PDA

View Full Version : Sam Reid

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Thought he played ok last night, panicked at some points & made good decisions in others.

Here are his stats.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8213/samreid.png

Mofra
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
He faced off against Roughead at one point, attacked the ball & won it. I was impressed.

The only sticking point I have is his kicks hit their taregt, but they had a fair bit of flight on them. In a higher pressure game (ie finals) he'd need to reduce the flight time of his delivery.

He was unlucky a couple of times, especially that mark I thought he took on the flank that was ruled a throw in. His opponent for most of the night (McGlynn) had no influence on the game.

PS do you have his tackle stats? From an eyeball observer's point of view, I'd expect them to be much higher than expected from a 2nd gamer.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
He faced off against Roughead at one point, attacked the ball & won it. I was impressed.

The only sticking point I have is his kicks hit their taregt, but they had a fair bit of flight on them. In a higher pressure game (ie finals) he'd need to reduce the flight time of his delivery.

He was unlucky a couple of times, especially that mark I thought he took on the flank that was ruled a throw in. His opponent for most of the night (McGlynn) had no influence on the game.

PS do you have his tackle stats? From an eyeball observer's point of view, I'd expect them to be much higher than expected from a 2nd gamer.

Reid had 5 tackles.

He might not hold his place in the side for the finals but has shown enough that if does play he will hold his own.

One of Hawthorn's big problems this year is not that their kids aren't good enough, it's just that they're not ready yet. Reid looks ready.

ledge
05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Nice game i thought, remember the first few games the player has to adjust from one game plan to another, get trust from other players to give it to him as well as get the pace of the game.
If he was tagging as well, dont forget the mentioned opponents game.
Well done Sam.

azabob
05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I thought his game was good.
Perhaps better than Callan Ward's who seemed to fumble a bit even when in open space.

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Awesome game! OK game by Reid.

Can't wait for next week now.

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Has groin soreness..

May not play next week.

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Have to agree Mofra, thought his game was pretty good, but he kicked very high all the time, which as you rightly say, adds to the flight time and then makes it easier for opposition to make a contest. He certainly showed courage in taking on Roughead and I think he hurt him too. Good body size and strength. It's just great that we seem to have better depth now, with some of these young guns coming on!

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I really think the guys is capable of playing at AFL level, more so than Stack from each of the guys performances this year. The thing about this side is that it is tough to get into. We are really starting to have quality fringe players for most positions now.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 04:28 PM
We have another good kid for the midfield.

I liked his tackling and ferociousnes at the ball and man. Roughead lined him up for a hit and Reid hit him back. Reid kept his feet and kept going while Roughhead 15cm taller and 20 kg heavier, stopped and was hlding his shoulder (probably a stringer).

Over the last few years our fringe running players down there might have squibbed such a contest. Not only did he hot squib, he won against a bigger and stronger opponent. I'm not sure he'll get a rgeular game this year, when Tommy comes back someone has to make room... But we have unearhed another good kid. My only concern is that as he is a QLD kid, and highly rated by Clayton, they may look to sign him up.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I really think the guys is capable of playing at AFL level, more so than Stack from each of the guys performances this year. The thing about this side is that it is tough to get into. We are really starting to have quality fringe players for most positions now.
Stack and Reid could not be any more two different sorts of players, who would be given different instructions. I don't think ether will be a regular by seasons end, but i would hope their esposure to AFL and another preseason gets them into the team next year on a more consistent basis.

alwaysadog
05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Stack and Reid could not be any more two different sorts of players, who would be given different instructions. I don't think ether will be a regular by seasons end, but i would hope their esposure to AFL and another preseason gets them into the team next year on a more consistent basis.

Agree BT, Eade's getting them ready for next year and after that. That said I think Reid hsould hold his position next week, groins willing.

Interesting point about his kicking, could be a problem that needs fixing or could just be that he's not yet found enough time to get balanced and drive through the ball.

