PDA

View Full Version : Betezy and the Western Bulldogs – a winning quinella

The Coon Dog
11-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Betezy and the Western Bulldogs – a winning quinella (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/78623/default.aspx)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/bulldogs_docs/betezy-image_246x316a.jpg

The Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce a new three year partnership with one of Australia’s leading betting agency’s Betezy and the launch of the new site www.doggiesbet.com.au to service members and supporters.

Betezy, an AFL approved betting provider, is one of seven sports wagering providers to have signed an information-sharing agreement with the AFL.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive, Campbell Rose said, “This is an important addition to the Club’s list of corporate partners. It is exciting to secure a three year agreement which provides the opportunity to make the partnership rewarding for both parties as well as our Club members.”

“Doggiesbet.com.au will help support our Club’s community activities as well as our ongoing Football operations,” Rose said.

Betezy CEO, Vince McDonald, said the company accepts telephone and internet bets on racing, sports and entertainment and was one of a number of sports betting providers approved by the AFL on 1 January 2009.

“We are proud to be associated with the Western Bulldogs, a club that has a strong community focus and is positioned in one of the fastest growing regions in Australia.” McDonald said.

comrade
11-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Any estimate of the financials behind it?

GVGjr
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Outstanding news. The additional sponsorship will help the club.

Rocket Science
11-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Betezy and the Western Bulldogs – a winning quinella (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/78623/default.aspx)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/bulldogs_docs/betezy-image_246x316a.jpg

The Western Bulldogs are pleased to announce a new three year partnership with one of Australia’s leading betting agency’s Betezy and the launch of the new site www.doggiesbet.com.au to service members and supporters.

Betezy, an AFL approved betting provider, is one of seven sports wagering providers to have signed an information-sharing agreement with the AFL.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive, Campbell Rose said, “This is an important addition to the Club’s list of corporate partners. It is exciting to secure a three year agreement which provides the opportunity to make the partnership rewarding for both parties as well as our Club members.”

“Doggiesbet.com.au will help support our Club’s community activities as well as our ongoing Football operations,” Rose said.

Betezy CEO, Vince McDonald, said the company accepts telephone and internet bets on racing, sports and entertainment and was one of a number of sports betting providers approved by the AFL on 1 January 2009.

“We are proud to be associated with the Western Bulldogs, a club that has a strong community focus and is positioned in one of the fastest growing regions in Australia.” McDonald said.

Yeah, and also amongst the most generous to calculated gaming magnates. I don't relish the idea of the 'community club' being used as diplomatic cover for these mobs.

To "service" members and supporters? Positive news for the club, but don't dress it up as something it's not. It's a state sanctioned licence to steal.

The AFL has no balls.

Mofra
11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, and also amongst the most generous to calculated gaming magnates. I don't relish the idea of the 'community club' being used as diplomatic cover for these mobs.

To "service" members and supporters? Positive news for the club, but don't dress it up as something it's not. It's a state sanctioned licence to steal.

The AFL has no balls.
RS, I know you have an (admirable) aversion to gambling organisations, however this seems to be merely a "white-label" type of arrangement, which would leave plenty of room for them to leverage off every other organisation in the community if 100 others refuse.

Rocket Science
11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm no moral crusader and truth be known don't even harbour any particular grudge against gambling as a concept in its own right, it's more the colossal extent to which the gaming industry has infiltrated this bloody state, and made government at all levels subservient in the process.

Then there's the destructive fallout for indviduals, families and communities alike, while these pricks count their cash.

They prey on morons, drones, and the weak. I'm all for personal responsibility, as long as it's married with corporate responsibility and principled governance.

Mantis
11-06-2009, 07:36 PM
They prey on morons, drones, and the weak. I'm all for personal responsibility, as long as it's married with corporate responsibility and principled governance.

And there I was about to join up to my 5th online betting account, not now!!

