F: Campbell Brown, Jarryd Roughead, Cameron Stokes
Foll: Robert Campbell, Brad Sewell, Xavier Ellis
I/C: Beau Dowler, Josh Kennedy, Liam Shiels, Simon Taylor
Emg: Ryan Schoenmakers, Travis Tuck, Clinton Young

In: Dowler, Gilham, Kennedy, Shiels
Out: Mark Williams (knee), Beau Muston, Ryan Schoenmakers, Brendan Whitecross

comrade
02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Good in, he literally dragged Williamstown over the line last week.

His hardness will be a real attribute against a team that will come out breathing fire.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Good in, he literally dragged Williamstown over the line last week.

His hardness will be a real attribute against a team that will come out breathing fire.

If Picken goes to Hodge, I wouldn't mind seeing Reid on Osborne.

Mantis
02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Hawthorn

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Thomas Murphy
HB: Grant Birchall, Luke Hodge, Rick Ladson
C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Chance Bateman
HF: Michael Osborne, Lance Franklin, Ben McGlynn
F: Campbell Brown, Jarryd Roughead, Cameron Stokes
Foll: Robert Campbell, Brad Sewell, Xavier Ellis
I/C: Beau Dowler, Josh Kennedy, Liam Shiels, Simon Taylor
Emg: Ryan Schoenmakers, Travis Tuck, Clinton Young

In: Dowler, Gilham, Kennedy, Shiels
Out: Mark Williams (knee), Beau Muston, Ryan Schoenmakers, Brendan Whitecross

comrade
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Hawthorn's ‘ins’ don't exactly strike fear in my heart, but Gilham does strengthen their backline structure, meaning less mis-matches.

Though I’m looking forward to seeing who Tom Murphy goes to – get on whoever it is for most goals. :D

bornadog
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Hawthorn's ‘ins’ don't exactly strike fear in my heart, but Gilham does strengthen their backline structure, meaning less mis-matches.

Though I’m looking forward to seeing who Tom Murphy goes to – get on whoever it is for most goals. :D

Hawks have a very short backline. We need Minson down there and he will have a ball.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
My shabby match-ups:

Morris - Buddy
Lake - Roughead
Shaggy - Brown
Harbrow - Stokes
Gilbee - McGlynn
Reid/Picken- Osborne

I have been saying Picken on Hodge all week.

Cross to run with Bateman and Boyd up against Mitchell.

bornadog
02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
My shabby match-ups:

Morris - Buddy
Lake - Roughead
Shaggy - Brown
Harbrow - Stokes
Gilbee - McGlynn
Reid/Picken- Osborne

I have been saying Picken on Hodge all week.

Cross to run with Bateman and Boyd up against Mitchell.

Pretty good match ups under the circumstances. Not sure where Reid will play.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Hawks have a very short backline. We need Minson down there and he will have a ball.

They are also pretty weak in the ruck. If Minson continues his career best form he really should have a good night. That's the next step up for a decent player, going from being competitive to dominating weaker opponents.

bornadog
02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Who do you think they will try and tag and who will do the tagging? Cooney, Griffen?

Rocco Jones
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Pretty good match ups under the circumstances. Not sure where Reid will play.

Cheers.

I see Osborne as a bit of a danger and with Williams and Rioli out of the side he will probably become more of a target. He covers a fair bit of the ground, so stamina will be a key.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Who do you think they will try and tag and who will do the tagging? Cooney, Griffen?

They like using McGlynn as an outside/forward tag, he might get a job on Griffen or Gilbee if they see him as a big enough danger despite carying an injury.

I would think Sewell will go head to head against Cooney.

Cyberdoggie
02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
If Picken goes to Hodge, I wouldn't mind seeing Reid on Osborne.

If he can get his fitness right up he could be tried as a future tagging option.

I liken him to Boyd in that they showed promise early but you could see problems with their disposal. If Sam can work as hard has Matthew Boyd he will find a permanent spot in the midfield.

Mofra
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Reid plays as an inside midfielder, but has been pushed forward as well. Perhaps he's being thrown straight into Gia's role & the hope is the remainder of the team balance is not upset.

I'm happy to see him get his second game, it's on the back of very good VFL form and he strikes me as the type who takes nothing for granted. I'd expect he'll leave nothing in the tank by the end of the game.

Mofra
02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I liken him to Boyd in that they showed promise early but you could see problems with their disposal. If Sam can work as hard has Matthew Boyd he will find a permanent spot in the midfield.
Boyd always had pretty clean hands though. There is another midfield rookie in the team wearing no 42 who has surprisingly clean hands. I think more than a few here have high hopes for him ;)

angelopetraglia
02-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Great to see Reid get another game.

He played a great game on the weekend and deserves his chance.

Mantis
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Our team looks a little unbalanced on paper as we probably need atleast one more player in the team who plays primarily in defence. We will probably have to play a couple of our 'forwards' in defence at stages.

I believe that we will need Murf leading up to the ball across HF as without Gia in the team we don't have too many others who can play this role and Welsh looked good up forward in the first half last week, but it looks like both of these 2 will need to spend time in defence. Perhaps Hill may go back at times as well.

Our depth in the midfield looks very strong so hopefully we can get on top through the middle and run Hawthorn ragged.

bulldogtragic
02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Our team looks a little unbalanced on paper as we probably need atleast one more player in the team who plays primarily in defence. We will probably have to play a couple of our 'forwards' in defence at stages.