Any of our regular Willy watchers want to give us the benefit of their thougths about his kicking style?

comrade
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Agree BT, Eade's getting them ready for next year and after that. That said I think Reid hsould hold his position next week, groins willing.

Interesting point about his kicking, could be a problem that needs fixing or could just be that he's not yet found enough time to get balanced and drive through the ball.

Any of our regular Willy watchers want to give us the benefit of their thougths about his kicking style?

His ball drop reminds me of an early Mitch Hahn - both drop(ped) it from up high meaning a smaller margin for error. This leads to occasional shanks and sky balls.

Mitch has improved over the years but he still has that Queenslander tinge. I'm hopeful that Reid can get it right with some hard work - I'd be speaking to Boyd if I was him.

alwaysadog
06-07-2009, 12:12 AM
His ball drop reminds me of an early Mitch Hahn - both drop(ped) it from up high meaning a smaller margin for error. This leads to occasional shanks and sky balls.

Mitch has improved over the years but he still has that Queenslander tinge. I'm hopeful that Reid can get it right with some hard work - I'd be speaking to Boyd if I was him.

Mitch has certainly become more consistent, hope it doesn't take Sam as long though. I think we lost the plot for a while with our player development, saw a picture last week I think it was Johnno practising his kicking for goal and the routine seemed to involve kicking over a stake where the mark was. I assume it was to get them to line up straight and run straight at the goal.

Mofra
06-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Reid had 5 tackles.

He might not hold his place in the side for the finals but has shown enough that if does play he will hold his own.
Cheers SS, not many midfielders lay 5 tackles at the highest level every game, let alone a 19 yo playing off the HBF when the ball isn't getting down there too much.

We're developing a host of fringe players that are AFL capable when they get their shot (Callan, Addison, Tiller, etc) and Reid is pretty close to joining the list. He'll be one scary dude after another pre-season, could end up just a few kgs shy of Hahn's playing weight.

ledge
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Reid has a lot of strapping around his shoulders, is this a worry or is it his coming of age as in a bloke named Judd?

lemmon
06-07-2009, 06:29 PM
He looks like he's hit the weights pretty hard, he's got those big wide shoulders. Hopefully he's able to clean up his disposal a tad but other then that he looks like he could develop into a good player.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I like him, i just hope he likes Victoria and doesn't want to go home for more cash and regular games.

AndrewP6
06-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Reid has a lot of strapping around his shoulders, is this a worry or is it his coming of age as in a bloke named Judd?

Not sure of his injury history, but strapping is becoming the in thing these days... apparently assists with "proprioception" - the ability to sense the relative position of different parts of the body... like being able to run and handball at the same time...

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 07:54 PM

Reid has reminded me of Judd a lot! the way he attacks the ball in the midfield and wins the inside and outside ball, some very good similarities :)

ledge
06-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Not sure of his injury history, but strapping is becoming the in thing these days... apparently assists with "proprioception" - the ability to sense the relative position of different parts of the body... like being able to run and handball at the same time...

WTF?? sounds like its going to rain to me!:D
I need to buy a thesauras to understand posts now.
But thanks sometimes i think things go over the top, wonder why they all arent wearing them then.

AndrewP6
06-07-2009, 11:56 PM
WTF?? sounds like its going to rain to me!:D
I need to buy a thesauras to understand posts now.
But thanks sometimes i think things go over the top, wonder why they all arent wearing them then.

Rain? :D

It's one of those buzzwords that goes around now and again... apparently quite a few players wearing strapping do it for this reason, not for an injury...

As for things going over the top, don't get me started. Last time I argued that regarding interstate travel "fatigue", nearly started a war here!:)

Cyberdoggie
07-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Have to agree Mofra, thought his game was pretty good, but he kicked very high all the time, which as you rightly say, adds to the flight time and then makes it easier for opposition to make a contest. He certainly showed courage in taking on Roughead and I think he hurt him too. Good body size and strength. It's just great that we seem to have better depth now, with some of these young guns coming on!

