PDA

View Full Version : Training - today (24th June)

bornadog
24-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Popped down to training today at 11 am to watch the boys go through their paces.

The only player that was missing was Tiller, didn't see him anywhere. Before the boys ran out, Murphy and Higgins did some running up and down the ground and some stretching.

The players did some tackling drills and ball drills before starting a scratch match. Most players were involved with the exception of Cordy, Wood, Ogle, Daniels and Jones (could have missed one). The match started at fullback with Harbrow kicking out. Some of the highlights were, Higgins one on one with DFA and beating him easily, Boumanns movement in the forward line, Murphy moving beautifully, the pace of Lynch and Stack, Grants confidence and movement was great as well. The only downside was Gilbee injuring his ankle ( from a distance I thought it was Welsh, but the injury report says Gilbee). Mulligan also looked really good running down the ground and passing the ball into the forward line.

The players then broke up into different groups, with Gotch handling all the Willi boys. Interesting Williams and Tim Callan were with the main group, Reid may also have been in the main squad. It was good to see O'Shea and Wood in the mix, tackling , running and generally participating in the drills.

Also caught up with ES's dad Mario, and saw one Ben Hudson TShirt, but didn't recognize him.

Feel free to ask any questions as I do tend to forget things when I am writing up a report.

Scorlibo
24-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks BAD, do you know who the primary goal kickers were?

bornadog
24-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks BAD, do you know who the primary goal kickers were?

It was at most a 20 minute match. Welsh and Johnno one end, Lynch kicked one, Hill, sorry can't remember the others.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2009, 04:22 PM
saw one Ben Hudson TShirt, but didn't recognize him.

That would have been Scraggers.

comrade
24-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the report Bornadog.

What role did Everitt play in the scratch match – key defensive or flank?

If Gilbee doesn’t get up, our rebound from half back is really going to be restriced – surely Andrejs’ name has to be in the mix as he can play that running role and match up on one of North’s talls (other than Petrie or Hale).

Also, great to hear Wood is back. He’s got the tools to become a very good player and a work rate to match.

bornadog
24-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the report Bornadog.

What role did Everitt play in the scratch match – key defensive or flank? .

Played mainly on the flank. It was hard to tell as there must have been over 30 plus players on the ground.

bornadog
24-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Forgot to mention, one of the guys taking training today was Wayne SCHWASS. I didn't know he joined us?

Also Chris Anstey was on the ground watching the boys, at 213cm, couldn't miss him

Twodogs
24-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Forgot to mention, one of the guys taking training today was Wayne SCHWASS. I didn't know he joined us?

Also Chris Anstey was on the ground watching the boys, at 213cm, couldn't miss him

I think Rocket and Wayne Scwhass are good mates.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2009, 05:16 PM

A late basketball convert to AFL? :)

Axe Man
24-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I never knew Anstey followed the dogs. I saw him at a game once, now I know why he was there.

LostDoggy
24-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I saw him at K-Mart at Altona Gate once. Does he live in the Western Suburbs?

Scorlibo
24-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I saw him at K-Mart at Altona Gate once. Does he live in the Western Suburbs?

Some of his family do, my grandparents are friends with them.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I never knew Anstey followed the dogs. I saw him at a game once, now I know why he was there.

From this article:

Bruton signs with Russian club (http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/bruton-signs-with-russian-club/2005/08/23/1124562864543.html)

Other members of Melbourne's first 10 were given an insight into how an elite club copes with change when Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade spoke to them and new coaches Alan Westover and Warrick Giddey yesterday.

Anstey, a Bulldogs fan, netted Eade to speak, to help Melbourne deal with life AG, as in after Gaze (Andrew and Lindsay), and without Mark Bradtke and Lanard Copeland.

LostDoggy
25-06-2009, 04:07 PM
From this article:

Bruton signs with Russian club (http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/bruton-signs-with-russian-club/2005/08/23/1124562864543.html)

Other members of Melbourne's first 10 were given an insight into how an elite club copes with change when Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade spoke to them and new coaches Alan Westover and Warrick Giddey yesterday.

Anstey, a Bulldogs fan, netted Eade to speak, to help Melbourne deal with life AG, as in after Gaze (Andrew and Lindsay), and without Mark Bradtke and Lanard Copeland.

Nick Bruton?

The Pie Man
25-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Nick Bruton?

Might have been referring to CJ from the NBL

LostDoggy
25-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Might have been referring to CJ from the NBL

Not Cal then:)

Thanks for the training update btw.

Scraggers
01-07-2009, 03:43 AM
That would have been Scraggers.

Yup ... it was me !! I even got the bearded-one to sign my shirt :D

Bornadog has done a great job describing training ... so not much more to add, but here goes ...

The tackling drills were 'no holds barred' full contact ... Johnno copped a corky early on and got called out by Rocket to see how bad ... Johnno sat out for two or three rotations but was straight back into it.

Gilbee's injury didn't look all that bad (obvious with 20-20 hindsight really... he played okay), but the medical staff and trainers were taking no precautions

The mini game has a huge focus on set plays ... most players were very vocal about being in the correct position for kick outs or ball-ups. In saying all that, the 'play on at all cost' approach was very evident in all drills and game scenarios.

Josh Hill and Shaun Higgins were stand outs for me

After training the boys had some pot-shots from the boundary ... two things ...
1. Johnno still can't kick a banana and
2. one of the young guns (name escapes me ... I was standing with FDOTM at the time, he may be able to help) kicked a pearler of a banana from behind the line of the goal posts

AS the boys meandered off the ground into the new training facilities, I hit most of them up for an autograph ... as I have already mentioned I got Ben Hudson to sign the BHBAS t-shirt ... I had a good conversation with Bobby Murphy as he signed my hat he told me he loved the shirt, I told him that I had heard he had ordered one ... he confirmed this and told me he can't wait to get it

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/Scraggers/th_IMG_3001.jpg

Aker actually approached me to give me an autograph (I didn't have to chase which was good) he also acknowledged the BHBAS shirt stating "it's gold man, pure gold" ... you couldn't wipe the smile off my face :D

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/Scraggers/th_IMG_3006.jpg

One last thing ... Roughead looks a good sought ... and Cordy is bloody tall ... he made Anstey look normal in stature

The Coon Dog
01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Nice report Scraggers, but did you forget something? Did someone show you something?

Scraggers
01-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Nice report Scraggers, but did you forget something? Did someone show you something?

Will start a new thread today for the whole week :D