PDA

View Full Version : Elliotts reign at Carlton

ledge
21-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Well it just gets worse doesnt it, now its paying off women who were allegedly raped by players, not a good way to keep your female supporters i would imagine.

What does bringing this story to the press do for the club and why would you bring it up?
He pays them to shut up but then brings it up himself?

I am totally at a loss on why he would ever even mention it unless he is trying to hurt the club for some reason.

And this bloke could have been prime minister!

hujsh
21-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Do you have the story?

ledge
21-06-2009, 03:14 PM
OOps forgot to add it , here
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25665762-11088,00.html

ledge
21-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Footy 'hush cash'Article from: Sunday Herald SunFont size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment Ellen Whinnett

June 21, 2009 12:00am
FORMER Carlton president John Elliott has revealed the club paid women he claims falsely complained they were raped by Blues players.

Mr Elliott said the club had paid "four or five" women about $5000 each to keep them from going public.

The payments were made when Mr Elliott was president during the 1980s and '90s.

Mr Elliott said he believed the women had made up stories of rape and had, in fact, had consensual sex with players.

But he said the club had concerns one woman might be telling the truth. She also had accepted hush money.

Mr Elliott made the comments at a fund-raiser where he was debating the role of the media in sport, but went further when he spoke to the Sunday Herald Sun yesterday.

Asked why the women were paid off, he said: "We didn't want it to get in the press."

Mr Elliott said some women had been told to "go away", but others were paid.

He believed they had probably consented and then backtracked.

"There's some very ordinary people out there," he said.

He said the club thought the pay-offs were appropriate.

". . . rather than go through a huge front-page story . . . in all cases I know except one, the players denied it," he said.

He said he did not know if the women's claims were true and the chief executives of the day dealt with the complaints.

"We just sort of said, 'Righto, here's five grand, off you go' and they'd leave," he said.

Mr Elliott said all women offered payments took the money and dropped their complaints, which he said gave him confidence their stories had not been true.

But he said there was one case that was not so clear.

"Of the four or five, there was one that we were worried about, the others we knew were not true or we were told by the players they weren't true," he said.

Club spokesman Ian Coutts said: "John Elliott does not speak on behalf of the Carlton Football Club."

LostDoggy
21-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Pigs @rse!

comrade
21-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Just another thread added to the rich tapestry that is the culture of the Carlton Football Club.

ledge
21-06-2009, 07:05 PM
If this isnt taken further i will be very surprised , the AFL couldnt possibly let this one go.
I can see Demetriou, head in hands saying oh no not again, bloody Carlton.

AndrewP6
21-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Doesn't surprise at all, coming from CAAAAARLTON. The AFL ought to investigate, and if Jack's claims are in any way true, take more draft picks off them. They've been proven to be cheats before.

Sockeye Salmon
21-06-2009, 07:34 PM
If this isnt taken further i will be very surprised , the AFL couldnt possibly let this one go.
I can see Demetriou, head in hands saying oh no not again, bloody Carlton.

You're kidding!

Demetriou won't go near this with a barge pole.

"We don't respond to heresay"

AFL tactics 101 - ignore or deny, when wait until the media are sick of it.

ledge
21-06-2009, 07:55 PM
heresay? it was the president at the time , thats straight from the horses mouth.

The Pie Man
21-06-2009, 09:21 PM
The one that he was worried might be true, wonder if it involved a 95 premiership forward that I'm sure we've all heard rumours about.....

Just disgraceful

bornadog
21-06-2009, 11:02 PM
In 2003, I was boarding a plane from Sydney back to Melbourne and there was an AFL team that had played the previous night also boarding. I heard two well known players discussing a woman and some incident. One player said to the other, what are you going to do, and he said I will give her $5000 to keep her mouth shut.

I won't name the team (not Carlton (or doggies) per this thread), or the players.

Sockeye Salmon
22-06-2009, 12:06 AM
In 2003, I was boarding a plane from Sydney back to Melbourne and there was an AFL team that had played the previous night also boarding. I heard two well known players discussing a woman and some incident. One player said to the other, what are you going to do, and he said I will give her $5000 to keep her mouth shut.

I won't name the team (not Carlton (or doggies) per this thread), or the players.

Had you been umpiring?

Topdog
22-06-2009, 12:15 PM
good way to narrow it down SS.

bornadog
22-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Had you been umpiring?

haha,

we were actually lining up to board, and the players were standing behind me, whispering.

Remi Moses
22-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I love the fact that Pigs Arse thinks nearly all the women made it up!How the hell would he know? Just a pathetic attempt from yesterdays man to garner up some publicity for his website or his high rating show on ch 31.:eek:

ledge
22-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I love the fact that Pigs Arse thinks nearly all the women made it up!How the hell would he know? Just a pathetic attempt from yesterdays man to garner up some publicity for his website or his high rating show on ch 31.:eek:

Maybe but thats one hell of a story, i imagine Carlton would be ropeable on this, can you imagine how many women memberships it could effect?
Out and out stupid, no good can come of it at all.

Dancin' Douggy
22-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Demetriou will completely ignore this..............just watch.

ledge
22-06-2009, 05:03 PM
No action on Carlton sex pay-off claims
Courtney Walsh, Greg Denham | June 22, 2009 12:05pm

THE AFL is yet to discuss whether it will approach Carlton about claims that the club paid off women who complained of sexual assault. As reported in the Sunday Herald Sun, former Carlton president John Elliott said the Blues paid at least four women about $5000 each in compensation after they alleged they had been raped by players at the time.

