PDA

View Full Version : Stack / Lynch vs Reid / O’Keefe…

Pedro Sanchez
23-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I think its interesting that Stack and Lynch seem to have an easier route to first team selection than O’Keefe and Reid. By this I mean that they seemed to get fast tracked into the seniors while the others seem to have to bang the door down with more consistent and tried performances in the twos.

I might be reading too much into it but the impression I have from reading Eade’s recent comments is that they believe Stack and Lynch have massive up sides – more X-factor – compared to Reid and O’Keefe who are maybe considered more of traditional type players.

What do others think, is there a certain set of rules for some players over others? Surely O’Keefe and Reid have performed more consistently over the past 2 years than Stack to warrant his debut a few weeks back…

Scorlibo
23-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Stack was thrown into the seniors because he is one year ahead of Reid and O'Keefe and the coaching staff wanted to reward him for stringing some form together at Willi - in the hope that it ignites his passion to play at the AFL level.

The Underdog
23-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Stack and Lynch do have a full season of development on Reid and O'Keefe. I also don't think that what you're saying is strictly true. Reid made his debut before Stack, Lynch made his in 2007 and hasn't even got close since for varying reasons and has spent a fair bit of time in the Willy two's this year. O'Keefe's form for Williamstown has dropped off recently despite a very strong start to the season and as a small forward he faces strong competition for a spot in the one's.
I think Stack might have been fast tracked a little due to what he can potentially bring to the side. Reid and O'Keefe's strengths are probably fairly well covered by the personnel already in the seniors. Stack's pace and ability to run through the lines are something we're a little short of at present. All of these guys are still young and developing and between them have played 4 games (2 of which were Lynch's in 07) so it's not like it's a huge disparity.

Pedro Sanchez
23-06-2009, 10:40 PM
That's a fair point - but on the flip side isn't it harsh to guys seemingly doing everything right in the twos to be leap-frogged on the proviso of ingniting a guys passion? Dont get me wrong as i am excited by the potential of both Stak and Lynch, just think its almost a set of different rules for Reid and O'Keefe.

Topdog
24-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Perhaps not a different set of rules but a different way to make them see what is required and to get them working harder.

boydogs
24-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Grant and Stack this year have been one game wonders who didn't look like they were ready, you get the sense it is more about developing a hunger amongst the group - the included player to get a taste and the others to react to being overlooked and go to another level also. Rodney's recent Q&A session on the Dog's Day forum includes rockets for Wight and Everitt and incisive comments on workrate, I get the sense he is disappointed overall with the pressure on the senior players to hold their spots and this is why he is not basing new inclusions solely on merit

Mantis
24-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I think Reid has been a bit unlucky not to have been given an opportunity as yet, but with our midfield performing well his chance just hasn't come yet. In saying that he has his limitations in that he is very much an inside player (he has some outside game) who is at home at the bottom of the pack. We have quite a few players performing this role in the senior team very well so he will have to wait for a drop in form or an injury to get his chance. He was impressive for Williamstown last week so hopefully his chance will come.

I have only seen O'Keefe a handful of times this year and I haven't been super impressed. On what I have seen I don't think his fitness is good enough as yet to run out even half a senior game. Hopefully we will get a taste at some point this year which will give us a better indication to where he is at.

Stack has the tools to become a very handy senior player, he is a powerful athelete and was given a game probably when he didn't really deserve it to give him a look at where he needs to get. I thought even on Saturday he had benefited from his senior game as he was keen to get amongst the action, whereas in the past he was happy to be a bit of a bystander.

Lynch, who knows, he has some talent, but has't been on the park long enough to show it. He has a big couple of months ahead of him if he wants to continue his AFL career at the Bulldogs, but it is suggested that he will be given every opportunity and in the end it will be up to him.

Mofra
24-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Stack appeared to be a more "developmental" debut - his game at Williamstown after his debut was 100% better than his game prior to his debut IMO. I think he is set for a big pre-season & the debut will pay off in the long term.

Reid was my BOG of the Bulldogs listed players last week & has really developed well from what I've seen. He appears AFL ready, and I know some have questioned his disposal but I thought it was good last week. The only issue is what does he bring to the side we don't already have? He is very strong over the ball but in terms of inside midfielders, Boyd has stepped up, Cross gets plenty of it, Ward has lifted in the past month, Cooney & Griffen are playing inside & out this year & Eagle's tackle count seems to be much higher as well, not forgetting Gia's work in close.
Reid could step in the side tomorrow if need be & acquit himself well, but pushing one of those guys out will be the hard part.

O'Keefe is in the same boat, in terms of not having a great deal of pace so not offering something new. A few here (who would probably know better than me) have mentioned his fitness issues, however it's harder to tell at Willy when a guy is smart enough to constantly run to the right areas - it's less noticeable. At one point last week he looked like he was running in concrete, could have just been the conditions.

Lynch? I haven't the foggiest. He is the quickest on our list though but I haven't seen him this year (for the record I'd be surprised if Boumann isn't in our quickest handful - the guy's a jet, which is astonishing for his height).

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Maybe they aren't going to play Reid because they know he is headed Gold Coast's way :p

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Maybe they aren't going to play Reid because they know he is headed Gold Coast's way :p

Then they should give him more games to increase his value when the AFL decide what draft pick we get for him.

Sedat
24-06-2009, 04:48 PM
He's actually from the Sunshine Coast. Still a concern that he might be lured back home (more so because he is a talented player getting very little game time thus far), but home is 250 kms away from Carrara.

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 05:02 PM
IMO O'keefe and Reid if not ready, both only weigh in at 77KG. For their height they should gain atleast
another 8 plus KG.
They will be pushed around and beaten up in AFL.

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry people.

Thats 77KG each and gain 8 Plus KG each. LOL

Mofra
24-06-2009, 05:19 PM
IMO O'keefe and Reid if not ready, both only weigh in at 77KG. For their height they should gain atleast
Are you reading old stats? Reid is a big boy, and he did't get pushed around much round 22 last year.

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Yes, from the Herald Sun play profile.

bornadog
24-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Yes, from the Herald Sun play profile.

Well if you see him close up, he has massive shoulders and he has bulked up. O'Keefe is no slouch either, very solid.

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Thats good to hear, thanks for the up date as I have not gone to any of the VFL games this year.

comrade
24-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Well if you see him close up, he has massive shoulders and he has bulked up. O'Keefe is no slouch either, very solid.

Yep, there is no way either of them are 77kg.

Mofra
25-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Yep, there is no way either of them are 77kg.
Reid is quite scary to be honest. Maybe not quite in the thighs, but Sammy could end up close to Hahn's weight in a few years. He'll look like Kouta by the time he's in our regular 22.