PDA

View Full Version : Would you want BBBBBB Barry Hall in 2010?

mighty_west
29-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Big Bad Bussling, at it again, in fact, next time he runs through the banner, perhaps they should play Britney Spears "Oooooops! I Did It Again"...

He will most likely be let go at the end of the season from the Swannies, would you want him at our club even if it was just for one season? could we afford to have another 30 year old plus player on the list next season, would his services be the difference between glory & making up the numbers in 2010?

Discuss.

Desipura
29-06-2009, 04:15 PM
has already been discussed

bulldogtragic
29-06-2009, 04:27 PM
to death.

and no.

mighty_west
29-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Thats fine, i'll leave it for the mod squad to delete or not to delete, all good, just thought it deserved a run on the main board, especially given his latest brain snap.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Thats fine, i'll leave it for the mod squad to delete or not to delete, all good, just thought it deserved a run on the main board, especially given his latest brain snap.
That's a diferent topic. :)

I think we could have a serious contender for a World Champion in the ring. Should have left last year and given a boxing career a real shot. I can't wait to see what he is capable of in the ring. I laughed hearing a swans player saying indiscriminations within the club result in 90 seconds in the ring with Barry :)

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 05:20 PM
No.

Grant, Boumann, Roughead, Cordy, Jones.

All of them before Barry.

Ozza
29-06-2009, 05:50 PM

I agree mate - worth a quick discussion given the weekend's events - and now that this will almost certainly be the end of him at Sydney.

If the finals don't work out well for us this year...I wouldn't be against a situation that saw Bazza at least train with us for October/November and let the club decide where he was at and whether he would be a good addition to the side.

He kicked 4 on Saturday night - and 6 against us from memory - and thats in a very ordinary side....

I'm not saying we need him, or should definitely try and get him.....but I just wouldn't rule it out. It will be a couple of years until any of Jones, Cordy, Rough, Grant etc are ready.

bornadog
29-06-2009, 06:56 PM
No.

Agreed, don't need another 30 plus recruit.

azabob
29-06-2009, 07:04 PM
No.

What about if you look at it another way.

We are playing Geelong and Grant and Cordy are playing well enough to play for the bulldogs.

Would you prefer Scarlett picking up Grant and Harley picking up Cordy

or Scarlett picking up Hall, Harley on Grant and harry Taylor on Cordy.

I know what I'd prefer.

It would be a hell of a lot easier for our young key forwards to have the support of a big body helping them out.

chef
29-06-2009, 07:09 PM
No.

But none of those guys are going to be ready to be Key forwards next year, so he won't be taking their spots.

ledge
29-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Barry would be good for one year as long as he holds his anger, you would get him for bugger all now too.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 07:29 PM
But none of those guys are going to be ready to be Key forwards next year, so he won't be taking their spots.

I expect Grant to player a lot games next season.

Cordy & Roughead will also make appearances.

LostDoggy
29-06-2009, 07:35 PM
What about if you look at it another way.

We are playing Geelong and Grant and Cordy are playing well enough to play for the bulldogs.

Would you prefer Scarlett picking up Grant and Harley picking up Cordy

or Scarlett picking up Hall, Harley on Grant and harry Taylor on Cordy.

I know what I'd prefer.

It would be a hell of a lot easier for our young key forwards to have the support of a big body helping them out.

I think Geelong would be in trouble if Harley had to play Grant, off the mark he would burn him.

Cordy would tear Taylor a new one also.

BulldogBelle
29-06-2009, 07:36 PM

All good mw, thread is fine.

I don't mind Barry Hall even though he's a bit of a loose cannon. If the club wanted him then I would back their judgement.

chef
29-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I expect Grant to player a lot games next season.

Cordy & Roughead will also make appearances.

I do too, but they aren't going to be power forwards for us next season IMO.

BulldogBelle
29-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I believe that Barry was a Doggies supporter growing up...

If we could offer him a 'fair' contract ie he didnt cost us too much but we still payed him enough to keep him motivated AND we didnt have to exchange anything apart from a 3/4th round draft pick for him I would be in favour

Rocket has coached him before and would be able to get him to perform

Grant, Cordy and Boumann arent going to be playing any more than 10 games each in 2010..they are all in development phase and arent doing much in the VFL at present

azabob
29-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I think Geelong would be in trouble if Harley had to play Grant, off the mark he would burn him.

Cordy would tear Taylor a new one also.

Yeah so whats wrong with having Hall (who Scarlett would pick up) playing along side him?

Dont be mistaken if Hall was at our club and J Grant was ready for senior football, Eade would play him no if's no maybes.

AndrewP6
29-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I've spoken against this one before, but watching our side aimlessly pinging the ball in to nobody again and again, I might be swayed. Grant, Cordy, Boumann are a couple of years away IMO, and Bazza could well be just the tonic for us. Get him on the cheap, make it a one year shot, and who knows...

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I would take him if we dont have to give up too much in the way of draft picks. A very late pick - why not? He would be good for a year or so - teach a few of the kids how to really play at full forward and also help us out no end in taking the opposition's #1 defender week in / week out.

We will be able to get him for next to nothing now.....

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Start of the year would've been a yes. Now, a big No.

lemmon
30-06-2009, 08:09 PM
The sooner he gets into boxing the better.

LostDoggy
30-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd give him a chance. We need a strong focal point in the square and our kids are years off. Our window is open right now so why not? If it meant winning a grand final then it is a simple answer.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd give him a chance. We need a strong focal point in the square and our kids are years off. Our window is open right now so why not? If it meant winning a grand final then it is a simple answer.

