PDA

View Full Version : Ward Misses Out!

Scorlibo
23-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Aaron Joseph has received the round 12 nomination, after his "standout" display against St Kilda in which he amassed 19 touches! I don't mind Joseph and I think he is deserving of a nomination, but not after Ward racks up more disposals than any of the previously nominated players have this season!

craigsahibee
23-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Who does Callan have to sleep with to get nominated?

Mantis
23-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Joseph has been pretty consistent and probably deserved a nomination at some point, I just don't think it should have come this week. Ward has had 3 or 4 very good games in a row and thoroughly deserved a nomination this week.

knowitall
23-06-2009, 10:28 AM
So so stiff young Ward.
Never mind though, Ward will be a great player for the club this year, so i'm sure he will get another chance to be nominated by seasons end.

bornadog
23-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Who the hell picks the nominations??? Ward with 33 disposals, surely should be the nominee for this week. This stinks:mad:

knowitall
23-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Who the hell picks the nominations??? Ward with 33 disposals, surely should be the nominee for this week. This stinks:mad:

Not a true enough indication of whether or not he was dominant enough to receive the nomination.
33 possessions is fantastic, but Aaron Joseph kept Milne to 8 possessions, and had 19 himself.

Scorlibo
23-06-2009, 10:39 AM
How can he pick up more disposals than any other eligible young player has this year, after a great month of footy, and still not get the nomination?

Scorlibo
23-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Not a true enough indication of whether or not he was dominant enough to receive the nomination.
33 possessions is fantastic, but Aaron Joseph kept Milne to 8 possessions, and had 19 himself.

It's not hard to keep Milne quiet given the right attention. He only averages 12 anyway. Joseph would have been deserving of a nomination in a week where there were no standout performers.

knowitall
23-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Aaron Joseph has been playing pretty well all year. Definitely deserves a nomination, and the selectors base alot of their decision on form and consistency, not just in the week of the nomination. Very true that Ward has had a good month of football, but Joseph has had a good year of football. Congratulations young Aaron Joseph

Topdog
23-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Aaron Joseph has been playing pretty well all year. Definitely deserves a nomination, and the selectors base alot of their decision on form and consistency, not just in the week of the nomination. Very true that Ward has had a good month of football, but Joseph has had a good year of football. Congratulations young Aaron Joseph

The decisions really are farcical at times and this week is one of them. You have people like Barxham getting the nods after 1 semi decent match when others should have been given them. The Rising Star is supposed to be for the best young player of the week and Joseph did nothing to indicate that he was the best young player this week. Either they have forgotten that Cal is eligible or they have just plain stuffed up.

Congrats to Joseph though, he has had a good start to his career.

Sedat
23-06-2009, 11:58 AM
The decisions really are farcical at times and this week is one of them. You have people like Barxham getting the nods after 1 semi decent match when others should have been given them. The Rising Star is supposed to be for the best young player of the week and Joseph did nothing to indicate that he was the best young player this week. Either they have forgotten that Cal is eligible or they have just plain stuffed up.

Congrats to Joseph though, he has had a good start to his career.
Joseph's job on Milne was every bit as complete as Hargrave's job on Milne last season, so I'd suggest that is a pretty compelling argument to give Joseph the nod this week. Doesn't mean that Ward isn't extremeny unlucky. And I could not agree more in relation to Barham's nomination - the voters screwed that week's nomination up royally by not rewarding either one of Ziebell or Joseph for their consistency in the first 4 rounds. But I don't think they screwed this week's nomination up, just made a tight call over two very worthy nominees.

LostDoggy
23-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Not important. What's important is his steady development, not awards. I don't mind that not only Ward, but many of our players this season have flown under the radar of the votes/awards and such like.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't see the issue. I lost ALL interest in this stupid award after KB couldn't find any room for Griffen is his top 3 when every single other voter did. Now i don't care, it's a subject award which does not indicate a bloody thing. For all Deledio's winning the thing, how does he compare to Griff, let alone Roughy and Buddy. Cyril Rioli didn't win it last year, yet some of his individual performances helped win a premiership. Stupid, stupid, meaningless award.

