PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the post!

The Coon Dog
05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
No idea where you would find the stats, but does any team in the comp hit the post more than we do?

AndrewP6
06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
That was one of few things to really annoy me about the game last night... bloody hell we did it a lot...

comrade
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
My other half actually asked whether I thought the players practiced it. I asked her why on earth would they do that?

God, love her.

Number 3
06-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Dennis Commetti mentioned that we hit the post more than any other team a few rounds ago. Last nights effort would've made sure we stayed on top of that ladder I reckon. The best bit was when we played on from advantage and Hill (I think) hit the post, the ball got brought back, and Callan Ward's subsequent shot hit the post in almost exactly the same spot.

So yeah, they probably do practise it :)

bornadog
06-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Against Geelong we hit the post twice in the last quarter, and with such a close game, it can make the difference.

Desipura
06-07-2009, 09:58 AM
My other half actually asked whether I thought the players practiced it. I asked her why on earth would they do that?

God, love her.
Not as silly as it sounds. They do practise hitting a pole at training.

LostDoggy
06-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I always thought they should get extra points if they hit the post. How hard would it be if you intend to do it.

Mofra
06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I always thought they should get extra points if they hit the post. How hard would it be if you intend to do it.
Was it Gilbert McAdam who first got his AFL gig by rocking up to training, dragging a wheelie bin onto the ground, then filling it with footballs he kicked into it from all sorts of angles & distances?

chef
06-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Was it Gilbert McAdam who first got his AFL gig by rocking up to training, dragging a wheelie bin onto the ground, then filling it with footballs he kicked into it from all sorts of angles & distances?

Pretty sure it was his brother Adrian who played for North.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
So the answer is to replace goal posyts with wheelie bins? :)

Fair talent ot be able to do that.

Mofra
06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Pretty sure it was his brother Adrian who played for North.
Could well have been. Not just a Motlop who has some party tricks.

BulldogBelle
06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Dogs do like doing things on posts

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Higgins twice again tonight. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
As soon as those 2 hit the post from higgins, it reminded me of this thread..

Go_Dogs
11-07-2009, 11:00 AM

I'd missed this thread previously and assumed that it had been started based on that!

Very un-Higgins like.

bornadog
11-07-2009, 02:46 PM

How can he hit the post running into an open goal from 20 metres out, those things can cost you.

strebla
12-07-2009, 12:04 PM
It is fast becomming a nightmare for us we must surely be a mile ahead for posters this year so close yet so very far away.

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 12:15 PM
It's very annoying.

angelopetraglia
12-07-2009, 04:19 PM
How can he hit the post running into an open goal from 20 metres out, those things can cost you.

Agree he should not have hit the post. But Cross was 25m directly in front. Go back and kick the goal. That was so frustrating.

Collingwood kicked a goal from that behind kick in that really hurt us. There were a number of those two goal turn arounds with us missing some very easy shots.

boydogs
12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Agree he should not have hit the post. But Cross was 25m directly in front. Go back and kick the goal. That was so frustrating.

Collingwood kicked a goal from that behind kick in that really hurt us. There were a number of those two goal turn arounds with us missing some very easy shots.

Both Cross and Higgins were in two minds - Cross is a bit like Eagleton in that he has a big windup before kicking and was worried about the player in between them coming in for a smother. I think it was closer to 40 than 25 out, which he could have kicked but not off a step. Higgins once he got the ball didn't know whether to kick the banana or drop punt - ended up kicking the drop punt but leaving it too late to settle for it properly

I think the play should have been a chip kick for Higgins to mark, I reckon that's what Aker would have done

Sockeye Salmon
12-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Cross would have been kicking from at least 40. Cross made the right play; a player of Higgins class simply shouldn't miss from there. Higgins turned onto his left foot but kicked with his right without balancing. Why would a player as skilled on his left as Higgins not simply kicked the goal with his left?

Bulldog4life
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Cross would have been kicking from at least 40. Cross made the right play; a player of Higgins class simply shouldn't miss from there. Higgins turned onto his left foot but kicked with his right without balancing. Why would a player as skilled on his left as Higgins not simply kicked the goal with his left?

Exactly right SS. I was sitting very close to where that happened and I was sure that he was going to kick on his left then he suddenly turned on his right and just managed to squeeze the kick out as an opponent rushed towards him.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Add another 3 to the season tally.

westdog54
09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Add another 3 to the season tally.

