PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview R[12] Western Bulldogs Vs Port Power

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Match Preview R[12] Western Bulldogs Vs Port Power

Sat 6.40 TIO Stadium Darwin (19:00 Fox Sports 1)

The selection table:

Dogs: 7 W – 4 L

Are Murphy and Williams fit to play?
Is Everitt in the frame if Williams is not fit?
Is Welsh an automatic return or will his back be rested from the flight?
Have young midfielders Reid and O’Keefe inched a step closer to selection?
Will Stack and Tiller hold places?

Port: 6 W – 5 L

Lots of talk of Port injuries in the Advertiser this week; Boak, S Burgoyne and C Cornes all injured, and they would clearly all make the Port side a lot stronger. The big questions from a dogs perspective is Will Motlop be fit to play this week?

The lead up:

Davoren Vs Falloon – Eade V Williams – Fantasia V Rhode

Plenty of intrigue this week for the Fitness Coaches Cup. After assertions in the press that Port did no lead up preparation for this Darwin fixture last year, both camps have talked to the media about their bicycle riding in hot conditions.

The Dogs season appears to have been building nicely as the season has unfolded, but winning here as absolutely crucial. Port turned in an insipid display against the Swans, an uninspired performance against the Pies before narrowly beating the Dockers last week. Williams reportedly giving fairly frank feedback to the backline in the week leading up to the Dockers clash.

The speculations has also been that the future of Port Coach Mark Williams will be decided in the next 3 weeks so you’d have to think he will have attempted everything to have his players highly motivated and focused for this contest.

The key matchups:

I’ve not seen an enormous amount of Port this year. Their prime movers seem to be Pearce, K Cornes & Cassisi with Salopek and Surjan and Carr all capable of getting the pill, and Rodan, P Burgoyne as more dangerous users but not as high possession winners.

Picken V Pearce

Hudson & Minson V Lade & Brogan

Griffen V Cassissi – a little unsure about this – it might be a Boyd or Cross V Cassissi, and the other one will get Carr, but I cant see who they will match Griffen with as they wont want to let him run rampant.

Cooney V K Cornes

Lake V Tredrea

Hargrave V Motlop

Morris V Ebert

Hill V Krakouer – worth commenting on because they are too lightly framed guys with enormous talent

The result:

I expect us to have too much depth and class midfield. I think our engine room of Cross, Boyd, Gia, Hudson, Minson and Co can replicate anything the Port equivalent Carr, Surjan & Cassissi, Lade and Brogan etc throw at us.

And then I see us having too much outside running power. The Power cannot afford to let Cooney run free and K Cornes is an expert at playing on a good player and getting a lot of the ball. His possessions do not hurt the same way a Cooney or Griffens do but he’s a fine player. I just can’t see how they can curtail both Cooney and Griffen.

Further on the surface it looks like our defenders matchup well against their forwards, with Motlop obviously an extremely dangerous player. The one who might cause a complete re-shuffle is Westhoff, who unless Williams plays I can’t see an obvious matchup for.

I have some doubts how well suited Carlisle, Chaplain and Pettigrew are to our small/medium sized forward line of Aker, Johnson, Hill, Welsh etc.

Just cant help but feel that the absence of Shaun Burgoyne and Chad Cornes make this a very difficult assignment for the Power.

Lights out for Power at TIO!

Dogs by 43 points

Scraggers
10-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Great review BR ...

I agree with you that our midfield will dominate ... The form of Cassisi, Tredrea, and Salopek worries me with this one as Port's movement of the ball (especially against Sydney) has been super quick when they play direct football. When Cassisi, Tredrea, and Salopek are firing they play very direct footy.

To me the x-factor of this game will be the Darwin experience ... with both clubs vying for the rights to hold two home games a season in Darwin a victory here and in turn an increased fan base, could go a long way to sealing a deal.

Bulldogs by 27 points in a tough encounter

aker39
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
To me the x-factor of this game will be the Darwin experience ...

I've mentioned this before, but I'm pissed off with the AFL for continually sending Port to Darwin to play against us. All that does is lesson any advantage we may get from playing in Darwin each year.