Do it for Johnno's sake, the last of our great, thwarted '97, '98 team to have one more shot at the glory they deserved. His nous (v his nose) would be good to have around the club, especially for the young developing forwards. Unfortunately he'd be a liability for the sponsors, but success is more important to them than reliable behaviour. Is there a drug to stop the impulse to left hook?

Desipura
01-07-2009, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=BornInDroopSt'54;94146]Do it for Johnno's sake, the last of our great, thwarted '97, '98 team to have one more shot at the glory they deserved. His nous (v his nose) would be good to have around the club, especially for the young developing forwards. Unfortunately he'd be a liability for the sponsors, but success is more important to them than reliable behaviour. Is there a drug to stop the impulse to left hook?
Yes there is, it is called quick movement into the forward line unlike Sydneys game plan

LostDoggy
01-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I dont want him , id rather see him go on to box :)

The Pie Man
01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
An old friend of mine sent me an email saying 'Barry will be at the Dogs next year if he gets his wish' He said he'd heard this through Paul Williams' inlaws who he knows (I have seen this guy talk to Paul Williams before)

Having said that, I don't put any cred into this rumour - but I thought I'd share it nonetheless.

I get the feeling it's Dogs or nowhere for him next year. What would be the point in hanging around Sydney/other bottom 8 club for one year. Time will be running out for him to give boxing a crack too.

Desipura
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Rocket has just stated on the AFL website that we will not be pursuing Barry Hall next season.

Desipura
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade says his club has no intention of pursuing Sydney Swan Barry Hall, even if the powerful forward is a free agent come season's end.

The immediate future of Hall is under a cloud after a series of ill-disciplined acts led his coach Paul Roos to publicly question the 32-year-old's worth to the club.

A tall marking option up forward has long been sought after by the Dogs and when Hall’s name was raised during contract negotiations last year, Eade said he would seriously consider bringing him back to Melbourne.

But the Bulldogs coach said on Wednesday that Hall was not on the club's radar in terms of a possible off-season acquisition.

In other news, Eade said one of Sam Reid or Dylan Addison would be likely to come into the team for the injured Daniel Giansiracusa.

The Bulldogs also had a number of players not taking part in Wednesday's main training session, including Lindsay Gilbee, Jason Akermanis, Robert Murphy and Shaun Higgins.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade says his club has no intention of pursuing Sydney Swan Barry Hall, even if the powerful forward is a free agent come season's end.

The immediate future of Hall is under a cloud after a series of ill-disciplined acts led his coach Paul Roos to publicly question the 32-year-old's worth to the club.

A tall marking option up forward has long been sought after by the Dogs and when Hall’s name was raised during contract negotiations last year, Eade said he would seriously consider bringing him back to Melbourne.

But the Bulldogs coach said on Wednesday that Hall was not on the club's radar in terms of a possible off-season acquisition.

In other news, Eade said one of Sam Reid or Dylan Addison would be likely to come into the team for the injured Daniel Giansiracusa.

The Bulldogs also had a number of players not taking part in Wednesday's main training session, including Lindsay Gilbee, Jason Akermanis, Robert Murphy and Shaun Higgins.
Time to see what Sammy Reid can do. The one game in Adelaide last year was obviously not enough. Bring on Sammy.

mighty_west
01-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I was pretty strong on not wanting Hall in last years trade, we were apparently all over him, but my worry at the time was at what price?

Had we given up our second round pick we would have most likely have no Roughead on our list now developing, or had Sydney wanted our first, then no Cordy.

However, if we can pick him up cheaply after this season, through the psd like we did with Welsh, then why not, i was also worried that his body perhaps wouldn't have standed up for the price we would have had to pay, but he has been in very good form this year.

Had we picked up Hall last year as well, would we have closed the gap on Geelong and improved to that next level like the Saints have?

To me, with our improving list, if we can get Barry cheap, then i would say why not, it would seem to be a win for the club as we didn't give up either Cordy or Roughead for him and we would most likely be an improved side on this year!!

I also think a new enviroment, a new club for a year or two, a genuine chance for a flag, along with the help in the forward line he would get with us not relying on one big forward, would be the tonic he would need to hold his anger in check.

mighty_west
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Rocket has just stated on the AFL website that we will not be pursuing Barry Hall next season.

I take that with a grain of salt to be honest, if he left the door open right now at looking at Hall, the media would be all over it, the type of distractions we don't really need going into the second half of the season, and with momentum just slowly building.

The Pie Man
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I take that with a grain of salt to be honest, if he left the door open right now at looking at Hall, the media would be all over it, the type of distractions we don't really need going into the second half of the season, and with momentum just slowly building.

Agreed - I don't think he'd want to comment on anyone in pontential post season trades at this early stage, just not the right time.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't want him, but you are right wouldn't declare interest in him. Otherwise it would make it harder to secure him.

hujsh
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I was pretty strong on not wanting Hall in last years trade, we were apparently all over him, but my worry at the time was at what price?

Had we given up our second round pick we would have most likely have no Roughead on our list now developing, or had Sydney wanted our first, then no Cordy.

That was actually not possible as we had already committed to him as a fs pick.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
That was actually not possible as we had already committed to him as a fs pick.
Exactly the equation is Hall for two years with his anger management issues.

Or Roughy whose tapwork is the best i've seen since Wynd. Or Liam Jones who, as you can tell from my footer, i am on the bandwagon as a KPP forward.

I'm happy with the decision we made. We got 3 very exciting, yet very different talls, to compliment a good backline with some depth now, a good midfield and some very good looking f/s selections who are performing to high expectations in the u/18's.

Remi Moses
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Geez this is a tricky one, the positives are just so tantalising . The negatives are just to heavy IMO. Are sedatives on the banned drugs list?:eek: