13 - Robert Murphy - 156
32 - Daniel Giansiracisa - 162
35 - Patrick Wiggins - 12
37 - Mitch Hahn - 149
43 - Lindsay Gilbee - 152
58 - Patrick Bowden - 50
66 - Ryan Hargrave - 151

832 games

Both clubs had 7 picks & of the 14 half of them will have completed 150 games or more (on Sunday).

Geelong blew a few of their earlier ones, but did well with their later picks.

Whichever way you look at it, it was a bloody good draft with a fair bit of depth. Both clubs would be happy with what they still have from that draft.

AndrewP6
25-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I reckon we're just ahead...but I may be biased.

craigsahibee
25-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Super group of players there. Really can't split them. Considering Geelong's last pick of 7 was at 47 and ours was 66, maybe we are just ahead.

boydogs
25-06-2009, 01:10 AM
WB infront easily. Add up the draft pick numbers - Geel 189 WB 284, we had much later picks and have gotten more games out of them

strebla
25-06-2009, 01:31 AM
On a ranking system we win easily but the Cats have done nearly as well both clubs would be quite happy.

soupman
25-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Does it really matter who did better? And if it did how do you determine it? Games played, games won, key roles played, winning goals kicked etc? Overall its just an impressive effort for both clubs, with both clubs picking up some pretty good and now important players.

Bulldog Revolution
25-06-2009, 09:59 AM
ACL injuries:

WB 4
Murphy
Hahn
Wiggins
Giansiracusa

GEEL 2
Spriggs x 2

Mantis
25-06-2009, 10:39 AM
The fact that we drafted Patrick Wiggins amongst our lot tips the balance in Geelong's favour.;)

Seriously we drafted 5 x 150 game players out of 7 picks which is a damn fine achievement.

Twodogs
25-06-2009, 10:52 AM
The fact that we drafted Patrick Wiggins amongst our lot tips the balance in Geelong's favour.;)

Seriously we drafted 5 x 150 game players out of 7 picks which is a damn fine achievement.

The premiership they won with those guys also puts them in front.

Sedat
25-06-2009, 10:56 AM
It's such a superficial argument, but the wider football community will only see which group has won more premierships and pass judgement accordingly. I personally believe we have done slightly better but both clubs would have to be stoked with the high quality and longevity of their respective drafted talent in 1999.

Geelong's post-season trading in that period has to be seen to be believed. They off-loaded Steve O'Reilly and Michael Mansfield to Carlton for the combined picks of 15, 31 and 47, and secured Spriggs, Chapman and Enright into the bargain - that is a reaming of monumental proportions. Not to mention the flow-on benefit of Carlton losing a multitude of picks and a million in fines as a result of O'Reilly's testimonial in the salary cap cheating saga, all of which has rendered a once powerful club a basket case for a full decade.

Mofra
25-06-2009, 03:02 PM
On a simple numbers game, 5 are in our best 22, 4 are in Geelong's.

Yes Geelong are ahead in Premiership terms.... so far ;)

Remi Moses
25-06-2009, 06:19 PM
What an incredible deep draft. Looking back losing Colbert and picking up subsequent draft picks was ablessing for the Catters.

Remi Moses
25-06-2009, 06:20 PM
It's such a superficial argument, but the wider football community will only see which group has won more premierships and pass judgement accordingly. I personally believe we have done slightly better but both clubs would have to be stoked with the high quality and longevity of their respective drafted talent in 1999.

Geelong's post-season trading in that period has to be seen to be believed. They off-loaded Steve O'Reilly and Michael Mansfield to Carlton for the combined picks of 15, 31 and 47, and secured Spriggs, Chapman and Enright into the bargain - that is a reaming of monumental proportions. Not to mention the flow-on benefit of Carlton losing a multitude of picks and a million in fines as a result of O'Reilly's testimonial in the salary cap cheating saga, all of which has rendered a once powerful club a basket case for a full decade.

Getting Mooney for Colbert was handy also

The Pie Man
26-06-2009, 02:39 PM
This is a great topic

13 - Robert Murphy - 156
32 - Daniel Giansiracisa - 162
35 - Patrick Wiggins - 12
37 - Mitch Hahn - 149
43 - Lindsay Gilbee - 152
58 - Patrick Bowden - 50
66 - Ryan Hargrave - 151

With hindsight, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, here's my observations

- all respect to Mitch Hahn, who we all love dearly, but how did Gilbee's skills slide to 43 after Mitch was picked? I can understand why Wiggins was picked before him being a potential quality tall, but wow what a bargain.

- also on the bargain side, Gia at 32 & Hargrave at 66

Great job from both clubs converting the majority of their choices in this draft into senior footballers of note.

* footnote - Mitch Hahn also good value at 37, probably about right.

Mantis
26-06-2009, 02:46 PM

It must be said that we traded Leon Cameron to Richmond and in return received picks 37 & 66, we used those picks well. Although Leon played some good footy at Richmond we were the big winners from that trade.

Sedat
26-06-2009, 04:03 PM
It must be said that we traded Leon Cameron to Richmond and in return received picks 37 & 66, we used those picks well. Although Leon played some good footy at Richmond we were the big winners from that trade.
Whilst the outcome for us was fantastic (and arguably as good as Geelong's), the actual value of picks we received in exchange for Cameron were comparable to his worth at the time. Carlton gave up their first 3 picks for two footballers, one of which was washed up when traded and the other was a key defender with an injury history and obvious limitations as a player. Of course, "we don't rebuild at Caaaaaaaaaaaarlton"

bulldogtragic
26-06-2009, 10:45 PM
And if only 'The Tin Man' ( AKA Bowden ) had a heart. No doubt he has talent, but he will go down as a complete waste of talent and the clubs time. Shame.

LostDoggy
26-06-2009, 11:02 PM
ACL injuries:

WB 4
Murphy
Hahn
Wiggins
Giansiracusa

GEEL 2
Spriggs x 2

This is the compelling post for me. Spriggs was a decent player but losing him does not compare to losing the names on our list. Murphy could have been anything.

macca
27-06-2009, 01:03 AM
spriggs was terribly unlucky. He went to Swans with pick 37 in 2004, but I cannot remember if geelong got anything for him. Got injured a few times, and then happened to be contesting in the midfield in 2005 , premiership year , and got delisted in end of 2006. Just terribly unlucky.

mighty_west
27-06-2009, 09:52 PM
spriggs was terribly unlucky. He went to Swans with pick 37 in 2004, but I cannot remember if geelong got anything for him. Got injured a few times, and then happened to be contesting in the midfield in 2005 , premiership year , and got delisted in end of 2006. Just terribly unlucky.

Yeah Spriggs early on was probably the pick of the Geelong bunch, but like you said, injuries cruelled him, he was shot by the time he went to the Swannies.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I think Geelong has us just only because they've had more all australian players