PDA

View Full Version : Grant shoots for more goals

bornadog
24-06-2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/79320/default.aspx

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/grant_yp_a.jpg
By Jennifer Witham
6:08 PM Wed 24 June, 2009

Jarrad Grant had a harrowing introduction to AFL football

WHILE the Bulldogs picked up the pieces from their round-five loss to Carlton, debutant Jarrad Grant was battling both mind and body after an inglorious first game.

The No.5 draft pick from 2007 wasn't able to properly rehash what he just experienced on the big stage, as he came down with gastro directly after the match.

Grant said the illness, coupled with the realisation he was a lot further away from AFL standard than he originally thought, made for a tough few days.

"I didn't train all week after that so I was a bit down in the dumps. I felt alright during the game but the work rate was a lot bigger," he told westernbulldogs.com.au.

"It was just so different to the VFL standard.

"It was good to get the taste and understand what's required and where you need to improve, but obviously I've got a long way to go before I can stake my claims on the big time."

There has been speculation the young forward was blooded too soon after a long 2008 battle with osteitis pubis, and that he lost what confidence he had in his eight-possession debut.

But Grant sees it differently and says he wouldn't take the opportunity back.

"It was good to get in there and just realise what's expected," he said.

"Once you get that chance, you're able to see first hand what's expected and how to play the game at that level.

"It's good experience and one I won't forget, and hopefully there will be a few more."

The 20-year-old admitted he was somewhat surprised at the difference between NAB Cup football and the home-and-away season after showing positive form in the pre-season.

"In the pre-season, it was only the first game so prior to that, everyone just had a practice match against each other," he said.

"Round five was a step up from the pre-season because there were four points at stake."

Grant admits his recent form at Williamstown hasn't been great, having only kicked five goals across the past four games.

However, he believes the recent split round has enabled his body to freshen up and his mind as well, with the young Dog resetting his goals for the second half of the year.

"I don't really know why I've dropped off. It's a long year and I only played about six games last year, so realistically, I've made it further than I did last year," he said.

"The body feels alright but I've just got some inconsistency.

"I just wasn't getting much of the ball and having an involvement in the team, and we had a couple of losses as well so that didn't help the cause.

"I need to get better with my work-rate and the physical side of my game. I'm probably not going to have much of a stamp on the AFL with my body the way it is at the moment.

"I've just got to keep working on that through pre-seasons with hard work in the gym, and my time will hopefully come soon."

Grant said his housemate and fellow 2007 draftee Sam Reid was inching closer to his own debut after a spate of impressive games in the VFL.

"Sam is playing well, and with the Bulldogs winning it's tough to get in, but he's on the verge as he's playing well every week down at Willy," he said.

He also hasn't given up on his own hopes of making another senior appearance this year.

"As long as I play some good footy down at Willy," he said.

"Hopefully the coaches will give me another chance, but I've got to play well myself to put my hand up for selection."

for westernbulldogs.com.au

comrade
24-06-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/79320/default.aspx

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/grant_yp_a.jpg

"It's good experience and one I won't forget, and hopefully there will be a few more."

There will be more, plenty more.

Good to hear that he knows where he's at and what's required. Hopefully the pressure of being a top 5 pick at a club devoid of quality tall forwards has eased now that he knows he's not under the pump to have a massive influence this year.

He can know focus on performing his job at Willy, then working his butt off over the pre-season. I want to see muscle, Granty!

Mantis
25-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Not sure if to take that article with a grain of salt or not.

It all sounds really positive, but is he just sprouting what we want to hear or does he really mean it?

If he does mean it I guess we will some improvement over the past couple of months, but more so at the start of the 2010 season.

Hope he means it because he looks to have some tricks and I would love to see a bigger, stronger and fitter no.1 leading from the square come rd1 next year.

GVGjr
25-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Not sure if to take that article with a grain of salt or not.

It all sounds really positive, but is he just sprouting what we want to hear or does he really mean it?

If he does mean it I guess we will some improvement over the past couple of months, but more so at the start of the 2010 season.

Hope he means it because he looks to have some tricks and I would love to see a bigger, stronger and fitter no.1 leading from the square come rd1 next year.

Pretty much agree with this but to me Grants inconsistency is largely fitness related. Whilst guys like Robert Harvey looked spent for the majority of games only to push themselves with another gut running effort, Grant hasn't the physical maturity or the miles in the legs to work through his lack of fitness yet.

A full uninterrupted pre-season leading into the 2010 season will be a good gauge of what he might be capable of.

Cyberdoggie
25-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Pretty much agree with this but to me Grants inconsistency is largely fitness related. Whilst guys like Robert Harvey looked spent for the majority of games only to push themselves with another gut running effort, Grant hasn't the physical maturity or the miles in the legs to work through his lack of fitness yet.

A full uninterrupted pre-season leading into the 2010 season will be a good gauge of what he might be capable of.

I agree his fitness isn't up to scratch.
However it's odd that he fades in and out the way he does.
There will be times where he runs hard lays some hard tackles and is involved, then he'll switch off and walk around for the rest of the quarter. The issue i have is that this is totally random. He may start the quarter off walking then he wakes up.

I really hope he works it out.

They also need to correct his walking/running action.

Mofra
25-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Given his development he's barely a draftee in timeframe. I still get the feeling the kid puts too much pressure on himself.

G-Mo77
25-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Given his development he's barely a draftee in timeframe. I still get the feeling the kid puts too much pressure on himself.

I think it would be pretty hard not to. The club has stated it doesn't have a KPF and would like to get one, he was taken at #5 and labeled our forward of the future. It's pretty understandable if he does.

The problem with Grant was always going to be living up to expectations which were set unreasonably high.

azabob
25-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Poor Sam Reid, cause his debut was in Adelaide no one remembers it!!

Go_Dogs
26-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Poor Sam Reid, cause his debut was in Adelaide no one remembers it!!

I was there and can confirm that he has debuted!

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 08:02 AM
The thing that concerns me with Grant is not so much his fitness at this stage as that can be rectified with some hard yards on the track, it's his body language and attitude! The dropping of the head and the no emotion way he goe's about it!:confused: Thoughts!

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2009, 05:31 PM
The thing that concerns me with Grant is not so much his fitness at this stage as that can be rectified with some hard yards on the track, it's his body language and attitude! The dropping of the head and the no emotion way he goe's about it!:confused: Thoughts!

Not too out of the ordinary for a very young KPF.

They need confidence in their body. At lower levels and against players their own age, they are able to monster them and/or jump over the top. In the AFL - it's a completely different kettle of fish.

There's less space, there's zoning, the game intensifies, the quality of players (obviously) goes up ten fold and of course most of his opponents - if not all - are much stronger and fitter.

It usually takes 3-5 seasons before a KPF can begin to gain the strength and fitness required to feel confident at the elite level. Until then, he's going to be sporadic and that includes his attitude.

I wouldn't be too worried.