PDA

View Full Version : Hype

Mantis
03-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Why isn't our game getting any?

All week there has been little or no coverage of our upcoming game against Hawthorn with all the focus on the Geelong v St.Kilda & Essendon v Collingwood games.

Perhaps we might get some airplay in tomorrow's papers, but is anyone else surprised that a game involving last years premiers (on their last chance) and a team sitting 3rd has absolutely no 'hype' about it?

Sedat
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Why isn't our game getting any?

All week there has been little or no coverage of our upcoming game against Hawthorn with all the focus on the Geelong v St.Kilda & Essendon v Collingwood games.

Perhaps we might get some airplay in tomorrow's papers, but is anyone else surprised that a game involving last years premiers (on their last chance) and a team sitting 3rd has absolutely no 'hype' about it?
Not really. It's a reflection on Hawthorn's fall from grace more than anything else. Essendon v Collingwood is a populist vote (and for once both happen to be in good form at the same time). And Geelong v Saints is deserving of all the hype considering both are 13-0.

I'm pretty content to fly under the radar this week. We have Collingwood (twice), Essendon, Geelong and St Kilda to come, so we'll get our fair share of media hype and exposure for the remainder of the season.

Ozza
03-07-2009, 12:25 PM
To be honest - I'd prefer no hype this week. We'd rather just be flying under the radar and playing the game on its merits than having a huge media beat up about the Hawks backs to the wall, last chance etc..

With a Collingwood/Essendon game on - and the Cats/Saints match that has been talked about for over a month - its understandable.

The Adelaide Connection
03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
rolled into town a few hours ago and was looking forward to reading the papers assuming it would be full of articles on the game, but alas it was just like the Adelaide papers....Not a single article :mad:

LostDoggy
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
rolled into town a few hours ago and was looking forward to reading the papers assuming it would be full of articles on the game, but alas it was just like the Adelaide papers....Not a single article :mad:

Cant expect an article about our game when you have traditional Collingwood/Essendon rivalry game and a game with 2 undefeated sides after 13 rounds. Why are people surprised we get less media attention anyway? I expected even more of a Geelong/Stkilda buildup

LostDoggy
03-07-2009, 01:22 PM
We're not getting the hype because there are two other games that are seen as blockbusters, and rightly so.

Hype sucks anyway. And we always seem to fall victim to our own hype.

Topdog
03-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Not surprised. 2 games that genuinely have a chance of getting 80,000+ (if Geelong game wasnt at Etihad)

Cyberdoggie
03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah we have a few tough games coming up against sides that are top 8 and have large membership numbers. Will be a real test to see where we are at.
If we fall to the pies and bombers in the next few weeks we may just be making up the numbers come september.

The Adelaide Connection
03-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Cant expect an article about our game when you have traditional Collingwood/Essendon rivalry game and a game with 2 undefeated sides after 13 rounds. Why are people surprised we get less media attention anyway? I expected even more of a Geelong/Stkilda buildup

Understood, but no room for one article? There are a few other games involving Melbourne clubs that would have to be generating less interest than ours yet all of those clubs had at least a minor article. In fact the dogs were the only club, in the two papers I read, not to have at least one article on them.

Lets hope that in the run home our matches against Collingwood, Saints and Cats are given top billing because that is all free advertising that helps promote the Bulldogs brand.

bornadog
03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Understood, but no room for one article? There are a few other games involving Melbourne clubs that would have to be generating less interest than ours yet all of those clubs had at least a minor article. In fact the dogs were the only club, in the two papers I read, not to have at least one article on them.

Lets hope that in the run home our matches against Collingwood, Saints and Cats are given top billing because that is all free advertising that helps promote the Bulldogs brand.

Here is one from a Hawthorn perspective:

Clarkson urges Hawks to re-visit 2008
03/07/2009 12:46 PM
Brandon Cohen
Sportal

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson has urged his players to draw inspiration from last year's qualifying final win over the Western Bulldogs as the Hawks look to arrest a worrying form slump.

Hawthorn thumped the Bulldogs by 51 points in the first week of the finals on their way to the 2008 premiership.

But at 6-7 and with games to come against three of the top four sides over the next month, the Hawks are in serious danger of becoming the first reigning premier to miss the finals since Adelaide in 1999.

However, Clarkson is optimistic his team can still make a late charge for the finals, starting with a rematch against the Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night.

"There were certain areas of that game (last year's qualifying final) which were outstanding in terms of hardness at the footy and putting enormous pressure on the Bulldogs side when they had the ball," he said.

"If we can mirror those type of performances and efforts then we give ourselves a real good chance."

"We know we are capable of beating this side if we apply ourselves in the right manner in those areas of the game."

