PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown v Casey Scorpions - Round 11

The Coon Dog
23-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Just a reminder that Williamstown's game is this Saturday (27 June) & it starts at 1.10pm. The reserves start at 10.20am.

For those unable to make it to Burbank Oval, the game will be televised on the ABC.

GVGjr
23-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I'll be heading out to Casey to watch the U18. 3 games on the same day now with the SA game being moved to Friday.

I'll have to record the game on the ABC.

comrade
23-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll be heading out to Casey to watch the U18. 3 games on the same day now with the SA game being moved to Friday.
I'll have to record the game on the ABC.

GVG, I expect comprehensive reports on all 3 games :). Can you keep a special eye out for Gary Rohan of Vic Country?

GVGjr
23-06-2009, 09:35 PM
GVG, I expect comprehensive reports on all 3 games :). Can you keep a special eye out for Gary Rohan of Vic Country?

Vic country is the side I'm most interested in and I'll keep an eye out for Rohan.

Dustin Martin is another one I want to get a better look at.

comrade
25-06-2009, 05:34 PM
VFL Round 11
Williamstown Vs Casey Scorpions
Burbank Oval
Saturday 27th June

Reserves - 10:20am

B Cartelli Meyer Mulligan
HB Wood Boumann Daniels
C Rampe Langlands White
HF Egan Shaw Lockwood
F Joyce Galea Lynch
R Roughead Cravino Gotch
Int Lee Jones Young Isbister Sablich Ogle Muir Tanner Georgiadis Grossman

Seniors - 1:10pm

B Addison Cloke Tiller
HB Picken Williams Callan
C Eagleton Johnson Everitt
HF Giansiracusa Wight Davies
F Reid Little O'Keefe
R Skipper Ward Rose
Int Cordy Roughead Stack Galea Gotch Langlands Lockwood Daniels Stretton Grant Jolley Notman

With APS footy having a break for a few weeks, we get to see Liam Jones turn out for the reserves. Also, good to see Wood named after struggling with injury.

Boumann still can't break into the seniors ;)

Grant's not named in the starting 18 for the seniors - is that a message?

Plenty of good stuff to see for Bulldog supporters.

Happy Days
25-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Plenty of encouraging signs to offset Grant's benching, such as Daniels in the seniors and Roughead presumably keeping his spot.

As for Boumann, it's a bit hard to crack that back six.

comrade
25-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Plenty of encouraging signs to offset Grant's benching, such as Daniels in the seniors and Roughead presumably keeping his spot.

As for Boumann, it's a bit hard to crack that back six.

Daniels is named in the reserves starting 18 so I assume he'll play there, but he's probably only another good performance away from cracking the main team.

I'm not against naming Grant on the bench - hopefully he responds.

Also, I think everyone knows of my man-love for Boumann. If I had my way he'd be captain-coach of the Bulldogs ;)

GVGjr
25-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Strong reserves side and no sign of O'Shea yet.

Happy Days
25-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Daniels is named in the reserves starting 18 so I assume he'll play there, but he's probably only another good performance away from cracking the main team.

Sorry, worded that bit poorly.

Meant to say "good to see him named in the seniors".

bornadog
25-06-2009, 10:53 PM

Also, I think everyone knows of my man-love for Boumann. If I had my way he'd be captain-coach of the Bulldogs ;)

Talking to a Willi trainer last week he has big wraps on Daniels, especially his athletic ability.

Mantis
26-06-2009, 08:18 AM

By my calculations 6 players named in the Williamstown seniors will not play so from the 12 named on the bench just 2 will miss out. At a guess I think it will come down to Galea, Notman & Daniels for the last spot so fingers crossed I guess.

alexxx
26-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Finally! We get some air time on ABC

First time for the season?

Being undefeated for weeks on end without coverage..whats with that? It's not like we were bottom 4 last year either..

bulldogtragic
26-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Finally! We get some air time on ABC

First time for the season?

Being undefeated for weeks on end without coverage..whats with that? It's not like we were bottom 4 last year either..
Ditto. I'm looking forward to a nice afternoon in with the heater on and watching some kids put their hands up for selection for the dogs.

