PDA

View Full Version : Are the Hawks stuffed now?

Dry Rot
28-06-2009, 12:17 AM
If we can do them next Sat night, is their premiership defence impossible?

angelopetraglia
28-06-2009, 01:35 AM
If we can beat North tomorrow and Hawthorn next week, we would have a four game + 30% break on them. Let's hope we can win the next two as we have an in form hungry pack ready to pounce if we make a mistake in Adelaide, Collingwood and Brisbane.

It would nearly be impossible for them to finish top four if we can win the next two. Without a top four position it is nearly impossible to win the flag.

Since the current top 8 system has been in place no one from 5-8 has won the flag.

Remi Moses
28-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Massive massive danger of not making the finals let alone top 4. Classic case of a Premiership hangover,wonder if the Dido and Fido members they have will get an apology from Kennett!

azabob
28-06-2009, 09:46 AM
If they make the finals I for one don't want to be playing them. Regardless of bulldogs result today next week game is only 50 / 50.
With two blokes the quality of Roughead and Franklin they are capable of anything.

Sockeye Salmon
28-06-2009, 10:48 AM
If we do the business next week they might be.

They still have games to come against St. Kilda and Geelong as well.

boydogs
28-06-2009, 12:01 PM
If we can beat North tomorrow and Hawthorn next week, we would have a four game + 30% break on them. Let's hope we can win the next two as we have an in form hungry pack ready to pounce if we make a mistake in Adelaide, Collingwood and Brisbane.

It would nearly be impossible for them to finish top four if we can win the next two. Without a top four position it is nearly impossible to win the flag.

Since the current top 8 system has been in place no one from 5-8 has won the flag.

They are 6-7 not 5-8 but I am prepared to rule them out of top 4 now given they are 2 games and percentage behind the 3 sides in positions 4-6, they have not improved with players that have come back so far and they have a very tough run home

hujsh
28-06-2009, 12:01 PM
If they make the finals I for one don't want to be playing them. Regardless of bulldogs result today next week game is only 50 / 50.
With two blokes the quality of Roughead and Franklin they are capable of anything.

They kicked 5 and 4 goals respectively but they still only got a modest score yesterday. They'll need more than those two which is where Hargrave, Morris, Harbrow etc will be vital.

Topdog
28-06-2009, 12:51 PM
They are 6-7 not 5-8 but I am prepared to rule them out of top 4 now given they are 2 games and percentage behind the 3 sides in positions 4-6, they have not improved with players that have come back so far and they have a very tough run home

5-8 was referring to the position on the ladder.

As long as they keep playing duds (for what they are now not on their potential on how good they will be in the future) like Shoemakers, Murphy, Musten and crew they won't get anywhere near the 2nd round of the finals let alone winning the whole thing. They have incredibly shallow depth.

mjp
28-06-2009, 12:56 PM
They kicked 5 and 4 goals respectively but they still only got a modest score yesterday. They'll need more than those two which is where Hargrave, Morris, Harbrow etc will be vital.

Yeah - but there were 100kmph winds blowing at various times. It is remarkable that they scored at all.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2009, 01:02 PM

As long as they keep playing duds (for what they are now not on their potential on how good they will be in the future) like Shoemakers, Murphy, Musten and crew they won't get anywhere near the 2nd round of the finals let alone winning the whole thing. They have incredibly shallow depth.

Pretty tough to call a first year tall and another bloke coming back from 2 serious knee injuries duds.

Tend to agree with your assessment though, they don't have the quality of depth to maintain. A few of their blokes will be a bit sore after yesterday too, so I think it's pay back time for the first final last year. (Better be).

boydogs
28-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Sorry my mistake. I think Adelaide were 5th in 97 or 98, not the current top 8 system though

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Would love to bury there season next week :D

Topdog
28-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Pretty tough to call a first year tall and another bloke coming back from 2 serious knee injuries duds.

I know that is why I heavily qualified it. It's like if Stack were playing every week for us, whilst encouraging as a debut it was a poor game and we couldn't afford to have 3 of him in the side every week as he is not good enough NOW. That shoen...(however you spell it) made 3 hospital handballs in the 1st quarter. When you combine that with other rookies doing the same thing it spells disaster for the team.

Which brings me to querying their depth. Last year such a big deal was made about how awesome their recruiting was I am left wondering what has happened that is making them play so many rookies. Sure they have injuries but no more than Brisbane or what Collingwood had earlier this year.

bornadog
28-06-2009, 09:30 PM

oh yeah, that would be nice.:)

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 09:37 PM

Yeah, ditto to that one - be good to see their arrogant supporters quiet for a change :D Hopefully, we can do the biz!

BulldogBelle
28-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Injuries arent an excuse...

We have either missed or played underdone players like Cooney, Murphy, Williams, Welsh etc all season

Hawthorn dont have great depth, compared to us where we have several 'senior' players waiting in the wings at Williamstown at the moment (Williams, Addison, Callan, Reid, O'Keefe, Tiller etc)

Hawthorn won games when required (and THE game), and peaked at the right time

Dry Rot
18-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Maybe their hopes are still flickering after tonight?

jazzadogs
19-07-2009, 12:00 AM
More than happy that they knocked off the Pies. Let's hope the Saints can beat the Crows tomorrow, will be much happier if we're a game clear of both going in to next week.

Hope Hawks claim a few more scalps, but just miss out. If they were to make it to the finals, they would have to be playing amazing football between now and then, and would be a huge threat.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2009, 12:29 AM
They looked very good tonight, no coincidence that Hodge and Buddy had their best games of the year. Hodge's move to the midfield and Buddy's work up the ground has been great for the Hawks.

They have a difficult draw with games against the Saints, Cats and Crows in their final 6. A lot depends on how many games the other contenders win. Essendon has games Richmond, West Coast and Freo to come. Looks like the Hawks will need 4 more wins to cover their crappy percentage. The Hawks vs Essendon in Round 22 might have a bit riding on it.

Remi Moses
19-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Still think they'll struggle to make it although a pleasing result for us. Does anyone hear the thoughts of Jim from Hawthorn? Two weeks ago the fickle scotsman had their injured players having operations and taking the year off! now it's we're back:rolleyes::rolleyes: