PDA

View Full Version : Werribee?

LostDoggy
07-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Went along and had a look at the Bees today and I'd have to say it was a lackluster effort that didn't do a lot to provide us with additional options in the coming weeks. Most of our listed players just weren't on song. I really thought with the quality of the players that we would be supplying the Bees plus there own good players we would be a formidable team this year but it looks like once again we will be around the mark without being a dominant team.
Is our alignment with the Bees working? Is Axe the right person to be leading them?
Does lackluster performances like this highlight that the list just isn't deep enough?

I know Eade was keen to add pace to the list but really I think is not deep enough for experience or size.

Thoughts?

The Coon Dog
07-04-2007, 11:13 PM
In a perfect world all clubs would have a reserves side that would allow those not in the seniors to be played with a view towards development as opposed to the current scenario whereby Werribee (and Simon Atkins) are trying to win games of footy.

I live in Werribee but have no affiliation to the Werribee Football Club, rather I see how they fare (& occasionally go as I did today) primarily to see how the Bulldogs listed players/rookies go.

Personally I don't like the alignment & would prefer to have our own reserves side as I'm sure the coaching staff would too.

Bulldog Revolution
07-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I think Werribee will have a very competitive team this year. Last year there were just not enough Dogs bodies in the squad due to injuries and a batch that were not really ready for VFL senior footy.

I think the recruitment of Pask, the depth with less Dogs suffering knee reconstructions plus what seems to be some talent that has adapted quickly in Lynch, Harbrow, Everitt etc and developing players McCormack, Faulkner and Addison.

I think adding new players to the mix is always going to take a bit of time. I've been very impressed I have seen of Simon Atkins as a coach, and I think generally the partnership works well, I think the Dogs are very serious about making it work also, and having guys like Rohan Smith, Steve Kretiuk etc also involved has good to help.

So what I am saying is I dont think we want to worry about not fully being in our best form in round 1. I think the mix potentially contains the bulldogs runners that were missing from last years VFL group, and some better key position depth with developing Dogs talls. I expect very good things - Werribee have played a key role in developing a lot of our current list and I look forward to it continuing.

GVGjr
07-04-2007, 11:59 PM
So what I am saying is I dont think we want to worry about not fully being in our best form in round 1. I think the mix potentially contains the bulldogs runners that were missing from last years VFL group, and some better key position depth with developing Dogs talls. I expect very good things - Werribee have played a key role in developing a lot of our current list and I look forward to it continuing.

A couple of things spring to mind.
If we are to be finals contenders we need the Bees to be in the finals as well so that all players can be available and have been playing.
Does the fact that some Bulldogs listed players are relegated to the bees 2nds team just on numbers suit us? I wouldn't have thought so.

The Bees are a club in their own right and as such as focused on their on priorities. Yes they work in with the Bulldogs but we have to drop players back which cannot always be good for them. It's not the end of the world but it's far from ideal.

LostDoggy
09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
To be a good VFL team atm the moment you need good VFL listed players to complement your younger, usually thin AFL listed players. Werribee lost a number of very good one last season. The new ones aren't up to it yet. With Podsaidly injured its makes it harder.

The Coon Dog
09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
If Podsiadly is back from injury this week I imagine Werribee will want to play him at FF. In the 2nds Tiller & M. West both kicked 5 goals & would be pushing for senior selection. Marty Pask kicked 3 goals for Werribee from limited oppurtunities.

Who will play FF for Werribee?

Would Simon Atkins views be different from Rodney Eade's?

I think so.

Highlights a major flaw with the alignment in my view.

Twodogs
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Podsiadly frustates me. It's not him-the blokes a VFL standard gun-but he wont ever be up to AFL standard and his presence hinders us developing an AFL standard tall forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Podsiadly frustates me. It's not him-the blokes a VFL standard gun-but he wont ever be up to AFL standard and his presence hinders us developing an AFL standard tall forward.

Sure does.

I really, really dislike the alignment. Does nothing for our development of players, particuarly key forwards.

