PDA

View Full Version : Ins & Outs for rd 15 - Collingwood

Mantis
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
How do you take a change after a performance like that? In saying that I think they will be super keen to get Williams back into the team to help with our match-ups against Collingwood, therefore:

In: Williams

Out: Reid

Hopefully Williams gets through the VFL game today with Reid being the unlucky one to make way. Reid showed he is capable of playing a role so can be called on again with confidence when required.

The Doctor
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I think Callan or Addison could be a chance.

Pies have a lot of dangerous small forwards in Didak, Medhurst, Davis, Thomas, Dick to worry about.

There are plenty of match up opportunities there.

LostDoggy
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
I hear that Reid has groin issues, as I don't think its fair to drop him.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Williams is a must with the match-ups against Collingwood. Cloke and Anthony will demand a tall defender each and we need to free up Morris to play on one of their dangerous small forwards.

Reid apparently has a minor groin problem from last night so I would go with Reid out and Williams in as well.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd be inclined to bring in Callan rather than Williams.

Lake - Cloke
Morris - Anthony
Hargrave, Harbrow & Callan to take their small forwards.

Having said that, Morris has owned Didak the last few times we've played them.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I think Callan or Addison could be a chance.

Pies have a lot of dangerous small forwards in Didak, Medhurst, Davis, Thomas, Dick to worry about.

There are plenty of match up opportunities there.

Davis and especially Didak are covering a lot more ground now, which makes them far more difficult prospects to tag. I will be doing the Collingwood review this week and the focus will be how they rotate their players around. Makes them very hard to match up indeed.

Rocco Jones
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM

He has but Didak is now a very different player. His highest three disposal games in his career have come in the last three rounds. The best way to break a tag is to run it out and Didak is doing that wonderfully at the moment. Not sure I want Morris spending so much of his time out of the backline.

Mantis
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Lake - Cloke
Morris - Anthony

I would be more inclined to see:

Williams v Cloke
Lake v Anthony - Could play a role similar to the PF here (attacking)

Leave Morris, Hargrave, Harbrow, etc.. to pick up the smalls.

Much to discuss in the preview thread during the week.

boydogs
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I think our defensive matchups would be fine against Collingwood going in unchanged with Lake to Cloke, Morris to Anthony, Hargrave to Medhurst however if we want Tom Williams in the side in September he needs to come in and build some form

Out: Reid
In : Williams

bornadog
05-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Lake - Cloke
Morris - Anthony

I tend to agree with these match ups. Didak seems to be more in the midfield now as is Swan. Morris on Anthony and Lake on Cloke are ideal matchups, although Cloke works up the ground a fair bit, which won't suit Lake.

Happy Days
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Rest Reid, someone has to come out, and bringing in a player with "groin sorenes" could lead to much worse problems down the track. I'd bring in Williams, and have him and Lake take the two big men. Send Harbrow to Dick, Shaggy to Medhurst and have Morris play on whichever one of Davis and Didak is in the forward line, provided both aren't in the middle. Picken to tag the other one.

BulldogBelle
05-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Rest Reid, someone has to come out, and bringing in a player with "groin sorenes" could lead to much worse problems down the track. I'd bring in Williams, and have him and Lake take the two big men. Send Harbrow to Dick, Shaggy to Medhurst and have Morris play on whichever one of Davis and Didak is in the forward line, provided both aren't in the middle. Picken to tag the other one.

Agree with everything you said here. Even rest Reid from Williamstown if he isnt 100% right.

I dont really rate Cloke and think Anthony is inconsistent, Lake and Williams should own them

Didak will be the one to watch, especially in his new midfield role, Picken better bring his footy smarts and skates to the game...we dont plan for him or pay him respect, he will tear us a new one

bulldogtragic
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM
If williams is 100%, Reid is unfortunate, but that's the sign of a team with great depth.

Hargy is averaging 20 touches and serting up plays the last month, i'd like to give him that same freedom and not have him tied up too much.

If Reid and Tommy do not come up, Callan for me.

AndrewP6
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Reid was OK last night...showed some good stuff.. but if Williams is good to go, I'd put him in. If not, put Tim Callan in for Reid. Looking forward to seeing Reid develop though...

ledge
05-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I think we proved last night we can beat good talls with Lake, Morris, Murphy down back and Cloke and Anthony are nowhere near the quality of Franklin and Roughead.

