PDA

View Full Version : Selection Vs Saints

Bulldog Revolution
12-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Some interesting conundrums at the selection table this week

Can we play the three ruckmen in the same side? Darcy, Minson and Street

Has Street done enough to warrant selection?

Harris will come into the side, will it be for Aka? or another? Or will Addison or Faulkner come in for Akermanis?

Are players who have been quiet: Ray and McDougall under serious pressure for a place in the team?

I didn't think Robbo could be the scapegoat for a towelling when he plays forward pocket, it was not the easiest game for a forward on Sunday.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Some interesting conundrums at the selection table this week

Can we play the three ruckmen in the same side? Darcy, Minson and Street

Has Street done enough to warrant selection?

Harris will come into the side, will it be for Aka? or another? Or will Addison or Faulkner come in for Akermanis?

Are players who have been quiet: Ray and McDougall under serious pressure for a place in the team?

I didn't think Robbo could be the scapegoat for a towelling when he plays forward pocket, it was not the easiest game for a forward on Sunday.

* No; we can't play three ruckmen in the same side. You can't have three ruckmen, McDougall, Harris & Wight. Street will not play.

* Street hasn't done enough to warrant consideration let alone selection. He needs to get some fitness and form.

* That'll be the question. Personally I think one of Addison or Faulkner will come into the side.

* McDougall is fine. He just needs to learn how we play. He was OK against Geelong and kicked a good goal against The Crows. He needs time; he's versatile, he's in no harm of losing his spot. Ray on the other hand is. Poor skills, poor decision making, no defensive side and too easily brushed aside. No form, either. He was very lucky to play Round 1 and he'll again be very lucky to play Round 3.

* Robbins will probably get another week, although it wouldn't exactly surprise me to see him dropped either. It depends on their thinking; do they want Addison for Akermanis? Do they want Faulkner for Ray? If Ray's given another chance and they want both Faulkner & Addison in, Robbins is the obvious one. Personally though I think he'll get another week to prove himself, meaning Harris & Addison will come into the side for Akermanis & Ray.

Raw Toast
12-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Well it looks like Street is in - seemingly on potential rather than form. Maybe the match committee feared that Clark would get the better of Minson.

And Addison as well as Harris for McDougall, Robbins and Aker. So maybe the plan is also to give Darcy a more extended up forward, maybe even at CHF for awhile.

southerncross
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Well it looks like Street is in - seemingly on potential rather than form. Maybe the match committee feared that Clark would get the better of Minson.

And Addison as well as Harris for McDougall, Robbins and Aker. So maybe the plan is also to give Darcy a more extended up forward, maybe even at CHF for awhile.

I was just listening to Rocket about the ins and outs and I just sensed that he might be concerned about have three ruckman. I'm a little surprised that Doogs as been dropped and thought he might offer some value as a tall defensive option.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Why play 3 ruckmen if Eade is concerned then? Seems a bit odd to me - especially given Street has seemingly struggled for any kind of form over the pre-season and B's games. I also thought McDougall would get at least another week. Perhaps they feel he needs to find some confidence at a lower level before they move him back up.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2007, 10:52 PM
I can see why Rocket has made the changes he has.

Street to play on Clarke, where i think we can get a nil all draw or better.

Addison for Robbins, means Higgins stays forward in Robbins old role, Addison goes to HBF, McMahon goes up the ground like in the pre-lim and makes us more attacking and having Harris back strengthen sour spine and defence. Doogs out makes Darcy more of a focal point while hopefully means he can get a bit more of the action.

To me it seems pretty reasonable. Higgins form must be worrying Robbins and Aker was injured. Doogs needs to have a few big games. While he has shown some good signs, he hasn't had a game for us yet where he has ripped it apart. Perhaps some Bees games could set him alight.

alwaysadog
13-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Adds more grunt to the side.

Would a late change surprise anyone?