GVGjr
26-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Ditto. I'm looking forward to a nice afternoon in with the heater on and watching some kids put their hands up for selection for the dogs.

You should make the trip and see Jones in the magoos :)

bulldogtragic
26-06-2009, 09:53 PM
You should make the trip and see Jones in the magoos :)
Don't tease me, that would be cruel. Is Jones playing in the Magoos.?

Happy Days
26-06-2009, 09:57 PM

He's in the Magees if you want to get technical; second name on the bench.

GVGjr
26-06-2009, 09:58 PM

VFL Round 11
Williamstown Vs Casey Scorpions
Burbank Oval
Saturday 27th June

Reserves - 10:20am

Int Lee Jones Young Isbister Sablich Ogle Muir Tanner Georgiadis Grossman

Looks like it

bulldogtragic
26-06-2009, 10:00 PM
He's in the Magees if you want to get technical; second name on the bench.
I can't get there tomorrow, but I have claimed Liam all to myself.

If you read this message and are thinking about getting down there, get down early and watch this kid. His first and only game for the willy magoos was absolutely outstanding.

I love him and he's mine to claim! :)

Those that go i would love an in depth appraisal of his game. This kid has all the attributes of a certain type of player we have been looking for for quite some time. I don't want to put too much pressure on him, but seeing him in the flesh a month back impressed the hell out of me.

alexxx
27-06-2009, 03:47 PM
What an awesome comeback!!

How about Everitt....shocking turnover kick into the middle, followed up by a nice mark and goal.

Sam Reid? Why are you playing VFL!!! He should be playing for us, that was a great game from him.

Big Will
27-06-2009, 03:55 PM
While everyone's busy claiming Liam Jones, I'm putting my hand up for Sam Reid!

While the first 3 quarters were not too flash, the doggies boys really stood up in that last quarter- Addison, Skipper, Callan and O'Keefe :) AND SAMMY REID!!!

mighty_west
27-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Stacky also did some nice things, hopefully Boumann did ok in the ressies, as Cam Wight turns the ball over far too much.

Mantis
27-06-2009, 04:08 PM
What an awesome comeback!!

How about Everitt....shocking turnover kick into the middle, followed up by a nice mark and goal.

Sam Reid? Why are you playing VFL!!! He should be playing for us, that was a great game from him.

Who's spot do you think he should take?

mjp
27-06-2009, 04:12 PM
By my calculations 6 players named in the Williamstown seniors will not play so from the 12 named on the bench just 2 will miss out. At a guess I think it will come down to Galea, Notman & Daniels for the last spot so fingers crossed I guess.

I reckon Notman is a Jets kid which means they will be playing 23.

alexxx
27-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Who's spot do you think he should take?

Mainly looking at that as the 'inclusion' for Gilbee, but the fact he and Callan played VFL means Gilbee is ok. He's knocking on that door
but yeah you can't really take anyone out unless of a rested player or injury.

Mofra
27-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Reid is clearly AFL ready, although he doesn't offer us anything that Boyd / Ward / Cross doesn't so would need an injury to a similar type before snagging another game IMO.

Good to see Stack show a few more glimpses - I still think his form post-debut is better than his pre-debut form. Will be watching his pre-season with interest.

Chops
27-06-2009, 04:40 PM
No Tiller, was he an emergency?

comrade
27-06-2009, 04:59 PM
2009 VFL Reserves
Williamstown 7.3 10.9 13.17 19.25 (139)
Casey Scorpions 4.2 9.4 11.6 14.9 (93)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Joyce 3 Egan 2 Cravino 2 Georgiadis 2 Jones 2 Meyer 2 Lynch 2 Grossman 2 Cartelli White
Casey Scorpions: Waite 3 Scanlon 2 Dean 2 Oldmeadow Clay Mildren Williams Matheson Chivers Virtue

BEST:
Williamstown: Wood Cravino Cartelli Boumann Shaw Lynch
Casey Scorpions: Chivers Collins Williams Blaser Lees Snow

Wood was outstanding, taking strong mark after strong mark across half back and breaking the lines. His disposal was very good, and he was easily best on ground. Great comeback from injury.