Bugger drawn games, a shot at goal hitting the post has to be by far one of the most deflating and frustrating things for a supporter of any club. When you magnify it with the fact that were hitting the post so often in 1-2 kick results, its heartbreaking.

The Coon Dog
12-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Western Bulldogs struggle to split the sticks (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25917219-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens | August 12, 2009 12:00am

FOR the most part, an AFL goalpost is no wider than a pint glass.

The sticks start at 100mm in diameter at the bottom, tapering to 76mm at the top.

Yet the Western Bulldogs are this season doing an extraordinary job of slamming the Sherrin into the uprights.

The Bulldogs have managed 38 "posters" - 10 more than any other side.

In Saturday's five-point loss to West Coast, the Dogs hit the post three times.

When they fell a point short against Collingwood in Round 14, the Dogs kicked two posters.

And in Round 9 when they lost to Geelong by two points, they threw in another four.

Rest of article (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25917219-19742,00.html)

GVGjr
12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Anyone would think they have been reading the forum :)

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Hmmm. I didn't see this information referenced from WOOF... :)

bornadog
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Hmmm. I didn't see this information referenced from WOOF... :)

Journos don't give away their sources;)

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Journos don't give away their sources;)
Double standards. If we don't source their articles right, GVGjr gets a rocket and is forced to police every new thread with an article. GVGjr, you should be demanding to be sourced :)

i.e. "FOR the most part, an AFL goalpost is no wider than a pint glass. The sticks start at 100mm in diameter at the bottom, tapering to 76mm at the top. Yet the Western Bulldogs are this season doing an extraordinary job of slamming the Sherrin into the uprights, according to WOOF.net.au bloggers.

The Bulldogs have managed 38 "posters" - 10 more than any other side. In Saturday's five-point loss to West Coast, the Dogs hit the post three times posted 'bulldogtragic'. "

Much more accuarte :)

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM

What? I don't steal from WOOF...

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Double standards. If we don't source their articles right, GVGjr gets a rocket and is forced to police every new thread with an article. GVGjr, you should be demanding to be sourced :)

i.e. "FOR the most part, an AFL goalpost is no wider than a pint glass. The sticks start at 100mm in diameter at the bottom, tapering to 76mm at the top. Yet the Western Bulldogs are this season doing an extraordinary job of slamming the Sherrin into the uprights, according to WOOF.net.au bloggers.

The Bulldogs have managed 38 "posters" - 10 more than any other side. In Saturday's five-point loss to West Coast, the Dogs hit the post three times posted 'bulldogtragic'. "

Much more accuarte :)

The amazing thing is that it's not just a feeling that we have that we are the kings of the self-destruct.. it's actually a documented stat!

bulldogtragic
12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
The amazing thing is that it's not just a feeling that we have that we are the kings of the self-destruct.. it's actually a documented stat!
What happened to the rules committee making a poster 3 points. We would have won 3 games this year if that rule went through... I just realised writing that, posters have cost us 3 games this year. For F*** sake.... Win them and we are pushing for top 2. It really is a game of centimetres isn't it, that's just cruel.

Sedat
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Win them and we are pushing for top 2. It really is a game of centimetres isn't it, that's just cruel.
We would have found a way to lose the close ones - we always do. For as long as I care to remember (save for a short but beautiful period in 2000), we are the kings of coming from behind and being pipped, or being overrun and being pipped, or just ending up on the wrong side of the ledger in a close one.

LostDoggy
12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
We would have found a way to lose the close ones - we always do. For as long as I care to remember (save for a short but beautiful period in 2000), we are the kings of coming from behind and being pipped, or being overrun and being pipped, or just ending up on the wrong side of the ledger in a close one.

Yes and does anyone else feel those time keepers just sit upstairs waiting for the other to team to hit the front before blowing the siren.

hujsh
21-08-2009, 10:15 PM
3 already tonight.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 10:55 PM
FIVE, you mean. That's 25 points pissed away.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 10:55 PM
It the lowlight of our year this year..
Hitting the post has simply cost us games this year!

Rocco Jones
22-08-2009, 01:32 AM
I think of this thread every time we hit the post. Great call TCD.

becmatty
22-08-2009, 07:56 AM
6 'posters' Vs Geelong - a new record? Anyone know what the most posters is for a single AFl match?