His kicking isn't the best, but having said that it's no worse than Daniel Cross, and they appear to play a very similar role. Lots of handball, inside midfielder and tough.
Although i would go one further and suggest that Reid is probably a better if not more natural tackler. Just needs to at least double his possesion count.

Dry Rot
22-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Looked like he really belonged tonight. From watching the TV coverage, hardly put a foot wrong IMO.

Thoughts on his game tonight, and whether (if required) he's up to finals pressure?

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Looked like he really belonged tonight. From watching the TV coverage, hardly put a foot wrong IMO.

Thoughts on his game tonight, and whether (if required) he's up to finals pressure?

He can handle the pressure but might struggle to hold his spot once Cross comes back.
I liked his game tonight, it wasn't great but he was effective.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 12:45 AM
He can handle the pressure but might struggle to hold his spot once Cross comes back.

I think he showed that he can play at this level, and importantly I hope he sees that his future is here, and that there is a spot for him next year.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 12:52 AM
I think he showed that he can play at this level, and importantly I hope he sees that his future is here, and that there is a spot for him next year.

Which spot though? He will know that he is behind a few others and I think that will be his issue. It will be a good sign of his maturity if he can see the bigger picture.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Which spot though? He will know that he is behind a few others and I think that will be his issue. It will be a good sign of his maturity if he can see the bigger picture.

Perhaps with Eagleton and maybe Welsh retiring, this might cause some positional changes amongst other guys, which may open up a spot on the bench?
Could he play a half back role or even a defensive forward position?

lemmon
22-08-2009, 01:01 AM

At the moment I'd rather have Reid in the side then Addison.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Perhaps with Eagleton and maybe Welsh retiring, this might cause some positional changes amongst other guys, which may open up a spot on the bench?
Could he play a half back role or even a defensive forward position?

We need a player with a bit more dash to replace Eagleton.
I like the idea of playing him as a HBF but once again we have Gilbee, Harbrow, Morris and Shaggy playing the flanks and the pockets and Reid would be competing with Tiller, Addison, Everitt and Callan for the role as a back up.

Perhaps at the moment he is and off the bench jack of all trades player.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Ditto.

However, with Griff/Cross to come back, Addison/Reid are the logical options to make way. He's shown a bit in the last two weeks though, plenty to work with.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2009, 01:06 AM
We need a player with a bit more dash to replace Eagleton.
I like the idea of playing him as a HBF but once again we have Gilbee, Harbrow, Morris and Shaggy playing the flanks and the pockets and Reid would be competing with Tiller, Addison, Everitt and Callan for the role as a back up.

Perhaps at the moment he is and off the bench jack of all trades player.

Is it possible Harbrow could make the transition to Eagles role? enabling Sam to play in defence?

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Is it possible Harbrow could make the transition to Eagles role? enabling Sam to play in defence?

Probably just not quick enough to replace Harbrow. Perhaps Gilbee to the wing might open up a spot.

FrediKanoute
22-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Agree. Though I think that they play two different roles. Reid looked comfortable tonight. Didn't seem to panic, but I think is still a while away from dominating a game.

Addison.....well its still deer in the headlights stuff from the kid and despite his hardness for the contest, when he turns it over or just doesn't get the ball its costly and was so on a couple of occasions tonight.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Add me to the list of posters who would prefer Reid to Addison in the HBF role.

Throughandthrough
22-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Is he a yard slow though?

FrediKanoute
22-08-2009, 01:45 AM

I couldn't really tell based on tonights game. What he does have though is "footy smarts" in that he runs to the rights spaces and is aware of what is going on around him. If he was slow it may have something to do with the fact that he's only played a handful of games and is still making the adjustment to AFL.

comrade
22-08-2009, 01:52 AM

He's faster than Addison, especially over those crucial first 2 or 4 steps.

