PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins next CAPTAIN

LostDoggy
27-06-2009, 07:12 AM
FORMER Western Bulldog Rohan Smith has raised eyebrows by announcing Shaun Higgins as a top-five player in the competition. And here's another line that might shock you: Higgins could very well be the next captain of the Dogs, too.

Higgins, still only 21, has this year emerged as a serious contender to replace Brad Johnson.

The outside world has watched the midfielder blossom as a genuine star, but Higgins has made just as much progress inside the walls of Whitten Oval as an A-grade leader.

Scott West, who passed his No. 7 jumper down to Higgins, yesterday declared: "He's certainly got captain written all over him."

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade this week said he viewed Higgins as a "future leader" of the club.

That means he will be skipper one day. But that "one day" might arrive sooner rather than later. And it is another reason why the signature of Higgins, out of contract at the end of the season, is so important.

If you were framing a market right now on the captaincy post-Brad Johnson, four players would be on the top line: Daniel Giansiracusa, Robert Murphy, Matthew Boyd and the bolter Higgins.

Daniel Cross and Dale Morris would probably be on the next line.

Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and his explosive midfield mate Ryan Griffen are not in the mix for senior leadership roles at this stage.

So Higgins, with only 42 games to his name, has leapfrogged several contemporaries to be staring down a place in history.

Gary Dempsey is the youngest Bulldogs captain, making his debut in the role at the age of 22 and four months in 1971. Ted Whitten won the role at the age of 23 in 1957.

Much hinges on the intentions of the evergreen Johnson, who has held the job since 2005.

No final call has been made on Johnson for next year, but he is not looking like a man ready to finish up.

So expect him to play on - particularly given Jason Akermanis is likely to retire and the Dogs would surely prefer to stagger the Johnson/Akermanis departures.

Under that scenario, Johnson would hold on to the captaincy next year.

That is ideal for Higgins, who by the end of next season will be banging the door down if he continues to develop at the same rate.

If Johnson goes unexpectedly at the end of this season, the Dogs would probably go with either of the experienced and respected duo Giansiracusa and Murphy. Boyd would not be far behind.

But asked if age 22 or 23 was too young for Higgins to be handed the responsibility, West said date of birth should not be an issue.

"I don't think you put an age limit on anything," West said. "If Shaun has the respect of the group, and I know he has, it doesn't matter.

"If Johnno goes on next year, he is captain. After that, guys like 'Gia' and 'Murph' are a year older, although they deserve a chance because they have been in the leadership group for a long time.

"Do they go with a captain at, say, 28 or go with a 23-year-old who is going to bring that young group through with him?"

That question may not be answered for another 18 months. But Higgins is well placed to join Dempsey and Whitten in the captaincy pup club.

What is everyone's s thoughs on this?

LostDoggy
27-06-2009, 09:55 AM
He certainly would be an inspiring captain and that would keep him at the dogs for a long time.

For this to happen, I would like to see Johno go on next year as captain and for Higgins to have an injury free 2010.

Otherwise Matty Boyd.

AndrewP6
27-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd say no to a 22/23 year old captain when there are other senior players that would be good in the job. Too young for my liking. Unless the others wouldn't cut it, which doesn't say much for the "leaders".

So, for mine, Johnno to stay if he plays again, and the next one to be Boyd, Gia or Murph.

Dancin' Douggy
27-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I think on field Shaun Higgins plays like a captain. He kicks the goals he needs to kick. He wins the contests he needs to win. And he just clocks on like a machine and performs. Consistency is a very important trait in my opinion for a captain. He's hard as nails although he looks like a member of a boy band and he's smooth as silk with his skills. Strong overhead and not afraid to take responsibility when the game is red hot and up for grabs.
So why not?
I'd have him as captain even though it may seem unfair to some more senior players.

1eyedog
27-06-2009, 08:02 PM
He loves the dogs. He is so exuberant and parties hard with fists clenched when he nails one. He'll be here forever. Heed the wise words of West, sign him up and give him the badge asap.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I would love Johno o have one more year if he can maintain the current levels and also to have Higgins as VC under him to have it handed over the next year.

I feel for Boyd out of the list and would make him the VC under Higgins.

AndrewP6
27-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I think on field Shaun Higgins plays like a captain. He kicks the goals he needs to kick. He wins the contests he needs to win. And he just clocks on like a machine and performs. Consistency is a very important trait in my opinion for a captain. He's hard as nails although he looks like a member of a boy band and he's smooth as silk with his skills. Strong overhead and not afraid to take responsibility when the game is red hot and up for grabs.
So why not?
I'd have him as captain even though it may seem unfair to some more senior players.

Just the reason I wouldn't...yet.