Boumann was also solid down back, with his kicking a feature. Wight struggled in the seniors, so he may get promoted.

Mulligan was well beaten at full back early, but fought back well. He was also thrown into the ruck where he looked impressive. A great athlete who is becoming a good footballer.

Lynch had a solid 4 qtr game. His ability to move through traffic was impressive and he was creative up forward, finishing with 2 goals.

Jones started well - marking a ball on the lead and then hitting up a team mate with a 40m pass. The entry in the 50 was pretty average so he didn't get many chances. Made good position in contests and nearly took a lot of grabs - just didn't stick today. Kicked an absolute blinder in the forward pocket on his opposite foot, dribbling it through the goals.

Daniels copped a leg injury early and had little impact.

White did some nice things but lacked penetration in his kicking.

Shaw's work around the ground was very good, as was his ruckwork.

Chops
27-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I wonder how Cleary gave Ben Davies BOG? He was so slow at times.

comrade
27-06-2009, 05:08 PM

TCD and I were both suprised that Davies got it - made some shocking errors.

The Doctor
27-06-2009, 05:14 PM

that's outrageous and clearly shows his bias towards VFL players. I thought Callan was BOG despite the match winning efforts of Reid in the last 1/4.

In fact, the Willi players were very ordinary today and it was the young Bulldogs who drove Willi to a remarkable comeback victory.

Chops
27-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Well I thought Sam Reid almost singlehandedly won that game with his efforts in the last quarter. I didn't see the 3rd quarter but I would have had him BOG for the rest of the game. Cleary hates the AFL and therefore hates AFL aligned players.

Chops
27-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Cordy is at least 5kg from playing seniors.
You could almost have J Grant there too.
Of the younger tall types probably Roughead looks best but not sure about his fitness.

mighty_west
27-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Of the younger tall types probably Roughead looks best but not sure about his fitness.

I really like the way Roughead goes about it, will be a dominant tap out ruckman in the future, but also go forward and take a few grabs, a full pre seaosn at the end of this season, and i reckon he could play quite a bit in the Dogs side, could also give him a bit of a taste this year and give Huddo a rest before the finals.

minson27
27-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Well I thought Sam Reid almost singlehandedly won that game with his efforts in the last quarter.

Got to agree with that, i thought he was awesome in that last qtr.

Loving watching Roughead play as well...

Great comeback by Williamstown.

LostDogHome
27-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Try 10kg! The guy is a broomstick! Great skills for his size but he would get smashed at afl level as a kpp or ruckman. Grant also needs a few kgs as do a few others.

comrade
27-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Grant stood up in the last quarter, presenting well and working hard up the ground. Showed some good signs when the game was there to be won. Once he's fitter and bigger, look out.

Hot_Doggies
27-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Anyone know where i can see some highlights from the ABC telecast match?

The Doctor
27-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I really like the way Roughead goes about it, will be a dominant tap out ruckman in the future, but also go forward and take a few grabs, a full pre seaosn at the end of this season, and i reckon he could play quite a bit in the Dogs side, could also give him a bit of a taste this year and give Huddo a rest before the finals.

Roughead will be the Bulldogs number 1 ruckman within 3 years. Possibly earlier.

His tapping ability is well noted. However his awareness of where his rovers are is uncanny.

At the next draft or two we should look for a burst midfielder (ie. a midfielder who has great speed off the mark) to work off him as this type of combination will rip teams apart.

Cooney will love him!

The Doctor
27-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Grant stood up in the last quarter, presenting well and working hard up the ground. Showed some good signs when the game was there to be won. Once he's fitter and bigger, look out.

Grant's second half was superb.

He led up the ground looking for the ball a la Rob Murphy. When Willi were under seige and had no where to go Grant often became the get out option. I thought it displayed his intelligence. His hands were excellent and he was important in keeping control of the ball when everyone else seemed to give it away.

hujsh
27-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Damn forgot it was on.

No wonder so many sound like they watched the game.

dazb
27-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Good win today. So lucky they're last kick at goal bounced the wrong way. Good to see they are looking for roughead to kick to in a contested situation although most of the kicks were well off the mark. Must have a bit of faith in him.

