PDA

View Full Version : Why Won't Daniel Cross Kick A Goal?

Happy Days
13-06-2009, 11:50 PM
I hate to be negative, but it has to be mentioned. Crossy, for the umpteenth time tonight, could have kicked a fairly routine goal on the run, but instead went a chip pass to a 1-on-1 that did not pay off at all.

Crossy's one of our best players, as he was tonight, but is their any danger that if he's within striking distance, he may actually strike? It's going beyond a confidence issue.

AndrewP6
13-06-2009, 11:54 PM
yep I agree. That was a howler... needs a good talking to...how good would he be if he slotted a goal or two now and again?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I hate to be negative, but it has to be mentioned. Crossy, for the umpteenth time tonight, could have kicked a fairly routine goal on the run, but instead went a chip pass to a 1-on-1 that did not pay off at all.

Crossy's one of our best players, as he was tonight, but is their any danger that if he's within striking distance, he may actually strike? It's going beyond a confidence issue.

Was one of our best tonight, however his lack of willingness to back himself by foot in front of goal and also often in general play is a concern.
No doubt given his character he would be working on it in training, but a time will come where he will have to take his chances...and nail them.

Boyd used to be reluctant to shoot for goal as wel, however he has improved markedly in this area and is a much more well rounded and dangerous player for it.
In order for Crossy to become an elite and damaging player he will need to address this, sooner rather than later.

The Coon Dog
14-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I honestly didn't think he was that good tonight. His 30 odd possessions were about as effective as Kane Cornes in my view. Sorry if I seem harsh, but I'd rather he backed himself to kick more often. He did last week against Richmond & did it well. Tonight he took some nice marks overhead, but often then went backwards by hand & stopped the forward momentum.

If you were his opponent, you would just corrale him, knowing exactly what he was going to do.

I was surprised so many gave him votes tonight, funny how we all see the same thing, but see it differently.

Mantis
14-06-2009, 12:03 AM
His marking, endurance and courage make a him a very valuable player.

His unwillingness & inability to kick the footy make him at times a liability.

He has been good playing run with roles (with good effect) against the better teams and I think that is the role he fills against Geelong & St.Kilda.

AndrewP6
14-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I honestly didn't think he was that good tonight. His 30 odd possessions were about as effective as Kane Cornes in my view. Sorry if I seem harsh, but I'd rather he backed himself to kick more often. He did last week against Richmond & did it well. Tonight he took some nice marks overhead, but often then went backwards by hand & stopped the forward momentum.

If you were his opponent, you would just corrale him, knowing exactly what he was going to do.

I was surprised so many gave him votes tonight, funny how we all see the same thing, but see it differently.

Agree, I think he was good, but didn't put him in my best. Needs to put boot to ball a bit more often, especially when a goal is up for grabs.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-06-2009, 12:06 AM

I thought the amount of hard ball he won and the way he brought our running players into the play was important tonight. We needed to smash Port in close to prevent them from getting the ball outside & emplying their running game and I thought Crossy, Griff and Picken were important in that regard.

I agree though that when he gets the ball in open field he does tend to stop prop then look for a hanball that then givea the opposition time to organise themselves up field. However when he gets the ball in close and uses his quick hands to get the ball out to our runners he is almost reminiscent of Scott West.

Stefcep
14-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Nothing new ..I've been giving it to Cross about his kicking for two seasons now. Just not acceptable at AFL level.

wb_age
14-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Think back to last year, in the game against Richmond where we managed to pinch a draw. Cross received a free on the boundary about 20m out with less than a few mins remaining, he just went back and slotted a drop punt under immense pressure.

He should forced to watch that on replay for the duration of the week off because he can kick goals, it's all above the shoulders.

angelopetraglia
14-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Agree he should kick more.

But he wins his own ball. He had 16 contested possessions tonight. A sensational effort. Also 5 tackles.

In comparison Kane Cornes won 8 contested possessions ... he can still be damaging if he wins his own ball and feeds our good outside runners.

LostDoggy
14-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Played really well especially when the heat was still in the game and I would have ranked him a shade in front of Cooney for BOG with Minson in 3rd.

Happy Days
14-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Agree he should kick more.

But he wins his own ball. He had 16 contested possessions tonight. A sensational effort. Also 5 tackles.

In comparison Kane Cornes won 8 contested possessions ... he can still be damaging if he wins his own ball and feeds our good outside runners.

There's no debate about his ability to get the ball. My concern was not only his inability, but what seems a disinterest in being damaging with it when he gets it, especially inside forward 50.

In my honest opinion, he can't be considered elite until he does this.

dog town
14-06-2009, 10:38 AM

I was surprised so many gave him votes tonight, funny how we all see the same thing, but see it differently. Cant agree with that. He was unbelievable in close. 16 contested possessions and some of those handballs were worth 2 kicks in my honest opinion. I can see where you are going with it but I just think some are reading too much into his effectiveness or lack of. He has plenty that he can do better but any time you get the ball back from a disputed situation that many times you are going a long way towards winning the game for your side. Add his vision and marking to the equation and its a fairly handy game.

