PDA

View Full Version : Hope for Hall.

chef
04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Hope for Hall
Christian Nicolussi | July 04, 2009 12:00am

THE Western Bulldogs have again emerged as a possible saviour for Barry Hall, with the club leaving the door ajar next season for the Sydney bad boy. In the same week 11 rival clubs said they would not bother to pursue 32-year-old Hall - on the nose at Sydney after he belted Adelaide's Ben Rutten and earned another two-match ban - the Dogs refused to rule out the idea of Hall being at Whitten Oval in 2010.

Hall himself used his Sydney newspaper column yesterday to make explosive claims that he could immediately quit Sydney and play on elsewhere next year.

"Could now be the right time for me to finish up at the Swans?" Hall wrote.

"It could give me a break that I might benefit from, and freshen me up for a crack with a new club next season."

The Bulldogs' flirtation with Hall goes back to last year's trading period and they are still in need of a key forward to complement their attack.

Related LinksVote: Would you want Barry at your club?
Tough love: Kirk's conversation with Hall
Round 14: All the team selections
Football manager James Fantasia this week repeated the Dogs' interest in the controversial figure.

"You can never say never, especially a player of his quality," Fantasia said.

"With ageing players, they'd need a strong medical and make sure all the boxes are ticked.

"He played pretty well the other day (against Adelaide) and most opposition sides still have a healthy respect for him. We wouldn't rule it out, but that also doesn't mean we'll be overly aggressive (in signing Hall) either."

Sydney coach Paul Roos said yesterday he wasn't surprised Hall was considering walking out on the Swans.

"I genuinely stand here and I don't know what's going to happen, and I think that's what Barry is saying in his article," Roos said.

"It's just a natural thing for him to think about, all those sorts of things that were mentioned in the paper."

Roos said the club would make a decision on Hall's future before the Round 16 game against Carlton, when Hall returned from his latest suspension.

He described the hard man as a "revered figure" at the Swans.

"Whatever happens, we'll certainly take into consideration Barry Hall as well as the footy club," Roos said.

"I want a positive outcome for the footy club and for Barry Hall.

"If he plays again next year and it doesn't happen to be at this football club, I'll be the first one to ring him and wish him all the best."

Hall revealed in his weekly newspaper column that he seriously considered retiring after the Rutten incident.

But, after talking to teammate Leo Barry and his family, the veteran forward changed his mind.

"The easy thing to do would be to walk away and take up boxing. But what would I be? Barry Hall the boxer, but also Barry Hall the disgraced ex-footballer," he wrote.

"The perception of me might not change drastically between now and when I do finish up, but I want to go out with some good games under my belt and prove my worth as a footy player."

I'm starting to warm to the idea.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Welsh retires for Hall... hmmm.

Rocket seemed to be the only coach who could keep his head on straight. If Eade thinks he can do it again and Grant and Cordy need more time, a big forward so they can play out of the pocket of flank, the Hall in the PSD for someone we got from the PSD could be ok.

Strictly performance based contract only.

Then i'd warm to the idea too.

Desipura
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Unlike some poeple, I have always been open minded about obtaining Hall. Don't tell me he is not good for at least 50 goals as well as making others stand taller. He will receive quality disposal from our midfield and has not had any major injuries in recent times.

LostDoggy
04-07-2009, 11:27 AM
It worries me we are willing to take him. The only way it could work would be the performance based contract as bulldogtragic said. If Welsh was retiring I guess it would be nice to have him for a couple of years..but its such a risk. :/

Desipura
04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
It worries me we are willing to take him. The only way it could work would be the performance based contract as bulldogtragic said. If Welsh was retiring I guess it would be nice to have him for a couple of years..but its such a risk. :/
Name me a rich person who did not take a risk?

strebla
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
This is a risk that we must make for the devolpment of the kids and for a crack at the flag he will need a short leash but I believe Rocet can handle him.

The Pie Man
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd take him in the PSD in a heartbeat - if it doesn't work out, twas worth a try.

Forgetting the silly biff he's handed out in frustration, he's still playing good footy. Cooney or Murphy onto his chest 35 out, not a bad thought.

LostDoggy
04-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I wasn't to sure about this, but maybe it could work.

Plus, he would teach the young guys an enormous amount.

Desipura
04-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Plus, he would touch the young guys an enormous amount.
Look, Im all for him playing for us, however that is going too far.

comrade
04-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Plus, he would touch the young guys an enormous amount.

Michael Jackson thread :D

LostDoggy
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry guys, teach. :p

BornInDroopSt'54
04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Unlike some poeple, I have always been open minded about obtaining Hall. Don't tell me he is not good for at least 50 goals as well as making others stand taller. He will receive quality disposal from our midfield and has not had any major injuries in recent times.

As you said on the other thread, his punching is probably a result of frustration at poor delivery and a game plan that doesn't suit him. With our boys hitting him on the chest and in front of his outstretched arms, he'll be sweet natured. He'll have something to prove, as he says in the article:
"The easy thing to do would be to walk away and take up boxing. But what would I be? Barry Hall the boxer, but also Barry Hall the disgraced ex-footballer".
I don't know about him touching "the young guys an enormous amount" but he would bring a lot to a club he apparently supported before he played AFL.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Michael Jackson thread :D
:) That is just wrong on so many levels.

But on a more serious note, now that he is dead, do we revert to back to making Gary Glitter references in this realm of behaviour?

