PDA

View Full Version : Old Dogs still showing tricks, says Eade

BulldogBelle
23-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Johnno....

Old Dogs still showing tricks, says Eade (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79153/default.aspx)
The AFL Website
Jennifer Witham | Tue 23 June, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson has another season left in him, according to coach Rodney Eade.

Johnson, who turns 33 in July, has had fluctuating form this season but has remained sound fitness-wise and has been in the Bulldogs' best five times.

In an exclusive interview with afl.com.au, Eade said he thought Johnson would have the ability to play on into a 17th season – if he wanted to.

"I would think if he's mentally fresh enough, he would be able to play on," Eade said.

"With the way he's playing at the moment, it's a testament to his work rate. He's had a great pre-season, he doesn't miss any sessions, he works really hard and his leadership is terrific.

"We'll sit down with Brad at the end of the season and see where he's at mentally and physically. If he can maintain his form and he's keen to go on, I don't see why not."

Eade said he had been pleased with all the club's senior players this year, and felt the collective group was ahead of where he anticipated it would be.

"Johnno, Aker, Welsh, Eagleton and Hudson … the five of them have been good," he said.

"Johnno started well and then was a bit patchy because he had a bit of an injury, just a niggle, but his last few weeks have been terrific.

"Aker's season has been fantastic, Eagleton has had a consistent year but his last three weeks have seen him go to another level, and Hudson had a down patch but he's really competed well against opposition ruckmen.

"Welshy is the one that was down a bit with injuries but he's come back and we've thought his first couple of games have been pretty good.

"All those players we're pretty pleased with."

Eade also said Johnson's captaincy successor could come from any member of the Dogs' six-man leadership group.

ledge
23-06-2009, 01:30 PM
So at this rate our older blokes are stayng another year.
Thus does this mean goodbye to blokes like Wight, Skipper and a couple more younger players who sadly just havent cut it?
Each club has to turnover how many players a year?

chef
23-06-2009, 02:00 PM
So at this rate our older blokes are stayng another year.
Thus does this mean goodbye to blokes like Wight, Skipper and a couple more younger players who sadly just havent cut it?
Each club has to turnover how many players a year?

3 players.

ledge
23-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I had 5 in my head for some reason, thanks chef.

Go_Dogs
23-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see all of the older blokes retained for another year, assuming their form doesn't drop off too much towards the end of the year and the finals.

If we are as close to the flag as the majority believe we are, having these guys on board next year may be crucial.

Johnno's work rate this year has been amazing.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Glad to hear the coach give credit to the older guys, like Nathan...

bulldogtragic
23-06-2009, 02:17 PM
3 players.
Skipper, Wight and O'Shea.

Mantis
23-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see all of the older blokes retained for another year, assuming their form doesn't drop off too much towards the end of the year and the finals.

If we are as close to the flag as the majority believe we are, having these guys on board next year may be crucial.

Johnno's work rate this year has been amazing.

How and why?

If we are close to a flag we will need to improve and this improvement will need to come from across the board. I don't think we will be able to carry as many older players as we have this year as one would expect that their performances will drop off a little which places an unfair task on our younger players to not only pick up the slack, but also improve such that we can take the extra step.

I guess we will know alot more after the finals this year when we will be in a much better position to see how we as a team is placed to either make up the ground we need to or maintain our position (hopefully the latter)

ledge
23-06-2009, 03:22 PM
How and why?

If we are close to a flag we will need to improve and this improvement will need to come from across the board. I don't think we will be able to carry as many older players as we have this year as one would expect that their performances will drop off a little which places an unfair task on our younger players to not only pick up the slack, but also improve such that we can take the extra step.

I guess we will know alot more after the finals this year when we will be in a much better position to see how we as a team is placed to either make up the ground we need to or maintain our position (hopefully the latter)

Can we change that to Grand final?

LostDoggy
23-06-2009, 04:49 PM
IMO, the younger guns have contributed big time to our "senior" brigade having a good year but taking the pressure off them to perform. I think it's great that we are not having to rely on Johnno and co. so much this year, and am sure the club will get the mix right for next season (depending on how we fare in the Grannie this year :D)

Go_Dogs
23-06-2009, 06:17 PM
How and why?

Experience, talent.

Johnson, Welsh and Aker will again be 3 of our top 5 goal kickers - if they can hold their own or even drop a little more their output will still be crucial. Hudson is very important in the middle, and if Eagleton continues his good form he offers some great run and ability to break the lines with run and kicks, which is increasingly important in the modern game.

At the moment our best 22 contains all of them. If that remains the same towards the end of the year, no reason why they shouldn't be considered in our best 22 next year. At worst they will be some great back up should we suffer injuries or a few kids not kick on as expected.

Of course, it's all reliant on them finishing the year well.

Dazza
24-06-2009, 07:56 PM
If we win the premiership this year how many of them do you think would stay on for another year?

bornadog
24-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Skipper, Wight and O'Shea.

I doubt we will let O'Shea go, he is still only 20 and has had some bad luck with injury.

I would say we will not be carrying 5 x 30 year olds next year, so at least one will go.

Mantis
24-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I would say we will not be carrying 5 x 30 year olds next year, so at least one will go.

Welsh was signed on a 2 year contract and it has been stated all the way along that he wanted to give it away at the end of that contract (end of the 09 season).

With his body only just going I can't see him playing on next year.

comrade
24-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I doubt we will let O'Shea go, he is still only 20 and has had some bad luck with injury.

A lot will depend on if he get on the park and play some decent footy in the second half of the year.

I think he could possibly be a candidate for the old 'delist/re-rookie' as he's still very young and very, very raw. He's been in our system for a few years and is probably a good investment, especially considering the pilfering that Gold Coast is about to partake in.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2009, 09:08 PM
A lot will depend on if he get on the park and play some decent footy in the second half of the year.

I think he could possibly be a candidate for the old 'delist/re-rookie' as he's still very young and very, very raw. He's been in our system for a few years and is probably a good investment, especially considering the pilfering that Gold Coast is about to partake in.
Lake, Morris, Hargy, Williams, Tiller, Everitt, Boumann. - Callan, DFA, Harbrow, Gilbee and runners off the HBF in pletheroa...

Holding onto O'Shea on the main list isn't essential. Re-rooking maybe an option, I wouldn't object as we need to make decision on 3 rookies this year, but I would rather make the decision this year not next.

Mantis
24-06-2009, 09:20 PM

Perhaps they might play Mulligan and O'Shea off against each other over the 2nd half of the season and keep one of them.

comrade
24-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Perhaps they might play Mulligan and O'Shea off against each other over the 2nd half of the season and keep one of them.

Maybe - I can't see both being there next year.