Some things I took from the game.

Everitt is seriously not a backman. I saw him squib the contest a few times today, worrying signs. Still think his best position is a wing.
Roughead can take a strong grab.
Brennan Stack was quite good over the 4 quarters. In the mix for B.O.G before the last quarter
Cameron Wight is on borrowed time
Ayce Cordy once again showed glimpses he could be a potential star. Just really needs to put on weight so so so badly.
Callan could come in the side at any time.
Jarrod Grant needs another pre-season
Reids last quarter was very good, getting himself involved in every contested situation and more often than not winning out. Showed great courage a few times going back with the flight also.
O'keefe was good without being outstanding. Everything he did paid off though. Silky skills. Reminds me of Higgins a little.

Rocco Jones
27-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Roughead will be the Bulldogs number 1 ruckman within 3 years. Possibly earlier.

His tapping ability is well noted. However his awareness of where his rovers are is uncanny.

At the next draft or two we should look for a burst midfielder (ie. a midfielder who has great speed off the mark) to work off him as this type of combination will rip teams apart.

Cooney will love him!

I really like the look of him as well.

He is an incredibly intelligent ruckman for his age and looks at least mobile enough around the ground.

LostDogHome
27-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Wight was terrible, even at VFL level. He makes some very bad decisions, and lacks awareness..... I don't think he'll have his contract extended or be playing AFL again!

A few young Dogs playing though, Addison I thought did very well, Everitt was ok, and Callan, O'Keefe, Reid all good as well.

azabob
27-06-2009, 05:59 PM
No Tiller, was he an emergency?

Yeah Tilller was an emergency, but also during the week he was "apparently" injuired and would miss 2 weeks.
So who knows what the go is.

The Doctor
27-06-2009, 06:07 PM
A few young Dogs playing though, Addison I thought did very well,

Addison had one of those hot and cold days. However it was his hard ball get close to full time that got it to Reid for the match winner put a lot of shine on his performance. That was a mighty effort.

Cyberdoggie
27-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone who taped the game, take a look at the Willy boys singing the song at the end, pay special attention to the joyous faces off all the boys except for 1 player. Jarryd Grant.

He looked positively miserable in the circle. Bizarre body language if you ask me. :confused:

azabob
27-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Anyone who taped the game, take a look at the Willy boys singing the song at the end, pay special attention to the joyous faces off all the boys except for 1 player. Jarryd Grant.

He looked positively miserable in the circle. Bizarre body language if you ask me. :confused:

Do you reckon it had something to do with him not knowing the words to the club song? I'd be looking sheepish if I didnt know the club song either....

comrade
27-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen the replay yet, but Grant was more energetic on field than I've seen him for a few weeks.

I think he's just naturally a brooding-type of guy.

The Doctor
27-06-2009, 06:31 PM

I saw the song at the end and I don't think there is anything to make of it. I'm surprised you found it was worth noting.

mighty_west
27-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you reckon it had something to do with him not knowing the words to the club song? I'd be looking sheepish if I didnt know the club song either....

The words to the song are written in big bold wording on the wall, you'd notice a few of the boys having a look up...;)

bulldogtragic
27-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Some pretty average 4 quarter performances - but some very good individual performances in that last quarter.

Agree with some comments on Everitt. I would like to see him played in the Gilbee type role, his field kicking is just about as good, and ensure Tiller and Boumann are coming through to fill the tall backs spots.

Gee Stack has benefitted from his one AFL game. Whether he deserved it or nor is a moot point, i think it has done wonders for him and we saw some of the special qualities Eade sees too.

Reid is a good kid, and would love him in the side, hard to know who he would displace. I fear he might be the target of GC17 if he can't see a big future with us.

Roughy, Cordy and Grant all gave us a tiny glimpse of our future side in a few years. I like the few very good things they did.

Callan and DFA aren't displacing Harbrow with performances like todays.

Wight needs to be dropped and Boumann given an extended run.

I don't know what more Lynch has to do to get promoted?

chef
27-06-2009, 07:10 PM
How did Jones go in the ressies?

