PDA

View Full Version : The clone of Boyd & Morris

bulldogsman
10-06-2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/14/rfGALDOGS6.jpg http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/29/bullvMel5_gallery__238x400.jpg

The story of when two honest battlers came together to make make the ultimate clone.

He is...

"Borris" the battler (Boyd + Morris)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/picken_ss_a.jpg

A legend in his own right. Blessed with the battler skills of both, built with the pace and defensive skills
of Morris, the engine and midfield smarts of Boyd and with what every battler craves. Versatility.
Can battle forward, back or midfield folks which what makes "Borris" the ultimate battler.

aker39
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
For a club that really struggled to have enough money to rookie any players, we have done very well from the rookie list

Mantis
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
For a club that really struggled to have enough money to rookie any players, we have done very well from the rookie list

Especially when you add Harbrow to the list.

There wouldn't be too many other clubs who have 4 of their best 22 drafted into the club via the rookie list.

bulldogsman
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Very proud of these boys and the club for recruiting them. Really all these guys plus Hudson, had really no right to be on an AFL list.

Mofra
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
There wouldn't be too many other clubs who have 4 of their best 22 drafted into the club via the rookie list.
Especially considering 2 of those are in the leadership group, with Morris regarded as a top-line defender and Boyd arguably leading our B&F at the moment.

The icing on the cake is Willy paying half of Picken's rookie salary :)

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
On Friday we had more rookies in our 22 than 1st rounders.

Morris
Boyd
Harbrow
Picken

vs.

Cooney
Griffen
Higgins

Was Johnno actually a 1st rounder? From memory he went pick 15 but there was only 14 teams back then, but what about priority picks?

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
All hail Borris!

bornadog
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Was Johnno actually a 1st rounder? From memory he went pick 15 but there was only 14 teams back then, but what about priority picks?

Pick 11, 1993

hujsh
10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I shall call him Borris from now on

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Good thread.

Dazza
10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Picken really is impressing me. I'm hoping he goes on to become Boyd v.2. He's very good at set shots as well. I didn't realise he used to play forward pocket. Was it him in that Williamstown final the cannoned into a player and knocked him out and was reported for it?

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Top thread.

Really glad for him, has taken his chance with both hands. As looked very much an AFL player from the get go, and will improve even more over the next few years.

bornadog
10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Who else can we clone to be the perfect footballer:D

Picken has really been a revelation this year.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Especially when you add Harbrow to the list.

Yep, pretty impressive stat.

Quite a few good players have come through the rookie list, Bock and Rutten at the Crows, Pearce at Port, Cox, Sandilands, Kirk, Jolly, Davey. We've done very well though, especially considering we've often had less selections than the majority of other clubs.

BulldogBelle
10-06-2009, 08:42 PM
When Picken went forward to play on Deledio and kicked 2 goals (for memory- I was a little drunk!) on a #1 draft pick, I knew we had found a player!

The Adelaide Connection
10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
The rookie list is great but I often wonder how many great players still slip through because they didn't have a great beep test result at 17. I know a few hard luck stories that missed out (some certainly because they weren't good enough). In this day and age I wonder if someone like Tuck, who was a late bloomer, would have made it.

Mofra
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
In this day and age I wonder if someone like Tuck, who was a late bloomer, would have made it.
You'd like to hope there is a place for the late bloomer, especially if they start showing form in one of the lower leagues; I'd hate to think we'd miss out on a Peter Foster because a young tall takes time to develop and we were too impatient.

jazzadogs
10-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry about this, I'm certain it's been answered before but I forgot the answer...who is Picken replacing on the list? That is, who is on the long term injury list to give him a spot? And will that person be returning soon, meaning 'Borris' will have to return to the rookie list?

Whatever the case, he has been fantastic and I look forward to watching him continue to improve.

The Adelaide Connection
10-06-2009, 11:10 PM
You'd like to hope there is a place for the late bloomer, especially if they start showing form in one of the lower leagues; I'd hate to think we'd miss out on a Peter Foster because a young tall takes time to develop and we were too impatient.

Yeah agreed, but I do wonder. The odd one like Picken makes it through, but so many others careers stall at that critical point and then they are considered "too old" at 20.

A good example that I mentioned in another thread that leaves me scratching my head was that Paul Thomas was not picked up by anyone. He won the Magarey medal in SA (equivalent to the Brownlow), got drafted by Essendon in 05(?), played 8 or so games in his first season, won the best first year player award, and then was delisted at the end of that year :eek:. I remember seeing that Essendon fans were a little unhappy that he wasn't offered another contract.

He is captain of Cental District in the SANFL now and absolutely carves up, probably still think he is good enough to be on an AFL list. I do know of quite a few other similar cases too. I guess it is still easier than trying to crack Europe as a soccer player!

GVGjr
10-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Sorry about this, I'm certain it's been answered before but I forgot the answer...who is Picken replacing on the list? That is, who is on the long term injury list to give him a spot? And will that person be returning soon, meaning 'Borris' will have to return to the rookie list?

Whatever the case, he has been fantastic and I look forward to watching him continue to improve.

Paul O'Shea is on the LT injury list

jazzadogs
10-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Paul O'Shea is on the LT injury list
Cheers :)

GVGjr
10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
A good example that I mentioned in another thread that leaves me scratching my head was that Paul Thomas was not picked up by anyone. He won the Magarey medal in SA (equivalent to the Brownlow), got drafted by Essendon in 05(?), played 8 or so games in his first season, won the best first year player award, and then was delisted at the end of that year :eek:. I remember seeing that Essendon fans were a little unhappy that he wasn't offered another contract.

He is captain of Cental District in the SANFL now and absolutely carves up, probably still think he is good enough to be on an AFL list. I do know of quite a few other similar cases too. I guess it is still easier than trying to crack Europe as a soccer player!

I saw him play a couple of games for the Bombers and he performed well. Did he get injured or reported and then struggled to get back into the side?

There must be a number of quality players in the state leagues like Thomas and Picken (before this year) that get overlooked. Nahas is doing well for the Tigers and Skipworth has grasped his chances with the Bombers.

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2009, 12:49 AM

After the half way point in the season a rookie can now just be elevated without the need for the player he has replaced to remain out injured.

O'Shea can come back and Picken can keep playing.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I shall call him Borris from now on

I too, shall call him Borris - gotta love the way he plays :D

bulldogsman
11-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Don't know if this would make a great combination, but the name is pretty good. Ward + Roughead = "Warhead"

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Frankmanis (Franklin + Aker) If Franklin could kick like Aker he'd be absolutely unstoppable.

Happy Days
11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Frankmanis (Franklin + Aker) If Franklin could kick like Aker he'd be absolutely unstoppable.

Jamanathomichary Hirbucklevossabblett anybody?

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Jamanathomichary Hirbucklevossabblett anybody?

He'd do.