The Coon Dog
04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Rocket & Plugger thrived together when most felt he couldn't be controlled.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I posted a fair bit on BigFooty in the days following the Adelaide game in support of having a strong look at Hall.

The main point I made is that we can't chase him hard. If we have to work hard to convince him to pick us over boxing, I think he will be a failure.

What Hall needs to be looking from us isn't money but redemption and I don't think there's a club that can potentially offer that more than us.

I loved this from Hall....

"The easy thing to do would be to walk away and take up boxing. But what would I be? Barry Hall the boxer, but also Barry Hall the disgraced ex-footballer," he wrote.

"The perception of me might not change drastically between now and when I do finish up, but I want to go out with some good games under my belt and prove my worth as a footy player."

He is still putting up quality KP forward numbers. Last year he averaged the highest amount of contested marks and this season he is in the top 10 for total contested marks in the league despite missing a couple of games. He has kicked 31 goals from 10 games this year.

I don't think we will face strong opposition to get Hall. You would probably have to be a contender that also doesn't have a KP forward to be interested in him and I don't think there are many other teams that fall into that category. That's a point that drove me slightly batty when discussing it with other BF posters. The notion that it's going to destroy the structure of our list because he is too old. Getting in older players only hurt the structure of your list if you give up an early pick or they are holding another player in a similar position back. The Swans seem desperate to get rid of him, Roos and Kirk prompting him to retire. I also don't think he would be holding anyone back as our KP forward prospects would probably be used sparingly anyway next year. I actually believe it would benefit someone like Grant to learn from a quality KP forward and be given some freedom when he plays alongside him.

Dazza
04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm all for it. Our structure would be complete for at least one year and it would enable us to develop our young forwards. The only issue I would have is if the playing group felt like we shouldn't go after him. Could be a bit of animosity. But then again... we do have a bloke named Akermanis on our list.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Rocket & Plugger thrived together when most felt he couldn't be controlled.

I was just saying that to my partner!

Barry Hall is like a the super rebellious student and Eade is the teacher who understands him.

BulldogBelle
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure how much money professional boxers in Australia earn, but i'll make the assumption that they would have to be pretty good to get more than the 200-300k that we would pay Barry in his farewell season

Grant and Cordy arent ready, even if they were it would suit both of them to play alongside and learn from Barry....Barry would get the senior gorilla sized defender, whilst Lego Man and Beanpole would get the 2nd/3rd best defender...

Performance based contract, we give up a draft pick > pick 40 are my criteria for attracting him to the Whitten Oval

Rocco Jones
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how much money professional boxers in Australia earn, but i'll make the assumption that they would have to be pretty good to get more than the 200-300k that we would pay Barry in his farewell season

Grant and Cordy arent ready, even if they were it would suit both of them to play alongside and learn from Barry....Barry would get the senior gorilla sized defender, whilst Lego Man and Beanpole would get the 2nd/3rd best defender...

Performance based contract, we give up a draft pick > pick 40 are my criteria for attracting him to the Whitten Oval

Agree with that.

My only point is that I wouldn't want to have to out pay him. I really think it needs to primarily be about redemption for him if it's going to be a success. If we get into a price war it will be doomed before it even starts.

LostDoggy
04-07-2009, 01:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH. That is going to be what I call him forever.

And yes, I must add that you raise a good point here. As long as they don't pick up any nasty traits along the way. Actually I could never, ever picture Lego Man or Ayce knocking someone out. Unless it was unintentional.

Ehem, sorry, do continue.

AndrewP6
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
As you said on the other thread, his punching is probably a result of frustration at poor delivery and a game plan that doesn't suit him. With our boys hitting him on the chest and in front of his outstretched arms, he'll be sweet natured. .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Bazza sweet-natured? :):)

Mofra
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I believe Danny Green said a few days ago that he tried to lure Hall away last year, and Hall turned it down even though he'd earn more as a boxer.

Grant & Cordy aren't going to be ready next year to play a full season of seniors, they are in the physical development phase of their careers. Roughead is a ruck and wont be our forwardline savior.

I'm warming to the idea of Hall only if we can get him cheap. PSD would be ideal, but I wouldn't be upset to see a late pick go for him.

Mofra
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Worth mentioning that Minson, Hall & Hahn in the same forwardline at times would be one scary propositiuon for opposition backlines.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Worth mentioning that Minson, Hall & Hahn in the same forwardline at times would be one scary propositiuon for opposition backlines.
Add in Brian, Hargy's right and HUddo, and we would win most mellees.

comrade
04-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Add in Brian, Hargy's right and HUddo, and we would win most mellees.

Sam Reid and Cal Ward don't shy away from the argy-bargy either.

A few years ago we were perceived as a team of light-weight, front runners.

Now we're chock full of hard nuts - I like it.

BulldogBelle
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM

We are moving in the direction of a Geelong, team full of strong bodies, just with a few less tats and facial hair (Hudson makes up for most)

Remember in 2005 when we were the skinny, fleet footed, young and skillful Dogs....