Reid will be the perfect replacement for Cross when he starts slowing down in a couple of seasons - a real hard nut who wins his own ball, but with an ability to burst away from congestion (hasn't been on show for the Bulldogs yet, but is a feature of his play at Willy).

For the time being, I can see him being played in defence, spending time in the middle and also pinch hitting up forward as he's quite good in the air.

I guess the issue is whether he is prepared to be a semi-fringe player for another 12 months, and do the work required to become a best 22 player.

That being said, if he improves his foot skills by 10% over the pre-season he could easily be entrenched in our 22 next year and compete with guys like Picken, Ward and Addison.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I guess the issue is whether he is prepared to be a semi-fringe player for another 12 months, and do the work required to become a best 22 player.

That being said, if he improves his foot skills by 10% over the pre-season he could easily be entrenched in our 22 next year and compete with guys like Picken, Ward and Addison.

Odd that he seems to have a few issues about that. He is in his 2nd year and I think Eade has been very fair with him. We are a top 4 side and obviously that means it's difficult to get a spot. Perhaps things have changed now that Reid has played the last 2 games.

As you mention, I definitely think he can become a regular next season and at the very least, he should be a fringe player.

Sedat
22-08-2009, 02:55 AM
In our purple patch of 3 goals in 3 minutes halfway through the last qtr, Reid was involved in all 3 goals. I especially loved his work in the lead-up play before the first of these goals (Johnno's goal that gave us back the lead), Harbrow grubbed a floater to half forward that Reid, under serious duress from his direct opponent, trapped on the half volley, twisted inside the tackle, got the arms free and dished off a handball all in the one motion - I thought it was Boyd at the time so clean were his hands.

Agree wholeheartedly that Reid is currently a better option in the 22 than Addison, whose game tonight consisted of some good sacrifial acts interspersed with poor turnovers.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2009, 03:05 AM

I think you're about right in your assessment, although I would go a bit futher than saying he was effective. For a less than 5 game player, he was very good. His inside work, hands, tackling were all very good. I occassionally saw him ball watching when he should have been running, but overall, his game was impressive.

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2009, 10:22 AM
It's Reid and Easton Woods size, physical assertiveness and aerial ability that have me excited

Their ability overhead could end up being something special

In time I think Reid will be able to play as a leading half forward ala Bob Murphy also

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I would like to see him re-sign and compete with Mitch for a spot at full strength. IN the modern game you need to play multiple positions, and Hahn can't do much than forward. Reid has size and body strength in the early mould of Hahn and can play on-ball too. I like the look of him, and i hope he sees a decent future here.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I noticed a few times in the game Reid would be free on the wing or in the centre. But the bulldogs players avoided giving it to him. Anyone else see that ?

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Need him to sign ASAP, i think he is going to be a very good footballer.

ledge
22-08-2009, 02:24 PM
His only problem i think is realizing he is good enough to be there, looks a bit shy or overawed at times.
Once he gets a few more games up and feels a part of the side and more confidence about being good enough he will be a very good player.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 02:25 PM
His only problem i think is realizing he is good enough to be there, looks a bit shy or overawed at times.
Once he gets a few more games up and feels a part of the side and more confidence about being good enough he will be a very good player.
If for some reason he doesn't get the confidence, with those shoulbers, back and biceps he could become a professional sporting axe-man. The boy is a tank.

Mofra
22-08-2009, 03:56 PM
7 tackles - same as Selwood. Only Ward (10!) had more atckles than Sammy last night. Thought he held a couple of tough marks too which was a positive sign.

I just worry that there is a little of Cam Faulkner in him, in that he can get the hard ball, but not as great as getting the easy ball. Part of this might come down to getting a bigger fitness base up so he can run a bit harder to receive.

