PDA

View Full Version : MCG parking protest

BulldogBelle
21-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Ok, glad I read that, will leave the car at Essendon station and get the train in....

MCG parking protest (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25665261-661,00.html)
The Herald Sun
David Hastie | June 21, 2009

IF YOU were planning on parking at the MCG for next Sunday's AFL clash between North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, consider public transport instead.

With the intent of blocking car parking ahead of the game, the Yarra Park Association has organised a picnic protest, dubbed the "Kick-Out-The-Cars Picnic".

Association spokesman Nik Dow said "hundreds" were expected to attend.

He said letter drops in the area, along with online campaigns, had drummed up significant interest.

"The local community is very passionate about this issue," Mr Dow said.

"Those 4000 cars that park there clog up the neighbourhood and cause tremendous congestion."

Mr Dow dismissed claims the picnic was illegal, saying the move to block car parking in Yarra Park did not break any laws.

"There's no reason why we would be doing anything illegal and there's no power to move us on," he said.

"But even if it was illegal, we would still have our picnic.

"We've liaised with the police about what we're doing."

Yarra Park is crown land managed by Melbourne City Council.

A five-year lease agreement between the State Government and the council is due to expire in October next year.

Lord Mayor Robert Doyle acknowledged the proposed protesters' plight and said the council would work to "achieve a better balance between the parkland needs and those of cars".

"Council is well aware of the strength of feeling within the Yarra community and their desire to see the park closed to traffic," Mr Doyle said.

"However, sporting stakeholders also feel strongly that cars should be allowed to park in Yarra Park to support attendance at sporting and other events.

"The increased number of activities in this precinct means that it is difficult to retain a green space of any amenity and also park the number of cars that are currently expected to be catered for within Yarra Park."

Secure Parking, which manages Yarra Park parking on game days, could not be reached for comment.

ledge
21-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I catch the train when its at the MCG anyway, so much easier and i usually walk to Flinders st on the way back, its not a bad walk and usually something going on.
A lot easier than getting out of the car park.

LostDoggy
21-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I'll probably catch ze train now. Why would they do it when it's us and North playing. It's not going to be a high drawing crowd anyway. They should do it when there's some massive 'blockbuster' game on...

Topdog
21-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I park near Docos st and walk. Takes about 15 minutes.

ledge
21-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll probably catch ze train now. Why would they do it when it's us and North playing. It's not going to be a high drawing crowd anyway. They should do it when there's some massive 'blockbuster' game on...

1 reason i can think of, the council misses out on the huge parking charges they make at blockbusters thus the residents miss out on the flow through on council doing things around the area?

LostDoggy
22-06-2009, 12:23 PM
I usually park along the Yarra opposite the Lexus centre and up further - is this where the protest will be taking place? :/

LostDoggy
22-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I usually park along the Yarra opposite the Lexus centre and up further - is this where the protest will be taking place? :/

No, isn't it at the parks along Punt Rd. on the grassed area under all the trees?

Desipura
25-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I have a carpark directly accross the road (not in a residential area) so I should be right getting in there.

Ozza
25-06-2009, 11:14 AM
The people protesting seriously need to get a life.

Doesn't affect me as I catch the train in. But still - its ridiculous. I'm sure none of them have ever had a picnic in the MCG car park and would never use those 'Parklands' anyway.