PDA

View Full Version : Did we get the wrong Everitt?

Dry Rot
10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Another game, another disaster with clearances.

Minson's not good at this stage of his career, Darcy's not fit and God knows what's happened to Street.

Meanwhile, by 2009 most of our quality vets will be gone or on their last legs just when Everitt Jr begins to hit his straps.

Should we have tried to get Everritt Sr to make the most of our 2007-08 window with our vets? Or one of the other available old ruckmen?

IMO we are not a top 4 team while we have this problem with clearances.

mjp
10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
The same Everitt who was smashed by the Eagles backup in Round #1, but bullied two Richmond part timers in Round #2?

The young bloke will be OK, and will play before you think DR.
I wanted a ruckman too, but I dont think Everitt is the answer.

Dry Rot
10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
My main point was whetehr we should have got a mature ruck.

bornadog
10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I think Street will be fine, once he hits form. Remember he had an interrupted preseason.

Have a look at the elimination final last year against Collingwood and see the influence on the game from Street.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2007, 02:47 PM
My main point was whetehr we should have got a mature ruck.

Not what was on offer. Cloke, Everitt, Ackland & Bryan wouldn't help our side IMO. I'd rather Minson/Darcy or Minson/Street.

I AM surprised however that we didn't pick up a Ruckmen in the National Draft. I think it would've been a handy time to pick up a young 18-20 year old Ruck.

Eade doesn't seemt o rate them which is a worry IMO. GT didn't either, look what happened to The Saints. Granted, our stocks are better then theirs was but still.

Whilst we're a very godo ruckmen short, or in reality "Luke Darcy at his prime" short, I think another inside midfielder capable of getting the ball and throwing his weight around ala Mitch Hahn would be far more useful.

BTW I don't think we got the wrong Everitt. We have addressed our defiencies in defence long term with Williams, Wight & Everitt likely types.

alwaysadog
10-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Not what was on offer. Cloke, Everitt, Ackland & Bryan wouldn't help our side IMO. I'd rather Minson/Darcy or Minson/Street.

I AM surprised however that we didn't pick up a Ruckmen in the National Draft. I think it would've been a handy time to pick up a young 18-20 year old Ruck.

Eade doesn't seemt o rate them which is a worry IMO. GT didn't either, look what happened to The Saints. Granted, our stocks are better then theirs was but still.

Whilst we're a very godo ruckmen short, or in reality "Luke Darcy at his prime" short, I think another inside midfielder capable of getting the ball and throwing his weight around ala Mitch Hahn would be far more useful.

BTW I don't think we got the wrong Everitt. We have addressed our defiencies in defence long term with Williams, Wight & Everitt likely types.

Agree with most of what you say TBB except for needing a young ruckman this year. It's too early to know what use Darce will be and Will wasn't great on Sunday but who was? Street will get a go sooner rather than later.

IMHO we will pick a young ruckman soon... but he will have to have both a developed body and speed. And we will probably use a higher pick than the media mob think is justified, but that's what we did with Minson. He was what we wanted so we went and got him.

southerncross
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
IMHO we will pick a young ruckman soon... but he will have to have both a developed body and speed. And we will probably use a higher pick than the media mob think is justified, but that's what we did with Minson. He was what we wanted so we went and got him.

The thing is that we should have looked at this at least two seasons ago. The problem we now face is that it unlikely that drafting a young ruckman will give us any sort of return before we lose Darcy to retirement. My guess is that we could once again trade for a player that another team has developed that probably isn't still in the mix at his original club.

alwaysadog
10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
The thing is that we should have looked at this at least two seasons ago. The problem we now face is that it unlikely that drafting a young ruckman will give us any sort of return before we lose Darcy to retirement. My guess is that we could once again trade for a player that another team has developed that probably isn't still in the mix at his original club.

We might do both, IMHO if Eade gets our midfield the way he wants it I don't think he needs a super ruckman. All that is needed is a good competitor. My concern is much greater about our supposed crack midfield's inability to a) clear stopages and b) make space for each other when the going gets tough. Shades of Axe's downfall????

I may be reacting too strongly to a very down effort last Sunday, but the question is will they prove me wrong?

GVGjr
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Another game, another disaster with clearances.

Minson's not good at this stage of his career, Darcy's not fit and God knows what's happened to Street.

Meanwhile, by 2009 most of our quality vets will be gone or on their last legs just when Everitt Jr begins to hit his straps.

Should we have tried to get Everritt Sr to make the most of our 2007-08 window with our vets? Or one of the other available old ruckmen?

IMO we are not a top 4 team while we have this problem with clearances.

I don't think you can justify using a first round selection on a 33yo somewhat injury prone ruckman who is chasing big dollars and a long term contract unless you are like the Swans and know that you are thereabouts of winning a flag.
I don't think Eade rates ruckman that highly in the scheme of his game plans and while I think most of us agree that we need an emerging ruckman on the list I don't think Spida would have been a good fit for us.

Spida stitched up young Pattison on the weekend but I'm still not convinced he can dominate against some of the better guys.

Cyberdoggie
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
no i don't think so.

I was thoroughly impressed with the everitt we picked up on saturday,
and i'm not too concerned over our ruck stocks at the moment. Will had a bad game i'll admit that, but so did just about everyone who played that night. The week before we were all singing their praises. We could pick players from every position from that game and think of reasons why they should be dropped etc. Let's wait to see how they respond against the saints. I'm tipping they will rip the sainters a new one.

It seems to be a common theme that we fail after too much publicity. If there's one notable failure amongst our group it's that they get suckered into believe the hype, and not doing the work required.

alwaysadog
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
no i don't think so.

I was thoroughly impressed with the everitt we picked up on saturday,
and i'm not too concerned over our ruck stocks at the moment. Will had a bad game i'll admit that, but so did just about everyone who played that night. The week before we were all singing their praises. We could pick players from every position from that game and think of reasons why they should be dropped etc. Let's wait to see how they respond against the saints. I'm tipping they will rip the sainters a new one.

It seems to be a common theme that we fail after too much publicity. If there's one notable failure amongst our group it's that they get suckered into believe the hype, and not doing the work required.

I hope you're right about this weekend.

bornadog
11-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Eade has stated that in the future Wight may play in the ruck, after all he is 200cm, just needs to learn the game. If Tom Williams works out in the backline then this could be a good move.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Cam would need to improve his rucking out of sight. I'n games where he was selected to ruck, he didnt show anything. Play him where he can best use his talents, without a doubt, it's down back atm.