Maybe Reid out depending on how he has recovered from game or injury wise, then i would like maybe Addison in.

strebla
06-07-2009, 03:24 AM
I don't understand why you would change the back six play Murf on Cloke and he will be our set up man all night long just as he was on Saturday

becmatty
06-07-2009, 08:11 AM
No change.

If Reid's groin doesn't pull up, then Addison in after a top game for Willy. He just edges out Callan.

Williams not ready to play.

Mofra
06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Reid was probably a bit better than you'd expect from a 2nd gamer (92% disposal efficiency, unlucky not to be paid a mark, went hard at Roughy & won the disputed ball), but any groin soreness should be rested, and I'd like to see a tall in for Collingwood's forwardline.

Williams is obviously our first choice CHB and he has the body to find find form in the seniors, I'd give him a game for the unlucky Reid.

Ozza
06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure Williams walks back into the side. For mine, Lake and Morris play on Anthony and Cloke, Picken gets Didak, Harbrow and Hargrave take the others rotating forward.

Mofra
06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure Williams walks back into the side. For mine, Lake and Morris play on Anthony and Cloke, Picken gets Didak, Harbrow and Hargrave take the others rotating forward.
That worries me. I'm a Picken fan, but Didak gets away from his opponent on smarts as much as anything else, and Picken just doesn't have the experience. He'll give his all, but I'd prefer someone more experienced on Didak (Shaggy or Morris for starters)

This is where I'd like to have the flexibility of another tall defender so we can use Morris to shut down the Pie's most dangerous forward. They have a multi-pronged approach like us so flexibility is far more important this week than it was against the one-dimensional Hawks.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Williams in Reid out, Picken on Didak in the centre. We then have the flexibility with Bob in the backline to cover all options. Morris can go to Didak if he plays forward. Williams needs as much experience as possible prior to the finals.

Ozza
06-07-2009, 02:56 PM
That worries me. I'm a Picken fan, but Didak gets away from his opponent on smarts as much as anything else, and Picken just doesn't have the experience. He'll give his all, but I'd prefer someone more experienced on Didak (Shaggy or Morris for starters)

This is where I'd like to have the flexibility of another tall defender so we can use Morris to shut down the Pie's most dangerous forward. They have a multi-pronged approach like us so flexibility is far more important this week than it was against the one-dimensional Hawks.

Didak spends too much time up on the wing and through the midfield these days for Morris and Shaggy. I thought playing on Bateman was a good training run for Picko this week to aim at Didak for the following week.

I'd be very surprised if Picko doesn't get first crack.

Stefcep
06-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I think we proved last night we can beat good talls with Lake, Morris, Murphy down back and Cloke and Anthony are nowhere near the quality of Franklin and Roughead.

I think what we proved was that our midfield was better then Hawthorne's. If the Hawks midfield was on top-like it was last years final, stopping Buddy and Roughhead would be a different proposition.

What this analysis shows-despite the hoopla about getting Barry Hall-is that we don't have a genuine tall centre half back to match up on the two tall forwards most sides have. Its unfair to expect Morris to give away 6 inches and expect him to compete. Williams hasn't been right for, what, 2 seasons?

jitboy
06-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm a bit concerned that the matchups we need to watch are off the Collingwood halfback line and midfield.

Lockyer, Shaw, Didak, Davis, Swan, Pendles, ... break these guys down with the defensive pressure we brought against Hawthorn and it should mean Shaggy, Lake and Morris can have more productive games.

Failing that, Welshy seems to be able to plug a hole down back at a pinch.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Theres plenty of people calling for Williams to come in mbut does anyone know how he went for Williamstown on Sunday?

No use bringing him in if he is not showing enough form to deserve a game. I noticed Thompson kicked 8 for Werribee ..... I hope Tom wasn't playing on him!

hujsh
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Theres plenty of people calling for Williams to come in mbut does anyone know how he went for Williamstown on Sunday?

No use bringing him in if he is not showing enough form to deserve a game. I noticed Thompson kicked 8 for Werribee ..... I hope Tom wasn't playing on him!

Read the reports on the VFL thread.

If you don't have access just pm GVGjr

Jasper
07-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I would like to see Williams come in to play on cloke, then lake to go to Anthony and Morris to one of their dangerous smalls. This would allow us to play murphy forward and with a predominantly small forward line, I think the Pies backline would struggle to fine the right match ups.