Elliott, who made the claims while speaking at a charity event in Hobart, said while he doubted their veracity, the payments were made to keep the complaints from becoming public.

"Not once did any of those stories get into the press because in those days they probably only had 20 people writing in the press and they weren't interested in all that sort of nonsense," Elliott said.

"We'd pay the sheilas off and wouldn't hear another word."

The controversial Elliott, whose presidency ended when the club was found to have breached the AFL's salary cap rules, went further yesterday when confirming he was concerned about one case.

"Of the four or five, there was one that we were worried about, the others we knew were not true or we were told by the players they weren't true," he told the Sunday Herald Sun.

An AFL spokesman said yesterday that Elliott's allegations had not yet been discussed but pointed out that chief executive Andrew Demetriou invited victims of sexual misconduct by current or former players to approach the league shortly after he assumed the role in 2003, The Australian reports

The spokesman said several people had approached the AFL after Demetriou pledged to assist victims of sexual misconduct at the time of a scandal involving St Kilda players in 2004.

That scandal prompted the league to develop its Respect and Responsibility Social Policy.

"If (victims) felt comfortable coming to the AFL as their first port of call, we would welcome that," Demetriou said at the time.

"But if they felt they had to go through another channel, whether it's a rape crisis centre, then again we would encourage that."

The league spokesman was unable to specify whether any of those cases were linked with Carlton or the payouts alleged by Elliott.

LostDoggy
22-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Hardly new news hearing Carlton paid for their players secretly.

Topdog
23-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Andy is going to be very upset!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25681346-661,00.html

Kate said AFL officials, including CEO Andrew Demetriou (then CEO of the AFL Players Association) and former AFL boss Wayne Jackson, had also failed to help.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane confirmed the league had been made aware of the allegations.

"Yes, the AFL was contacted and we said as this was a police matter . . . she should contact the police Ombudsman," he said

The Pie Man
24-06-2009, 11:27 AM
No action on Carlton sex pay-off claims
Courtney Walsh, Greg Denham | June 22, 2009 12:05pm

Elliott, who made the claims while speaking at a charity event in Hobart, said while he doubted their veracity, the payments were made to keep the complaints from becoming public.

".

I wonder if the state he was presenting in triggered his memory, hence why he brought this up....

The Coon Dog
24-06-2009, 11:33 AM
From the article in the Herald Sun:

"If you know something, Mr Elliott, please come forward. If you are talking about me, please help me and do what is right."

But Mr Elliott told the Herald Sun he had no interest in helping her.

"She said what? I have no idea and I'm not interested. The story has got totally out of hand. I'm really not interested at all," he said.

How would he feel if it was his daughter? A complete creep in my view. :mad:

Remi Moses
24-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Sub Human individual. :mad::mad:Yeah just think he was touted as afuture PM of our country.Sums up that side of politics:eek:

ledge
24-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Just read an updated article where Fev comments on women and respect, like he can talk, how many times has he played up on his Mrs?
The man who dresses as a woman with a phallics symbol hanging out of his pants in the middle of Melbourne while ladies and children walk past.
This story is gaining momentum and Demetriou is trying to distance himself from it.
Carlton football club are probably doing the right thing by shutting up, could open more cans of worms.

The Pie Man
24-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I heard Demetriou on radio say there's 'no evidence' to support this.

In the voice of Chris Griffin from Family Guy.... ooooohhhhhwwwwhhhhhhaaaaarrrrrhhhhhhhtttttt!!!

ledge
24-06-2009, 06:28 PM
What does he want receipts ?

strebla
25-06-2009, 12:53 AM
This is an absolute discrace no woman should be treated in this way and then to get raped again (via the media) years later you are a sick and twisted turd Elliot if the afl do nothing they are as bad as the rugby league

ledge
25-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Dont just blame Elliott, remember he was part of the Carlton football club who accepted this too.

LostDoggy
25-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Dont just blame Elliott, remember he was part of the Carlton football club who accepted this too.

Elliott always treated the Carlton Football Club as if he owned it.....surely the "buck stops with him" and the rapist if proven to be true.....:mad:

Just a side issue spinning from this....if these payments were made on behalf of the players concerned, does it affect the salary cap?

The Coon Dog
25-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Just a side issue spinning from this....if these payments were made on behalf of the players concerned, does it affect the salary cap?

Surely you're not suggesting a club with the honesty & integrity of Carlton would cheat on the rest of the competition & do something that might contravene the Salary Cap! Never!! :rolleyes:

The hard part would be a) getting the AFL to get off its dot & investigate & b) proving it.

LostDoggy
26-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Surely you're not suggesting a club with the honesty & integrity of Carlton would cheat on the rest of the competition & do something that might contravene the Salary Cap! Never!! :rolleyes:

The hard part would be a) getting the AFL to get off its dot & investigate & b) proving it.

C'mon Baz...you know me far better than that...I have nothing but respect for that football club and all that it stands for!!:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
26-06-2009, 04:39 PM

It would appear that this is true, although why he would seek publicity with this kind of story is beyond me. It will be interesting to see how it develops.