Sockeye Salmon
13-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I was just listening to Rocket about the ins and outs and I just sensed that he might be concerned about have three ruckman. I'm a little surprised that Doogs as been dropped and thought he might offer some value as a tall defensive option.

Do you mean he seemed concerned about us playing 3 ruckmen or concerned about St. Kilda playing 3 ruckmen?

There's plenty of talk Clarke won't play.

bornadog
13-04-2007, 12:42 PM
My main concern is who will take on Riewoldt, my guess is Shaggy and he is going to have to be at his best.

We won't really be playing three ruckman as the inclusion of Street allows us to play Darcy as a permanent Fullforward, and therefore stretching the Saints backline. Their backline is actually short

Sockeye Salmon
13-04-2007, 01:39 PM
My main concern is who will take on Riewoldt, my guess is Shaggy and he is going to have to be at his best.

We won't really be playing three ruckman as the inclusion of Street allows us to play Darcy as a permanent Fullforward, and therefore stretching the Saints backline. Their backline is actually short

Shaggy is going to have to take Riewoldt now, but I would have loved Cam Wight to get the job.

Sam Fisher will get Darcy and without McDougall, who else can play as a tall forward to stretch their defense? Eade has already said he wouldn't play two big, slow talls in the same forward line.

bornadog
13-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Shaggy is going to have to take Riewoldt now, but I would have loved Cam Wight to get the job.

Sam Fisher will get Darcy and without McDougall, who else can play as a tall forward to stretch their defense? Eade has already said he wouldn't play two big, slow talls in the same forward line.

I mean Darcy will stretch them, Fisher is a touch over 191cm and the rest of their defence is no bigger.

Could also stretch them with a resting Minson or Street, but that hasn't worked in the past.

Cam is going to have to take Kosinski (197cm)

dog town
13-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Is Doogs an emergency because to be honest I would be staggered if Eade thinks Street is a better option for this week . Just does not add up given that Darcy showed pretty good signs as a relief ruckmen last week and an extra tall forward could have been handy if only to draw a quality player. Be interesting to see what he does with Street if he plays. I have said plenty of times I am not a big fan of Street as a footballer (at this stage) and I just think Doogs gives us more options. Cant really mount an argument for Robbins. Never been a big ball winner so if he is having a quiet game he needs to apply plenty of defensive pressure and that has been down from him for some time now IMO particularly compared to his 2005 levels.

Would like to see Mcmahon given a big challenge and started in the middle.

Raw Toast
13-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Agree that the changes make the odds of a late change tomorrow v likely. Eade likes to play these games and might be trying Ross Lyon out.

Also like the idea of starting McMahon in the middle tomorrow night. Maybe he'll rotate through the middle and forward lines with someone like Cooney, as happened against the Crows last year.

Be interesting to see who goes forward. If the changes stand we've lost three forwards and brought in two defenders (one who may run a bit through the middle) and a ruckman. Ray is named forward - he's good overhead but not sure he has the smartness to play forward. Wouldn't mind having Griffen up forward for a stint.

alwaysadog
13-04-2007, 09:55 PM
and therefore stretching the Saints backline

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, bornadog.

I'm sure that it against some fundamental Afl law that we are not allowed to do that. I think it comes one before the rule that says bulldog players can't receive frees for "in the back" because the rules do not permit bulldog players to have backs.

LostDoggy
14-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Is Doogs an emergency ...
Who are the emergencies for tonight? I haven't been able to find them listed anywhere.

Bulldog Revolution
14-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Who are the emergencies for tonight? I haven't been able to find them listed anywhere.

Fulkner, McDougall and Robbins

Bulldog Revolution
14-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Agree that the changes make the odds of a late change tomorrow v likely. Eade likes to play these games and might be trying Ross Lyon out.

Also like the idea of starting McMahon in the middle tomorrow night. Maybe he'll rotate through the middle and forward lines with someone like Cooney, as happened against the Crows last year.

I felt Addison had been brought in to perhaps mind Stephen Milne and release Jordie McMahon for other duties, either roaming at half back or midfield.

