PDA

View Full Version : Waiting game on Rodney Eade deal at Western Bulldogs

BulldogBelle
15-06-2009, 11:42 PM
A month away...

Waiting game on Rodney Eade deal at Western Bulldogs (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25642123-19742,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Mark Stevens | June 16, 2009

EXCLUSIVE: THE Western Bulldogs are at least a month from putting the stamp of approval on a new deal for coach Rodney Eade. Eade will present to key members of the club's football sub-committee before a final call is made.

Although it appears certain Eade will be rewarded with an extension of at least two years, the Bulldogs want to hear his blueprint for the future.

The Dogs are refusing to budge from their review process, despite Eade's team bullying its way into premiership contention in the past month.

A strong push among supporters and commentators to re-sign Eade turned into an avalanche after Saturday night's 93-point belting of Port Adelaide, but the club is in no hurry.

Despite being thrilled with the "now" - including the continued improvement of the playing list - Dogs officials also have an eye well beyond this season.

That means the club is determined to perform "due diligence" and search for any areas that can spark improvement.

It will not be dictated purely by the win-loss ratio. The club is adamant it wants to tick off on all "one-percenters" to ensure it can take the next step and claim a premiership.

The Dogs are two weeks into the review process, which is being driven by football manager James Fantasia.

Eade, out of contract at the end of the season, has a great record for a club that has struggled for coaching continuity and success.

Since replacing Peter Rohde for the 2005 season, Eade has a 55 per cent strike rate (58 wins, 45 losses and two draws).

He has led the club in five finals matches.

Of all Bulldogs coaches to have taken the helm in 50 or more games, only Bill Cubbins (1931-34) has a better win-loss record, 57 per cent.

Even the great Charlie Sutton, premiership captain-coach in 1954, had only a 50-50 record.

The Dogs are aware of outside pressure to re-sign Eade, but will not react to it, meaning an announcement could be deferred until as late as Round 16.

Eade, 51, is comfortable with the process and has continually stressed he wants to stay.

Then again, several other coaching vacancies are opening up and Eade would be in demand elsewhere if he became available.

Respected columnist Gerard Healy made it clear in the Herald Sun on Saturday that Eade was too valuable to be lost to another club.

Eade is one of seven coaches due to fall out of contract this year, with change coming at Richmond and possible at Collingwood, North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

Before he signed with the Dogs, Collingwood tried to lure Eade as a key support to Mick Malthouse. The Pies were keen to tap into his tactical nous, which is still thriving despite the trend towards younger coaches.

Fantasia is chairman of the Bulldogs' football sub-committee. Football director Simon Garlick is also playing a key role.

Also on the sub-committee are Dogs chief executive Campbell Rose, president David Smorgon and board member George Pappas, an adviser with the Boston Consulting Group.

chef
16-06-2009, 09:18 AM
What's the rush?

aker39
16-06-2009, 09:35 AM
What's the rush?

The media need to turn their attention some where now that Wallet has gone.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2009, 11:09 AM
The media need to turn their attention some where now that Wallet has gone.

I would have thought Choco Williams and Dean Laidley would have been more interesting stories.

aker39
16-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I would have thought Choco Williams and Dean Laidley would have been more interesting stories.

Yes, but they both have deadlines in their contracts and their review process has commenced and the media probably think that they wont be there next year, but there is no way they are going to write a headline saying, sack him now.

I know Rocket has a deadline too, but his is a bit later.

In a way, it is flattering to Rocket and the club, the fact that we are playing such good footy, but I have utmost faith in David Smorgon and the board to do the best thing for the club, no matter what presuure they get from the media.

Bulldog Revolution
16-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Nothing wrong with asking the Coach about his plans for the future i.e how he is going to improve the team etc before dishing out the dollars

What a rubbish story - column filler if ever there was it

bornadog
16-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Well North looking for a coach now, so hands off Rodney boys.

Desipura
16-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Nothing wrong with asking the Coach about his plans for the future i.e how he is going to improve the team etc before dishing out the dollars

Well Rocket can say this is how we will improve in the future:

Hill, Ward, Harbrow & Williams to name just a few will further improve with experience.

Our kpp which have been questioned have been addressed by recruiting the following:
Cordy, Boumann, Roughead, Jones & Grant.

Our hardness at the ball was questioned so we went out and drafted Ward, Reid, Addison, & Wood.

We will lose leaders in Johnno, Aker, Hahn & Hudson in the near future which will be replaced by the likes of Higgins, Ward & Minson, Cordy is touted as a future leader.

We potentially have 2 father/sons in the highly regarded Wallis & Libba which will ensure that GC does not draft all the talent through priority picks.

James Fantasia, does that answer your question?

strebla
16-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I really hope that they sign him as soon as possible now there are at least 2 clubs seeking new coaches next year I am a little nervous here

comrade
16-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I think it's positive that the club is sticking to it's process, and ensuring all bases are covered.

In the past we probably would've just signed him up, based on where we sit on the ladder etc, without having concrete plans for the football department for the duration of the new contract.

This shows me that the Western Bulldogs are rock solid both on and off the field and are investing in a plan to take us to the next level.

That being said, with a new job now opening up at North Melbourne, this review process will probably be expedited and Rocket will be offered an extension by the end of the week :D

ledge
16-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Nth wouldnt be able to afford him, why would he go there?
And besides he has done half a job here why wouldnt he see the rest out?

Bulldog4life
16-06-2009, 01:44 PM
With Rocket not knowing whether he has the Bulldog's coaching job next year it would be prudent for his Management Team to discuss the coaching positions at Richmond and North Melbourne with those Clubs. It is just not one way traffic here with the Bulldogs holding the whip hand. Let's hope that the Club realizes this.

Remi Moses
16-06-2009, 09:08 PM

What a rubbish story - column filler if ever there was it

that healy story was way worse.Laidley and Wallace gone,now Choco's turn. Pretty confident eade will still be there next season and beyond

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm not concerned one bit about the Roos or something like them taking Eade. Unless he thinks we're on the decline and it's a good time to get out, there'd be no reason to move. I'd only be worried if Tasmania was entering the AFL.