PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Burgoyne

comrade
16-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Just to break the tedium of break week.

Apparently Shaun Burgoyne has refused to sign a new contract with Port unless Choco gets an extension - that's looking unlikely, so the younger Burgoyne could be out the door at the end of the year.

27 at the start of next year, is he someone worth chasing, considering our current list and the fact that it's the last uncompromised draft?

And what would he cost?

He's clearly a very talented player, but struggles to win his own ball. With Eagleton reaching the end, we require an outside runner/zone buster - a role Burgoyne plays nicely.

If he is up for grabs, do we have a crack or do we rely on the draft and our youngsters to fill that outside role?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAnB5wxRcr0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAnB5wxRcr0)

LostDoggy
16-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I hope we don't try and go for someone like him. It's the last uncompromised draft we need to draft kids this year. We also have quite a few kids coming along nicely at Williamstown.

The Coon Dog
16-06-2009, 11:03 PM
I guess it comes down to your needs & the cost.

I guess he fits into our needs, so a tick there.

If he's out of contract at seasons end Port might just have to eat a shit sandwich & do a deal with the club of Burgoyne's choice, or take the high moral ground ala Nick Stevens & send him into the lottery of the PSD.

GVGjr
16-06-2009, 11:05 PM
At his best he is an elite player (or just about) and would slot into the side nicely. That being said, we have more pressing needs and as Arkie suggested, we will need early draft picks anyway which limits some trading options. Port would want Cooney or Griffen and we won't part with them.

Happy Days
16-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I guess it comes down to your needs & the cost.

I guess he fits into our needs, so a tick there.

If he's out of contract at seasons end Port might just have to eat a shit sandwich & do a deal with the club of Burgoyne's choice, or take the high moral ground ala Nick Stevens & send him into the lottery of the PSD.

Beat me to the punch there TCD.

In all honesty, we shouldn't be looking to trade draft picks, as it's too big a risk with the useless drafts coming up. Port would look for someone like a Griffen for Burgoyne (which we would never agree with), and they have proven to be too stubborn for their own good before. I just can't see it happening.

comrade
16-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Beat me to the punch there TCD.

In all honesty, we shouldn't be looking to trade draft picks, as it's too big a risk with the useless drafts coming up. Port would look for someone like a Griffen for Burgoyne (which we would never agree with), and they have proven to be too stubborn for their own good before. I just can't see it happening.

Rohde now runs the footy department so maybe we could snag him for a fifth round pick :D

comrade
16-06-2009, 11:12 PM
At his best he is an elite player (or just about) and would slot into the side nicely. That being said, we have more pressing needs and as Arkie suggested, we will need early draft picks anyway which limits some trading options. Port would want Cooney or Griffen and we won't part with them.

GVG, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what the current list needs to move forward?

GVGjr
16-06-2009, 11:29 PM
GVG, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what the current list needs to move forward?

From a trading POV, I think that if we are to trade hard for a marquee player then it needs to be a key forward with plenty of upside.

Regarding our list requirements, it's probably a great subject for another thread. What I would like to see from Dalrymple and co is a move away from the projects of turning athletes into footballers to a focus on more footy smart players. Sure they will need a good level of athleticism but I think some other sides have done better with turning guys with good footy brains and skills into AFL standard players than we have turning the athletes into footballers.

macca
17-06-2009, 02:15 AM
totally agree with GVGjr. There are times that I am convinced Williams does not have footy smarts to read the play, does not put himself in the right positions and gets outbodied.

Atheletes, who turned into great footy players: who are they ? Carlton has some good kids they have seemed to pick out of nowhere: austin, armfield, Jamison, Robinson(very much a lance whitnall type), browne. The amount of first and 2nd year players they have seem to be a longer list than ours. Who are the footy smart kids coming through for the doggies ?

LRT - limited player for Sydney, Olhapin is a dud,

Mantis
17-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Atheletes, who turned into great footy players: who are they ? Carlton has some good kids they have seemed to pick out of nowhere: austin, armfield, Jamison, Robinson(very much a lance whitnall type), browne. The amount of first and 2nd year players they have seem to be a longer list than ours. Who are the footy smart kids coming through for the doggies ?

Heh heh heh.

The arguement loses a fair bit credibility when you add this guy in.