Glad we won despite this fact...

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I sent a msg to Mighty West(not sure if he got it) i think it was after qtr time saying, how many times are we gona hit the post damit, 3 already, should manage a world record tonight for sure.....

Its amazing how many times we hit it....

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Tense first quarter - I wasn't pleased with the three posters in it

Should have been a lot further in front at half time

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I hope we have had our season quota in the H&A season, just in time for finals!!!

SonofScray
22-08-2009, 11:20 AM
The first 4 posters really had me worried. The scoreboard pressure you lose in those instances can hurt and I was left thinking about the Prelim where we missed a lot of shots which kicked us out of a chance.

When the momentum swings, and it always does in today game, you need that buffer. You can dominate for 20 minutes and kick 1.5 and come a cropper in 3 mins of football these days, particularly against top sides like Geelong.

Good to see Stokes hit the post late though, a bit of luck our way for a change.

Johnno and Welsh could have two goals to their names whicvh would have blown the lid off the stadium if not for the rotten goal posts!

mighty_west
22-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I sent a msg to Mighty West(not sure if he got it) i think it was after qtr time saying, how many times are we gona hit the post damit, 3 already, should manage a world record tonight for sure.....

Its amazing how many times we hit it....

Yeah some crazy woman sent me some random message about hitting posts, i just deleted it....:p, nah!

It might have been Blighty, but someone was saying one time, that if you hit the post, you are pretty much getting it right with your kicking for goal being so close with your misses for goal, if you keep kicking it through the points or on the full, then you have a real problem.

For whatever reason, we kick a hell of alot of posters at the Dome, it's not wind assisted, it just has to come down to bad luck imo.

But yeah, it must be just as frustrating for the players as it is for us supporters, and like Sos stated, could have very easily lost whatever momentum we had, maybe that was part of the reason they got the momentum their way in the 3rd quarter, one of those unknowns i guess, but the luck finally went our way and we were able to hold & get back in front which was massive against a side like Geelong.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I cant believe how often it happens with us, last night was unbelieveable, surely the odds must turn and we dont hit a post for the next 5 years...

Happy Days
22-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I reckon that Murph poster would have to be poster of the year.

bulldogtragic
31-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Has the poster-Karma finally turned? Dayne Beams hitting it twice in the last half of the last quarter and we sneak into 3rd by a few points.

Let's hope so.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Has the poster-Karma finally turned? Dayne Beams hitting it twice in the last half of the last quarter and we sneak into 3rd by a few points.

Let's hope so.

Thank god!! lol
Did we even get one poster last night??

The Coon Dog
31-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Thank god!! lol
Did we even get one poster last night??

Aker in the first quarter.

LostDoggy
31-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Aker in the first quarter.

Ahh thats right..
At least it was'nt at a crucial part of the game!

LostDoggy
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Against Geelong we hit the post twice in the last quarter, and with such a close game, it can make the difference.

4 times in first Q wasnt it? Against collingwood early in year.. i think missing alot early can lose ya the game also.

strebla
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I thought the worm turned against geelong in the last quarter when they hit the post I made the comment that the worm might have turned our way we then fan away with it a little.

bornadog
01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
4 times in first Q wasnt it? Against collingwood early in year.. i think missing alot early can lose ya the game also.

Have a look at the date of the post, I was talking about the first time we played Geelong, when we lost by a couple of points and hit the post twice in the last quarter.

Ozza
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
We were a bit better with posters this week - but the kicking at goal from Higgins and Murphy has been a little frustrating of late - hopefully they have got it out of their system for the finals.

Twodogs
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
It'd be great if they bought in a rule that if it hits the post and goes goalside it's a goal, if it goes behind it's a point and if it bounces back it's play on.

I really like that rule from the preseason comp.

The Coon Dog
01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
It'd be great if they bought in a rule that if it hits the post and goes goalside it's a goal, if it goes behind it's a point and if it bounces back it's play on.

So, you're level when the final siren goes & are taking a shot from 40 metres out to win the Grand Final.

You have 21 metres to aim at; 7, 7 & 7.

All you need is a point to win!