If we have to play a defensive forward option, I'd have him in ahead of Addison.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:14 PM
That handball to Cooney under pressure from two Geelong players, was class.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I would like to see him re-sign and compete with Mitch for a spot at full strength. IN the modern game you need to play multiple positions, and Hahn can't do much than forward. Reid has size and body strength in the early mould of Hahn and can play on-ball too. I like the look of him, and i hope he sees a decent future here.

I was thinking this too last night watching him play. His body size and increasing strength as he matures is gong to be a real bonus for us. He has the footy smarts and seems to always run to the right place. He is still learning, but I do like the way he plays!

The Coon Dog
15-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Sam has signed for a further 2 years!

The Pie Man
15-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks TCD, that's great news.

It's been a good off season so far....we needed something!

strebla
15-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Very good thanks for that Coon Don a bit of a surprise but I like the way Sam goes about it great off season for the Buulies

soupman
15-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Brilliant.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Excellent.

Doc26
15-10-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks TCD for update. Good news indeed. Did you get that from an inside source or has it now been released publicly ?

LostDoggy
15-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks TCD, I like the way Sam goes about it and he doesnt seem to be out of his league in the big time.

LostDoggy
15-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Very good news indeed.

The Coon Dog
15-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Forgot to mention that his groin injury was very serious & he's had major surgery & wont really be up & about until April, so they're only looking at the 2nd half of 2010 for Sam.

Hotdog60
15-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I hope Sam doesn't end up as one of these players that have loads of potential but has bad luck with injuries. I really like what I've seen so far, so I hope after this groin he has good luck for the future and the Dogs reap the rewards.

Doc26
15-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm not too sure if it has been released.

You're up for a media award

Forgot to mention that his groin injury was very serious & he's had major surgery & wont really be up & about until April, so they're only looking at the 2nd half of 2010 for Sam.

That is Not good news. Wasn't aware of a mid season start for Sam. Guess he can't be dirty about lack of opportunities.

LostDoggy
15-10-2009, 06:11 PM

This is great news, bloody awesome.

lemmon
15-10-2009, 10:51 PM

This off-season gets better and better, thanks for the update TCD

LostDoggy
17-10-2009, 02:01 PM
That's great news for the future of the club

LostDoggy
30-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Anyone have info on how he is tracking?

Seems like the forgotten man in all the midfield talk lately, hoping he can have a big 2011.

The Coon Dog
30-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Anyone have info on how he is tracking?

Seems like the forgotten man in all the midfield talk lately, hoping he can have a big 2011.

Haven't heard too much on Sam at all since he injured both his shoulders.

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Had a chat with Sam Reid at the BF. He has had his surgery on both shoulders and everything looks good in that department. He is raring to start preseason training, after he returns from a short holiday.
________
SHOWER WIFE (http://www.****tube.com/categories/992/wife/videos/1)

Ghost Dog
12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Just watched the replay V carlton. Having not seen much of him, enjoyed watching him get into it.
Almost had a great goal. A very committed player with good balance and a penetrating kick. Loves contested footy. any comments for Reid after the Blues game?

always right
12-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Just watched the replay V carlton. Having not seen much of him, enjoyed watching him get into it.
Almost had a great goal. A very committed player with good balance and a penetrating kick. Loves contested footy. any comments for Reid after the Blues game?

Thought he was disappointing. Seemed to really struggle with the fact he was supposed to pick up Yarran but Yarran kept going to Dahlhaus.

Disagree about his kicking......inconsistent and lacks penetration IMO.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
I really hate being critical of Reid because of I admire how hard he has worked and all that but outside of the romance, I really don't think he is up to the rigours of AFL footy.

I thought he was actually quite disclipined on Yarran (or tried to be) but he just doesn't do enough for mine. Boy do I hope I am wrong, obviously for the Dogs chances but even more for him. I'd love to see him succeed.