Remi Moses
11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Warning moral police approaching. RESPONSIBLE ADULTS SHOULD MAKE RESPONSIBLE DECISIONS. great news,morons and drones will always get their fix anywhere.

Remi Moses
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM

The AFL has no balls.

yeah I hear what you're saying but I also want a FOOTBALL CLUB TO FOLLOW for years to come! I adress my question mark over the thousands who haven't re-signed:confused:

GVGjr
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I guess this is the sponsorship that replaces EzyBonds who couldn't commit for this year.

I wonder if their logo will appear on the shorts?

I also wonder that given that they are a Northern Territory based company if it will have any influence in our plans to play a couple of games up in Darwin in the next few years or not?

Mantis
11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I wonder if their logo will appear on the shorts?

When we signed on with Mission Foods part of the deal was that they would have their logo appear on both our jumpers & shorts.

I think we may have under sold ourselves a little with the Mission deal.

bornadog
11-06-2009, 11:16 PM
When we signed on with Mission Foods part of the deal was that they would have their logo appear on both our jumpers & shorts.

I think we may have under sold ourselves a little with the Mission deal.

Can't we have two logos?

bulldogsman
11-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I’m pretty disappointed in the club for going down this path. I’ve already written an email to the club about the extra poker machines put in place and what effects it can have. I’ve seen someone’s life be destroyed from it!

Which is why I will not be a member of a club which is supporting gambling!

immortalmike
12-06-2009, 02:35 AM
I’m pretty disappointed in the club for going down this path. I’ve already written an email to the club about the extra poker machines put in place and what effects it can have. I’ve seen someone’s life be destroyed from it!

Firstly, there are no new poker machines being introduced. It's just the same ones being moved up a couple of blocks.

Secondly, moral high horses are fine but are you similarly not supporting anything with cigarette, fast food and alcohol sponsorships, all which destroy more lives than gambling could ever hope to. If you can honestly say you don't support any organization with those types of sponsors then fair enough and by all means continue with your moral crusade. However, if you do, take a good hard look at the hypocrite staring at you in the mirror mate.

Unfortunately, (as with cigarettes and alcohol) gambling is both harmful and legal. The Doggies admin are just doing what needs to be done for us to be financially viable, and we do a whole hell of alot more good in the community than we do bad. That is more than some other clubs who have stronger ties with gambling establishments. So personally my problem with this is minimal at worst.

firstdogonthemoon
12-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I think this is disappointing. But not particularly surprising.

As for those of you who want to complain about people and their moral high horses, personal responsibility and not doing anything to stop tobacco or alcohol abuse, go f**k your yourselves.

The evidence is in, gambling is incredibly damaging to those affected by it aversely. The club has other options and is not choosing to use them. So be it.

But don't come on here and sook about political correctness and crow about washing your hands of any social responsibility for people who make poor choices for any number of reasons that are none of your business.

Moral high horses indeed, you are a pack of heartless cowards who celebrate putting your football club over the needs of actual humans. Not even the club is doing that.

GVGjr
12-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I understand this is an issue for a lot of people and I'm sure the club thought long and hard about it. Rather than get stuck into each other I suggest that those who aren't comfortable with the clubs decision follow Bulldogmans lead and contact the club. The decisions been made and we won't resolve it.

aker39
12-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I understand this is an issue for a lot of people and I'm sure the club thought long and hard about it. Rather than get stuck into each other I suggest that those who aren't comfortable with the clubs decision follow Bulldogmans lead and contact the club. The decisions been made and we won't resolve it.

Just make sure you get your facts right when you contact the club, unlike Bulldogsman.

firstdogonthemoon
12-06-2009, 09:10 AM

No, I'd rather get stuck into each other. I am quite accepting of the club's decision, they are running a business and doing nothing illegal. The morality of it is a whole different issue, however I also accept that the club's view differs from mine.

But I reserve the right to bitch and moan about the heartless sods on this board who would be the first to squeal (and put their hands out) if the government or some corporation did something that adversely affected them or their families but are happy to turn a blind eye to the suffering of others because it will be advantageous to our glorious club.