If we get Hall next year we may end up having a similar balance of tough nuts in the team to what we had in the late 90s....remember Southern, Dent, Libba, Dimma, Jose, Kretiuk etc

I wouldnt want to pay Hall too little...I think his performances would suffer if he went from $500k at Sydney to $150k at the Dogs

We need to get the balance right...performance based incentives could work...and with some of the young guys coming out of contract we would have to be careful from a remuneration perspective, plus if Aker plays on we will have to pay him whats his worth

azabob
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Ward loves the hard stuff. In his debut game against the Saints he wasn't backwards in coming forwards in a push and shove. Last week against North he laid a couple of tackles and they were good hard tackles.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
We are moving in the direction of a Geelong, team full of strong bodies, just with a few less tats and facial hair (Hudson makes up for most)

Remember in 2005 when we were the skinny, fleet footed, young and skillful Dogs....

If we get Hall next year we may end up having a similar balance of tough nuts in the team to what we had in the late 90s....remember Southern, Dent, Libba, Dimma, Jose, Kretiuk etc

And Stevy Kolynuik. Who took out Phil Matera i think it is. And the argy bargy first at Subi when Southern's headlock was a little too strong and Michael Gardiner's debut at the Western Oval (i think it was then). That was awesome, teams feared us and we had aplace of wind, rain and mud and no-one could play it like us. I miss that about the lawn green at Ethihad, a real home ground advantage. And i miss a really good welcoe to footy to the guy who thinks he's a superstar.

Before that i remember we were the nice team, everyone's seconf and they hoped we'd win a flag. Then overnight we went to a bunch of crazy pricks who are thugs, tag, negate and fight - and we were successful.... Then we went back to nice doggies poor old odggies agin. I for one for love to be hated, a part from Richmond it generally means you are succeeding. I like our tough edge now. Gia's tackle on Tredrea was awesome as was Higgins ripper and push back on Barry Hall. And i really loved Huddo dishing out jumped punches to all and sundry when Ward was singled out a few weeks back.

boydogs
04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Would it matter whether Welsh, Johnno and Aker kicked on for another year or not? If all 3 stay I'm not sure it would be worthwhile/affordable

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Would it matter whether Welsh, Johnno and Aker kicked on for another year or not? If all 3 stay I'm not sure it would be worthwhile/affordable
Welsh would have to retire, despite asking for another year.

If he was on Welsh's cash and some incentives, for a 4th rounder or a fringe player. They do well taking players that can't crack it. Perhaps they could turn Skipper into a part time ruck to help Jolley and use Skip an Jesse White up forward for some height to bring in Buchanan and Jack. ???

LostDoggy
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I really hope that we get Hall next year. Eade will get him in the right frame of mind and will get the best out of him - pretty confident on that. On the field he would give us what we have been needing for the last 3 + years - a big target up forward.
We dont want to be seen to be chasing him hard now - but i am sure that Eade has him on his radar.

BulldogBelle
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
And Stevy Kolynuik. Who took out Phil Matera i think it is. And the argy bargy first at Subi when Southern's headlock was a little too strong and Michael Gardiner's debut at the Western Oval (i think it was then). That was awesome, teams feared us and we had aplace of wind, rain and mud and no-one could play it like us. I miss that about the lawn green at Ethihad, a real home ground advantage. And i miss a really good welcoe to footy to the guy who thinks he's a superstar.

Before that i remember we were the nice team, everyone's seconf and they hoped we'd win a flag. Then overnight we went to a bunch of crazy pricks who are thugs, tag, negate and fight - and we were successful.... Then we went back to nice doggies poor old odggies agin. I for one for love to be hated, a part from Richmond it generally means you are succeeding. I like our tough edge now. Gia's tackle on Tredrea was awesome as was Higgins ripper and push back on Barry Hall. And i really loved Huddo dishing out jumped punches to all and sundry when Ward was singled out a few weeks back.

Who was our coach then? Remember some guy with a suntan

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Are you suggesting Wallat was responsible for the hard in and under game game and ferocity that the players showed?

BulldogBelle
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Are you suggesting Wallat was responsible for the hard in and under game game and ferocity that the players showed?

Did we have it under Wheels?

We werent really ferocious under Joyce?

The right sort of aggression is contagious...and the expectation and vision needs to be communicated by the coach

Will be interesting to see what would happen if Hall comes over re our aggression

He was a Bulldog supporter as a child

KT31
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Before that i remember we were the nice team, everyone's second and they hoped we'd win a flag.

Problem with being nice and eveyones second team is that we never could win a flag and become everybodys first team.
Nice teams don't win flags, hard teams win flags.

Sockeye Salmon
04-07-2009, 05:17 PM

It would be scarier for Bulldog fans watching the ball being run out our forward line with ease.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Problem with being nice and eveyones second team is that we never could win a flag and become everybodys first team.
Nice teams don't win flags, hard teams win flags.
Exactly. Unsociable is the in vogue term i think. I hate being everyones second team. I liked when we were hated and the Western Oval was a certain loss, certain injuries and the od cold shower.

strebla
05-07-2009, 01:16 AM
I too hate oh the Bulldogs are my second team my response is that does not equate to membership so I don't care.Talking of hard and tough Doggies no-one has mentioned Steve Wallis pound for pound the toughest bloke I have seen on a footy field

The Coon Dog
05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Smorgon says Dogs may be interested in Hall (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/smorgon-dogs-may-grab-hall/2009/07/04/1246127735726.html)

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has thrown his support behind the club snaring a "top-line tall" such as disgruntled Sydney forward Barry Hall, who is currently serving a two-match suspension for striking.

And the Bulldogs could be the only Victorian club willing to give Hall a lifeline to return home, with the other nine clubs contacted by The Sunday Age yesterday showing little interest in gambling on the 32-year-old.

