PDA

View Full Version : Campbell Rose calls for more members

BulldogBelle
10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Membership....

Campbell Rose calls for more members (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25618005-19742,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Jon Ralph | June 11, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose has delivered a sharp wake-up call to the club's supporters, warning the Dogs cannot become an elite club unless their fans become members. The Dogs have only 26,981 members, still short of last year's total of 28,306, and are unlikely to reach the 2008 club record of 28,725.

There are 6300 from last season still to sign up and the club believes its churn rate of nearly 25 per cent is unacceptably high.

Rose said yesterday the club had delivered on its promise to play exciting, competitive football, and deliver a financially stable administration with a newly developed Whitten Oval.

Rose's target is not families or individuals struggling to make ends meet, but those who can afford a membership yet choose not to commit.

"It's our last area of cultural taboo and we haven't been able to break it. We just don't get membership on board the way they join other clubs," Rose said.

"We have removed all the barriers to joining up, and there should be no excuses. We don't want to be leaping towards just getting to (last year's) total, we want to be surging through it."

While Bulldogs president David Smorgon has in the past been forced to plead for members so the club can stem the bleeding, Rose says the club is now in a different place.

"It's the last area the Bulldogs haven't been able to shake off yet and it's reflected by this year. We are third on the ladder and one of the most exciting teams to watch, and yet we can't seem to be able to break through that 30,000-member mark. Why is it?"

While several low-drawing clubs such as North Melbourne say they are doing well to maximise membership figures, the Dogs say there is an untapped market of supporters out there.

Their AusKick figures show they have strong support in the community.

"Our target is to get to 32,000 members," Rose said.

"We have had a phenomenal redevelopment, we have turned the finances of the club around. We are no longer the bleating, battling club. We are now beginning to mix it with the powerhouses, and we are not getting the support we deserve."

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 05:03 AM
There are 6300 from last season still to sign up and the club believes its churn rate of nearly 25 per cent is unacceptably high.

Why would this be so?

Desipura
11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Why would this be so?
All the media talk about Geelong and St Kilda being the best team going around puts negative thoughts into our supporters minds.
Constant speculation about us not being able to win a premiership without a key forward will also have something to do with it.
Part of the Solution 1: win this years premiership will help
Part of the solution 2: If we do not win the GF, MUST GET PAVLICH
Watch them jump on board in 2010!

bornadog
11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
All the media talk about Geelong and St Kilda being the best team going around puts negative thoughts into our supporters minds.
Constant speculation about us not being able to win a premiership without a key forward will also have something to do with it.
Part of the Solution 1: win this years premiership will help
Part of the solution 2: If we do not win the GF, MUST GET PAVLICH
Watch them jump on board in 2010!

What you say is true, however, we have to start getting into peoples minds that a membership ticket is not just a means of going to games. A membership to the club is about supporting your club and being part of a community.

If we don't get a couple more thousand members signed up, financially we could be looking at a loss of funds of nearly $400,000

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know if the club contacts those who have not re-joined to ascertain reasons?

Mantis
11-06-2009, 09:37 AM
If we don't get a couple more thousand members signed up, financially we could be looking at a loss of funds of nearly $2 million.

Now I was ok at maths, but something doesn't work out with your figures.

2000 (more members) x $180 (basic membership cost??) = $380,000

Not sure where you pulled the $2 million figure from?

bornadog
11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Now I was ok at maths, but something doesn't work out with your figures.

2000 (more members) x $180 (basic membership cost??) = $380,000

Not sure where you pulled the $2 million figure from?

Actually should be $360,000, but yeah, I did pull that one out of my you know what, don't know what I was thinking, sorry, will change post.

Cyberdoggie
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Why would this be so?

the GFC?

I can understand people scalling back their membership options but to not sign up at all?

Perhaps a flag will change things

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
the GFC?

If that was the case, I'd expect all clubs to show a similar level of churn.

Gotta be something that needs getting to the bottom of!

Desipura
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM
What you say is true, however, we have to start getting into peoples minds that a membership ticket is not just a means of going to games. A membership to the club is about supporting your club and being part of a community.

If we don't get a couple more thousand members signed up, financially we could be looking at a loss of funds of nearly $400,000
Where I live in Sanctuary Lakes, we have new estates near me being built left right and centre (off Sneydes Road) unfortunately Geelong Footy club have put their name against a new pokies/bistro there that has just opened up. These sort of things should not happen in our own backyard. I thought we would have learnt from Hawthorn FC getting into Caroline Springs.
Unfortunately some things are out of the clubs hands.

LostDoggy
11-06-2009, 12:50 PM

I agree totally but I'm not sure how it's done. Even if I didn't go to games, I would still purchase a membership, as I have always seen it as my way of supporting the club financially. How do we change people's mindset? I understand some are doing it tough financially, but the club has been very generous in allowing people to make monthly payments on their membership, kind of like a lay-by. I'm not sure what else they can do? I personally have met a few who are avid Bulldog supporters, and when I ask about membership, they say no...... I get invited to corporate functions, why should I get a membership? Unfortunately, this just seems to be the attitude of some. Yes, a premiership would undoubtedly help, but surely it's about sticking with your club financially and emotionally through the good times and the bad? I know I couldn't barrack or support another club if we went under :(

Mantis
11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Actually should be $360,000, but yeah, I did pull that one out of my you know what, don't know what I was thinking, sorry, will change post.

Yeah I said I was ok at maths, not great.:)

BulldogBelle
11-06-2009, 03:51 PM
The high churn rate is very frustrating when you consider my brother buys a family membership for himself - 1 person. He has been doing this for several years to help the club.

While l have a family membership l also buy my 2 nephews memberships and get an additional 2 adult memberships thru my Bulldogs Freindly Business sponsorship of the club.

How many other members by memberships for other people or family?

l would think there would be a few on this board.

Mitcha
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
While l have a family membership l also buy my 2 nephews memberships and get an additional 2 adult memberships thru my Bulldogs Freindly Business sponsorship of the club.

Dogs Bollocks, congratulations for supporting the club through your business. Give yourself a plug. Also interested to know if you have had much support from club members since the program began.

BulldogBelle
12-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Dogs Bollocks, congratulations for supporting the club through your business. Give yourself a plug. Also interested to know if you have had much support from club members since the program began.

l will be honest and say l have not had any as of yet. It is only early days so we will see what happens.

But l would not care if l did not get one customer out of this. This may sound stupid but it just makes me feel good giving money to the dogs.

But if your after a quality carpet, upholstery, or Tile & Grout cleaner in the Western Suburbs give Revolution Cleaning a call 9741 4808

bornadog
12-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I personally have met a few who are avid Bulldog supporters, and when I ask about membership, they say no...... I get invited to corporate functions, why should I get a membership? (

These are the exact people that really get on my nerves, and I am sure we all know someone like this. This is a cultural thing and more so with Bulldogs fans. I have worked with people like this and I have told them, don't talk to meet about football on Monday morning unless you are a member;)

BulldogBelle
03-08-2009, 11:33 PM
l will be honest and say l have not had any as of yet. It is only early days so we will see what happens.

But l would not care if l did not get one customer out of this. This may sound stupid but it just makes me feel good giving money to the dogs.

But if your after a quality carpet, upholstery, or Tile & Grout cleaner in the Western Suburbs give Revolution Cleaning a call 9741 4808

Just to let you know that l have now had two jobs througth the Bulldogs Freindly Business discount coupons that were posted out to members a couple of weeks ago.

AndrewP6
04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Campbell sounds angry...and rightfully so. 6300 unsigned is terrible. And he's right, we won't be able to take the extra leap until we get that backing.