmen are currently all that suited to the kick behind the play role. Darcy has been good at it previously but I am not sure this is how Eade wants to setup

alwaysadog
10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
He's a hard player to match up on because you don't (nor does his coach) know which Gehrig will actually turn up on the day.
With Grant out, I think Harris is the only option and probably the key match up against the Saints. This also means that Wight will have to battle along with Kosi and Hargrave against Riewoldt.

I'm only guessing but the players that go best against Gehrig would be Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher and Darren Glass. I'm sure there might be a couple of others as well. I think their tactics are to simply to get in front to curb his quick leads. He can get frustrated if he doesn't get a good off to a good start.

If the ball is kicked to him on the lead he will be damn hard to stop. Midfield pressure is the key.

Agree Billy, it's about delivery to him. If we play slack unaccounatble football and let his midfielders have time to deliver the ball as we did against the Crows and as he likes, he will kick a record score. Too often the backs get blamed for errors made further up the field.

The way to stop him is to ensure that those delivering the ball are under constant pressure and never on ballance when they kick it into F50. Pretty soon he will get fed up with having to really work for his kicks, pack up shop and clock off.

The question is do we have the discipline and the capacity to concentrate for the whole game not just parts of it.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I think Harris' first game back is going to be a very tough one for him.

GVGjr
10-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I think Harris' first game back is going to be a very tough one for him.

I'll say. It's a big ask for him to get back into the team and come up against a talented forward group like the Saints.

BulldogBelle
10-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll say. It's a big ask for him to get back into the team and come up against a talented forward group like the Saints.

Yeah, I agree - he probably wishes he was out for this week aswell. Imagine him thinking he faces Gehrig first up. Seriously, it will be a very big game for our Harris.

alwaysadog
11-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I agree - he probably wishes he was out for this week aswell. Imagine him thinking he faces Gehrig first up. Seriously, it will be a very big game for our Harris.

It's not often I disagree with you BB but I think he is probably raring to go and can't wait to even up the score with Gehrig; Brian loves a challenge.

BulldogBelle
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
It's not often I disagree with you BB but I think he is probably raring to go and can't wait to even up the score with Gehrig; Brian loves a challenge.

I agree aad, I was just saying it tongue in cheek - Brian will be ready and waiting to have another crack at Gehrig or whomever else they throw at him.

alwaysadog
11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree aad, I was just saying it tongue in cheek - Brian will be ready and waiting to have another crack at Gehrig or whomever else they throw at him.

I'm glad about that. I thought for a moment either you or I had completely lost our senses, sorry I missed the ironic tone.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Which is always so easy to identify over the internet, much like sarcasm.

Mofra
12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Imagine him thinking he faces Gehrig first up. Seriously, it will be a very big game for our Harris.
Now now, a little sympathy for poor Fraser is due too.

After the game last week, Brian would have just about been tearing the stands apart in frustration. I certainly wouldn't want to be playing on a fit, angry, motivated Harris.

Seriosuly, Harris could do very well if he plays selfish, which is what I hope he does.

BulldogBelle
15-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Poor Fraser will he be sighted for giving Harris a whack in the stomach? Commentators have been mentioning he might cop a week or two due to his priors.

Raw Toast
15-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Poor Fraser will he be sighted for giving Harris a whack in the stomach? Commentators have been mentioning he might cop a week or two due to his priors.

Stupid thing for Gherig to do. Can't even see McKay finding a way of not citing him for that.

alwaysadog
15-04-2007, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath BB, waiting for it to happen. Greater chance after they've played us but only by a small margin, most likely a reprimand. Hope I'm wrong though.

BulldogBelle
16-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath BB, waiting for it to happen. Greater chance after they've played us but only by a small margin, most likely a reprimand. Hope I'm wrong though.

I held my breath aad ;) he copped a week and Saints are unlikely to appeal it, so Channel 9 tell us.

GVGjr
16-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I held my breath aad ;) he copped a week and Saints are unlikely to appeal it, so Channel 9 tell us.

They offered him a week didn't they? Have the Saints accepted it?

BulldogBelle
16-04-2007, 07:44 PM
They offered him a week didn't they? Have the Saints accepted it?

Not sure as yet whether the Saints have accepted although Channel 9 thinks they won't challenge it and just cop it on the chin. Poor Fraser! :)

Dry Rot
16-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Harris 1, Gehrig 0

Topdog
16-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Am I the only 1 in the World who saw Gehrig kick Harris?

BulldogBelle
16-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Am I the only 1 in the World who saw Gehrig kick Harris?

Ohh, I didn't see that, at what stage of the game did that happen in?

Topdog
17-04-2007, 08:12 AM
2nd qtr. He was on his back and kicked out at Harris.. Not sure if he made contact but he definately had a go.

Dry Rot
17-04-2007, 02:04 PM
2nd qtr. He was on his back and kicked out at Harris.. Not sure if he made contact but he definately had a go.

Was it the only kick he got on Harris? :)

BulldogBelle
17-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Ok, I must have missed that completely - I am usually so good on picking up stuff like that, just aswell then that poor fraser got a week.

