PDA

View Full Version : Dean Laidley Resigns

bornadog
16-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Effective immediately, new caretaker coach Crocker. We play them next.

The Coon Dog
16-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Dean Laidley steps down (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25643836-19768,00.html)

BREAKING NEWS: KANGAROOS coach Dean Laidley has coached his last game for North Melbourne.

Asked this morning if he had offered to step aside, Laidley told Herald Sun online: "What you're saying is correct. We've come to an agreement."

MORE TO COME

Bulldog Revolution
16-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Very surprised that they dont see him as part of the future for the Kangas

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Massive backward step for the Rooboys....Quality coach, working with a poor list at best!! :confused:

bulldogtragic
16-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Why do we have to play them next...

Didn't see that coming at all...

Rocket Science
16-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Agreed...less than thrilled with having to cop another interrim coach, but still, we really should smash them.

There's been something decidedly NQR about Laidley's media persona the past few weeks...timing suggests this has been on the cards for a while. He's clearly got a gig elsewhere, the question is...where.

Tigers? They could realistically have been sounding him out for some time.

Otherwise, our smacking of Port might have hastened Choco's fate, and Laidley's their new guy. He'd fit in well over there.

Desipura
16-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Hopefully after our game the headline will read "Crocker, what a shocker"

easybeat
16-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Yea man, why does eveyone have to quit before they play us????

strebla
16-06-2009, 01:30 PM
This should in no way affect us we really should just go out there as we did against the tiges and the power I think our mindset this year has been our greatest asset. That being said I find it a really strange decision by the roos but think Crocker has been around for a while and will do a good job in the interim.Note to Smorgan SIGN EADE NOW !!!

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 01:35 PM
West Sydney Kangaroos.

soupman
16-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Did not see that coming.

aker39
16-06-2009, 01:52 PM
This should in no way affect us we really should just go out there as we did against the tiges and the power I think our mindset this year has been our greatest asset. That being said I find it a really strange decision by the roos but think Crocker has been around for a while and will do a good job in the interim.Note to Smorgan SIGN EADE NOW !!!

Rocket said when we played the Tigers after Wallets "resignation" that he actually thought it made our players focus a little more knowing that the Richmond players would come out firing.

I also think the same will happen against North. Any chance of the players taking the Kangas easy will now hopefully be replaced with a focus of the North players reponding to the coach leaving.

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I never saw this coming, I wonder who they will pick to take on the role as caretaker coach?

aker39
16-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I never saw this coming, I wonder who they will pick to take on the role as caretaker coach?

Read the opening post

bulldogtragic
16-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Did you just hear that dull roar?

It was Nathan Buckley's sigh of relief when another senior job became available other than Richmond.

The coaching merry-go around will be fun to watch, assuming Eade is signed...

Ozza
16-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Very very surprising news.

The players had no idea that this was going to happen.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow, didn't see that one coming. North have been pretty poor this year, but their list is useless and they've had some terrible luck with injuries.

To me at least it seems Dean is jumping ship before it sinks and takes him down with it. As RS suggested, I tend to think he may have another job offer on the table.

Mantis
16-06-2009, 03:01 PM
West Sydney Kangaroos.

What makes you say that?

I thought Brayshaw & his white knights were going to ensure that North stayed in Melbourne.

Mofra
16-06-2009, 03:04 PM
To me at least it seems Dean is jumping ship before it sinks and takes him down with it. As RS suggested, I tend to think he may have another job offer on the table.
Another rumour (unsubstantiated, so take it with a grain of salt) is that he has been told to adopt a youth policy for the rest of the year (aka tanking) and he doesn't want to be the fall guy for a poor year & hurt his coaching aspirations for next year.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Hopefully after our game the headline will read "Crocker, what a shocker"

"Roos have a Darren Crocker!"

Mantis
16-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Another rumour (unsubstantiated, so take it with a grain of salt) is that he has been told to adopt a youth policy for the rest of the year (aka tanking) and he doesn't want to be the fall guy for a poor year & hurt his coaching aspirations for next year.

