PDA

View Full Version : Skilled, Adelaide Oval not happening: Demetriou

Sockeye Salmon
15-06-2009, 12:34 PM
"
...Demetriou also poured cold water on reported negotiations between the Western Bulldogs and AAMI Stadium and the Adelaide Oval, stressing that the AFL would not schedule home games in Adelaide not involving Port or the Adelaide Crows.

While the AFL has been unable to improve deals to date at Etihad Stadium, the MCG or AAMI Stadium, Demetriou also confirmed the league would not entertain the Bulldogs' reported move to sell home games to Skilled Stadium at Geelong in a bid to reap improved revenue for home games, given the Bulldogs' poor returns from Docklands.

"We are only interested in our developing markets when it comes to selling home games," said Demetriou yesterday. "Those markets are Darwin, Canberra and Tasmania and that has been our position for some time. Nor will we be moving any Adelaide or Port Adelaide home games away from Adelaide."

Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs held talks last Friday with Northern Territory Government officials and NTFL boss Tony Frawley regarding a potential two-game package in Darwin from next season, along with a pre-season game in Alice Springs. Bulldogs president David Smorgon said he was unaware of the AFL's stance on Adelaide and Geelong.

Port Adelaide chief executive Mark Haysman confirmed last week that his club was considering an unusual "away" game deal at Darwin from next year, having been told by the AFL it could not move home games away from AAMI Stadium."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/afl-to-bail-out-power-with-1m-package/2009/06/14/1244917933454.html

Twodogs
15-06-2009, 12:38 PM
"

"We are only interested in our developing markets when it comes to selling home games," said Demetriou yesterday. "Those markets are Darwin, Canberra and Tasmania and that has been our position for some time. Nor will we be moving any Adelaide or Port Adelaide home games away from Adelaide."

I'm usually on board with most of what Andy D says, but how can Tassie be a 'developing' market and, if it is, what's it developing into?

It's already developed SO GIVE THEM A TEAM!!!!!!!

hujsh
15-06-2009, 06:47 PM
So to make money we need to be prepared to travel.

They can't reject a proposal to play two games in Darwin if they're going to do this to us.

chef
15-06-2009, 07:57 PM
So to make money we need to be prepared to travel.

They can't reject a proposal to play two games in Darwin if they're going to do this to us.

They have before.

The Pie Man
16-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Is playing an interstate club in Geelong really selling a home game? I see it more a financial decision, based on the AFL not injectging the funds they do for a Darwin/Canberra fixture.

Confusing - I remember we played Freo at Carlton after we had moved to Docklands....sure we got 11,000 there in what at the time seemes embarrassing, but I had a ripper day and I'm sure we didn't lose money.

I can't see how they can step in and stop that one.

comrade
16-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Darwin it is.

All things going well, with Demetriou agreeing to 2 games up there and the Bulldogs and NT government coming to an agreement - let's do it properly: base the trip two weeks in a row before the break (or 1 before the break/1 before the bye when GC17 arrive).

Make it a fortress, have an impact in the community, build our membership (with the help of future superstars in Hill and Harbrow).

Forget chasing short-term quick dollars and look at the long term investment. Darwin is staring us in the face, let's take the opportunity and do it right.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2009, 03:14 PM
The AFL have always said no to us playing two in a row up there.

comrade
16-06-2009, 03:19 PM
The AFL have always said no to us playing two in a row up there.

SS, can you recall why the AFL is against 2 games in a row?

They make such a song and dance about how bad the stadium deals are in Melbourne - this is an opportunity to take a game AWAY from Etihad. Seems strange that they wouldn't want to support it.

Perhaps it'd have a better chance of happening with the inclusion of the Gold Coast and the need for the bye to occur.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Have you ever had a miserable, incompetant boss who was about 5' 2" tall?

They just say 'no' to show how much power they have to make up for the fact they have a 1" penis.

Same-same.

Mantis
16-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I posted something similiar in another thread, but didn't receive a reply so I might get one here.

North Melbourne are talking about selling a game to WA to play either Freo or WC in a 'home' game for something like a $750,000 return. Will the AFL poor cold water over this proposal as WA isn't a developing market?

If they play the game at ES they write out a cheque for 100K, something has to give.

bornadog
16-06-2009, 04:12 PM

They make such a song and dance about how bad the stadium deals are in Melbourne - this is an opportunity to take a game AWAY from Etihad. Seems strange that they wouldn't want to support it.

Perhaps it'd have a better chance of happening with the inclusion of the Gold Coast and the need for the bye to occur.

The reason previously was that the AFL wanted a team to continue playing in Canberra. Now that the ACT is looking at linking in with the new Western Sydney team, we may get the two games in Darwin.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I posted something similiar in another thread, but didn't receive a reply so I might get one here.

North Melbourne are talking about selling a game to WA to play either Freo or WC in a 'home' game for something like a $750,000 return. Will the AFL poor cold water over this proposal as WA isn't a developing market?

If they play the game at ES they write out a cheque for 100K, something has to give.

Hmmm, double standards? Never expected to see that from the AFL :rolleyes:

The Pie Man
16-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I still don't get how playing in Geelong is considered selling a home game - we wouldn't be asking for funds from the AFL, we'd make plenty off just 15,000 there - can someone explain to me how they can reject it based on this?

It's effing baffling - it's just an alternative venue based on a forecast attendance

bornadog
16-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I still don't get how playing in Geelong is considered selling a home game - we wouldn't be asking for funds from the AFL, we'd make plenty off just 15,000 there - can someone explain to me how they can reject it based on this?

It's effing baffling - it's just an alternative venue based on a forecast attendance
It doesn't promote the game in Darwin and Canberra

The Pie Man
17-06-2009, 11:39 AM
It doesn't promote the game in Darwin and Canberra

But they're for selling home games. If we don't ask the AFL for funds, how can this be classified as selling?

If we asked the AFL for funds, they'd be completely justified in telling us to __ off, but when it's all covered by gate receipts and potentially underwritten by the local council....