Mofra
17-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Elite at best, but in terms of what he'd add to the team vs the cost of getting him, we'd have to say on balance unfortunately no.

The Coon Dog
17-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Elite at best, but in terms of what he'd add to the team vs the cost of getting him, we'd have to say on balance unfortunately no.

What would you think that might be?

LostDoggy
17-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting.
Has only played 3 games this year..obviously injured?

In those 3 games he racked up 56 Disposals, 15 Marks, 10 Tackles, 0 Goals 5 Behinds

Mantis
17-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Interesting.
Has only played 3 games this year..obviously injured?

In those 3 games he racked up 56 Disposals, 15 Marks, 10 Tackles, 0 Goals 5 Behinds

Of course he is injured... Did you think that they wouldn't be playing their best player due to poor form?

He has had knee problems since rd 3, but it hasn't really been defined what the problem is.

LostDoggy
17-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Ok great lets go after him? No thanks. Ageing player with a knee problem, last thing we need.

bornadog
17-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Shaun is a gun player and a player any team would be after. Depending on his knee issue, or what he would cost to get over here, I certainly would love to see him at the dogs. At 27 years old, he should be at the peak of his career.

Mantis
17-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Shaun is a gun player and a player any team would be after. Depending on his knee issue, or what he would cost to get over here, I certainly would love to see him at the dogs. At 27 years old, he should be at the peak of his career.

Personally I think it would cost a top 6 pick or a player of the ilk of Cooney, Griffen, Higgins or Ward.... No thanks.

The Coon Dog
17-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Personally I think it would cost a top 6 pick or a player of the ilk of Cooney, Griffen, Higgins or Ward.... No thanks.

If he's out contract though, surely that diminished Port's hand somewhat.

Mantis
17-06-2009, 11:38 AM
If he's out contract though, surely that diminished Port's hand somewhat.

No doubt, but another club will no doubt offer more than we can. Sydney will chase him pretty hard, but I am not sure what they can offer in return.

He is a damn good player (when on song), but I just don't think he would be worth the trouble especially when we look to have salary cap restraints coming up.

azabob
17-06-2009, 12:00 PM
From a trading POV, I think that if we are to trade hard for a marquee player then it needs to be a key forward with plenty of upside.

Regarding our list requirements, it's probably a great subject for another thread. What I would like to see from Dalrymple and co is a move away from the projects of turning athletes into footballers to a focus on more footy smart players. Sure they will need a good level of athleticism but I think some other sides have done better with turning guys with good footy brains and skills into AFL standard players than we have turning the athletes into footballers.

I think you will find this is the case. In the latest issue of the bulldog mag Dalrymple seemed to make a point about saying that his team will look those types of players you highlighted rather than "speculative choices"

Go_Dogs
17-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I think he'd be a terrific fit at our club, as he wouldn't have to face the number 1 tagger every week. He's skillful, quick and can play anywhere - forward, back and through the middle. Great overhead mark too.

Shame he hasn't been able to keep on the park and learn to break the tag. One of my favourites.

mighty_west
17-06-2009, 12:41 PM
The only chance we would have with Burgoyne was that he wants to go to the Dogs, otherwise forget it.

Like others have said, Port would want either Cooney or Griffen in return, i don't even think our first round pick on its own would be enough.

That said, Pav would suit our needs more, but, again, at what cost? I'd say a Higgins or Cooney or Griffen AND out first round pick!

Keep with what we have got and develop our talls coming through.

Sockeye Salmon
17-06-2009, 12:51 PM
totally agree with GVGjr. There are times that I am convinced Williams does not have footy smarts to read the play, does not put himself in the right positions and gets outbodied.

There are a few.

Jim Stynes won a Brownlow
Kouta
Trent Croad

The one thing they all have in common is that it takes ages for them to come good.

Mofra
17-06-2009, 02:12 PM
What would you think that might be?
I think he's worth a first rounder at least on the open market, depending on the circumstances of him leaving PA.

The Coon Dog
17-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I think he's worth a first rounder at least on the open market, depending on the circumstances of him leaving PA.

I agree, if he was contracted, but as he's not Port lose a fair bit of bargaining power. Given they lost Stevens for zip, will they want to down that road again? Their hand may be forced somewhat if Burgoyne declares he wants to be traded to a specific club.