The three ruckmen is an interesting one, given how little we played on Sunday with both Minson and Darcy on the ground

Seems to me that we play better at the Dome than the G, though perhaps I shouldn't have sat in the same spot I watched last years North Melbourne debacle from (which I did not sit in for the Collingwood final)

GVGjr
14-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I felt Addison had been brought in to perhaps mind Stephen Milne and release Jordie McMahon for other duties, either roaming at half back or midfield.

The three ruckmen is an interesting one, given how little we played on Sunday with both Minson and Darcy on the ground

Seems to me that we play better at the Dome than the G, though perhaps I shouldn't have sat in the same spot I watched last years North Melbourne debacle from (which I did not sit in for the Collingwood final)

I think it would be a tough ask of Addison to take on Milne but if he did OK he does free up others players like McMahon as you suggested.

Surely Darcy has to play as a key forward with the other two sharing the ruck work.

bornadog
14-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Surely Darcy has to play as a key forward with the other two sharing the ruck work.

My Point excatly, I think we have been a little unfair to Darcy to expect him to go into the ruck after two knee operations and two years of no football. Street is our best tap ruckman but needs to do more around the ground.

It would be great to see Darcy settle in to the FF role for the whole game and not swap him around.

Bulldog Revolution
14-04-2007, 02:10 PM
My Point excatly, I think we have been a little unfair to Darcy to expect him to go into the ruck after two knee operations and two years of no football. Street is our best tap ruckman but needs to do more around the ground.

It would be great to see Darcy settle in to the FF role for the whole game and not swap him around.

The more you think about St Kildas defence the more you think we might well try stacking our forward line also. After all they have no defender anywhere near Cam Wights height or even Brian Harris.

I actually think a close to four quarter performance from Darcy in the goal square might be a good way to get him back in the swing of that role, with Cameos on the ball

The three ruckmen would also allow us to drop one back in defensive 50 if thats what we wanted to do

Dry Rot
14-04-2007, 02:19 PM
When is the final announced? Can someone post it please?

Raw Toast
14-04-2007, 02:44 PM
When is the final announced? Can someone post it please?

Only half an hour before the game. I might have to stay home for this one (bloody deadlines) - I'll post it if I do so as the radio should announce the teams at the 1/2 hour to go point.

What are your viewing options DR?

Dry Rot
14-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Only half an hour before the game. I might have to stay home for this one (bloody deadlines) - I'll post it if I do so as the radio should announce the teams at the 1/2 hour to go point.

What are your viewing options DR?

Don't have Foxtel but it's on at 10.30pm on Ch 10 up here.

Will watch the game at home with a Sainter friend up from Canberra, after a fine meal. Won't know the score.

We'd better win!!!!!

Raw Toast
14-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Don't have Foxtel but it's on at 10.30pm on Ch 10 up here.

Will watch the game at home with a Sainter friend up from Canberra, after a fine meal. Won't know the score.

We'd better win!!!!!

Are you sure it's on at 10:30pm up there? Doggies email says it's live in NSW and Canberra but this might exclude Sydney?

Contrary to rumours Saints coach Lyon just confirmed Riewoldt is playing. Should here about the dog's final list in a moment, but teh radio guys watching the warm-up seemed to indicate that Street was there and it looked like no changes.

Raw Toast
14-04-2007, 06:59 PM
But as rumoured, Clarke is out with McQualter in. No changes for the bulldogs which is pretty surprising imo. I guess Darcy will spend a fair bit of time forward, and maybe Minson and Street will amble down there as well.

Maybe it's a psychological move from Eade, knowing Clarke was in trouble and the emphasis that Lyon is placing on stoppages and his disappointment at being smashed there by Brisbane, Eade wanted to stack up in rucks. Still seems a bit strange though given Street's form (though IIRC he was brought in a couple of years ago against Everitt in a similar situation when not performing at Werribee).