PDA

View Full Version : Preperation - Diet

azabob
28-06-2009, 09:22 PM
In todays football there are a lot of things you can control and things you can not control.

I was watching the game and I was sitting next to quite a few of the younger listed players who didn't play today.

I was somewhat suprised some where eating Hot Dogs, Hot Chips, drinking bottles of coke and the like.

I remember Nathan Buckley being interviewed once and Collingwood's season was over, and he was asked what is the best thing about the off season. His response was "I can have a packet of twisties" He sounded serious as always.
We have all heard the story about Judd sending the Hot Chips back to the kitchen that the Carlton boys had ordered.

What are peoples thoughts on this? For me Im not sure what to make of it, I was surprised by it but. I would've thought the club would've listed certain foods as no go zones etc etc.

Cyberdoggie
28-06-2009, 09:45 PM
It's a tough one.

From an outside point of view we frown at the thought of seeing players eating junk food.

Being elite athletes they do burn up a lot of calories and need to replenish them with a variety of foods, some of which would surprise us. I did remember Bob Murphy discussing this and they all advised to drink big M's after training as it had the necessary fuel for the body.

Having said that i wouldn't of thought fried chips, or pies would be ideal.

I like the idea of "the body is a temple". If you put in rubbish you will get rubbish performance.

AndrewP6
28-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I've posted on this before... when the Dogs employed a new dietitian, she noted that players weren't putting muscle on like they wanted to because they weren't feeding themselves enough. These guys expend an enormous amount of energy in their training and on game day. To keep that sort of effort up, they have to eat food that can be easily and quickly converted to energy. I think if their weekly diet was published, you'd find the vast majority of their food intake is of the "good stuff"... and the few variances wouldn't make a massive difference.

mjp
29-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I was somewhat suprised some where eating Hot Dogs, Hot Chips, drinking bottles of coke and the like.

1/.It is not as if there are a lot of alternatives at the venue.
2/.If you are going to do it (eat these foods), 'early' in the week is the time to do it.

Not ideal, but better on Sunday than Friday.

bornadog
29-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Mitch Hahn is one player that use to devour lots of pizzas, but has changed his diet for the better. Apparently was making him very lethargic.

I don't think it harms you once in a blew moon to have hot chips etc, but generally elite athletes should stick to a strict diet if they want to be at their peak for games.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Need to get Ayce Cordy on the beers and pizza.

Desipura
29-06-2009, 10:07 AM
2/.If you are going to do it (eat these foods), 'early' in the week is the time to do it.

That is a cop out IMHO, they can always bring food from home

Mofra
29-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I remember Nathan Buckley being interviewed once and Collingwood's season was over, and he was asked what is the best thing about the off season. His response was "I can have a packet of twisties" He sounded serious as always.
Buckley used to order hsi steak be cut up before it was cooked (at Dimmatinas). 2 -3 years ago, Carlton & Collingwood boys would all eat there weekly - Pies players were very anal about what they ate (but acted like pigs to the wait staff, of which a friend was one). The Carlton boys were a bit more polite, but everything had a side order of chips.

Grant had T Shirts made up about him once with the slogan "no fish & chips until October" so I guess he was a little more careful about what he ate. Soem players are so careful they ring up the club doctor to ask about how much panadol they are allowed to have (Johnson)

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Buckley used to order hsi steak be cut up before it was cooked (at Dimmatinas).

I might be missing something here but what would be achieved by this?

Was he short of teeth?

Ozza
29-06-2009, 06:11 PM
My mate that plays for North loves his junk food - KFC in particular, and has been told that 'if you are gonna have your KFC at some stage - or any food like that - have it within 24 hours of playing'.

Basically, after an AFL game - or VFL game presumably - the body is working overtime - metabolism wise - and it really doesn't matter that much what they eat - so long as it only happens on that one occasion per week.

A couple of years back Geelong were having issues at the Telstra dome because they were bringing in their own pizzas and hot dogs for after the game for the players.

I guess the point with the young players is; they have played on the Saturday - its not a big issue for them to eat some junk on the sunday - as long as it doesn't happen - or is limited - during the week.

GVGjr
29-06-2009, 06:24 PM

It's no big issue but I'm just about sure that the food is provided for them in the change rooms before the game and I would have thought that all players attending the game would 'check in' first and grab something healthy to snack on.

chef
29-06-2009, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mofra;93794]Buckley used to order hsi steak be cut up before it was cooked (at Dimmatinas). QUOTE]

I might be missing something here but what would be achieved by this?

Was he short of teeth?

I was wondering this too. Do you mean trimming off the fat and sinew?

Mofra
29-06-2009, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=EJ Smith;93799]

I was wondering this too. Do you mean trimming off the fat and sinew?
No, actrually cut up into bite size pieces.

If anyone asked him why, he became rude & abusive and wouldn't answer. Actually, by all accounts if he wasn't rude he must have been having an off week, not a pleasant individual to deal with.