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said the club "only trades for players that can play at least 100 games", while Melbourne football manager Chris Connolly said Hall "doesn't fit into the club's demographics which we're pretty public about".

Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda all signalled they would follow the trend of building young lists to challenge for premierships.

North Melbourne and Richmond say they will wait for the appointment of their new coaches, but spokesman for both clubs say it is "unlikely".

Smorgon urged the Bulldogs last September to recruit a quality tall forward, after the gap became evident when they bowed out in a preliminary final against Geelong.

But the club failed in its attempt to attract "anyone worthwhile", Smorgon said.

"We're not going to draft someone that is anything less than top shelf or a top-line tall," he said. "We went through every player available from every club and there wasn't one key forward there that was worthwhile drafting.

"We weren't going to fall for the trick of recruiting a second- or third-level player hoping that he might come good."

Hall claimed in Friday's Age that he could quit Sydney and play elsewhere next season.

"Could now be the right time for me to finish at the Swans," Hall wrote.

He also wrote he didn't want to retire and aimed to "prove his worth as a footy player".

"The easy thing to do would be to walk away and take up boxing. But what would I be?" he said.

"Barry Hall the boxer, but also Barry Hall the disgraced ex-footballer."

With Hall possibly on the market, Smorgon and football manager James Fantasia said the club would be open for talks at the end of the season.

"What we are saying is never say never," Fantasia told The Sunday Age. "Right now he's not on the radar.

"When it's all said and done, we'll look at what's available at the end of the season and what the prices are and put it all together."

Fantasia said the Bulldogs piled up on developing key position prospects in last year's draft.

"We focused on that last year in the draft with players 190cm-plus height, with Jordan Roughead, Ayce Cordy and Jarrad Grant. We've got ourselves a variety of young players that will fill those roles," he said.

Smorgon said he admired Hall's match-winning ability.

"I've always admired his ability to kick goals," he said.

"He's unquestionably, with the amount of goals he's kicked, a top-line player.

"If we need a top-line forward in 2010 and going forward, then that's left up to the experts to make those decisions.

"He's been a top-line player for a number of years at the Sydney Swans, but he's getting on in age and I'll leave it to those footy experts to judge whether he's got a future or not."

He also believed the Bulldogs could be the right environment for an ill-disciplined Hall, given the club's influence on Jason Akermanis.

But the president still believes the Bulldogs could win a flag with their current squad, minus a definitive full-forward.

"We're travelling very nicely at the moment, we're second in terms of goals and our forward line is working very well," he said.

Hall accepted a two-match ban for striking Adelaide defender Ben Rutten, taking his career tally of matches missed through suspension to 26.

Sydney coach Paul Roos also questioned Hall's commitment to football after the incident.

"At some point, always the club is bigger than the individual."

Throughandthrough
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
+ 1 from me.

The Coon Dog
06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
With Dogs so menacing, who needs Barry Hall? (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25736652-19742,00.html)

WESTERN Bulldogs gun half-forward Shaun Higgins doubts the club will chase out-of-favour Sydney spearhead Barry Hall.

The Bulldogs are believed to be the only club open to trading for Hall.

But Higgins, 21, felt the Dogs' 88-point demolition of Hawthorn, which sets up a "massive" match against Collingwood on Friday night, would help close the door on any speculation.

He said the team's precision kicking and selflessness in attack was more important than having a big-name spearhead.

"Outside of the club, there's a lot of big talk that we need a tall forward, but we don't believe that at all," Higgins said.

"Our forward line is working well and the way that we use the footy. If we can keep doing that, there is no need for the tall forward.

"And we are working well as a forward group, so we are not worried about getting a big forward at all."

Hall's future is unclear after he suggested last week he had considered retiring or switching clubs on the back of his latest suspension.

Showing a more balanced forward approach, the Dogs scored from 38 of their 52 inside-50s at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night, demoralising Hawthorn's premiership defence.

Coming into the round, the Dogs had the second-best attack in the competition and they underlined that with 10 goalkickers.

In-form midfielder Adam Cooney said yesterday the 13-goal first half was special.

"It's probably the best first half I've been involved in since I've been at the club," he said.

But the focus at Whitten Oval has quickly turned to Collingwood and a battle that could determine which side finishes in third place behind St Kilda and Geelong.

"It's a massive game for us next week against Collingwood to try to secure a top-four spot. Collingwood is knocking on the door behind us," Higgins said.

"We will worry about Geelong and St Kilda later in the year.

"We have got to make sure we get the recovery right this week because we have got a short week coming up and Collingwood, over the last month, has played some really good footy.

"We have got to do our homework on them."

Higgins, who is out of contract at the end of the season and among Gold Coast's most wanted, said the players took a lot of confidence out of the win against the Hawks.

"Obviously considering what they were able to do last year -- and they have got a similar list -- we were expecting a tough game," he said.

"They have been down the past few weeks. We knew they would come out strong, so to put on the first quarter (nine goals to nil) that we did was pleasing."

He praised the team's kicking efficiency and finishing skills, but he said its tackling and toughness was even more important to its success.

Higgins said the work on pressure tactics in the past few years, and particularly in the pre-season, was paying off.

"We have come from a long way back in terms of defensive skills in the last few years," he said.

"We put a big emphasis on it in the pre-season.

"It's been a massive jump. That's what wins you games these days.

"Hawthorn has obviously built its game on hardness around the footy and stoppages in the last few years.