I dont mind guys going backwards particularly if we have nothing on or if the player in possession is facing away from goal. It is always good to bring guys up from behind the footy to receive if you can. It creates run and over lap, makes the other side accountable and most importantly a guy receiving from behind the contest can see the whole field ahead of him and use the ball more effectively. That is why so many sides over the years have had "no u turns" as a team rule.

I totally agree that it is frustrating when he is running forward and has an opening but stops and turns to hand pass but he just needs to find the balance. For such a good player he doesn't seem to have a real awareness of his capabilities. Late in the game against Geelong he got it right. Heard Eagleton streaming down his left hand side and realised Eagleton on his left from 55 is a far better bet than himself in the same situation. He has had other times where he is clearly capable of getting the job done himself and chosen not to do it. Its frustrating but I dont think it should cancel out all of the good things he does when we are assessing his games.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I can see why Eade gets frustrated with Crossy now. This game highlighted how his refusal to kick, and take shots at goal, were negatives during the game. There is no doubting his courage, hard ball getting ability, over head marking, tackling and so forth - but last night he stopped the flow of the team on several occasions. When you win by 93 points, most wouldnt care, but in the close games and teams that put on any pressure, taking the great mark, but stopping and handballing backwards insted of kicking to advantage or moving forward to beat the enevitable zone or flood isn't good and against Geelong/St Kilda could be a liability. Although i'm not sure what Eade can do that he hasn't done already?

Go_Dogs
14-06-2009, 02:00 PM

I tended to agree and thought the majority of his touches were not creative. As you said some of his marking was a highlight.

Really needs to have more confidence by foot, especially when running on goal. Still a solid contributor for us on the night, but his form this season has been well down on some of this better years, imo at least.

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2009, 12:38 AM
There's no debate about his ability to get the ball. My concern was not only his inability, but what seems a disinterest in being damaging with it when he gets it, especially inside forward 50.

In my honest opinion, he can't be considered elite until he does this.

You can't just fob off 16 contested possesions like that.

It's an astonishing number. Think about it.

Cross wins a contested ball and handballs it to someone who gives it to someone else, the way sides keep possesion when they get it each contested possesion probably means 4-5 uncontested possesions for others.

Of our 470 possesions tonight, perhaps 70-80 were started by Cross getting the thing in the first place!

Not to mention every contested possesion he won the other mob didn't.

Desipura
15-06-2009, 09:25 AM
All stats aside, there may come a time where he has to stand up and kick a crucial goal. No use practising kicking at training if you do not have the confidence to bring it to a game.

The Adelaide Connection
18-07-2009, 01:13 AM
How great was it to see Crossy finally back himself and kick that goal. I nearly put my head through the roof.:D

Happy Days
18-07-2009, 01:15 AM
How great was it to see Crossy finally back himself and kick that goal. I nearly put my head through the roof.:D

Haha so did he :).

Was great to see him finally slot one, and not a bad effort at that.

boydogs
18-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Haha so did he :).

Was great to see him finally slot one, and not a bad effort at that.

Great goal. Just showing he can do that will give him better handball options as the opposition won't sit off him as much - good on him :)

The Pie Man
18-07-2009, 09:40 AM

I just hope that gives him the belief and confidence that he can kick those, he made good contact and it would've comfortably made the distance from just on the 50 as well.

He adds that string to his bow and he is truly an elite AFL midfielder (and I know arguably he is already)

Stefcep
18-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Others have said he's been working on his kicking technique, and he showed last night he CAN kick, its just a confidence thing now, and the goal would do him a lot of good. Actually he foot-passes a few neat ones last night as well. Seems the message is getting through. Great for him and the team if he can keep doing it and get better.

alwaysadog
18-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Others have said he's been working on his kicking technique

I would be astounded if he didn't work his guts out on every aspect of his game, after all he developed injuries during the pre-season through over training.

Great for him and the team if he can keep doing it and get better.

Didn't have a chance to think of another option; did what he always does runs to the right spot and on this occasion there was nothing else to do. From the look on his face, initially of great relief and then pure joy and the terrific response of his teammates I'd say he'll be looking for more opportunities but won't change his game to find them.

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2009, 08:51 PM
There have been a few threads about Cross and his kicking and it is onvious since the Port Adelaide game that the message has got through. Against North and again in the Essendon game Daniel has run through 50 as a free player received the ball and kicked the goal.

It just makes him a more dangerous player and makes constructive use of his ability to keep running.

Bulldog Revolution
20-07-2009, 01:16 PM
There have been a few threads about Cross and his kicking and it is onvious since the Port Adelaide game that the message has got through. Against North and again in the Essendon game Daniel has run through 50 as a free player received the ball and kicked the goal.

Good observation B-Joe

Was terrific to see him kick that goal