PDA

View Full Version : Ryder gets off, similar incident to Welsh

bornadog
09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
There you go Aker, 2 frames, one frame before impact and contact, you can see Crouch's head tilt as Welsh's ahoulder hits flush with the side of his face, remember he has momentum going into the bump, had eyes on Crouch for [approx] 2 metres.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7165/p1010964r.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8480/p1010963p.jpg

Why is this a week, and why didn't we challenge it? Ryder got off tonight for a similar incident.

According to Ryders counsel " Ryder laid a legitimate shoulder-to-shoulder shepherd on Dangerfield, but after the initial contact his shoulder slipped up and connected with the Crow's head. An Adelaide medical report said Dangerfield suffered a concusion to the back of the head, a neck sprain and a headache and had needed physiotherapy.

But Ryder's advocate Michael Tovey QC said there was no rule banning incidental head contact in such a situation, and after about 15 minutes of deliberation the tribunal found in his favour. "

source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25607581-19742,00.html

Sockeye Salmon
09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Why is this a week, and why didn't we challenge it? Ryder got off tonight for a similar incident.

According to Ryders counsel " Ryder laid a legitimate shoulder-to-shoulder shepherd on Dangerfield, but after the initial contact his shoulder slipped up and connected with the Crow's head. An Adelaide medical report said Dangerfield suffered a concusion to the back of the head, a neck sprain and a headache and had needed physiotherapy.

But Ryder's advocate Michael Tovey QC said there was no rule banning incidental head contact in such a situation, and after about 15 minutes of deliberation the tribunal found in his favour. "

source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25607581-19742,00.html

Good. The correct decision was made.

Welsh shouldn't have been cited either.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Good. The correct decision was made.

Welsh shouldn't have been cited either.

Whoever our lawyer is, they stuffed that one up!

bornadog
10-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Whoever our lawyer is, they stuffed that one up!

Same thing with Aker for his bump on the North player earlier on in the year. We should have contested that one and he would not have had carry over points, which eventually led to his suspension for tripping.

azabob
10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Was Welsh's bump more front on than Ryders?

mighty_west
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't understand how "it's ok" to hit the head if it slips up, if you hit the head, you hit the head, it's like saying, oh, i punched the guy outside the nightclub, he fell, knocked himself out and died, but it's ok, cos i only punched him and knocked him out, his head hitting the ground caused the death, i didn't make him die!!!!!

Same goes when a player is hip & shouldered, it shouldn't matter if the knocked caused the injury or if his head hitting the ground caused it, the innitial actions caused every part of it, thats how it always should be, you roll the dice, you suffer the consequences for what damage is caused!

I haven't seen the Ryder incident, but with Welsh, he never made contact with any part of Crouch except his head, the elbow came through after the initial contact, but missed everything, and you can't judge that incident in real time, it doesn;t clearly show what actually happens.

The Adelaide Connection
10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't understand how "it's ok" to hit the head if it slips up, if you hit the head, you hit the head, it's like saying, oh, i punched the guy outside the nightclub, he fell, knocked himself out and died, but it's ok, cos i only punched him and knocked him out, his head hitting the ground caused the death, i didn't make him die!!!!!

Same goes when a player is hip & shouldered, it shouldn't matter if the knocked caused the injury or if his head hitting the ground caused it, the innitial actions caused every part of it, thats how it always should be, you roll the dice, you suffer the consequences for what damage is caused!

I haven't seen the Ryder incident, but with Welsh, he never made contact with any part of Crouch except his head, the elbow came through after the initial contact, but missed everything, and you can't judge that incident in real time, it doesn;t clearly show what actually happens.

Agreed. This incident is severely out of line of the usual trend of punishing incidents that cause ugly aftermaths more harshly, regardless of what the incident looks like. Dangerfield was concussed and therefore I was expecting 20-life.

G-Mo77
10-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Anyone got a link to a clip or image to Ryder's bump? I saw it briefly on Sports Tonight yesterday I think. I'd like to compare the two. Maybe they just felt sorry for The Bombres because they would have had to take the field without a ruck. :)

I've always been pretty adamant of leaving the bump in there as long as it is clean and the ball is in the contest. I delivered a a few good ones in my day and been on the end of a few. It was always a part of football.

In regards to Welsh, didn't think he should have been suspended either....

bornadog
11-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Personally, I can't see much difference between the two bumps. I believe clearly Ryder hit Dangerfield in the head with his shoulder and concussed him. The only difference is, Essendon contested the charge, we didn't.

lexwXyJ84Fs

G-Mo77
11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Personally, I can't see much difference between the two bumps. I believe clearly Ryder hit Dangerfield in the head with his shoulder and concussed him. The only difference is, Essendon contested the charge, we didn't.

lexwXyJ84Fs

It is more of a side on hit than Welsh's bump. Still similar though.

If we challenged and lost Welsh would have got 2 weeks so that is probably why we didn't.

aker39
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM

lexwXyJ84Fs

Looking at that footage, and under the current rule (changed after the Maxwell report) there is only one conclusion to make.

The tribunal got it WRONG.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Looking at that footage, and under the current rule (changed after the Maxwell report) there is only one conclusion to make.

In which instance are you referring to the Tribunal having got it wrong, the Welsh one or the Ryder one?

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
In which instance are you referring to the Tribunal having got it wrong, the Welsh one or the Ryder one?

Only the Ryder one went to the tribunal.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Only the Ryder one went to the tribunal.

Yes, very true. Should have picked up on that...I was thinking MRP. Thanks TCD.

bornadog
12-06-2009, 12:22 PM

That is my exact point, how did Ryder get off for that.

Topdog
13-06-2009, 01:59 PM
That is my exact point, how did Ryder get off for that.

how on Earth was he even cited for it? He did nothing wrong.

bornadog
13-06-2009, 02:37 PM
how on Earth was he even cited for it? He did nothing wrong.

His shoulder hit Dangerfield in the head, same as Welsh did to Crouch.

Topdog
13-06-2009, 02:58 PM
His shoulder hit Dangerfield in the head, same as Welsh did to Crouch.

Welsh also should not have been cited.