PDA

View Full Version : Our Depth

The Doctor
08-04-2007, 08:32 AM
It is interesting to have a look at the players we have that are not in this weeks senior team by position;

B: McCormack, Harris, Everitt

HB: Addison, Grant, Williams

C: Harbrow, ?????, Hughes

HF: Baird, Walsh, Hill

F: Lynch, Skipper, Robbins

R: Street, Hahn, Faulkner

Int: Stack, West, Pask, O'Shea, Tiller

I couldn't find a centreman. In fact our reserves are loaded with KP players and there is very little in reserve in the running department.

GVGjr
08-04-2007, 08:48 AM
While I think most would agree that the list looks very well balanced, on paper anyway, the quality of some of those players, especially the talls, plus the experience level is the big question mark though. Is it really a list that adds depth?

A number of the guys haven't played 50 VFL/state footy games plus a vast majority of them haven't played 10 games of senior football.
Harris, Grant, Robbins, Street, Hahn and then Faulkner and Skipper are really the only ones that that have enough senior experience to walk back in and make a solid contribution while some of the others are inexperienced but just waiting for their chance like McCormack, Addison and Baird.

The list looks very well balanced but I'm not sure that it is necessarily deep.

It probably compares pretty well against most other teams though.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
I hope Stack and Lynch and some of those guys get a run sooner rather than later - a lot of the younger kids are playing already and doing very well at other clubs.

I still don't think we have great AFL depth, mainly for the reasons that GVGjr pointed out. Once some of the younger, fringe players have played some more games and a few more of the talls come through a bit, it'll hold a bit more weight.

I'd be playing Stack in the centre square too. :)

southerncross
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I hope Stack and Lynch and some of those guys get a run sooner rather than later - a lot of the younger kids are playing already and doing very well at other clubs.

I still don't think we have great AFL depth, mainly for the reasons that GVGjr pointed out. Once some of the younger, fringe players have played some more games and a few more of the talls come through a bit, it'll hold a bit more weight.

I'd be playing Stack in the centre square too. :)

I wouldn't be in any hurry to add these guys into the senior team. The more time at the Bees will benefit them more in the longer term.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be in any hurry to add these guys into the senior team. The more time at the Bees will benefit them more in the longer term.
I Agree. While they are exciting and have enormous potential, thats what it is at the moment. They need to get stronger and tougher (physically) and need to get used to playing on strong men. After 12 to 24 months, we'll really know if all will make it.

southerncross
10-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I Agree. While they are exciting and have enormous potential, thats what it is at the moment. They need to get stronger and tougher (physically) and need to get used to playing on strong men. After 12 to 24 months, we'll really know if all will make it.

I think this is the point so many others have made. Every player selected in the National draft and even a couple of them in the Rookie draft were selected based on their long term potential. This could take a fair bit of time to eventuate. They might play a few senior games but are unlikely to help the team that much this season.
Should we have selected a player or two that could have assisted the club more in 2007? I suppose injuries will determine that but I think our depth was not enhanced that much with the players we drafted. The list got quicker, a lot quicker, but I don't think the list got deeper for the 2007 season.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I can understand the points being made here, but some of these guys are good enough and quick enough, with enough skill and nous to step up and make an impact in their first season. I for one would like to see them get a bit of a run, especially if some players keep performing at the level they did against the Crows.

LostDoggy
10-04-2007, 09:36 PM
I can understand the points being made here, but some of these guys are good enough and quick enough, with enough skill and nous to step up and make an impact in their first season. I for one would like to see them get a bit of a run, especially if some players keep performing at the level they did against the Crows.

I think they can come in and make an occasional impact but really they fade just as quickly as they tend to impress.I wouldn't say that the Crows game should be the catalyst for the introduction of youth.If they perform well lets introduce one of them but they would have really have to prove they were up to it. The likes of Lynch and Harbrow faded badly against the Lions didn't they after an impressive performance against the undermanned Swans?

Raw Toast
10-04-2007, 11:00 PM
It is interesting to have a look at the players we have that are not in this weeks senior team by position;

B: McCormack, Harris, Everitt

HB: Addison, Grant, Williams

C: Harbrow, ?????, Hughes

HF: Baird, Walsh, Hill

F: Lynch, Skipper, Robbins

R: Street, Hahn, Faulkner

Int: Stack, West, Pask, O'Shea, Tiller

I couldn't find a centreman. In fact our reserves are loaded with KP players and there is very little in reserve in the running department.

Good call Doc.

I'm glad we were forced to get four rookies this year, because Harbrow and Hughes seem closer to playing at a senior level than our three small draftees and give us a bit more running depth. Be interesting to see if we go for a centre-type in this year's draft. Was Cross an accumulator as a junior?

bulldogtragic
11-04-2007, 10:32 AM
I think this is the point so many others have made. Every player selected in the National draft and even a couple of them in the Rookie draft were selected based on their long term potential. This could take a fair bit of time to eventuate. They might play a few senior games but are unlikely to help the team that much this season.
Should we have selected a player or two that could have assisted the club more in 2007? I suppose injuries will determine that but I think our depth was not enhanced that much with the players we drafted. The list got quicker, a lot quicker, but I don't think the list got deeper for the 2007 season.
If you're to believe some BF posters, we're getting Judd next year so that will sort all this out.

Hang on a sec, i thought we got Fev two years ago?

Go_Dogs
11-04-2007, 03:28 PM
If we did get Judd, problem solvered.

I noticed this morning that McCormack is injured?