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Okay, Williams is no chance to play.

Injury-prone defender Tom Williams will not be among them, still experiencing swelling and soreness from a nagging foot injury.

Bulldog Revolution
10-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Injury-prone defender Tom Williams will not be among them, still experiencing swelling and soreness from a nagging foot injury.

Means we have an interesting decision to be made with respect to matching up JWesthoff in the backline

Either they leave Tiller in with the thinking he can take him, which runs contrary to the latest WOOF thinking being that Tiller is doing better on guys not as tall as Wethoff

or

Everitt comes in to take him - but again Everitt has not shone yet when matched up on talls

or

Could Cam Wight come into calculations?

Or do we rejig all the matchups sending Lake to Westhoff, maybe Morris to Tredrea, Hargrave staying on Motlop and maybe Tiller or Callan to Ebert?

Thoughts??

ledge
10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Good question Arkie, and on that point isnt it great we can shuffle our backline around due to the versatility, this means we arent predictable as we have many who can do different jobs.
If we our own supporters dont know the matchups well it must be hard for the opposition.

Mantis
10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Nice preview BR.

The defensive match-up's will be interesting as you have alluded to in both of your posts. I think Lake must go to Tredrea & Morris to Motlop, but then after that it's a bit of a raffle. As reported if Williams doesn't play one of Tiller or Everitt probably have to and with Everitt not rating a mention, one would expect Tiller to keep his place. We probably can't allow Westhoff to run around with a much smaller opponent and perhaps 'Choco' Williams may send Pettigrew up forward as he did well in a corresponding match a few years back.

Anyway much of that shouldn't matter because our midfield should really be able to exert it's influence on the game from the get-go. The ruck duels should be well fought out, but at ground level we look to have way more depth and class compared to a Port team missing a few of it's keys.

Mantis
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Good question Arkie, and on that point isnt it great we can shuffle our backline around due to the versatility, this means we arent predictable as we have many who can do different jobs.
If we our own supporters dont know the matchups well it must be hard for the opposition.

What question?

I just see a statement followed by a grab from an article.

Mofra
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Mantis, ledge might have been responding to BR instead.

In any case, the loss of Williams does present a problem because even Tiller fans (ie me) will have to admit that the height differential with Westoff is too great an obstacle to overcome, especially after being beaten in the past two weeks in the seniors.

Wight's name was mentioned but we didn't play him late last year when we needed a CHB so it would be hard to see him coming into the side now. We may just persist with Tiller and get a tighter zone formed or bring in Everitt and hope he can play taller (although he is only 2-3cm taller than Tiller).

Rocket Science
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the preview BR...

Port's recent injuries may grant Krakouer a reprieve, but handy as he's been in the early going it's worth noting he's not a certain starter for them at the minute. Was 'omitted' last week versus Freo after missing the previous week due to 'general soreness'.

G-Mo77
10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Means we have an interesting decision to be made with respect to matching up JWesthoff in the backline

Either they leave Tiller in with the thinking he can take him, which runs contrary to the latest WOOF thinking being that Tiller is doing better on guys not as tall as Wethoff

or

Everitt comes in to take him - but again Everitt has not shone yet when matched up on talls

or

Could Cam Wight come into calculations?

Or do we rejig all the matchups sending Lake to Westhoff, maybe Morris to Tredrea, Hargrave staying on Motlop and maybe Tiller or Callan to Ebert?

Thoughts??

I think Tiller will stay in and probably run with Westhoff. I guess Everitt could be an outside chance there.

I really haven't seen a lot of Port this year, will they try Lade up forward a bit more to try and stretch us?

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
What question?

I just see a statement followed by a grab from an article.

He obviously meant someone elses username.

bornadog
10-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I am expecting a big win over in Darwin. Really, Port has been up and down this year and when they have lost, its been mainly by huge margins. We are running hot and will continue on our merry way this Saturday.

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Eade does not try to make to many changes. Interesting Welsh an Murphy have gone up North so I would expect them to play. Stack will be out not sure who else but would not surprise me if Tiller is out as well and Eade just matches up the backs as best as he can.