If he was told this and was given the re-assurance that he would remain head coach next year (& beyond) you would think he would have stayed, but it sounds like he has not been guaranteed his position so has jumped ship.

On top of this I thought he had been giving the kids an opportunity to play this year.

mighty_west
16-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Awesome, we'll win by 70 plus now, if we were mediocre, we might have been slightly nervous, but we are top 3, they are bottom 4 with their injury list.

Now Wallace, thats how you bow out of a club, with total class, well done Laidley, plus Laidley didn't need one more game as coach, he put the club ahead of himself!!!!.

Desipura
16-06-2009, 03:41 PM
poor Wallace, he even gets mentioned when it has nothing to do with him.

Go_Dogs
16-06-2009, 04:06 PM
On top of this I thought he had been giving the kids an opportunity to play this year.

With the injuries they have, I don't think they have had much of an option.

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 04:09 PM
What makes you say that?

I thought Brayshaw & his white knights were going to ensure that North stayed in Melbourne.

They're a rabble.

Mantis
16-06-2009, 04:27 PM
They're a rabble.

Maybe.

I would have that thought that having had the opportunity to go to the GC the AFL might not give them the option of saving their bacon in some form if it heads that way.

The Underdog
16-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Why do we have to play them next...

Didn't see that coming at all...

Yea man, why does eveyone have to quit before they play us????

Because they mistimed Simpson's 300th by a game and needed something to motivate the team aside from a milestone game.

bornadog
16-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Because they mistimed Simpson's 300th by a game and needed something to motivate the team aside from a milestone game.

It was also Laidley's 300th as Player/Coach, so a double miss:)

Mofra
16-06-2009, 04:57 PM
If he was told this and was given the re-assurance that he would remain head coach next year (& beyond) you would think he would have stayed, but it sounds like he has not been guaranteed his position so has jumped ship.
I don't think he was given an assurance, assuming the rumour is correct. He seems to be protecting the Laidley "brand", which is what many high profile football types understand is needed to groom themselves for another position in football.

The Adelaide Connection
16-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Rocket said when we played the Tigers after Wallets "resignation" that he actually thought it made our players focus a little more knowing that the Richmond players would come out firing.

I also think the same will happen against North. Any chance of the players taking the Kangas easy will now hopefully be replaced with a focus of the North players reponding to the coach leaving.

If Simpsons 300th doesn't be them up and about nothing will. I had them in the eight or. Lose to this year, that ship has sailed and not finishing in the bottom 4 would be suprising.

Still we usually have some trouble playin them, hope this doesn't add to it.

AndrewP6
16-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Like most, I didn't see it coming...not yet anyway... hope this doesn't serve as a motivator for them.
Never had anything against Laidley, but I don't like the idea of jumping ship midway through a season. He admitted he's doubted he was the right one for the role several times. If that was the case, he should never have gone ahead this season - no matter how convincingly they talked him round. Poor form I reckon, to just walk away at this point. Sounds very much like he's looking after his own name- sensible, professionally speaking, but leaves me with a bad taste. Still, at least he didn't do a Wallace and request a big send-off... (Had to get one dig in!)

Remi Moses
16-06-2009, 07:46 PM
poor Wallace, he even gets mentioned when it has nothing to do with him.

Who? William Wallace.

Remi Moses
16-06-2009, 07:50 PM
They're a rabble.

Jesus I'd love to give them the flogging I still vividly recall Easter 1996.

Sockeye Salmon
16-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Anyone who heard James Brayshaw's interview on the weekend knew that Laidley was a dead man walking.

He tried so hard not to say anything it came across as saying plenty, without using any words.

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 10:30 PM

Ditto that :)

LostDoggy
17-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Jesus I'd love to give them the flogging I still vividly recall Easter 1996.

Champion teams put teams like this to the sword, and it will be an interesting to see if we can. They have a load of injuries, out of form players and their best player will be having his first game back after a long layoff. And when he comes back, he will have a little terrier named Liam Picken wearing him like a glove.