Maddog37
12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
If we lose Ward we may need him to step up. It really is too early to tell IMO. Hopefully he can string a few games together and we will know more about him by years end.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Watched the game again, he did quite well, even though he didnt get much of the ball. He always put pressure on and seemed to want to get the ball or stop an opponent from getting it

Mofra
13-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Am I way off or was he actually a defensive forward on Scotland in the first quarter before Scotland was moved up the field? If so, that's a massive win for use as he is our Gilbee circa 09 (with Yarren being our Harbrow).

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I thought he had a defensive Forward role. That is why I was not concerned about his stats. If we continue to play him our forward press will continue to improve with Hoops and Dahlhaus adding to the implied pressure.

Cyberdoggie
13-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I thought he was played out of position against Carlton.

You can clearly see that he had more possesions playing off a wing in less than a quarter against Melbourne than he did for 3 quarters against Carlton playing up forward.

Also the nature of the game against Carlton was that not many of our forwards had many disposals. Hooper, Dahlhaus, Reid, Gia, Grant and Hall all didn't have a lot of it.
I don't think picking out Reid is very fair.

In my opinion Reid isn't a natural forward and has really only played as an inside midfielder or a tagger at Williamstown. We need to use him in a position that he knows, or at least trial him in that role at Willy first if you want it to work.

While Reid hasn't established himself as a starting midfielder in the dogs lineup yet, perhaps try using him in bursts. Reid can hit the packs hard and he loves laying big tackles at the stoppages. Give him a shot at it a few times in the game at least so he can throw the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak. Perhaps when the opposition start to read our plays and shut down Cooney and Griffen, throw Reid in there to change things around because i think he could be used well in these situations until he can improve his game to feature more often.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 04:22 PM
If Ward ends up going at the end of the year Reid will become an important piece of the midfield puzzle.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 04:45 PM
...the nature of the game against Carlton was that not many of our forwards had many disposals. Hooper, Dahlhaus, Reid, Gia, Grant and Hall all didn't have a lot of it.
I don't think picking out Reid is very fair.

agree,also the guy plays a game or two a year , gets injured (usually from putting his body on the line) ... I mean , how are we even supposed to figure out how best to use him until
He gets a decent run at it . Tom Williams came good I think Reid could too . I would keep him over the likes of moles any day . I know this sounds romantic but there I's something very ' bulldog' about him .

stefoid
13-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Eade loves players who try their guts out and dont die wondering. He'll be given more time.

ledge
13-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Eade loves players who try their guts out and dont die wondering. He'll be given more time.

As we all do, who wants a half arsed tryer in the side?
We saw with the young ones on the weekend it can make a hell of a difference.:D
We all know its only injury that keeps him out, if he gets 5 games in a row he will be right.

Mofra
14-07-2011, 10:34 AM
As we all do, who wants a half arsed tryer in the side?
Sydney traded for one :p

Sedat
14-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Am I way off or was he actually a defensive forward on Scotland in the first quarter before Scotland was moved up the field? If so, that's a massive win for use as he is our Gilbee circa 09 (with Yarren being our Harbrow).
Finally got around to seeing a replay of the match last night and I thought Reid did a decent job in the defensive forward role. Did plenty of good bullocking work off the ball (clearing a path in heavy traffic on a couple of notable occasions) and made it tough for the likes of Scotland to provide Carlton with any quality rebound drive. Would like to see him get more of the ball but a forward line consisting of Reid, Dahlhaus and (to a lesser extent) Hooper certainly adds a hard working and defensieve dimension to try and keep it in there as opposed to the Akermanis, Johnson, Hahn, Higgins forward line in 2010. Just his body size adds a hard bady up there to let the rebounders know and expect to receive physical contact.