That being said, I feel much better now and I think I might go and have a lie down.

G-Mo77
12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I just signed up with them. :)

I've got no problems with them as a sponser. If it helps my team out I'm all for it.

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Gambling!!! Im there!

Goooooooooo Doggies!

Twodogs
12-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I just signed up with them. :)

I've got no problems with them as a sponser. If it helps my team out I'm all for it.

Me too. I've had all sorts of problems with addictions but betting has never been one.

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
No, I'd rather get stuck into each other. I am quite accepting of the club's decision, they are running a business and doing nothing illegal. The morality of it is a whole different issue, however I also accept that the club's view differs from mine.

But I reserve the right to bitch and moan about the heartless sods on this board who would be the first to squeal (and put their hands out) if the government or some corporation did something that adversely affected them or their families but are happy to turn a blind eye to the suffering of others because it will be advantageous to our glorious club.

Such as yourself?

bulldogsman
12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Just make sure you get your facts right when you contact the club, unlike Bulldogsman.

Yeah fair enough and the club has already pointed this out to me. But that doesn't matter, the point still stands. I can't be supporting something that supports gambling.

Secondly, moral high horses are fine but are you similarly not supporting anything with cigarette, fast food and alcohol sponsorships, all which destroy more lives than gambling could ever hope to. If you can honestly say you don't support any organization with those types of sponsors then fair enough and by all means continue with your moral crusade. However, if you do, take a good hard look at the hypocrite staring at you in the mirror mate.

Unfortunately, (as with cigarettes and alcohol) gambling is both harmful and legal. The Doggies admin are just doing what needs to be done for us to be financially viable, and we do a whole hell of alot more good in the community than we do bad. That is more than some other clubs who have stronger ties with gambling establishments. So personally my problem with this is minimal at worst.

Mate I don't support any of this, nor do I do any of this except for eating fast food. I admit i'm not strongly against fast food but that's because i think it isn't as bad as the others. Does that make me a hypocrite? I guess your going to call me a lier now.

It doesn't matter if they are doing more good then bad and I don't care if their using that gambling money to help with other peoples needs. It's not right and I can't sit back and see people's lives be destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if the club gets more pokies or becomes more involved with this sponsor deal. There's a lot of money to be gained and it can be hard to pass down more.

The Coon Dog
12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Whether we like it or not, gambling is not illegal & all clubs are raking a cut from it, some in 'our own backyard' (Hawthorn - Caroline Springs, Collingwood - Caroline Springs, Geelong - Point Cook, Essendon - Melton).

Taking the high moral ground is all good & well, but if we're the only team not deriving revenue from it, don't grizzle when unpalatable decisions are made as a result of the bottom line.

Twodogs
12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Whether we like it or not, gambling is not illegal & all clubs are raking a cut from it, some in 'our own backyard' (Hawthorn - Caroline Springs, Collingwood - Caroline Springs, Geelong - Point Cook, Essendon - Melton).

Taking the high moral ground is all good & well, but if we're the only team not deriving revenue from it, don't grizzle when unpalatable decisions are made as a result of the bottom line.

Precisely, it's gonna happen whether we like it or not because if we dont other clubs will.

We can either be extinct with an untroubled consience or we can get with the program and survive. People are going to gamble whether it's Hawthorn, Richmond or the AFL providing the means-we arent saving anyone from themselves if we dont do it.

Desipura
12-06-2009, 01:17 PM
We all have choices in life, I choose not to gamble, well not seriously anyway.
It is an illness, the Bulldogs did not cause the illness nor did any other club who derive revenue this way.
I choose to drink in moderation (younger days excluded). I have had friends who are alcoholics, they chose it, it did not choose them. Sometimes we have to take responsibility of our lives and not blame others......