Happy Days
27-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Grant's second half was superb.

He led up the ground looking for the ball a la Rob Murphy. When Willi were under seige and had no where to go Grant often became the get out option. I thought it displayed his intelligence. His hands were excellent and he was important in keeping control of the ball when everyone else seemed to give it away.

Precisely. He also won alot of his own ball, which was a good sign. He was one of the higher possesion winners on the ground.

Also, he finally lost the long sleeve jumper, which can only be a positive :)

comrade
27-06-2009, 07:15 PM
How did Jones go in the ressies?

Allow me the indulgence of quoting myself :)

Jones started well - marking a ball on the lead and then hitting up a team mate with a 40m pass. The entry in the 50 was pretty average so he didn't get many chances. Made good position in contests and nearly took a lot of grabs - just didn't stick today. Kicked an absolute blinder in the forward pocket on his opposite foot, dribbling it through the goals.

He moves very nicely and looks a natural CHF. If everything goes right, and he develops into the player he really should become - get excited.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Allow me the indulgence of quoting myself :)

He moves very nicely and looks a natural CHF. If everything goes right, and he develops into the player he really should become - get excited.
I am already the number 1 ticket holder from 6 weeks back!!! (His first game against Frankston magoos was absolutely outstanding, let alone for his first game) - And he is still playing school footy against our future f/s selections.

There is a lot of up side and a lot to look forward to. Give him some time to develop, and i'm more excited about him than Grant, Roughy and Cordy at this stage, and i'm excited about these 3 too.

Whilst Ray is givin g great service to the Saints, we could be the long term winners. He just has the indefinable quality when you see him mark, kick, goal, lead and play - you say "boy he can play, he just got 'it'".

comrade
27-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I am already the number 1 ticket holder from 6 weeks back!!! (His first game against Frankston magoos was absolutely outstanding, let alone for his first game) - And he is still playing school footy against our future f/s selections.

Yes, yes - I know he's your 'boy'. It wouldn't be right to claim him now

Anyway, I already have Boumann and Wood in my stable. :)

LostDogHome
27-06-2009, 08:02 PM
O'keefe was good without being outstanding. Everything he did paid off though. Silky skills. Reminds me of Higgins a little.[/QUOTE]

Agree Okeefe is a young Higgins all over albeit a left footed version.

Just watched the last qtr again on replay it was a great win!
What great depth the dogs have with Everitt,Callan,Addison & Stack playing well today but the win was set up in the last qtr by 2 young pups who had had fair days up until that stage in Reid & Okeefe.
Alot of man love for Reid's last qtr & rightly so he set up the victory with his hardness
& clearance work but Okeefe's last qtr was also outstanding i counted 10 possies all effective with an important intercepeted goal & direct passes to stack & everitt which they converted.
Very good to see 2 youngters grab the game by the scruff off the neck when the game seemed all but lost.Its easy to play well when you are 6 goals up it different when you 6 goals down at 3 qtr time.
Great scenes between the both of them when Reid kicked the winner & again after the final siren.Stirring stuff!

bulldogtragic
27-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Yes, yes - I know he's your 'boy'. It wouldn't be right to claim him now

Anyway, I already have Boumann and Wood in my stable. :)
I have to make up for claiming Jesse Wells as the the great white hope...

Boumann was a good early catch from you too. I'll wait a little longer to see if you're on the money with Easton though.

Scorlibo
27-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great reports, any chance of a scoreline?:p

craigsahibee
27-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Addison had one of those hot and cold days. However it was his hard ball get close to full time that got it to Reid for the match winner put a lot of shine on his performance. That was a mighty effort.

That piece of play was brilliant. There were at least 2 other players between him and the ball and he just got there first and gave it off to Reid for the winning goal.

comrade
27-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Williamstown 2.4 5.6 6.8 13.12 (90)
Casey Scorpions 0.7 4.10 11.13 12.14 (86)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Little 4 Stack 3 Davies O'Keefe Everitt Reid Stretton Cordy
Casey Scorpions: Newton 3 Hughes 2 Zomer Stockdale Strauss Maric Dunn Matthews Valenti

BEST:
Williamstown: Callan Davies Addison Reid Gotch Everitt
Casey Scorpions: Bell Faulks Valenti Panozza Wheatley Bartram

dazb
27-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Not sure about that best player list.

strebla
27-06-2009, 10:17 PM
That piece of play was brilliant. There were at least 2 other players between him and the ball and he just got there first and gave it off to Reid for the winning goal.