BulldogBelle
28-06-2009, 12:07 AM
They have been talking about Higgins as a future captain for a few years now. Nothing new.

Age does have a bearing, but if he's got what it takes, then why not use it.
After all there have been many great young leaders throughout history.
Alexander the Great was leading armies to war at age 16 (mind you he was the King's son so he did have a bit of a leg up).

Higgins has CHARISMA.

Seems to be a nautral leader. Would be timely for Johnno to relinquish the captaincy to Higgo next year.

Best deal for the Bullies is Higgins for captain next year.

wimberga
28-06-2009, 12:49 AM
If it means keeping him at the dogs, DO IT

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 01:01 AM
My only concern if Higgins gets the gig are
Cooney and Griffen are also future chapions
and don't forget the current leadership group.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 01:10 AM
My only concern if Higgins gets the gig are
Cooney and Griffen are also future chapions
and don't forget the current leadership group.

That's right... imagine how you'd feel if the new bloke in the office leapfrogged others for a management role...I'd be peeved personally... IMO you have to earn your stripes, and even with his impressive start to his career, Higgins isn't quite there yet..

azabob
28-06-2009, 09:55 AM
That's right... imagine how you'd feel if the new bloke in the office leapfrogged others for a management role...I'd be peeved personally... IMO you have to earn your stripes, and even with his impressive start to his career, Higgins isn't quite there yet..

I understand where you are coming from but you don't know how Higgins acts and is percieved by the playing group and coaching staff inside the club.
Each time he has stepped out onto the football field there has been no doubting his footballing ability at all. Only injuries have held him back from reaching this type of form.
I have no problems with him being the next captain especially if Johnson is captain again next year.
If we had've got Chris Judd to our club and Johnson retired you wouldn't give him the captaincy because he's the new guy at the club?
You give the job to the best person for the job regardless of seniority.

boydogs
28-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I understand where you are coming from but you don't know how Higgins acts and is percieved by the playing group and coaching staff inside the club.
Each time he has stepped out onto the football field there has been no doubting his footballing ability at all. Only injuries have held him back from reaching this type of form.
I have no problems with him being the next captain especially if Johnson is captain again next year.
If we had've got Chris Judd to our club and Johnson retired you wouldn't give him the captaincy because he's the new guy at the club?

I have a real problem with giving the captaincy to someone new to a club and would not have given it to Judd if he came to us. The best person for the job for mine is the one with the most experience, relationship with the players and knowledge of the club not just the flashy media types or those with leadership qualities. If you take those 5 factors, Judd would have maybe 3 (experience, media, & leadership), Higgins maybe 2 (media & leadership), Boyd 4 (experience, relationship, knowledge, leadership), Murphy all 5

You could go further into rating each player in each area, weighting certain areas over others (e.g. media is important to give our club a profile) etc., however this gives a starting point in looking at what each player has to offer and shows why Higgins would not be a front runner for mine UNLESS this becomes a factor in keeping Higgins away from GC17

jazzadogs
28-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a real problem with giving the captaincy to someone new to a club and would not have given it to Judd if he came to us. The best person for the job for mine is the one with the most experience, relationship with the players and knowledge of the club not just the flashy media types or those with leadership qualities. If you take those 5 factors, Judd would have maybe 3 (experience, media, & leadership), Higgins maybe 2 (media & leadership), Boyd 4 (experience, relationship, knowledge, leadership), Murphy all 5

You could go further into rating each player in each area, weighting certain areas over others (e.g. media is important to give our club a profile) etc., however this gives a starting point in looking at what each player has to offer and shows why Higgins would not be a front runner for mine UNLESS this becomes a factor in keeping Higgins away from GC17
How do you know that Higgins doesn't have a good relationship with the players, or knowledge of the club? Westy says he has the respect of the players, that says to me they have a good relationship.
And he hasn't really done much media work, so you're pretty much basing that on the fact that he looks nice.

I think that the way the player is perceived by those within the club is more important than anything else. Not many outsiders would have picked Tom Harley as captain of the Cats, but he's proven to be magnificent. The debate over our next captain is going to continue until the day it is announced.

Also, to say that it shouldnt be given to him because of all those factors, but then saying if it keeps him at the club it's okay, seems a little hypocritical. You make it sound as though the best person should be given the job no matter what, but then contradict it all by saying that doesn't matter if it means he stays a Dog.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Are Cooney and Griffen both in the leadership group this year?

Mantis
28-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Are Cooney and Griffen both in the leadership group this year?

No.

IIRC the leadership group contains Johnson, Boyd, Morris, Gia, Murf & Higgins.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2009, 01:29 PM
No.

Hmm interesting. Cooney did used to be in it a year or two ago, and I believe I read the same thing about Griff.