Rant over.

The Pie Man
23-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyone see Rohan Smith on AFL Teams a few weeks ago talking about taggers, and in particular Joseph. Pickers & Parkin were baiting saying 'off air you called him a cheat' and Bubba was getting pretty fired up over the issue, saying he goes to football to watch the great players, not taggers.

Ward stiff to miss this week

Mantis
23-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't see the issue. I lost ALL interest in this stupid award after KB couldn't find any room for Griffen is his top 3 when every single other voter did. Now i don't care, it's a subject award which does not indicate a bloody thing. For all Deledio's winning the thing, how does he compare to Griff, let alone Roughy and Buddy. Cyril Rioli didn't win it last year, yet some of his individual performances helped win a premiership. Stupid, stupid, meaningless award.

Rant over.

Pretty sure he didn't give him a single vote in the end of year rankings where it is voted on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis so Griff didn't even make his top 5, I think everyone else gave him atleast 3 or 4 votes.

ledge
23-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Isnt KB a dogs supporter? He is quite strange at times though.
I think Ward will get the award next time he plays a half decent game, it is based on consistency through out the season to isnt it?

bulldogtragic
23-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Pretty sure he didn't give him a single vote in the end of year rankings where it is voted on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis so Griff didn't even make his top 5, I think everyone else gave him atleast 3 or 4 votes.
Right you are Mantis on both counts. After that I have never taken the award seriously.

Bulldog Revolution
23-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't think its a big issue,

Ward has had a terrific month, and would no doubt like to be nominated. He appears to be fitter and running stronly, and providing a good balance of winning the footuy in traffic whilst also hurting teams with his run, carry, and goals

If getting snubbed or slighted motivates him to keep working harder then its a good thing.

Joseph has been v.good and is an annoying customer for most of the guys he plays on

Scorlibo
23-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree with your sentiment bulldogtragic, but Cyril Rioli is the most overrated player in the league, especially in Melbourne circles, and Rhys Palmer's debut season was outstanding.

LostDoggy
23-06-2009, 10:41 PM
soooo fed up!!!
by this standard it wont be till Ward gets Ablett like disposals when he gets the nom!
Its the same with premiership betting...why do the hawks have lower premiership odds than us?
coz of a 'popular' membership base.
People will always look over the dogs, and it STINKS!!!!!!!!

jazzadogs
24-06-2009, 12:59 AM
I agree with your sentiment bulldogtragic, but Cyril Rioli is the most overrated player in the league, especially in Melbourne circles, and Rhys Palmer's debut season was outstanding.
Disagree that Cyril is the most overrated player in the league. No-one is saying that he is the best player in the league, just that he is a very talented player and does some very 'delicious' things. Palmer got a lot of the ball but there are still a lot of doubts over the way he uses it.

Ward's time will come. He is a talented kid, and he's shown that he's willing to get the hard ball which would suggest he will keep getting possessions.

Scorlibo
24-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Disagree that Cyril is the most overrated player in the league. No-one is saying that he is the best player in the league, just that he is a very talented player and does some very 'delicious' things. Palmer got a lot of the ball but there are still a lot of doubts over the way he uses it.

Ward's time will come. He is a talented kid, and he's shown that he's willing to get the hard ball which would suggest he will keep getting possessions.

The Herald Sun rate him the 6th best player in the league, that is overrating him enormously.

Rhys Palmer disposal efficiency: 65.4%
Cyril Rioli disposal efficiency: 66.73%

Go_Dogs
24-06-2009, 12:42 PM
The Herald Sun rate him the 6th best player in the league, that is overrating him enormously.

Rhys Palmer disposal efficiency: 65.4%
Cyril Rioli disposal efficiency: 66.73%

Cyril is going to be an absolute gun. Palmer will be too, but Cyril will end up a goal kicking mid with all the tricks. Palmer is happier in and under and although his footskills probably aren't as bad as some make them out to be, his decision making and ball use isn't as good as Cyril's.

Bad luck for young Ward, but the consistency he's shown over the past few weeks has been very pleasing. No reason why he can't continue on for the rest of the season and end up having a serious crack at taking out the award.