PDA

View Full Version : Mark of The Year

bulldogtragic
28-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Nearly got as high as Shawn Smith.

Got to be Josh's for sure.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Was a great grab, he is improving every week.

Will be special.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Hahaha was an awesome mark, i reckon i got up as high as him while i celebrated it hehehehe.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 08:05 PM
It's very rare that Bulldog players take those sort of marks, it was absolutely beautiful- of course, it probably would have been a goal if he'd just left it, but I'm so glad he went for it.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 08:27 PM
great grab, made up for not doing a whole lot else...

Happy Days
28-06-2009, 08:30 PM
It was a good grab, but Lovett-Murray's and Logan's unfortunately have it covered for hang-time.

The Underdog
28-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Was a great and timely mark but as has been pointed out, there's already mark's that have it covered this year. Probably won't even be mark of the round. Heath Shaw will get it because he plays for Collingwood.

Stevo
28-06-2009, 10:23 PM
He's an exciting talent and one that seems to be slipping under the radar of the non Bulldog football supporters. Plenty of people mention Ward to me but not too many say anything positive about Hill.

LostDoggy
28-06-2009, 11:43 PM
I thought he was terrible today, he was caught behind his man more often than not. He seems to do this stuff every week, a rare spectactor feat to mask what was an avearge day.

I'd prefer he do the boring chest mark leading out and kick regulation goals than these low percentage grabs that rarely work out.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2009, 11:48 PM
I thought he was terrible today, he was caught behind his man more often than not. He seems to do this stuff every week, a rare spectactor feat to mask what was an avearge day.

I'd prefer he do the boring chest mark leading out and kick regulation goals than these low percentage grabs that rarely work out.

I agree.

I thought Hill was frustrating today, but that's his nature. He'll do the impossible one minute and then look horrible the next. It's obviously something he needs to continue working at, but he's still young and improving.

Nice mark, though.

Happy Days
29-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I actually saw him fumble today!!!

Thompson actually did a very good job on him today, as Josh has been in good form over the past few weeks. Frequently left Hill caught behind.

Of course, this tactic may not be the smartest when your opponent is capable of sitting on your head, as it proved today.

boydogs
29-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Great mark but mark of the year may be biased ;)

I hate it when Hill is played deep forward, much prefer him half-forward flank or wing running to space and floating across to mark the ball when the opposition is bringing it out of defense. He is too good a runner and too undersized to put him at FF. Standing 3 metres clear of his opponent and trying a running jump is his only chance as with this mark, otherwise he would have been wrestled out of the contest

Sedat
29-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Agreed - but he did put away the goal early in the last that needed to be kicked. I think his being caught behind is a by-product of not quite knowing when and where to lead. There was one point in the last qtr that Gia kicked into the space for Hill to lead into but he was flat-footed and was comfortably beaten to the ball by his opponent - someone forward line savvy like a Johnson or Welsh would have anticipated the kick to space and got it lace out. Once he fully understands how to play forward he will be a massive handful for the opposition to match up on.

Mantis
29-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Agreed - but he did put away the goal early in the last that needed to be kicked. I think his being caught behind is a by-product of not quite knowing when and where to lead. There was one point in the last qtr that Gia kicked into the space for Hill to lead into but he was flat-footed and was comfortably beaten to the ball by his opponent - someone forward line savvy like a Johnson or Welsh would have anticipated the kick to space and got it lace out. Once he fully understands how to play forward he will be a massive handful for the opposition to match up on.

That all makes sense and I think we are all in agreeance that he at times struggles with his movement in the forwardline. So why then is he played continually as a forward and not upfield on a wing in a role he shown some ability to play well in?

ledge
29-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I watched Hill yesterday and his second efforts when the opposition had the ball i thought were very good, he is improving all the time and he almost took another screamer at the Nth cheer squad end.

I think he is getting stronger and next year will be a major coming of age for him.

strebla
29-06-2009, 12:45 PM
It's very rare that Bulldog players take those sort of marks, it was absolutely beautiful- of course, it probably would have been a goal if he'd just left it, but I'm so glad he went for it.

I disagree that it would have been a goal if Hill hadn't flown for the mark the Norht player (can't remember who it was i was too exited)would have got a hand to it and we would have gone ibn at three quarter time behind

Mofra
29-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I disagree that it would have been a goal if Hill hadn't flown for the mark the Norht player (can't remember who it was i was too exited)would have got a hand to it and we would have gone ibn at three quarter time behind
That was my reaction - he was caught behind so any shepherd risked the umpire blowing the whistle for a push. In any case, I was happy he had the confidence to go for it.

Happy Days
29-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Hill was all alone in the square a bit earlier in this particualr piece, so Johnno should've kicked it to him anyway. Kind of karmatic :)

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 03:03 PM
http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/main/184990.jpg

mighty_west
29-06-2009, 03:14 PM
It was a great mark, mark of the year? nah, i wouldn't have thought so, but to be only a few metres away, was just awesome, everyone was out of their seats..

Most exciting grab since Robbo's beauty round 18, 2005, Monty also took a few rippers in the late 90's.

mighty_west
29-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Hill is just that type pf player, i doubt he will ever be a consistant 4 quarter player, we will also be a match winner.

Players blessed with these skills should never be told to take it out of their games, remember, teams are made up of all types of players.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Hill is just that type pf player, i doubt he will ever be a consistant 4 quarter player, we will also be a match winner.