"We haven't been able to maintain that type of consistency in our game, in those areas of the game, for long enough periods to give ourselves a chance to win games consistently. But we know we are capable of doing it."

"Our form for the best part of the season hasn't been near the level we know we're capable of. We know that over the course of the last nine rounds of the season we need to improve to be able to get ourselves into the eight."

"We're sitting just outside at the moment and current form would suggest we're going to need to get a wriggle on otherwise we run the risk of not being there when it matters most."

The Hawks have beaten just one top-eight team so far this season - Carlton in Round 6 and that was by just four points after Brendan Fevola hit the post inside the final minute of the match.

This week's clash against the third-placed Bulldogs - who are coming off four consecutive victories - could 'bring out the best in us', Clarkson said, adding that another loss would not necessarily spell the end of the club's premiership defence.

"All we know is that if we do win it gives us a better chance of playing in September and if we lose it makes it more difficult," he said.

Clarkson said livewire Cyril Rioli would return to the side in a 'week or two', while Trent Croad has stepped up his training and could be available by the end of the month.

LostDoggy
03-07-2009, 04:49 PM
There has been alot of hype about this game!!
Rob Walls says that this game is the most important of the round, so did the footy show!
So yeah, dunno what yr talking bout sorry..

Mantis
03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
So yeah, dunno what yr talking bout sorry..

I am talking about the lack of press coverage for this game.

boydogs
03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I walked in the door tonight to see Quarters previewing the game, throwing to the Clarko presser above and showing Buddy killing us in last years QF. So its not entirely off the radar. Agree with other posters that the other big games this round could be contributing

AndrewP6
03-07-2009, 09:41 PM
No probs getting no hype...we need to win this one, extra hype wouldn't help us I don't think... the media is fickle, the Hawks haven't looked flash this year, so the journos find others to put in the headlines... and despite our top 3 position, I reckon the public generally don't rate us...

Remi Moses
04-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Who cares what the public think anyway. Geez Clarkson looking to last years final to draw inspiration,struggling for motivation for mine.

aker39
06-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't think we will have any trouble getting some hype this week, seeing as we are playing the hype kings.

Let's hope they suffer from Blockbuster syndrome again.

Mantis
06-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Agree with that A39.

After our stellar performance on Saturday night I think there will be a fair bit of expectation placed upon us now so hopefully we can stand up and give a similar performance against another in form team.

Mofra
06-07-2009, 10:50 AM
After our stellar performance on Saturday night I think there will be a fair bit of expectation placed upon us now so hopefully we can stand up and give a similar performance against another in form team.
Good. Placing us under pressure now will help us under the greater pressure of finals. Help us get used to it.

ledge
06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Wonder what the hype will be if we win by a few goals?
It is 3rd v 4th!
Wouldnt be surprised to see Geelong or Saints lose after all the hype this week although i must say Thommo didnt look worried about the game much as it really didnt mean anything, i believe he just wanted a close one.
Cats have the saints measure i think and so do we, Its us and the cats the real match is.

Mantis
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Wonder what the hype will be if we win by a few goals?
It is 3rd v 4th!
Wouldnt be surprised to see Geelong or Saints lose after all the hype this week although i must say Thommo didnt look worried about the game much as it really didnt mean anything, i believe he just wanted a close one.
Cats have the saints measure i think and so do we, Its us and the cats the real match is.

I can't see how that rings true at this point in time. St.Kilda have done everything right this year and if it wasn't for the aura around Geelong they would sit comfortably as the team to beat.

AndrewP6
06-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Sunday's Herald-Sun had us on the back cover.... with seemingly more focus on the Hawks loss than our win. Today's H-S had the Saints on both front and back... now that's hype! Must've been a slow news day.

ledge
06-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I can't see how that rings true at this point in time. St.Kilda have done everything right this year and if it wasn't for the aura around Geelong they would sit comfortably as the team to beat.

I did say i think it , its an opinion just a feeling i have, do gut feelings have to ring true?

AndrewP6
10-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else sense some HYPE about tonight's game? We're getting a bit of media coverage at the moment...

bornadog
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else sense some HYPE about tonight's game? We're getting a bit of media coverage at the moment...

only because Collingwood is involved

Mantis
21-07-2009, 11:50 AM
With our upcoming game against the Saints being a clash between 1st and 3rd it will be interesting to watch this week how much media attention our game grabs compared to the other big games .ie. Carl v Coll & Geel v Haw

aker39
21-07-2009, 12:36 PM
With our upcoming game against the Saints being a clash between 1st and 3rd it will be interesting to watch this week how much media attention our game grabs compared to the other big games .ie. Carl v Coll & Geel v Haw

I know which of those 3 games will get the most attention.

Mantis
21-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I know which of those 3 games will get the most attention.

The scum v The filth?