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2007, 04:58 PM
A couple of things spring to mind.
If we are to be finals contenders we need the Bees to be in the finals as well so that all players can be available and have been playing.
Does the fact that some Bulldogs listed players are relegated to the bees 2nds team just on numbers suit us? I wouldn't have thought so.

The Bees are a club in their own right and as such as focused on their on priorities. Yes they work in with the Bulldogs but we have to drop players back which cannot always be good for them. It's not the end of the world but it's far from ideal.

I agree that they need to play finals, but I cant see them not being in that mix.

In theory the number of players allowed to play does not suit us, but the reality is last year we had nowhere near enough guys fit and on the park (Williams, Walsh, Tiller, Higgins all missed large chunks of time). Even when selected it is unsure whether MWest, Tiller etc are yet up to the standard of senior VFL football - obviously Wells wasn't. Ideally we would like space for Tiller to develop his game as a key forward, and MWest also, but its kind of up to them to be fit and firing and force their way into the team.

The encouraging signs this year I think would have to be the form of Lynch, Harbrow, Everitt, Pask etc playing seniors a lot of the pre-season in the VFL seniors and getting some AFL preseason opportunities. That seems a good sign to me that those boys are on the right track. And Walsh and Williams seem fit and ready to contribute - it will obviously take time. Great to see Williams named best in the VFL seniors and MWest and iller both kicking 5 each

I wonder if Harbrow missed out yesterday because of the numbers game

Did Stack, OShea play in the VFL reserves yesterday?

bulldogtragic
09-04-2007, 06:52 PM
'tis the arguments of all arguments isn't it.

We save serious dollars by not funding out own VFL team.

With saving serious money we stunt our development of some players.

That stunting holds the team from reaching its entire potential.

Money or development with the chance to reach your potential?

The Coon Dog
09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I wonder if Harbrow missed out yesterday because of the numbers game

Did Stack, OShea play in the VFL reserves yesterday?

If Harbrow did miss out purely on numbers then that in itself highlights a major flaw with the current arrangement, which certainly doesn't benefit the AFL clubs who are the ones paying these players salaries.

Brennan Stack was out with a hammy on Saturday but expects to play next week.

Paul O'Shea played at full back in the reserves. Didn't do too badly, tho sometimes just needs to be careful as he throws himself into everything & he could get hurt, seriously. Knowing when to go & not to will come with time, having said that I'd rather a player who was reckless & brave than the alternative.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Can't wait to see Stack in action, he's my new love child I think. Go Stack, go!

How'd Faulkner and McCormack go?

LostDoggy
10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Can't wait to see Stack in action, he's my new love child I think. Go Stack, go!

How'd Faulkner and McCormack go?

Whats the fascination with Stack? I haven't seen enough of him to make the call. Athletic and a good spring but can he actually get the ball?
McCormack is injured and Faukner was quietish

Go_Dogs
10-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I've got nothing to back up my statement at all re: Stack. I just have high hopes for him.

Raw Toast
10-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Stack's stats showed him making a heap of tackles a game which has got me excited.

Dry Rot
10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I've got nothing to back up my statement at all re: Stack. I just have high hopes for him.

Fair enough - this Stack was Eliot Ness in the TV series of "The Untouchables"

http://topkool.free.fr/images_seriestv/incorruptibles01.jpg

Twodogs
11-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Hope they let our Stack bring a gun like that out on the field. Should de wonders for our stoppages.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Hope they let our Stack bring a gun like that out on the field. Should de wonders for our stoppages.

All of our players should embrace the tactic of taking to the field with a Tommy gun.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2007, 11:38 AM
All of our players should embrace the tactic of taking to the field with a Tommy gun.

tommy 'gun' williams?

i think that name is going to stick.

I hereby declare it the official nickname for our wunderkind

Go_Dogs
13-04-2007, 01:06 PM
tommy 'gun' williams?

i think that name is going to stick.

I hereby declare it the official nickname for our wunderkind

Hahaha, that was good.

The Coon Dog
14-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Harbrow wasn't selected in the seniors at Werribee last week as Werribee felt there were youngsters there ahead of him.