I have only seen the last 15 minutes i will watch it during the week but DFA had no right to that footy but the way he charged after it was inspirational how hard is this man my favorite piece of play all year!!!!

Sockeye Salmon
28-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Except for that howling clanger in the last quarter, I thought Everitt was easily the best of the Bulldogs players. Callan was really good as well and he had that shocking howler in the 3rd too.

Grant's 2nd half was very good, his first half was ordinary.

Reid had a great 1st & last quarters but was unsighted in the 2nd & 3rd.

Roughead didn't really do a lot but he showed some glimpses, especially early, that he is going to be very good.

Stack was Stack only a little bit better. He still does some good stuff and then you don't see him for half an hour.

Newton gave Williams a bit of a touch up but Williams worked off him a bit too. I think Tom needs another run or two at Willi, Franklin next week would be asking too much.

Cordy was disappointing and barely got a touch.

Cameron Wight might have just about broken the record for clangers. He would have turned it over by foot 6 times. A couple of frees against and what was he thinking giving away a 50 on the boundary 55 metres out? Lets not even mention his fresh airy when he tried to kick the thing out of mid air while it was bouncing that directly cost a goal to Newton.

Remi Moses
28-06-2009, 03:17 AM
gutsy win from Willy.Real positives today from Sam Reid, Andrejs everitt and Dylan Addison. thought brennan Stack was impressive,also mightly impressed with Jordan Roughead. Negative had to be Cameron Wight who wont play senior footy for the dogs,much rather as stated by previous posters play Boumann please.
Very impressed with casey i'd reckon they give Melbourne a touch up at the minute.:eek:

Desipura
28-06-2009, 08:30 AM
The Coon Pup's cameo tv appearance at the 8.57 minute mark of the 2nd quarter was impressive!;)

The Coon Dog
28-06-2009, 09:47 AM
The Coon Pup's cameo tv appearance at the 8.57 minute mark of the 2nd quarter was impressive!;)

He said he thought he got his head on the TV.

azabob
28-06-2009, 10:25 AM
How much stick would X Gotch get from his teamates do you reckon? Being the coaches son and all.

Desipura
29-06-2009, 09:41 AM
A bit of a critical analysis, this is my view of the bulldog listed players:

Grant was in and out of the game, thought he had done a knee in the last qtr when he went down. Got up straight away when he realised the ball was in his vacinity. I believe it was right in front of where TCD was standing. It did not look good.

Cordy did very little, took a nice contested mark.

O'Keefe was good when he got it, did not get it enough though.

Roughy had a good 1st qtr especially, took a nice contested mark backing into a pack which was great to see. I also like the fact that when he went forward in the 1st, he took a mark on a lead. Won a fair few hitouts, will be a perfect replacement for Huddo when he retires with the added bonus of being able to pinch hit as a forward.

Callan was very courageous and very rarely turned it over, a good backup to have.

Stack looks classy, when the ball was not coming to our forward line, they pushed him to a half back line. Suggests to me that he has more than one string to his bow which will hold him in good stead in the future. Reads the play well,still only flashes in and out of games.

Everitt was good when he had no direct opponent, had a hand in helping Willi get over the line in the last qtr. Would like to see him played on a wing.
Williams is lacking match fitness and confidence. Would like him to play a Paul Roos type role for Willi where he plays loose and has a licence to go for his marks. This will help build his confidence IMHO.

Reid was very good with his inside work, kicked the match winning goal, his kicking overall though is very poor. I thought Hahn was inconsistent with his kicking especially under pressure. Reid is poor even under no pressure, he needs to rectify this if he is going to be a regular AFL player in the future.