Still, not a bad leadership group by any means. Higgins must be very impressive around the club to be grouped with those other guys.

boydogs
28-06-2009, 02:09 PM
How do you know that Higgins doesn't have a good relationship with the players, or knowledge of the club? Westy says he has the respect of the players, that says to me they have a good relationship.

I am making an assumption that based on the amount of time he has been at the club he does not know the players or the club as well as the other candidates I mentioned. I know that to be true in my own workplace, uni grads and recruits from other companies are not the best placed to be the decision makers. I would hope that every WB player has the respect of his peers and agree with Westy he is a potential future captain, just maybe not the best candidate right now

And he hasn't really done much media work, so you're pretty much basing that on the fact that he looks nice.

Its also about media profile, being a face of the club. You hear more about Higgins than Boyd/Cross/Morris. The article in the opening post being about him supports this

I think that the way the player is perceived by those within the club is more important than anything else. Not many outsiders would have picked Tom Harley as captain of the Cats, but he's proven to be magnificent. The debate over our next captain is going to continue until the day it is announced.

Agree. But I will say that the way a player is perceived by others at the club would be influenced by the player's experience

Also, to say that it shouldnt be given to him because of all those factors, but then saying if it keeps him at the club it's okay, seems a little hypocritical. You make it sound as though the best person should be given the job no matter what, but then contradict it all by saying that doesn't matter if it means he stays a Dog.

Our best captain would take attributes from different players - Boyd's workrate, Murph's media, Johnno's experience - so it becomes a matter of picking the best overall candidate to match the club's requirements. I think if it helps keep him at the club then that has to be a factor in the decision making, but maybe not enough to get him over the line if he is not close anyway

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Fully Agree He certainly is captain material if Johnson goes on next year you give it to him after the 2010 season

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Some of his lairising today shat me to tears. Very talented and captain material. But needs to be all the solid things and not just go for the flashy things. But a steal at pick 11 he was.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 08:22 PM

No, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't give it to Judd. I'd give it to someone there who I knew had the capability - not just someone who flew in at the last moment. Using your own argument, I wouldn't know how he fitted in at the previous club, if I wasn't there. He could be a wrong fit for our group. Let him show his true colours, earn his stripes with US, then maybe consider him for the top job.
No I don't know how he's perceived by those within the club...it's just my opinion.

chef
28-06-2009, 09:09 PM
No.

Wasn't Hudson added to the leadership group this year?

bornadog
28-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Wasn't Hudson added to the leadership group this year?

yes he was.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 09:29 PM
yes he was.

Do they include the beard as well as the player? :)

Mantis
28-06-2009, 09:32 PM
yes he was.

Are you sure?

He wasn't listed in the article in the Bulldogs magazine at the start of the season as part of the leadership group.

The Coon Dog
28-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Are you sure?

He wasn't listed in the article in the Bulldogs magazine at the start of the season as part of the leadership group.

Pretty sure Huddo got added to the leadership group.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Pretty sure Huddo got added to the leadership group.

yeah, wasn't there a story on it in the 2nd quarter magazine?

BulldogBelle
28-06-2009, 10:01 PM
If Higgo leaves the club because he isnt made captain then we seriously dont want him

If he has the respect of the playing group then he should be considered for captain

Johnno played great footy against North today, but next season I think in his twilight it might be better for him to relinquish the captaincy in a similar transition that Chris Grant did in his twilight

The obvious candidates for captain are Higgins, Boyd, Cross and Gia...

Boyd would be a fantastic role model for the players coming through, if he speaks well enough, and has the respect of all of the players and staff, keeps up his maniac training habits then he has my vote...his rags to riches story from Franskton VFL to the AFL is also a winner.

Desipura
29-06-2009, 10:11 AM
If Higgo leaves the club because he isnt made captain then we seriously dont want him

If he has the respect of the playing group then he should be considered for captain

Johnno played great footy against North today, but next season I think in his twilight it might be better for him to relinquish the captaincy in a similar transition that Chris Grant did in his twilight

The obvious candidates for captain are Higgins, Boyd, Cross and Gia...

Boyd would be a fantastic role model for the players coming through, if he speaks well enough, and has the respect of all of the players and staff, keeps up his maniac training habits then he has my vote...his rags to riches story from Franskton VFL to the AFL is also a winner.
Johnno was great against North did you say??????

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Johnno was great against North did you say??????

Yes he did

And that's a very accurate view too

Desipura
29-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes he did

And that's a very accurate view too
And that is your view, does not mean it is accurate

easybeat
29-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I think the guy is gonna be a god damn superstar regadless of being made captian or not.