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I am expecting a big win over in Darwin. Really, Port has been up and down this year and when they have lost, its been mainly by huge margins. We are running hot and will continue on our merry way this Saturday.

I don't expect anything as this has been such a strange season with so many clubs up and down. Port when on song are very dangerous. Like us they have been doing the High Humidity training so I expect they will up for this game.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Nice preview.

If Picken goes to Pearce, which seems likely given Shaun B is out, then Pearce will have a very disappointing night I feel. Don't think he'll be able to handle to Picken tag too well, should be a great match up for us if it happens.

Toby Thurstans played last week for Port, what do we do in the scenario he plays forward as well?

Rocco Jones
10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Great review BR but last time around Morris and Shaggy did great jobs on Motlop and Ebert respectively and I see no reason to change those match ups.

Assuming we are anything resembling on, I think Port has a game style suiting us. They have a players who run forward of the ball (trying to be nice) and if we work hard, I think we should kill them. Obviously, if we are off they can really punish us. The conditions associated with Darwin will make the willingness to run hard even more important.

Sockeye Salmon
10-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Toby Thurstans played last week for Port, what do we do in the scenario he plays forward as well?

Play Lindsay Gilbee on him.

Thurstons is too poo to do any harm and Gilbee will run off him and rip them to shreds.

dog town
10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Strange side Port...the overwhelming public opinion seems to be that Port is a side that doesnt work hard enough in a scrap. Most people see them as a side that goes missing when the heat is on and does the easy thing first. I have seen a bit of them this season and to watch them my first reaction has been the same as most peoples...insipid. I couldnt believe my eyes the other night to see they are ranked number 1 in the league for average contested possessions versus opponents. It makes it hard to really pin point where they are going wrong. Watching live they seemed to have no feeling for each other, lacked intensity, didnt work hard enough and took the easy option first everytime. They certainly have some damaging players so a good start will be helpful in bringing out the characteristics I just mentioned.

Pearce has been the first player tagged for them almost all season. Has blistering pace and even better foot passing especially going inside 50. Would be quite shocked if Picken didnt get him.

Tredrea has got a hell of a lot of gift goals this season. If Lake is switched on he will murder him imo.

Rocco Jones
10-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Strange side Port...the overwhelming public opinion seems to be that Port is a side that doesnt work hard enough in a scrap. Most people see them as a side that goes missing when the heat is on and does the easy thing first. I have seen a bit of them this season and to watch them my first reaction has been the same as most peoples...insipid. I couldnt believe my eyes the other night to see they are ranked number 1 in the league for average contested possessions versus opponents.

Stats can be very funny sometimes. I have bigger questions about their willingness to run the other way than I do about their hardness at an immediate contest. Not doing the running required to consistently create a contest can artificially decrease the amount of contested possessions for the opposition.

I think I am checking the same stat you mentioned (Eagles are #1 in the one I am looking at, with Port 2nd), interesting that the Swans sit last and we are 3rd.

LostDoggy
10-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Tiller and stack will be dropped. Murphy will play with a possibility of welsh and everitt to come in

AndrewP6
10-06-2009, 10:38 PM
My pick is Dogs by 17...don't think we're gonna waltz away in this one... jeez I hope I'm dead wrong, and we belt 'em!

Ozza
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Is there a possibility that Gilbee could miss with the ankle thats been troubling him? Or even Higgins who was icing up his knee after Friday's match? I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two missed.

I agree with the consensus that this game should suit us. I really think we can belt Port - they are ripe for the picking, we can cover their key players and I think we are too strong across the board with run for them.

I can't stand Port - they love to bully the weaker sides - but go to water against good teams - hope we give them a flogging they so richly deserve!

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I think these 4 points up for grabs are massive! To go into the break 8-4 would be a very good position, but very unsure what will happen. Port are so hot/cold..will we see the awesome Port or the easily defeated Port? Hopefully the latter. Will be a very good match either way, looking forward to Picken tagging K.Cornes at some point..cant let him rip through us like last year. Also wouldn't mind if Rodan kicks a couple for us.