Mantis
14-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Finally got around to seeing a replay of the match last night and I thought Reid did a decent job in the defensive forward role. Did plenty of good bullocking work off the ball (clearing a path in heavy traffic on a couple of notable occasions) and made it tough for the likes of Scotland to provide Carlton with any quality rebound drive. Would like to see him get more of the ball but a forward line consisting of Reid, Dahlhaus and (to a lesser extent) Hooper certainly adds a hard working and defensieve dimension to try and keep it in there as opposed to the Akermanis, Johnson, Hahn, Higgins forward line in 2010. Just his body size adds a hard bady up there to let the rebounders know and expect to receive physical contact.

Agree with that Sedat.

Sam certainly adds a bit of the bash & crash factor that Hahn offered in his prime and with the benefit of the replay I also thought he did a reasonable job in what well might have been his first run in this role.

If his calf pulls up ok I wouldn't see him having another run around to belt the hell out of Firrito who makes a habit of throwing his weight around against smaller opponents and may try and rough up Dahlhaus & Hooper.

Mofra
14-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Left field question - if we do snare Bate from the Demons (we are apparently interested) does that significantly hurt Reid's chances of getting more gametime in 2012?

bornadog
14-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Left field question - if we do snare Bate from the Demons (we are apparently interested) does that significantly hurt Reid's chances of getting more gametime in 2012?

I thought Bate was a lot taller (192cm) and is more likely to take a Hall type of role?

AndrewP6
14-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I thought Bate was a lot taller (192cm) and is more likely to take a Hall type of role?

Bate is anywhere from 192cm to 196, depending on who you ask ;).
196 I think.

bornadog
14-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Bate is anywhere from 192cm to 196, depending on who you ask ;).
196 I think.

Really? Where did you get that from?

always right
14-07-2011, 06:08 PM
According to the Melbourne website he is 192cm....same as Jarryd Grant.

bornadog
14-07-2011, 06:57 PM
According to the Melbourne website he is 192cm....same as Jarryd Grant.

I think Andrew is thinking of Barlow.

AndrewP6
14-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I think Andrew is thinking of Barlow.

Oh crap... Ok people just forget my "contribution" ever happened! Oh well, their last names both begin with B!:o

Mantis
14-07-2011, 07:44 PM

If we chase Bate I give up. His only decent game in the last 3 years was on Everitt.

Maddog37
14-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Bate is a not quite player from what I have seen. Not quite tall enough, not quite quick enough, not quite creative enough etc.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Bate is an ordinary footballer.

I'd be disappointed if we were interested.

ratsmac
14-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I have always liked Reid and I think if he can stay on the park he will definitely be in our regular 22. He has pretty good hands in close and as we all know he loves the hard stuff.

the banker
15-07-2011, 07:32 AM
We want players that are consistently able to fulfil their role in the team plan. Bate does not impress me as a modern footballer. Reid has attitude and determination and moves well at times. IMO he is worth persisting with. A good cut of a player.

Desipura
15-07-2011, 07:55 AM
If we chase Bate I give up. His only decent game in the last 3 years was on Everitt.

Depends who we give up for him, which would not be much you would think. I mentioned they would probably take Hill.
I quit like the idea of bringing a relatively young strong bodied and quick on a lead full forward onto our list.

Mofra
15-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Bate is a not quite player from what I have seen. Not quite tall enough, not quite quick enough, not quite creative enough etc.
Was the rationale his defensive output/bash & crash mentality we lost with Hahn?

Not sold on him but we are interested by all accounts.

Sedat
15-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Not specifically in relation to Bate, but the trick to astute trading is to identify underperforming players from other clubs who could fulfil a specific need at your own club and who are at their lowest trade value.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2011, 03:47 AM
I love an underdog. A diabetic with two dodgy shoulders, carving out an AFL career. Now THAT'S Bulldog guts right there. I'd like to see that!

stefoid
16-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Not specifically in relation to Bate, but the trick to astute trading is to identify underperforming players from other clubs who could fulfil a specific need at your own club and who are at their lowest trade value.

Pearce from Port fits that criteria.

LostDoggy
22-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Pearce from Port fits that criteria.

Port would still want a lot for Pierce.