PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Hargrave - All Australian?

The Coon Dog
05-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Is the form being displayed this season by Ryan Hargrave good enough to earn him an All Australian?

He is getting a lot of the ball each week & using it very well. That annoying habit of giving away cheap free kicks has disappeared too.

It gets annoying that midfielders who can't be squeezed into a midfield spot get selected an a half back/forward in the AA team, so it sort of reduces it down to 5 spots.

I think if he keeps playing as he has been he'll be hard to ignore.

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Going by the fact that most of the media don't know who he is and call him Hargraves I doubt he would even be thought of. :(

AndrewP6
05-07-2009, 12:48 AM
For mine, he's got to be banging on the door, surely... if selected, will they get his surname right?

angelopetraglia
05-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Has to be in the mix.

He has had a sensational year. Very consistent and rarely beaten.

As you have said, he is using the ball so well this year. He is backing himself, taking players on and using the ball creatively.

This year he is averaging 24.1 disposals per game (his previous best season was last year and that was 18.4).

Importantly he is also averaging two tackles per game that is also his career best.

His frees against are averaging 0.4 per game. 2008 = 1 per game. 2007 = 1.5 per game. So as stated, he has clearly improved in this area.

boydogs
05-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Tough competition for non-KP defender spots, a few Saints would have to be in the mix given how few points their defense has conceded. I would say an outside chance. Good to have such an impressive defense with Lake also in All Australian contention and Morris and Gilbee who have been selected in the past

strebla
05-07-2009, 01:05 AM
He has steadilly inproved for 4 years now and is so hardworking and honest it will be hard for them to overlook him

The Pie Man
05-07-2009, 01:34 AM
You'd like to think he'd be vying with the likes of Sam Fisher for back flank spots. A good measure of how valuable someone is is how much you miss them when not there - we really missed Shaggy earlier in the year, especially against Geelong.

Would absolutely be worthy of a spot

hujsh
05-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Is the form being displayed this season by Ryan Hargrave good enough to earn him an All Australian?

It's good enough for him to get it next year.

lemmon
05-07-2009, 01:40 AM
I taped and watched the channel 10 coverage and it was mentioned that he'd only had 12 or 13 goals kicked on him this year, amazing statistic. The only thing stopping him for grabbing an AA selection is his relatively low profile in the media.

Remi Moses
05-07-2009, 03:48 AM
career best form,noticed more composure and less panic in his game.Disposal has been excellent this season.

Jasper
05-07-2009, 09:16 AM

He is getting a lot of the ball each week & using it very well. That annoying habit of giving away cheap free kicks has disappeared too.

It gets annoying that midfielders who can't be squeezed into a midfield spot get selected an a half back/forward in the AA team, so it sort of reduces it down to 5 spots.

I think if he keeps playing as he has been he'll be hard to ignore.

While that was annoying I think we all understand that it because he was more than often pitted against vastly bigger opponents. Now that he has been used more on the mids or smaller guys his form and confidence have seen become a damaging player.
All Australian selection is a distinct possibility.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Should have got the nod rather than Dale last year (Dale should have got it the year before, but then the AA selectors have almost always been a year behind).

Should be one of the first picked, I would have thought.

dog town
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
The team is a farce if he is not in it. Has been absolutely amazing since about round 7 last season. Forget this in the mix business because as SS said he should be one of the first picked.

BulldogBelle
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
For mine, he's got to be banging on the door, surely... if selected, will they get his surname right?

His surname is even printed incorrectly...see...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/matchreport/Fierce-Dogs-savage-Hawks/2009/07/04/1246127741705.html?page=2

If he was a Collingwood or Essendon player the general public would know what he has for breakfast every morning, his middle name and his first pets name

Rocco Jones
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
An absolute joke if he isn't. He is both keeping opponents quiet and smashing them the other way week in, week out. Definitely one of the first picked.

bornadog
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
The only thing stopping him for grabbing an AA selection is his relatively low profile in the media.

And that is what is precisely wrong with the award. He should have been picked last year and he should be picked this year.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I think his start to 2008 wasn't great to be honest but his from about round 7 as DT mentioned has been amazing.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Avering 30 stats in setting up plays from defence. How many posters (such as I) have been begging for people to get off his back a few years ago when he got gorilla forwards each week and wanted him to play further up the ground in a more attacking way. Since he has been playing in the latter role, i.e. the last, month he has been one of our best.

But the selectors will go with some cliche player form St Kida or Geelong and claim well they lost the least amount of games. Same BS.

azabob
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Should have got the nod rather than Dale last year (Dale should have got it the year before, but then the AA selectors have almost always been a year behind).

Should be one of the first picked, I would have thought.

Interesting you thought Hargrave's 2008 was better than Morris's.

According to the Club B&F they thought Morris (4th) was better than Hargrave(8th)

azabob
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
And that is what is precisely wrong with the award. He should have been picked last year and he should be picked this year.

That is easy to say.
But out of last years backline and interchange bench who should've he replaced?

B: Morris Scarlett Harley
HB:Hodge Bock Sam Fisher

Interchange: Enright, Pavlich, Richardson, Sandilands

hujsh
05-07-2009, 09:19 PM
That is easy to say.
But out of last years backline and interchange bench who should've he replaced?

B: Morris Scarlett Harley
HB:Hodge Bock Sam Fisher

Interchange: Enright, Pavlich, Richardson, Sandilands

Morris or Harley. Mainly Harley