"But we are right up there now with hardball gets and clearances, which is pleasing."

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
If we don't win the Premiership this year, then yes, draft him on a performance based contract - he would be a good teacher for our younger players in the forward line.

Happy Days
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not against the proposition of recruiting Barry. It's not like he's a complete and utter spud at AFL-level (case in point: his bag against us), and when teamed with the delivery our mids could give him, he would become a serious asset to our team.

Having said that, I wouldn't be willing to give up any form of a draft pick for him, given all of the concessions coming up to the Gold Coast and (potentially) Western Sydney. As we have proved with players like Hill, Lake, and even Chris Grant, there is still alot of value left around the low-end picks. I can't see us getting in the PSD either, as we should use all of our picks up.

The only way I would be happy with this trade would be if it were a straight swap, either for (preferrably) Skipper, as the Swans need a second ruckman and we don't really need a fourth, or, failing that, for DFA, as he is a Sydneysider and Harbrow and Callan have moved ahead of him for that back pocket position.

Remi Moses
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Smorgon says Dogs may be interested in Hall (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/smorgon-dogs-may-grab-hall/2009/07/04/1246127735726.html)

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has thrown his support behind the club snaring a "top-line tall" such as disgruntled Sydney forward Barry Hall, who is currently serving a two-match suspension for striking.

And the Bulldogs could be the only Victorian club willing to give Hall a lifeline to return home, with the other nine clubs contacted by The Sunday Age yesterday showing little interest in gambling on the 32-year-old.

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said the club "only trades for players that can play at least 100 games", while Melbourne football manager Chris Connolly said Hall "doesn't fit into the club's demographics which we're pretty public about".

Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St Kilda all signalled they would follow the trend of building young lists to challenge for premierships.

North Melbourne and Richmond say they will wait for the appointment of their new coaches, but spokesman for both clubs say it is "unlikely".

Smorgon urged the Bulldogs last September to recruit a quality tall forward, after the gap became evident when they bowed out in a preliminary final against Geelong.

But the club failed in its attempt to attract "anyone worthwhile", Smorgon said.

"We're not going to draft someone that is anything less than top shelf or a top-line tall," he said. "We went through every player available from every club and there wasn't one key forward there that was worthwhile drafting.

"We weren't going to fall for the trick of recruiting a second- or third-level player hoping that he might come good."

Hall claimed in Friday's Age that he could quit Sydney and play elsewhere next season.

"Could now be the right time for me to finish at the Swans," Hall wrote.

He also wrote he didn't want to retire and aimed to "prove his worth as a footy player".

"The easy thing to do would be to walk away and take up boxing. But what would I be?" he said.

"Barry Hall the boxer, but also Barry Hall the disgraced ex-footballer."

With Hall possibly on the market, Smorgon and football manager James Fantasia said the club would be open for talks at the end of the season.

"What we are saying is never say never," Fantasia told The Sunday Age. "Right now he's not on the radar.

"When it's all said and done, we'll look at what's available at the end of the season and what the prices are and put it all together."

Fantasia said the Bulldogs piled up on developing key position prospects in last year's draft.

"We focused on that last year in the draft with players 190cm-plus height, with Jordan Roughead, Ayce Cordy and Jarrad Grant. We've got ourselves a variety of young players that will fill those roles," he said.

Smorgon said he admired Hall's match-winning ability.

"I've always admired his ability to kick goals," he said.

"He's unquestionably, with the amount of goals he's kicked, a top-line player.

"If we need a top-line forward in 2010 and going forward, then that's left up to the experts to make those decisions.

"He's been a top-line player for a number of years at the Sydney Swans, but he's getting on in age and I'll leave it to those footy experts to judge whether he's got a future or not."

He also believed the Bulldogs could be the right environment for an ill-disciplined Hall, given the club's influence on Jason Akermanis.

But the president still believes the Bulldogs could win a flag with their current squad, minus a definitive full-forward.

"We're travelling very nicely at the moment, we're second in terms of goals and our forward line is working very well," he said.

Hall accepted a two-match ban for striking Adelaide defender Ben Rutten, taking his career tally of matches missed through suspension to 26.

Sydney coach Paul Roos also questioned Hall's commitment to football after the incident.

"At some point, always the club is bigger than the individual."

The sub editor licence right there! the headline completely distorts the story,as David Smorgon says these decisions are made by the Football dept!!:rolleyes:

Stefcep
06-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Why do we need another option to goal when we are only 10 points behind the highest scoring team in the AFL? Whereas our defense has conceded the 5th most of the top 5? Thats 400 points more than St Kilda. I agree with Higgins: defense is where games are won and lost. We don't need Hall, we need a genuine tall strong centre half back.

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Would have said yes last year, but not now. He's proven he can't control himself when he gets wound up - and the reason why it's happened more frequently this season is because opponents have caught onto it. At 33, we don't need another retiree on our books. It's all about developing our kids for key position roles, and I'm hoping our footy department agrees.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Surely for a PSD pick, incentive contract, which allowing Grant and Cordy (hopefully) to play more of a flank/pocket against the lesser backman, its worth a shot. Move him on after a year of redemption and give Grant and Cordy the main stage and introduce Liam Jones with Roughy and WIlbut dropping back.

Boy our game plan is going to change when we have a tall forward line. Perhaps Malcolm Lynch as a crumbing forward will be spared to see how the talls develop.

boydogs
06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Perhaps Malcolm Lynch as a crumbing forward will be spared to see how the talls develop.