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I have no problem with it, its legal, petition your local member if you dont like it. Like anything the individual and parents have to take responsibility for being a gambling addict, alcoholic etc once it is a legal part of society. We dont want to miss the opportunity for a bit of moral high ground., especially when other (wealthier clubs) are raking in the profits. I am sure if the club had an equally profitable alternative they would have taken it.

immortalmike
12-06-2009, 02:18 PM

That being said, I feel much better now and I think I might go and have a lie down.

That's a nice strawman FDOTM calling people heartless sods when you don't know everyone's position on this issue. I actually agree with everything you wrote and am just as distressed at the amount of lives affected by gambling addiction but I'm also distressed about corporate greed, fast food addiction, alcoholism, and smoking, all of which are legal and destroy more people's lives than gambling addiction. My (and most others) issue is with the double standard of when its the Aussie cricketing team being sponsored by VB its fine, or the AFL being sponsored by Betfair, but when the doggies decide to get in on the legal action then the moral outcry begins. I hope you had a nice lie down by the way.

Mate I don't support any of this, nor do I do any of this except for eating fast food. I admit i'm not strongly against fast food but that's because i think it isn't as bad as the others. Does that make me a hypocrite? I guess your going to call me a lier now.

It doesn't matter if they are doing more good then bad and I don't care if their using that gambling money to help with other peoples needs. It's not right and I can't sit back and see people's lives be destroyed. I wouldn't be surprised if the club gets more pokies or becomes more involved with this sponsor deal. There's a lot of money to be gained and it can be hard to pass down more.

Interesting considering the childhood obesity epidemic in this country and the fact that most fast food 'restaurants' advertise directly to children. I'm not going to call you a liar mate, if you say you don't support any of the others fair enough. I'm just questioning whether your opposition is consistent, which to be honest I'm not totally sure it is. But you seem to be personally affected by this particular issue, which is not exactly conducive to objectivity. In the end it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

ledge
12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Damned if you do damned if you dont.
A necassary evil as far as survival is concerned.

G-Mo77
12-06-2009, 04:02 PM
We all have choices in life, I choose not to gamble, well not seriously anyway.
It is an illness, the Bulldogs did not cause the illness nor did any other club who derive revenue this way.
I choose to drink in moderation (younger days excluded). I have had friends who are alcoholics, they chose it, it did not choose them. Sometimes we have to take responsibility of our lives and not blame others......

Well said. To many people choose to point fingers rather than take resonsibility in todays society. I'll disagree on one thing gambling is not an illness. I don't think anything is when you have a choice to say yes or no. I'd be more inclined to call it stupidity rather than an illness. Probably sounds harsh to some but thats the way I feel about it.

firstdogonthemoon
12-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I was just being a troll. Sort of. People are so willing to condemn others for their own gain.

Desipura
12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Well said. To many people choose to point fingers rather than take resonsibility in todays society. I'll disagree on one thing gambling is not an illness. I don't think anything is when you have a choice to say yes or no. I'd be more inclined to call it stupidity rather than an illness. Probably sounds harsh to some but thats the way I feel about it.
When you become addicted to it, I think it is an illness

aker39
12-06-2009, 04:30 PM
When you become addicted to it, I think it is an illness

As is any addiction

The Adelaide Connection
12-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Warning moral police approaching. RESPONSIBLE ADULTS SHOULD MAKE RESPONSIBLE DECISIONS. great news,morons and drones will always get their fix anywhere.

This is a naive, uneducated stance. I wont bother talking to you about how it is an addiction, or telling all of the stories of the things I have seen when I was working in pubs during uni, or those since becoming a teacher, but I will leave you with this:

What about those adults who are "irresponsible" (when in fact addiction affects responsible people too but for arguments sake we will not go there) how do you feel about the effects on the families of these people? The children who are left in cars in the carpark at 1am in the morning and then shuffled along to school with no food? The oblivious partner who discovers they are about to lose their house?

I am not the moral police. I am not over the moon about the decision but as already mentioned the club is a business. I am not even against gambling, which can be enjoyable when people stay within their means and uderstand the odds.