I believe that we will need Murf leading up to the ball across HF as without Gia in the team we don't have too many others who can play this role and Welsh looked good up forward in the first half last week, but it looks like both of these 2 will need to spend time in defence. Perhaps Hill may go back at times as well.

Our depth in the midfield looks very strong so hopefully we can get on top through the middle and run Hawthorn ragged.
My thoughts exactly, but i'm happy to see Redi's consistency be rewarded.

LostDoggy
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Glad to see Reid get a crack.

He would've learned a lot from the Adelaide game last season, then able to go back to Williamstown & work hard for another chance. Playing another full year at VFL level would've helped also, against bigger bodies would hold him in good stead for AFL.

boydogs
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM

I thought we would bring in a defender for Gia too. Murphy has come back through the backline but I expected he would go forward this week, which suits as we have more defenders than forwards knocking on the door. Though we have done well the last 2 games playing a defender short and lacking height in defense, which looks like something Eade will be doing beyond the slippery Darwin game at least until Williams comes back.

Murphy and Welsh got votes from me last week playing well at both ends. I love that sort of flexibility and just wish we could get it from our defenders as much as we do our forwards - Murphy and Welsh can go back, Aker, Johnno and Higgins in the middle, Hill on the wing and Minson in the ruck. Everitt, Callan, Tiller, Addison, Williams, Hargrave, Lake and Morris have not really succeeded/been used much outside of the backline. A flexible side is the difference between playing your 25th best player to support your structure and your 22nd, reshuffling around them

Higgins, Hill and Johnno will need to lead hard around half forward with Minson and Hahn deep forward when Welsh and Murphy are down the other end. I think we can pull it off but it will definitely be a big effort if Welsh and Murphy as well as Gia are not there.

The inclusion of a midfielder in Reid suggests we are conscious of cutting quality supply to Buddy and Roughead, which is probably not a bad way to spend your inclusion

Sedat
03-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Gilham was actually a last minute omission for match-up purposes in last year's QF (replaced by Stokes from memory), because he had no appropriate match-up against us. Not sure much has changed since then, other than Murphy in place of Croad as the other designated tall defender. Gilham and Murphy both aren't super quick off the mark, so one of them could be exposed on a smaller agile forward if we can win our share of the ball out of the middle (one of them would take Minson you'd imagine).

The Pie Man
03-07-2009, 12:25 PM
What's the fine for playing someone not listed even as an emergency?

comrade
03-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Gilham was actually a last minute omission for match-up purposes in last year's QF (replaced by Stokes from memory), because he had no appropriate match-up against us. Not sure much has changed since then, other than Murphy in place of Croad as the other designated tall defender. Gilham and Murphy both aren't super quick off the mark, so one of them could be exposed on a smaller agile forward if we can win our share of the ball out of the middle (one of them would take Minson you'd imagine).

I think we’d be extremely happy with Minson on Murphy – he’s comparable to Toby Thurstons who Will gave an absolute bath a few weeks ago.

I can’t see the Hawks allowing it though, so I’d expect to see Gilham go to Will. That means Murphy will probably go to Welsh (if he plays forward) or Hahn.

Definite win for us.

Mofra
03-07-2009, 12:41 PM
What's the fine for playing someone not listed even as an emergency?
Depends of the out is due to "injury" or not

bornadog
03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I think we’d be extremely happy with Minson on Murphy – he’s comparable to Toby Thurstons who Will gave an absolute bath a few weeks ago.

I can’t see the Hawks allowing it though, so I’d expect to see Gilham go to Will. That means Murphy will probably go to Welsh (if he plays forward) or Hahn.

Definite win for us.

Tom Murphy (189 cm) is too short for Minson, (199) as is Gilham (191)

Who will Birchell (193) pick up?

soupman
03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Depends of the out is due to "injury" or not

I'm pretty sure that the only way someone who wasn't even named an emergency can play without a fine is if there are four legit injury forced omissions on game day. Otherwise it would definitely be a fine, otherwise Sheedy would have done it every week at Essendon.

comrade
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Tom Murphy (189 cm) is too short for Minson, (199) as is Gilham (191)

Who will Birchell (193) pick up?

Birchell is quite mobile so he could go to Johnson, and with his height would compete well in the air.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
It would be great if we could keep both Welsh and Bobby forward for the vast majority of the game. I don't rate the depth of the Hawks defence and I think we could isolate a match up or two.

The Pie Man
03-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that the only way someone who wasn't even named an emergency can play without a fine is if there are four legit injury forced omissions on game day. Otherwise it would definitely be a fine, otherwise Sheedy would have done it every week at Essendon.

I remember we did it with Johnson vs Collingwood in 06 round 1 - I'm sure Eade isn't thinking of promoting Williams in this fashion, just thought I'd ask the question.

I'm very nervous about this one with Collingwood next week, and our backline lacks balance without Tom - though I understand it's no good promoting if underdone.

hujsh
03-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I remember we did it with Johnson vs Collingwood in 06 round 1 - I'm sure Eade isn't thinking of promoting Williams in this fashion, just thought I'd ask the question.

I'm very nervous about this one with Collingwood next week, and our backline lacks balance without Tom - though I understand it's no good promoting if underdone.

Round 1 2006 was against Richmond.

Did you mean round 1 2005?