Interesting point. Our best crumbers at the moment are probably Aker (retiring soon) and Harbrow (excelling in defense). Not sure who could be our Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Lindsay Thomas etc. underneath Hall and/or our young talls

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
:rolleyes:

Fair dinkum, I bet you lot also give out your hard-earned to "homeless" people who end up spending it on smack. Hall will be 34 soon, his track record isn't even that good when he's not throwing his fists around. I very much doubt we'll go for him, and would see it as a waste of time/money if we did. He has one eye on a boxing career already, which will be interesting because the coward will finally front up against people who HIT HIM BACK.

Desipura
07-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Fair dinkum, I bet you lot also give out your hard-earned to "homeless" people who end up spending it on smack.
Poor example buddy

Sedat
07-07-2009, 12:48 PM
We're not talking about Tim Boyle, Mark Bolton, Ken McGregor, or [insert shit tall that opposition clubs foolishly think the Dogs will fall over themselves to pick up]. We are talking about one of the best key forwards of the past decade, a premiership captain who has been an absolutely pivotal player at his current club during their successful recent era. Not to mention the fact that we were into him big time 9 months ago but could not come to terms with Sydney as he was still under contract.

Sydney have never been a silky skilled team even at their peak, yet Hall repeatedly worked his ass off and provided a fantastic target that always commanded the opposition's best defender, thereby making someone like Micky O far more dangerous on lesser opposition. Well we have 3-4 Micky O's in our current structure that need serious attention.

By all means question his age, his anger-related attitude and his genuine passion to play AFL in 2010-2011, but you cannot question his ability nor his training and preparation professionalism.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm not questioning any of those things. I've questioned the other aspects of his character, which the Bulldogs football department will have to weigh up on equal terms when making a decision like this. One of the best key forwards in the past decade? He's been good (at times), but I think you're overstating it.

Mofra
07-07-2009, 01:46 PM
One of the best key forwards in the past decade? He's been good (at times), but I think you're overstating it.
Can you name 10 that have been better? I doubt I could.

Rocco Jones
07-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Spot on.

He is still demonstrating that he is a quality KP. Last year he averaged the highest amount of contested marks and is still in the top ten this year. He has averaged about 3 goals a game this season.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM

In the past 10 years? No problem. Quite a few key forwards that have won flags and kicked 100 goals or close to it in the past few years.

Pavlich, Brown, Lloyd, Lucas, Franklin, Tredrae, Fevola, Richardson, Riewoldt, Roughead. All better players than Barry Hall over the course of the last 10 years. I'd probably even add Koszitsche, Bradshaw and Rocca who when fit in the past have been more than serviceable.

All this is beside the point though. He isn't worth recycling. Our players know it, and hopefully the footy department also knows it (now). Yes it would have been lovely last season, but a fair bit of murky water has flowed under the bridge since then. He's had one, perhaps two good games this season. He's not going to stop being a loose cannon, and he's obviously got one eye on a boxing career ...

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Interesting - http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/07/07/1246732320380.html

aker39
07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Looks like he'll be available

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/07/07/1246732320380.html

The playing future of Swans' spearhead Barry Hall will be announced in the next hour with the premiership-winning captain expected to reveal he has ended his career at the club, effective immediately.

The Swans have called a press conference at their SCG headquarters for this afternoon, which both Hall and coach Paul Roos will attend. The two parties have spent the past 10 days discussing what would be best option for both after Hall was suspended for striking Adelaide's Ben Rutten last Saturday week.

While it is unknown exactly what will be announced, and there are several ways the club and Hall can go, the Herald believes Hall has decided - not to retire from football entirely - but to amicably leave the club now, meaning one of the most popular players in the club's 27-year history in Sydney, has played his last game in the red and white.

Only last week in his column in the Herald, Hall made it clear he did not want to retire, and did not want his career to end this way, but conceded he may have to consider walking away, taking a break and then hopefully be picked up by another club next season. It is believed this is the avenue he has chosen.

"I don't want to retire because I feel I still have some good footy left in me, I honestly believe that and my plan at this stage is to be an AFL player in 2010," he wrote last week. "So I could stay here at the club, hope they don't sack me, and return to footy in two weeks after my suspension, be it in the seniors or the seconds.

"But the other option I need to also seriously consider and one which naturally would be a massive decision to make, is, could now be the right time for me finish up at the Swans?

"By that I don't mean retirement. I mean walk away from the club not footy! It could give me a break I might benefit from, and freshen me up for a crack with a new club next season, and at the same time give the club a break from Barry Hall, and take the pressure off them a bit in terms of what they should do with me.

"Difficult? Yes incredibly difficult, and that would be a tough call to make, but it's certainly something I must consider. I've loved my time at the Swans, with my mates we achieved the ultimate of winning a flag and I have always expected to finish my playing days here, but, it doesn't always work out that way. I'm not saying it won't, but sometimes you have to do what's best for yourself."

Hall has played 162 matches for the Swans since switching from St Kilda at the end of the 2001 season. The Adelaide game, which will now be his final in Swans colours, was celebrating his 250th senior game as an AFL player.

After his latest indiscretion, Roos had suggested that Hall clearly didn't look like someone who wanted to play football, and added that perhaps his mind may be on making the switch to a boxing career. Hall emphatically quashed those ideas last week.