But I am against this type of response. Addiction grabs at people from all walks of life. I hope you are not unfortunate enough to have someone you love affected by it.

The Adelaide Connection
12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
We all have choices in life

Do children of those who have become gambling addicts have a choice?

I agree that the addicted gambler needs to take responsibility, they can't just say "I saw it on the Buldogs shorts, it is their fault".

But there is a point where gambling becomes an illness, not a pastime, and it is at this point where the choices made are not going to be rational. Just ask Ben Cousins.

I do believe you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. The sponsorship aims to increase their account holders, increase the amount of bets they receive and will inevitably increase cases of problem gamblers.

I think the Western Bulldogs have a responsibility to contribute some of the money they are earning and put it into education, prevention of problem gambling and rehabilitation. Otherwise they have got a bit of blood on their hands.

Remi Moses
13-06-2009, 01:44 AM
This is a naive, uneducated stance. I wont bother talking to you about how it is an addiction, or telling all of the stories of the things I have seen when I was working in pubs during uni, or those since becoming a teacher, but I will leave you with this:

What about those adults who are "irresponsible" (when in fact addiction affects responsible people too but for arguments sake we will not go there) how do you feel about the effects on the families of these people? The children who are left in cars in the carpark at 1am in the morning and then shuffled along to school with no food? The oblivious partner who discovers they are about to lose their house?

I am not the moral police. I am not over the moon about the decision but as already mentioned the club is a business. I am not even against gambling, which can be enjoyable when people stay within their means and uderstand the odds.

But I am against this type of response. Addiction grabs at people from all walks of life. I hope you are not unfortunate enough to have someone you love affected by it.

Please don't refer to people as ''uneducated '' because they have differing views to yours. I'm not delighted by the sponsorship,but when it comes to the life or death of our club it's a necessary evil.

Desipura
13-06-2009, 10:08 AM

I am referring to people with addictions having a choice. There is no mention of the innocent children.

The Adelaide Connection
13-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Please don't refer to people as ''uneducated '' because they have differing views to yours. I'm not delighted by the sponsorship,but when it comes to the life or death of our club it's a necessary evil.

I didn't refer to you as uneducated, I referred to your opinion on the matter as uneducated, there is a world of difference.

The Adelaide Connection
13-06-2009, 10:44 AM

I am referring to people with addictions having a choice. There is no mention of the innocent children.

I know you were but what I was trying to point out is that it affects more than just "adults who should be able to make their own decisions".

The Coon Dog
13-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I know you were but what I was trying to point out is that it affects more than just "adults who should be able to make their own decisions".

You could also argue then that the children of alcoholics are adversely affected, but alcohol doesn't seem to be as 'on the nose' as gambling. Both are legal.

Desipura
13-06-2009, 10:52 AM
You could also argue then that the children of alcoholics are adversely affected, but alcohol doesn't seem to be as 'on the nose' as gambling. Both are legal.

Exactly!

The Adelaide Connection
13-06-2009, 12:24 PM

I would argue that, I totally agree. I also think that companies, clubs etc that make a profit from alcohol are responsible for contributing to alcohol programs in their community, just as I feel they should with gambling.

You can't eat your cake and expect it not to go to your arse too. Promoting alcohol, gambling etc will lead to problems for a minority, it is naive to think otherwise.

Remi Moses
13-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I didn't refer to you as uneducated, I referred to your opinion on the matter as uneducated, there is a world of difference.

Then how do you draw the assumption that I'm uneducated on the issue? What utterings on a Football Forum.My thought s are just that some life issues are optional that's all.
yes I've had mates with gambling issues,yes I've got a brother with serious gambling issues.

The Adelaide Connection
13-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Then how do you draw the assumption that I'm uneducated on the issue? What utterings on a Football Forum.My thought s are just that some life issues are optional that's all.
yes I've had mates with gambling issues,yes I've got a brother with serious gambling issues.