Wight should be dropped, Boumann should be played for the rest of the season in the seniors to see if he has what it takes.

mighty_west
29-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Except for that howling clanger in the last quarter, I thought Everitt was easily the best of the Bulldogs players. Callan was really good as well and he had that shocking howler in the 3rd too.

Grant's 2nd half was very good, his first half was ordinary.

Reid had a great 1st & last quarters but was unsighted in the 2nd & 3rd.

Roughead didn't really do a lot but he showed some glimpses, especially early, that he is going to be very good.

Stack was Stack only a little bit better. He still does some good stuff and then you don't see him for half an hour.

Newton gave Williams a bit of a touch up but Williams worked off him a bit too. I think Tom needs another run or two at Willi, Franklin next week would be asking too much.

Cordy was disappointing and barely got a touch.

Cameron Wight might have just about broken the record for clangers. He would have turned it over by foot 6 times. A couple of frees against and what was he thinking giving away a 50 on the boundary 55 metres out? Lets not even mention his fresh airy when he tried to kick the thing out of mid air while it was bouncing that directly cost a goal to Newton.

That period of play was just disgusting, he should be dropped on that alone, was such a lazy effort, it's a shame, because he can present himself quite well at times, but silly turnover after turnover & brainsnaps just kill him.

Cyberdoggie
29-06-2009, 11:25 AM
That period of play was just disgusting, he should be dropped on that alone, was such a lazy effort, it's a shame, because he can present himself quite well at times, but silly turnover after turnover & brainsnaps just kill him.

It's amazing to see what has become of Wight.
A couple of years ago he was cutting it up at Werribee across half back. Playing very similarly to Ryan Hargrave with similar stats. These days he's a shadow of his former self.
His confidence is shattered and he looks to have given up.

comrade
29-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Is it time to bite the bullet with Cam and give him a run at Williamstown reserves?

Gotch is obviously reluctant to drop him for a younger player because he is being paid to win, but in my opinion a player like Boumann (or even Mulligan) will offer just as much as Wight (perhaps more) and will help to accelerate their development.

Isn’t that the essence of Gotch’s job anyway – to win at Willy and develop our guys at the same time?

dazb
29-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Agree with Everitt playing on the wing. Free him up a little so he can use his skills pinpointing long kicks into the f50 or kicking long goals on the run. (Much like his first season)

GVGjr
29-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Is it time to bite the bullet with Cam and give him a run at Williamstown reserves?

Gotch is obviously reluctant to drop him for a younger player because he is being paid to win, but in my opinion a player like Boumann (or even Mulligan) will offer just as much as Wight (perhaps more) and will help to accelerate their development.

Isn’t that the essence of Gotch’s job anyway – to win at Willy and develop our guys at the same time?

It would be a hard call to drop him on one performance. Prior to that he has been in decent touch. I'd suggest that if he gets dropped to the magoos based on one bad game he could end up following McDougalls lead and pull the pin early.

I'm not sure I agree with the logic about Gotch. Simply speaking he doesn't appear to promote players into the seniors unless they have earned it. Now that might be because he is in a contract year, the same as Eade, but I do think that his role of developing players is working far better than it was 12 months ago. I'd question how much development acceleration can be achieved if the player hasn't done the yards.
Boumann has done the yards but a promotion of Mulligan and or Shaw at the moment would just be a punt.

comrade
29-06-2009, 07:40 PM
It would be a hard call to drop him on one performance. Prior to that he has been in decent touch. I'd suggest that if he gets dropped to the magoos based on one bad game he could end up following McDougalls lead and pull the pin early.

It would be a hard call, I agree, but I think its more cumulative than that. His form has been decent as you say, but no better than that. And his game on the weekend was way below par for a guy who has been on the list for 4/5 years and fighting for his life.

I'm not sure I agree with the logic about Gotch. Simply speaking he doesn't appear to promote players into the seniors unless they have earned it. Now that might be because he is in a contract year, the same as Eade, but I do think that his role of developing players is working far better than it was 12 months ago. I'd question how much development acceleration can be achieved if the player hasn't done the yards.
Boumann has done the yards but a promotion of Mulligan and or Shaw at the moment would just be a punt.

Great point (I'm going to steal that one :))