"I know there has been speculation that this may be it and I've lost the desire and maybe should retire, but I can tell you that's certainly not the case," he told the Herald a week ago. "I don't care what other people might think, I still want to play footy, I'm still passionate about the game, and I'm still focused on playing footy.

"I'm not thinking about a career in boxing at the moment. I know from the past if your mind is on other things you don't play well at all. My mind is totally on footy and I reckon that has been indicated by the way I have been performing, and I think playing on last weekend when I could hardly run because of my injury may have indicated I do actually want to be at the footy club, that I want to be out there for my teammates, and I'm giving my all every time I go out there."

As for the future, the Western Bulldogs, ironically a club Hall supported as a child, appear the most likely to take a punt on the forward next season. They showed interest in Hall at trade time last year, and only last weekend in the Sunday Age, their president David Smorgon threw his support the club snaring a top line forward such as Hall.

"I've always admired his ability to kick goals," Smorgon said of Hall. "He's unquestionably, with the amount of goals he's kicked, a top-line player. If we need a top-line forward in 2010 and going forward, then that's left up to the experts to make those decisions.

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree with most of what has been said and would probably point those with doubt in the direction of Gardiner. The bloke was arguably a looser unit than Hall and given a new club and opportunity has been very good. He was quite brilliant on Sunday.

I guess change is as good as a holiday. It can help refocus, re-enthuse and sometimes just make a player pull their socks up and head in. Byron Pickett is another good example of a player whose form and attitude would really lift every time he started at a new club. He would just lose it after a few years when he started to get comfortable again.

I would hope that if we did get him that he is able to play out this year. Extended breaks for aging superstars often mean a disappointing next year ala Cousins, Carey and Aker.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
If he doesn't play the rest of this season - it would add further weight to the argument that it would be a waste of time and money for our club to pursue him.

Sedat
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Pavlich, Brown, Lloyd, Lucas, Franklin, Tredrae, Fevola, Richardson, Riewoldt, Roughead. All better players than Barry Hall over the course of the last 10 years. I'd probably even add Koszitsche, Bradshaw and Rocca who when fit in the past have been more than serviceable....
Since Hall's arrival at the Swans, only Brown and Riewoldt have been consistently better in the key forward role than Hall. Lloyd comes close but has dropped right away in the last 2-3 seasons, ditto Lucas and Tredrea. Pavlich, as purely a key forward, has not matched Hall (he has been a key defender and midfielder for a fair chunk of this decade). Richo was wildly inconsistent throughout the first 5 years of the decade - Fev is wildly inconsistent by the minute and has zero interest on team ethos or defensive work rate. As for Roughead and Franklin, 18 months does not match 7-8 years of consistent quality output - let's judge these two in 5 years time. Bradshaw has been reasonable but not at Hall's level. Kosi has had 5 great games in 05 and a quality half season in 09 to date to camouflage nearly 6 years of mediocrity. Rocca has been finished for quite some time, and even at his peak was very inconsistent.

I have grave reservations on Hall because of his age and subsequently increased susceptibility to soft tissue injuries, and his genuine desire to play the game moving forward. But I have no reservations at all about his skill as a top shelf KP forward, his phenomenal work rate and his desire to work extremely hard defensivelty in the key forward role. Sydney has taught him some fantastic team-oriented habits that some of the others you've listed can only dream of.

Mofra
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Pavlich, Brown, Lloyd, Lucas, Franklin, Tredrae, Fevola, Richardson, Riewoldt, Roughead. All better players than Barry Hall over the course of the last 10 years. I'd probably even add Koszitsche, Bradshaw and Rocca who when fit in the past have been more than serviceable.
Disagree on the bolded types.

Roughead & Franklin have the potential, but 1 good season doesn't match a decade of performance.
Brown has never had Hall's consistency, generally due injury.
I never rated Tredrea as highly as some, I would take Hall overall.

In any case, you'd have to agree Hall's name sits comfortably amongst those types. He is a gun who could do a job for us for one year whilst Grant & Cordy develop.

Mofra
07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
If he doesn't play the rest of this season - it would add further weight to the argument that it would be a waste of time and money for our club to pursue him.
Why? A break could do him good. He relies of physicality more than an Aker who relies on skilsl & smarts, so an extended break would arguably effect him less (and possibly freshen him up).

The Pie Man
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
He's officially quit the Swans

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25746020-5018851,00.html

Barry Hall, Sydney Swans go separate ways after colourful AFL relationship

By staff writers
July 07, 2009

Sydney Swans spearhead and premiership-winning skipper Barry Hall has quit the club after a controversial recent history littered with on-field misdemeanours.

“I think the easiest thing to do is to tell myself 'I am playing good football and don’t want to desert my teammates', but the issue is a lot bigger than that. ” – Barry Hall The full-forward explains his reasons for quitting Sydney Swans. Hall, who played 162 matches with the Swans after 88 games at St Kilda, announced his decision to leave the club alongside coach Paul Roos at the club's SCG headquarters on Tuesday afternoon.

Hall will pursue an AFL extension elsewhere in 2010, with Western Bulldogs the early leader for his services given their lack of a tall forward. The Dogs, however, are enjoying success without a focal point.

Hall is currently serving a two-match suspension for striking Adelaide Crows defender Ben Rutten.

Hall and Roos met on Monday to discuss the future of Hall. It is understood it was then both parties agreed a split was necessary.

"The decision I have made is not just about me," Hall said.