If you go back to the priginal post, I took the assumption that you were being naive and making uneducated comments from the comment you posted which was:

Sarcastically referring to those who take issue with those who speak against the evils of gambling is one thing, but taking the position that people who end up with gambling problems are "morons, drones" etc and that "responsible adults should make responsible decisions" is, in my opinion, a naive and uneducated response.

I have seen people from the unemployed to heads of companies and everywhere inbetween who have developed problems and often it is conjunction with other issues that the gambling then heightens and that in turn feeds the gambling in an often unbreakable catch 22. Depression and gambling, in particular, is as volatile as brake fluid and chlorine and anyone with a reasonable understanding of the back story of the Whitlams song can tell you that.

It suprises me that if you have been exposed to problem gamblers that you would dismiss the problem so lightly and peddle the "responsible adults should be responsible" line. Whilst I make no excuses for those who develop problems and agree they need to take responsibility, I understand that there are more complex issues that can fuel the problem. Irrational/desperate/depressed people make ill informed decisions at times.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2009, 05:58 PM
We sold a little of our soul for presumably a large sum of money.

We did nothing illegal, but legality and morality are two different things. Our sponsorship comes from the profits of a company that makes money from some people with chronic problems that create socialital problems that directly lead to crime and social breakdowns. Lets not kid ourselves. We have 'sold out' to a certain extent. Fact.

The flip side is, our club is in a stronger position to remain in it's place and profitable for the longer term. That from a selfish point of view is a good thing from the WBFC perspective. So be it, the decision is made and we move on.

Remi Moses
14-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Where does it all end ? I mean Australians are accumulating millions of credit card debt. We have the second highest obesity rate!Unfortunately as stated previously the sponsorship is aneccesary evil.

Remi Moses
14-06-2009, 03:35 AM

Final paragraph sums it up perfectly

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Adelaide Connection, are you actually... Nick Xenophon...?

;)

The Adelaide Connection
14-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Where does it all end ? I mean Australians are accumulating millions of credit card debt. We have the second highest obesity rate!Unfortunately as stated previously the sponsorship is aneccesary evil.

I agree with that. That is not the bone of contention.

The Adelaide Connection
14-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Adelaide Connection, are you actually... Nick Xenophon...?

;)

Ha ha, no. But now that you mention it do you know why Nick X despises the pokies so much? I had a friend at another pub that told me that he, allegedly of course, had a bit of a pokie problem and it just about ruined his life. Unlike many others he was able to turn it around.

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Well may I suggest that you go forth and multiply, albeit with yourself for obvious reasons. :)

Topdog
15-06-2009, 05:40 PM
So anyway.... does this site have any promotional codes or something before I sign up.

G-Mo77
15-06-2009, 05:57 PM
So anyway.... does this site have any promotional codes or something before I sign up.

Doesn't seem to be, although do you want me to refer you. I get a free $200 bet that way. :)

hujsh
15-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Doesn't seem to be, although do you want me to refer you. I get a free $200 bet that way. :)

If you don't need to give credit details I'll create an account to get you some extra dough.

LostDoggy
15-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Come on Gary, please put my post back,
I thought I went gently on the chappie who calls himself a bulldog man

GVGjr
15-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Well may I suggest that you go forth and multiply, albeit with yourself for obvious reasons. :)

Come on Gary, please put my post back,
I thought I went gently on the chappie who calls himself a bulldog man

It actually never went missing. :)

Topdog
17-06-2009, 03:47 PM

well seeing as I can't get anything I may as well help you out.

PM me any details you need for the referral. I'll be signing up on the weekend.

bornadog
17-06-2009, 07:59 PM

Every man for himself:D

Remi Moses
21-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Every man for himself:D

I 've just put the house on the Dogs winning the flag. I maybe typing on this forum from No Fixed Abode come September

ledge
21-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I 've just put the house on the Dogs winning the flag. I maybe typing on this forum from No Fixed Abode come September

And how many houses do you stand to win?