Mofra
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I think these 4 points up for grabs are massive! To go into the break 8-4 would be a very good position
It could feasibly leave us 2 games clear of 5th position, which would be very handy in cementing a top 4 spot. Big game for us.

bornadog
11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Is there a possibility that Gilbee could miss with the ankle thats been troubling him? Or even Higgins who was icing up his knee after Friday's match? I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two missed.

I agree with the consensus that this game should suit us. I really think we can belt Port - they are ripe for the picking, we can cover their key players and I think we are too strong across the board with run for them.

I can't stand Port - they love to bully the weaker sides - but go to water against good teams - hope we give them a flogging they so richly deserve!

It would be a good idea to rest Gilbee if the ankle is still troubling him, this is the ideal week.

Mantis
11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I think these 4 points up for grabs are massive! To go into the break 8-4 would be a very good position, but very unsure what will happen. Port are so hot/cold..will we see the awesome Port or the easily defeated Port? Hopefully the latter. Will be a very good match either way, looking forward to Picken tagging K.Cornes at some point..cant let him rip through us like last year. Also wouldn't mind if Rodan kicks a couple for us.

I wouldn't have thought so.

Picken has been tagging the outside running types (Harvey, Deledio, Davey) rather than the in & under types. I would think, as someone else suggested, that Picken will line up on Pearce. I would think that Cornes will try and run with Cooney or Griffen or perhaps be picked up by Boyd or Cross.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't have thought so.

Picken has been tagging the outside running types (Harvey, Deledio, Davey) rather than the in & under types. I would think, as someone else suggested, that Picken will line up on Pearce. I would think that Cornes will try and run with Cooney or Griffen or perhaps be picked up by Boyd or Cross.

Yeah your prob spot on but I wouldn't mind seeing him have a go..if Cornes gets off to a good half..see if Picken could keep him quiet. Im a fan of K.Cornes, and have him in my DT so hopefully he gets plenty of non-damaging posessions ;)

G-Mo77
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Looking at Ports side it is obvious they are going to try and stretch us in the back half. Meyer has been brought in so I think Lade will spend most of his time as a forward while he and Brogan will do most of the ruck duties.

(It's bloody hard typing when it is so fricking cold)

Mofra
12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Looking at Ports side it is obvious they are going to try and stretch us in the back half. Meyer has been brought in so I think Lade will spend most of his time as a forward while he and Brogan will do most of the ruck duties.
With Williams out it's a fair tack to try and win, however I'm hoping that greasy conditions prevail and we can kill them on the rebound.

Mantis
12-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Lets hope so as Huddo & Minson will have a field day.;)

FWIW Meyer is listed at 183cm & 74kg.... You might have your players mixed up.

lemmon
12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
It will be interesting to see who Harbrow matches up on his week, perhaps Rodan?

G-Mo77
12-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Lets hope so as Huddo & Minson will have a field day.;)

FWIW Meyer is listed at 183cm & 74kg.... You might have your players mixed up.

Yeah I must have, for some reason I thought he was a back up ruckman at the Tiges. :o

Lade will be a resting ruck which sounds better to me.

Bulldog Revolution
12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
With Williams out it's a fair tack to try and win, however I'm hoping that greasy conditions prevail and we can kill them on the rebound.

I guess that is the plan

Welsh will presumably play after sparkling in Canberra, but Murph would appear to be in some doubt - with Tiller the likely replacement

I would think, as someone else suggested, that Picken will line up on Pearce. I would think that Cornes will try and run with Cooney or Griffen or perhaps be picked up by Boyd or Cross.

That's very much the way I saw it unfolding midfield.

I think Cornes will go to Cooney - but they might surprise and put him on Griffen, but assuming he goes to Cooney, then Cassissi might then get Griffen.

And then that would mean Salopek and Carr would then matchup on Boyd and Cross - I think we've got an edge here in that I would have thought Boyd and Cross are better runners than Salopek and Carr - and Boyd is more damaging with his touches

Sockeye Salmon
12-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't get why Port are playing two ruckmen, Tredrea and a couple of Westhoffs.