"It is about this football club, my teammates, my family, my partner and my close friends. Ultimately they have suffered grief over some of my wrongdoings, and I have to take them into consideration.

"I think the easiest thing to do is to tell myself ‘I am playing good football and don’t want to desert my teammates’, but the issue is a lot bigger than that.

"So over the last few days, I have stepped back and tried to look at it as an outsider and control what I can control, which has led me to this decision.

"I am forever indebted to this footy club. I have no doubt I wouldn’t even be playing the game if it wasn’t for the club, and, despite what has happened, I still think I am walking away from the club a better person than when I walked in.

"There are so many people I need to thank and I will in good time. But special mention has to go to Stan Alves, who was my first coach and gave me the opportunity to play, to the St Kilda Football Club who drafted me, and then obviously to Sydney. To the supporters, members, players, coaches and all those who have taken an interest in my career, thank you.

"The next step for me is unclear, but in time I will work through it."

Not only a crowd favourite but also a staunch favourite among the playing group and coaching staff; Hall will be missed following this amicable decision.

"t is definitely a sad day for the Sydney Swans Football Club," Roos said.

"One of our greatest ever players has decided to retire, but I also think it must be a time of celebration, to reflect on what has been an outstanding career.

"As his coach for the last six years, I will remember Hally as one of the genuine superstars of the game. His ability to be a match winner enabled him to take us to the level of the 2005 premiership.

"His consistent performance over those six years has allowed him to be not only a premiership captain, but a club Best and Fairest, an All-Australian, a life member and a multiple leading goalkicker at this footy club.

"What we also get to see that many others don’t is the Barry Hall off the field. He is one of the most likeable and easygoing characters that I have come across. This, despite the number of ups and downs in his career, has enabled him to remain one of the most popular figures amongst teammates and coaches.

"Barry Hall will always be a revered figure of this footy Club and whatever he chooses to do in the future we wish him all the best, and he knows he will always be welcome at the Sydney Swans."

Last year, Hall served a seven-match ban for striking West Coast utility Brent Staker and also underwent anger management counselling during a club-imposed ban.

The week he returned from that suspension, Hall received a one-game suspension for attempting to strike Collingwood opponent Shane Wakelin.

The Swans also handed him a one-week club suspension for the Wakelin incident.

Hall co-captained the Swans to their historic 2005 premiership, but he had to win a tribunal case to play in the grand final.

The Rutten incident was the 15th charge of Hall's career, which has so far featured 24 games lost through suspension.

Last year was the seventh successive season he topped Sydney's goalkicking.

The Adelaide game, which will now be his final in Swans colours, was celebrating his 250th senior game as an AFL player.

Hall hasn't made it clear whether he'd like to play at another club or pursue his long-standing interest in boxing.

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Well he has called it. Just up on AFL.com.au:

Hall calls end to career at Swans

1:01 PM Tue 07 July, 2009
BARRY HALL has played his last game as a Sydney Swan after the forward announced he was quitting the club, effetive immediately.

Hall and Swans coach Paul Roos announced the decision at a media conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Hall offered a hint to his intentions in his Fairfax newspaper column last week, floating the idea of leaving the Swans to further his AFL career.

He told the club website that the decision had been made with the Swans' best interests in mind.

“The decision I have made is not just about me. It is about this football club, my teammates, my family, my partner and my close friends,” Hall told sydneyswans.com.au.

“Ultimately they have suffered grief over some of my wrongdoings and I have to take them into consideration.

“I think the easiest thing to do is to tell myself ‘I am playing good football and don’t want to desert my teammates’, but the issue is a lot bigger than that.

“So over the last few days I have stepped back and tried to look at it as an outsider and control what I can control, which has led me to this decision."

Hall was non-comittal on the issue of playing on at another club in 2010.

“The next step for me is unclear, but in time I will work through it.”

Roos said the decision was a mutual one and that relationships between Hall and the club remained amicable.

“It is definitely a sad day for the Sydney Swans football club; one of our greatest ever players has decided to retire, but I also think it must be a time of celebration, to reflect on what has been an outstanding career,” he told the club website.

“Barry Hall will always be a revered figure of this footy club and whatever he chooses to do in the future we wish him all the best ... He knows he will always be welcome at the Sydney Swans.”

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
You must have the quicker trigger finger Pie man :)

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I say get Barry Hall. Is it possible to recruit someone on a one year contract or is there a minimum length?

mighty_west
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Why? A break could do him good. He relies of physicality more than an Aker who relies on skilsl & smarts, so an extended break would arguably effect him less (and possibly freshen him up).

I agree, i also agree that he definatly stands up amongst the best key forwards over the past decade.

I am all for getting Hall, now that we won't be selling our soul for him, alot of people had reservations about Aker & his selfish ways at Brisbane, wasn't a team player, disrupted their cause with his strong opinions etc etc, yet Aker has been sensational at the Dogs on many levels, not just the on field player, but the status at the club, the way he has helped the younger players, i believe he had a big influence on Cooney.

Hall could have a similar effect in helping develop the likes of Grant, Jones & Cordy, he definalty has a big profile and he COULD very well be the difference between an good side and a great side next season, whilst our window is open with the likes of Johnno, Eagleton, Aker, Huddo etc still playing a major role.

Desipura
07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
He would be more useful than the 38th player on our list. He would not be in big money.

Sedat
07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/hall-quits-swans-73567

His availability is all academic by the sounds:
Asked whether he would like to play on next season, Hall said, "No, that's it for me".