Players blessed with these skills should never be told to take it out of their games, remember, teams are made up of all types of players.

Who saying take it out there game, I said the mark masks what was a poor performance. He would have kicked more than 2 had he played in front all day. He does it regularily.

mighty_west
29-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Who saying take it out there game, I said the mark masks what was a poor performance. He would have kicked more than 2 had he played in front all day. He does it regularily.

You said you would rather him going for boring chest marks.

I don't think anyone was pumping him up for his game yesterday, they were just praising his great mark, people are allowed to get excited about great grabs such as that one, it's not a crime!

Praising a great grab and talking about his game are 2 totally different subjects.

ledge
29-06-2009, 06:45 PM
If that pic was taken a bit more to the left you would have seen me standing in awe with my BHBAS shirt on!

chef
29-06-2009, 06:47 PM

A lot of the time he sits off behind his opponent but the guy kicking it to him still puts it out in front giving him no chance.

azabob
29-06-2009, 07:08 PM
That all makes sense and I think we are all in agreeance that he at times struggles with his movement in the forwardline. So why then is he played continually as a forward and not upfield on a wing in a role he shown some ability to play well in?

I think cause we are lacking a marking target. For his size he is a good mark but as you say he's maybe not ready to play deep forward. Welsh played back quite a bit on Sunday and Johnson appears to be playing majority of his football up the ground.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 07:30 PM
http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/main/184990.jpg

Great photo but i dont think it shows how high he got up there...

people are allowed to get excited about great grabs such as that one, it's not a crime!

I did hahaha, nearly got up as high as Josh while i was celebrating, spewing tho, cause i didnt have my camera switched on, woulda been a great pic, although it may not have been, it may have been all blurrey hahaha.

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2009, 10:27 PM
A lot of the time he sits off behind his opponent but the guy kicking it to him still puts it out in front giving him no chance.

That's crap. It's easy to let your opponent take front spot and try to jump over them.

It's every forwards job to push up at the ball carrier, not to hang back and hope for an easy kick.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 10:33 PM
You said you would rather him going for boring chest marks.

Yes, If he played in front he would take boring chest marks more often than these low percentage grabs.
Every week he try to go for a specy, they rarely stick.

I don't think anyone was pumping him up for his game yesterday, they were just praising his great mark, people are allowed to get excited about great grabs such as that one, it's not a crime!

Praising a great grab and talking about his game are 2 totally different subjects.
And I said these grabs mask what was a poor game by him.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 10:35 PM
We did load bombs to the forwards a lot of the time yesterday which is poor from our midfield. Still there was little chance for Hill to get any as he was always 3rd or 4th in line.

alwaysadog
29-06-2009, 10:42 PM
great grab, made up for not doing a whole lot else...

For me the really surprising feature of his game was his inability to deal with the ball around his ankles. This was previously a really strong positive but yesterday you would have thought he was trying to grab a bar of soap in a cold bath.

alwaysadog
29-06-2009, 10:47 PM
That's crap. It's easy to let your opponent take front spot and try to jump over them.

It's every forwards job to push up at the ball carrier, not to hang back and hope for an easy kick.

I agree, but with yesterday's incredible inefficiency going forward it's hard to know if this is a habit that he needs to overcome or just a response to getting no service on his leads. I noticed that he was working hard defensively although not always to great effect.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/competitions/mark/mark.aspx

bornadog
30-06-2009, 06:46 PM
vtUb14yKUsk

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Always liked Hill. Yes he still has a lot to learn, but some one who has played under 50 games he is playing a vital role in the season thus far in my opinion.

P.S. Be sure to vote for his mark for MOTY Comp :D
http://www.afl.com.au/competitions/mark/mark.aspx

LostDoggy
04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.gickr.com/results/anim_cf9a0dc4-f377-d7a4-3951-3890b8eb812a.giff

bornadog
09-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Josh Hill voted Hungry Jack’s AFL Mark of the Year Winner for Round 13!
(http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/80333/default.aspx)

vtUb14yKUsk

The Western Bulldogs’ Josh Hill has been voted the Hungry Jack’s AFL Mark of the Year winner for Round 13.

Josh received 58% of the total votes, making him the clear winner for the round. Follow the link to view this seasons nominations and winner’s so far www.afl.com.au

The overall winner of the 2009 Hungry Jack’s AFL Mark of the Year and AFL Stores Goal of the Year will be decided by the All-Australian selection committee at the conclusion of the 2009 Toyota AFL Finals Series from the pool of weekly nominations.

Each week, the best three marks from the previous round, as selected by Robert Walls and the Nomination Panel will be posted at the above link. Here, fans will be able to view the nominations and vote on the weekly winner.

The winner of the Hungry Jack’s AFL Mark of the Year will receive the Alex Jesaulenko Medal and a crystal replica of the official Hungry Jack’s AFL Mark of the Year perpetual trophy – while the AFL Store Goal of the Year winner will receive the Phil Manassa Medal and a crystal replica of the AFL Stores Goal of the Year trophy.
for westernbulldogs.com.au

bulldogtragic
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm clever.

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 09:06 PM
The first of many.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Happy to see this stuff as it will put Bum's on seats. Just hope he learns not to have a crack at every ball.

Most interesting was Rocket playing it down and stating on 3AW he doesn't like the about me type of stuff!

Is this another message for Josh?

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Very Good mark.
Not great.
But Hill will do it.