They know it's going to be sweaty and there won't be many big grabs taken; so I think two of these 5 will usually be on the bench - in the most physically demanding environment we go to.

Their midfield will be done and dusted half way through the 3rd.

Rocco Jones
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't get why Port are playing two ruckmen, Tredrea and a couple of Westhoffs.

They know it's going to be sweaty and there won't be many big grabs taken; so I think two of these 5 will usually be on the bench - in the most physically demanding environment we go to.

Their midfield will be done and dusted half way through the 3rd.

Yeah I agree.

Undersized > top heavy in Darwin. I think Tiller is worth a spot in the 22 but can see the advantage of going for running depth in Darwin. I just don't want us to move Shaggy or Morris off dangerous opponents they are suited to just so we can match Lade or the Westhoffs for height if they are providing a handful.

Mantis
12-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah I agree.

Undersized > top heavy in Darwin. I think Tiller is worth a spot in the 22 but can see the advantage of going for running depth in Darwin. I just don't want us to move Shaggy or Morris off dangerous opponents they are suited to just so we can match Lade or the Westhoffs for height if they are providing a handful.

I think that's an important point. Last year Morris & Hargrave owned Motlop & Ebert and I hope to see the same thing occur this time.

Bulldog Revolution
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I think that's an important point. Last year Morris & Hargrave owned Motlop & Ebert and I hope to see the same thing occur this time.

They are crucial matchups as Ebert and Motlop are there two forwards who are most likely to be potential matchwinners.

The ground is small and there will be a high number of forward 50 entries, and lots of crumbs for clever small to midsized guys to get onto

If Tiller comes into the side I can believe he can do a job on Westhoff. He wasn't great against Richmond but I think it was an off game more than anything else. I'm a staunch Tiller supporter.

Happy Days
12-06-2009, 10:21 PM

They're trying to monster our rapidly-growing backline, not factoring in mobility or climate, or the sheer stupidity of the idea as result of these two factors.

Their loss.

LostDoggy
13-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Is the match going to be on radio? I'll be at a wedding reception :(

The Coon Dog
13-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Is the match going to be on radio? I'll be at a wedding reception :(

Yes arkie, on SEN (1116) & 3LO (774). Just remember it starts a little earlier than in the past at 6.40pm local time (7.10pm Melb).

hujsh
13-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes arkie, on SEN (1116) & 3LO (774). Just remember it starts a little earlier than in the past at 6.40pm local time (7.10pm Melb).

Isn't 774 ABC?

azabob
13-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Isn't 774 ABC?

Yes, but they use to be known as 3LO.
Just like the following should still be known as the following, Kardina Park, Princess Park, Docklands, Victoria Park & some could argue Footscray and Western Oval.

The Coon Dog
13-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, but they use to be known as 3LO.
Just like the following should still be known as the following, Kardina Park, Princess Park, Docklands, Victoria Park & some could argue Footscray and Western Oval.

I didn't know they weren't 3LO, gee, what an out of date so & so I am! :eek:

Bumper Bulldogs
13-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Great review BR ...

To me the x-factor of this game will be the Darwin experience ... with both clubs vying for the rights to hold two home games a season in Darwin a victory here and in turn an increased fan base, could go a long way to sealing a deal.

Not sure I'm keen on two game a year in Darwin.

i might feel better if the AFL played a 4 and 4 in the split round and put the dogs on free to air saturday night. Thought it would rate in at least two states.

Bumper Bulldogs
13-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Play Lindsay Gilbee on him.

Thurstons is too poo to do any harm and Gilbee will run off him and rip them to shreds.

Like it!!!

No I like it a lot!:D

azabob
13-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I didn't know they weren't 3LO, gee, what an out of date so & so I am! :eek:

Not exactly sure when they changed but they always call themselves something like ABC Grandstand on 774 Melbourne.
Just remember TCD its not always the best thing being "in date"

aker39
14-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I've mentioned this before, but I'm pissed off with the AFL for continually sending Port to Darwin to play against us. All that does is lesson any advantage we may get from playing in Darwin each year.

I've changed my mind.

Let's play Port Adelaide there every year::p:D:p