PDA

View Full Version : What's the story with Stynes?

Sockeye Salmon
02-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Apparently is going to resign tomorrow due to ill health.

Not in a good way according to Sandra Sully.

CA?

AndrewP6
02-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Had a look round..found this story...doesn't sound good - he seems like a top bloke, too... hope he's OK.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25720997-661,00.html

Dry Rot
02-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Sounds like Jimmy the Dancer.

bornadog
02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I am invited to the Presidents lunch this Saturday (Melb v West Coast, so will be interesting to see who steps in.

ledge
02-07-2009, 02:27 PM
He had a lump on his back, had it removed and tested, apparently it wasnt just in the lump but has spread.
This is sad news i have a lot of respect for Jim, an all round good bloke who has always been passionate for the team he loves.

Hope to see him back healthy and enjoying life.

Remi Moses
02-07-2009, 03:22 PM
What awful news. Good person Jim Stynes

bornadog
02-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Lets hope he fully recovers, not only for his sake, but his wife and young family

The Coon Dog
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Sounds like Jimmy the Dancer.

Spot on DR.

Very sad, terrific person who has assisted so many.

Good luck & I hope he fights the good fight!

Demons legend Jim Stynes speaks of battle with cancer (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25720997-661,00.html)

UPDATE 1.29pm: A DEFIANT Jim Stynes has told a press conference he will treat this week like any other, despite his battle with cancer.

An emotional Stynes, 43, said he found a lump on his back three weeks ago, but was reluctant to go into the details of his prognosis.

"I found out it was cancerous ... it's spread quite a bit," he told reporters. "I have a journey to go on I would say, I have to understand it, to work with it."

"I need to put all my energies into getting my body right and to heal."

However, he insisted he was not stepping down as chairman of Melbourne footy club, saying that he was merely "taking a break".

"I am not walking away," he said. "I am taking a break. I need to take the rest of the season off."

Stynes was flanked by his wife Sam, McLardy and Demons chief executive Cameron Schwab at the media conference.

After mentioning his two young children, Stynes paused for some time, before asking that he and his family be given some privacy and time "to heal".

"In a few weeks, I'll be back doing normal things," he said. "You won’t even know there was anything wrong."

"Don’t treat me any differently and I don't want anybody looking at me in a weird way. I'm still the same guy and I’m going to get on with my life."

He insisted he was going to approach this week like any other week.

He is believed to have told board members, senior staff and friends last night that he would have to step aside from his chairman role for a while.

He said today they had been "awesome".

"I have got some of the best people in the country working with me," he said.

"I have got a great family and a great friendship group who are right behind me, the club and Reach, I couldn't be in better hands."

Demons vice-president Don McLardy will take over as acting president until the conclusion of the 2009 season.

The 1991 Brownlow medallist and former ruck great is understood to face surgery later this week.

Earlier this year, he sat with the cheer squad behind the goals at the MCG during a Melbourne game.

The Irishman came to Australia in the mid-1980s and played 264 games with the Demons.

Stynes is in his second season as president after replacing Paul Gardner mid-season last year.

"Since I've come to this country I've just had amazing experiences and an amazing journey," he said today.

"I've been very fortunate with this great club what it gave me and along that way I've met some amazing people."

Premier John Brumby was among many who wished Stynes well in his battle with illness.

"Jim is a favoured Melbourne son," said Brumby from Darwin.

"He's an inspirational footballer ... In every way I think he's been a great leader, a great footballer and he's been a great advocate for young people at risk in our community."

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou said he expected the football world to rally around one of its favorite sons.

"Jim is one of the most respected people in football and across the community and the best wishes of the AFL and all football supporters go out to him, his wife Sam and his family at this time," he said.

Read more messages of support for Jim Stynes here

Stynes represents one of the most inspiring stories in the game, playing a record 244 games in a row from 1987-98.

He has been described as "Australia's most successful sporting experiment''.

Stynes was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 2003 and Melbourne's Hall of Fame in 2006.

He was named Victorian of the Year in 2001 and 2003 for his work with the Reach Foundation, a group committed to helping youth.

Since taking over the presidency he has preached persistence and optimism, with the promise of ultimate success for players and fans.

LostDoggy
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Hopefully he gets through this, hes a great guy from what ive seen in the media.

Lets hope the media repects him enough and leaves him alone during this tough time for him.

Good luck Jim...

jazzadogs
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
One of my junior coaches gave me Stynes' biography/autobiography, was an inspirational read. Had a nice message from my coach as well.

He is a great guy, especially through his work with Reach, and I join everyone in wishing him a speedy recovery.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Bad news, I hope he recovers because he's a great guy.

A couple of years ago he was the 'host' of a program that helped children deal with mentally challenged siblings and suicides.

He spoke very, very well.

He's a genuine person and so I feel for him.

All the best.

boydogs
02-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Genuine, down to earth and kind person, came to my high school in 2000
Does not deserve this, all the best