PDA

View Full Version : What's happening with the Darwin experiment?

LostDoggy
12-06-2009, 09:53 AM
First it was Melbourne attempting to muscle in on playing home games in Darwin and now Port is waging a pitch and a very strong one at that supported by the NTFL.

Through it all there is deathly silence from the club as to our intentions.

My understanding is the Darwin experiment is a financially rewarding exercise and with the impasse between the AFL and Etihad unlikely to be resolved in the near future, I would have thought playing games in Darwin was important to our future.

There has been speculation that we would look at playing home games at Skilled Stadium and even Adelaide Oval and on each occasion, Campbell Rose has offered comment. But on Darwin - nothing.

I would hate to get submarined by either Port or Melbourne and miss out on this deal. We would look as silly as St Kilda does in having lost Tassie to Hawthorn

What about it Campbell?

hujsh
12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Maybe try the new FAQ.

GVGjr
12-06-2009, 11:15 PM
First it was Melbourne attempting to muscle in on playing home games in Darwin and now Port is waging a pitch and a very strong one at that supported by the NTFL.

Through it all there is deathly silence from the club as to our intentions.

My understanding is the Darwin experiment is a financially rewarding exercise and with the impasse between the AFL and Etihad unlikely to be resolved in the near future, I would have thought playing games in Darwin was important to our future.

There has been speculation that we would look at playing home games at Skilled Stadium and even Adelaide Oval and on each occasion, Campbell Rose has offered comment. But on Darwin - nothing.

I would hate to get submarined by either Port or Melbourne and miss out on this deal. We would look as silly as St Kilda does in having lost Tassie to Hawthorn

What about it Campbell?

My understanding is that we are trying to get an improved deal from the current existing one which is opening the door for a couple of other sides. FWIW, I think we need to consider either extending this deal with Darwin or looking at a 2 year deal with Canberra.

BulldogBelle
12-06-2009, 11:50 PM
The club was meeting with the NT government today in Darwin so perhaps the wheels are in motion.

The Adelaide Connection
22-06-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25668872-5016212,00.html

Hmmm, very concerning. Port have been very aggressive in trying to get their fingers on a slice of the Darwin pie and if they do what does that mean for the Bulldogs?

It is curious that they are saying that the games will be classed as 'away' games. Does that mean that the other club gets the coin? :confused:

GVGjr
22-06-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25668872-5016212,00.html

Hmmm, very concerning. Port have been very aggressive in trying to get their fingers on a slice of the Darwin pie and if they do what does that mean for the Bulldogs?

It is curious that they are saying that the games will be classed as 'away' games. Does that mean that the other club gets the coin? :confused:

It's been mentioned before that we seem to holding out for a sweeter deal but both Port and Melbourne would be willing to accept the money that has been offered to us. If you snooze you lose and I think we should consider getting in first on this.

Sockeye Salmon
22-06-2009, 08:23 PM

That's a good move by Port.

They still play 12 games at AAMI
They pick up some cash for playing at Darwin when the AFL schedules them there anyway.
Build up their membership in Darwin because they're there more often than anyone else
Take away the home crowd for two away matches.

LostDoggy
22-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't understand how a club can get money for an away game? If Port want to play there and be paid for it then why don't they sell one of their home games?

This fixture is even more confusing if this is allowed to happen. Technically then its not a home game for either side which should be the case for sides that only play once in a season.

ledge
22-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Keep in mind Port are a basket case money wise at the moment and the AFL will do the utmost to get money for them, i wouldnt be surprised if the AFL are in some way encouraging the Port option.

LostDoggy
22-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Keep in mind Port are a basket case money wise at the moment and the AFL will do the utmost to get money for them, i wouldnt be surprised if the AFL are in some way encouraging the Port option.
Still doesn't answer my question, if a side can sell their away games then what does the home side get for it?

LostDoggy
23-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Still doesn't answer my question, if a side can sell their away games then what does the home side get for it?

You're quite right - doesn't make sense.

Away teams make no money from the gate