LostDoggy
17-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Champion teams put teams like this to the sword, and it will be an interesting to see if we can. They have a load of injuries, out of form players and their best player will be having his first game back after a long layoff. And when he comes back, he will have a little terrier named Liam Picken wearing him like a glove.

That will be interesting, it seemed Pickers learnt a thing or two between the first and second time he played on Delidio.
Goal Scorers
WB L Picken 5 , B Johnson, S Welsh, J Akemanis, D Giansiracusa 4....
NM B Harvey -5...:D

Ozza
17-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Do you think we would tag Boomer first up?
I'd have thought Boomer's game time - and probably impact - would be down.
But I'm not really sure who else Picko would tag - maybe he will end up in defence on a Half back flank.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Do you think we would tag Boomer first up?
I'd have thought Boomer's game time - and probably impact - would be down.
But I'm not really sure who else Picko would tag - maybe he will end up in defence on a Half back flank.

He'd still tag him either way I think - not really many other roles he can play.

Is Wells playing at the moment? He could perhaps be another target for Liam.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Laidley is doing to North, what Wallace did to us. Both left because they thought they were too good for the club. It's amazing that Laidley's desertion has been presented as anything but.

AndrewP6
17-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Laidley is doing to North, what Wallace did to us. Both left because they thought they were too good for the club. It's amazing that Laidley's desertion has been presented as anything but.

Well said...

GVGjr
17-06-2009, 10:45 PM

FWIW, I don't think we have been told the full story. I believe there is a good chance that he knew that North weren't going to proceed with him as the coach so he decided to jump rather than having to endure all the speculation up until round 16.

The two differences that come to mind with the Laidley Wallace comparison is that:
1) Wallace believed he had the job in Sydney so he was looking for an excuse to leave and it does not appear that Laidley has any such assurances.
2) Wallace had another year to run on his contract.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-06-2009, 11:26 AM
FWIW, I don't think we have been told the full story. I believe there is a good chance that he knew that North weren't going to proceed with him as the coach so he decided to jump rather than having to endure all the speculation up until round 16.

The two differences that come to mind with the Laidley Wallace comparison is that:
1) Wallace believed he had the job in Sydney so he was looking for an excuse to leave and it does not appear that Laidley has any such assurances.
2) Wallace had another year to run on his contract.

I respect your knowledge and insight, but it would surprise me if North were thinking of not renewing Laidley's contract, as he is widely considered to have single handedly got more out of his cattle than what they're worth. But stranger things have happened in the desperate world of AFL. If the case is as you propose, I agree that it's significantly different to Wallace'sat Footscray.

Swoop
18-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I find it humorous that people say that Laidley did the best he could with the cattle he had. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was coaching this side for 6 seasons, surely this is long enough to develop a quality list or at least move in the right direction. Is it not the coaches role to develop and improve the 'cattle' he has as opossed to taking credit for doing well with limited players, the same limited players that he was responsible for recruiting and developing?

Bulldog4life
18-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I could be wrong on this but wasn't it between Laidley and Rhode to coach us and the Club went ahead and chose Rhode?

Desipura
18-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I find it humorous that people say that Laidley did the best he could with the cattle he had. Correct me if I'm wrong but he was coaching this side for 6 seasons, surely this is long enough to develop a quality list or at least move in the right direction. Is it not the coaches role to develop and improve the 'cattle' he has as opossed to taking credit for doing well with limited players, the same limited players that he was responsible for recruiting and developing?
agree 100%. Same thing was said abot the ex Richmond coach.

LostDoggy
18-06-2009, 02:35 PM

I think the manner in which they both went about it shows the differences in their respective characters.

Mofra
18-06-2009, 02:41 PM
I think the manner in which they both went about it shows the differences in their respective characters.
The player reactions are also quite different - Laidley seems to still be on good terms with the list which speaks volumes in itself.

BulldogBelle
18-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Laidley will be on The Footy Show tonight having a one on one interview with Sam Newman. I can't see him saying anything too controversial as he still wants to remain in the 'football circle' side of things. Good luck to him and wish him the best.