I'm just worried about the reaction he got yesterday from his team mates after kicking a vital goal in the second quarter, no one accept Aka came up to give him a bit of love. No one even looked at him. And it lokked like he didn't excepct anyone to.
I hope I'm wrong, but maybe Scott Clayton's already got to him.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 11:53 AM
And that is your view, does not mean it is accurate

Go and have a look at the votes for the Woof Player Award and see how far you are off the mark if you won't believe Dog House and me.

Desipura
29-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Go and have a look at the votes for the Woof Player Award and see how far you are off the mark if you won't believe Dog House and me.
Again that is your view and Dogs House view and maybe most people's views. I saw it differently. A few turnovers (one a smothered kick by MacIntosh) and another where he kicked directly to a North opponent, then there was the cute 5m kick to a teammate from the forward pocket when he should have gone for goal were frustrating.
Having said that, I thought he was ok, not great though. Having said that Johnno is one of my favourites and am glad to hear Rocket say he will most probably play again next season.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 12:42 PM
He has my vote. They only thing people can point to is age other than that there is no other reason he could not be Captain.

Jasper
29-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I would Like to see Boyd as captain, because he strikes me as the type of player who wouldn't be affected at all by having the job. That said I would be more than happy if Higgins got the job.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2009, 05:58 PM
As an aside, does anybody think Higgins could become a better player than Cooney and Griffen? IMO he has shown far more in the 48? games he's played than Griffen and Cooney did in that time. He's had a fantastic season to date and one would suspect and hope he's only going to get better.

Obviously Cooney is still building fitness, but I don't think Higgins will be too far off his mark in 1-2 years.

Higgins is better by foot disposal (both sides) and in the air. Cooney's hands in close are very, very good though.

Scorlibo
29-06-2009, 06:08 PM
As an aside, does anybody think Higgins could become a better player than Cooney and Griffen? IMO he has shown far more in the 48? games he's played than Griffen and Cooney did in that time. He's had a fantastic season to date and one would suspect and hope he's only going to get better.

Obviously Cooney is still building fitness, but I don't think Higgins will be too far off his mark in 1-2 years.

Higgins is better by foot disposal (both sides) and in the air. Cooney's hands in close are very, very good though.

I'm not sure that Higgins is better than Cooney in the air, but I do think that he could turn out better than both. In his 4th season, he's having a larger impact than Griffen did last season and Cooney did 2 seasons ago. The three of them could form the most dynamic midfield threesome in the game. Cousins (Higgins), Kerr (Griffen) and Judd (Cooney) all over again.

Ozza
29-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure that Higgins is better than Cooney in the air, but I do think that he could turn out better than both. In his 4th season, he's having a larger impact than Griffen did last season and Cooney did 2 seasons ago. The three of them could form the most dynamic midfield threesome in the game. Cousins (Higgins), Kerr (Griffen) and Judd (Cooney) all over again.

Wow, thats a huge prediction. But I'm salivating at the thought!!!

It is hard to judge - without being inside the club - but Higgins certainly appears as though he has the goods. I gess we'll get a better understanding during the second half of this year - and particularly next year.

Completely agree with bulldogtragic's earlier point - that his lairising was very frustrating v North. There's is a bit too much of that in his game sometimes. But he is a wonderful player. He is as deadly as Aker and Gia around the sticks, and a real boost to the midfield.

ledge
29-06-2009, 07:08 PM
My only question on Higgins is he tends to be injury prone, if he can put together a few and prove the injury problems are gone then he would be a good captain.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 07:11 PM
My only question on Higgins is he tends to be injury prone, if he can put together a few and prove the injury problems are gone then he would be a good captain.

How can you guard against the injuries he has had? It's not like he is twanging a hammy every 3rd week.

ledge
29-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Just some players are prone to injuries no matter what the injury more than others, no good having a captain who struggles to get on the park.
I think he is awesome but that is my only doubt about him being a captain.
Some players we have in the leadership group hardly ever miss a game, i would say that would be a factor wouldnt it?

BulldogBelle
29-06-2009, 08:01 PM

Johhno was fantastic against North

My point is that when he is his twilight of his career, and needs every moment to focus on himself, his form and his fitness, then possibly the best solution for him and the club is to pass the baton to a younger player

Not being the 'official' captain wont stop him from being a leader, but it may give him time to analyse his own form and fitness rather than having to constantly analyse the teams

Also whilst playing he would provide a fantastic mentor to a younger captain like Higgins or Boyd

If we win the flag in 2010 there is actually no one more than Johnno on our current list that I would prefer to see holding the cup above his head with Rocket though, but we need to think strategically and think about whats going to be best for the club in 5 years time and not just for 2010

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 08:47 PM
In one word, yes.

Shaun Higgins is just awesome. Give it to him when Johnno retires.

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Except Ward is already better than Fletcher!