BulldogBelle
17-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Ok, I must have missed that completely - I am usually so good at picking up stuff like that, just aswell then that poor fraser got a week.

alwaysadog
17-04-2007, 08:39 PM
One week is a joke. Funny how some serial offenders get off easy and others get the treatment. Fraser probably thinks it was worth it.

For argument's sake what do you think Harris would have got for the same punch. My feeling is that Brian would be looking at 3.

BulldogBelle
17-04-2007, 09:03 PM
For argument's sake what do you think Harris would have got for the same punch. My feeling is that Brian would be looking at 3.

Harris would have definitely copped a few more games for that incident if he had done it, what amazes me is Gehrig is a serial offender for those little punches he does and almost always cops some sort of reprimand or a week whenever he gets sighted, anybody else would get at least 3-4 weeks.

alwaysadog
17-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Harris would have definitely copped a few more games for that incident if he had done it, what amazes me is Gehrig is a serial offender for those little punches he does and almost always cops some sort of reprimand or a week whenever he gets sighted, anybody else would get at least 3-4 weeks.

Doesn't amaze me at all. It doesn't matter what they do with the tribunal it keeps producing amazingly inconsistent results. Fraser, 'orrible character that he is, for some reason is a protected species.

Raw Toast
18-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Agree with many of these comments and think he deserved two weeks for it myself. The committee has become weak as dishwater since McKay took over as chair and I think there are too many former players on the tribunal as well (which if anything is even more lenient).

That said, I don't think Fraser is a protected species. IIRC Last year (or perhaps the year before) he got two weeks for the tummy tap when Weagles players were getting let off because intentional punches missed their target. Him getting only one week this time might be an attempt at delayed justice.

alwaysadog
18-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Agree with many of these comments and think he deserved two weeks for it myself. The committee has become weak as dishwater since McKay took over as chair and I think there are too many former players on the tribunal as well (which if anything is even more lenient).

That said, I don't think Fraser is a protected species. IIRC Last year (or perhaps the year before) he got two weeks for the tummy tap when Weagles players were getting let off because intentional punches missed their target. Him getting only one week this time might be an attempt at delayed justice.

Agree with most of what you say Raw Toast but one week is a joke... and if the tribunal are squaring off it's even worse. If the recent strike on Harris was a more full blooded blow then he should have got more not less than last time... but he's not a protected specie.

It was his ex-coach who coined the phrase "tummy tap". It is impossible to know the force of the blow, a fist doesn't have to move very far in that region to do damage, and at other times the same ex-coach had trumpetted about how strong the Razor was. It was just a blatant exercise in persuasion and special pleading, which the media were only too happy to chorus parrot like as it worked at their low level of intellect and the alliteration was worthy of the second rate advertising agency, where most of them belong.

The tribunal for once weren't as easily presuaded. He deserved what he got, given his record he could have expected more. How many years does it take for the message to get through?

Mind you he gets mixed messages and gets away with it. That the tribunal is inconsistent is the main problem. It is subject to so many whims that deny it credibilty. In search of an explanation for this extreme variability I'm thinking about correlating its decisions with the phases of the moon, or any other possible explanation you or others may have.

Perhaps we should draw up a list of possible causes for this phenomenon and send them to Andy, he has got nothing much on his plate now that Cousins is out of sight and the reaches of the media.

bornadog
18-04-2007, 02:58 PM
The whole tribunal system is a big joke, one week and with his record, can't believe it. Surely penalties have to be split up into several categories. I would have the categories split as follows:

1. Deliberate hit, punch etc where the action has nothing to do with the football, such as what Gehrig did. These penalties should be tough, no less than Four weeks depending on the action and forget good behaviour, first time etc discounts and just get this sort of thing completely stamped out. There aren't too many of these incidences any more, not like pre 1990's. I would alos include in this category, illegal shephards, where a player whacks another playere off the ball across the face.
2. Careless actions would be the other category, where a duty of care is required.
This can then be further broken down, such as full frontal charge when a playere is over the ball, or careless action during a marking contest etc.

The main point I am trying to get across is to stamp out the Gehrig type, where a player tries to deliberately hit someone off the play.

alwaysadog
18-04-2007, 09:26 PM
The whole tribunal system is a big joke, one week and with his record, can't believe it. Surely penalties have to be split up into several categories. I would have the categories split as follows:

1. Deliberate hit, punch etc where the action has nothing to do with the football, such as what Gehrig did. These penalties should be tough, no less than Four weeks depending on the action and forget good behaviour, first time etc discounts and just get this sort of thing completely stamped out. There aren't too many of these incidences any more, not like pre 1990's. I would alos include in this category, illegal shephards, where a player whacks another playere off the ball across the face.
2. Careless actions would be the other category, where a duty of care is required.
This can then be further broken down, such as full frontal charge when a playere is over the ball, or careless action during a marking contest etc.

The main point I am trying to get across is to stamp out the Gehrig type, where a player tries to deliberately hit someone off the play.

While it would have a great deal of merit your scheme could never be implemented. It would prevent media and big clubs influencing results and so might have the basis of a just system based on fairness. The AFL would never want that. Far too rational an approach bornadog.

Think instead about about the year of the pig and its influence on onfield violence... and the need to bring the system into cordination with the phases of the moon... Ah... the phases of the moon. Put aside all this rational nonsense.