In you come, hit it sweetly, it starts veering offline & cannons into the goal post only to bounce back into the field of play! :eek:

Twodogs
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
So, you're level when the final siren goes & are taking a shot from 40 metres out to win the Grand Final.

You have 21 metres to aim at; 7, 7 & 7.

All you need is a point to win!

In you come, hit it sweetly, it starts veering offline & cannons into the goal post only to bounce back into the field of play! :eek:

Rugby league and Rugby Union cope with it quite nicely. If a bunch of meatheads like that can get their brain around it we should be able to!:D

The Coon Dog
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Rugby league and Rugby Union cope with it quite nicely. If a bunch of meatheads like that can get their brain around it we should be able to!:D

But they don't have an additional 7 metres each side of the goal posts that count as a score as we do.

hujsh
01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
If it was a point for hitting the post and a goal for hitting the post and going through the goals i could accept that.

bornadog
01-09-2009, 06:57 PM

yes throw out 100 plus years of doing it one way to completely change the game

Sockeye Salmon
01-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Cool, another ****ing rule change.

Just what we need.

If they change any more rules I want it to be changing back the one's they've ****ed up!

bornadog
01-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Cool, another ****ing rule change.

Just what we need.

If they change any more rules I want it to be changing back the one's they've ****ed up!

You mean all of them;)

bulldogtragic
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Aker's poster in the last would have been very handy...

angelopetraglia
06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
And Lake's in the last quarter too. Vital time as well.

westdog54
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Its usually the smaller, smarter, faster blokes that kick for goal in rugby. Don't see too many big blokes getting anywhere near the post.

Sockeye Salmon
07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Its usually the smaller, smarter, faster blokes that kick for goal in rugby. Don't see too many big blokes getting anywhere near the post.

John Eales?

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 10:17 AM
John Eales?

John Eales was a smart man wrapped in a little man wrapped in a huge man.

Can't use him in an argument; he is the rare example of "the exception to every rule" phenomenon.

Rule: "I thought all Rugby Union players were feckheads?"
Exception: "Not John Eales."

LostDoggy
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Easy fix have the guys aim for the post and that way they will miss that and kick it though for a goal (one would hope) but knowing us it would more likely hit the point post on the full insted.

westdog54
12-09-2009, 07:33 PM
John Eales?

John Eales was the finest player to pull on a wallaby #5 jumper in the history of rugby. Once in a lifetime player.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I hope this thread has no more additions to it this weekend.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 11:08 AM
16 posters so far this year, nearly one every half. Would be nice to tighten this up a bit. The positive I guess is we are not missing by much.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 11:16 AM
16 posters so far this year, nearly one every half. Would be nice to tighten this up a bit. The positive I guess is we are not missing by much.

So nearly 2 per game, it doesn't appear to be a big number.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 11:22 AM
So nearly 2 per game, it doesn't appear to be a big number.

No, not really. Although they’ve all come in rounds 3-9 (2.6 per game). A few very gettable goals missed. The good news is that despite being the number one attack in the league, a bit more care makes us even more dangerous.

Twodogs
17-05-2021, 11:40 AM
No, not really. Although they’ve all come in rounds 3-9 (2.6 per game). A few very gettable goals missed. The good news is that despite being the number one attack in the league, a bit more care makes us even more dangerous.

First time I went to the SCG there was a couple of locals sitting in front of us. We hit the post and one of them said to the other "you get 7 points when that happens" My dear old late dad who never saw an opportunity to start an argument that he didn't welcome leant forward and said " *!*!*!*!ing bulltish it is. It's only 1 point" and then spent the following 15 minutes in fierce discussion until someone else leant over and said "oh for God's sake will you just point out the scoreboard to them and stop bickering about it!"

Twodogs
17-05-2021, 11:43 AM
I personally think there should be no such thing as hit the post. If the ball hits the post goalside then it's a goal, if it hits the post on the pointside then it's a behind and if it bounces back into play then it's play on.

We should also replay the 1997 preliminary final.

jeemak
17-05-2021, 01:34 PM
I personally think there should be no such thing as hit the post. If the ball hits the post goalside then it's a goal, if it hits the post on the pointside then it's a behind and if it bounces back into play then it's play on.

What happens when the ball goes over the post? Split the difference?

Twodogs
17-05-2021, 01:42 PM
What happens when the ball goes over the post? Split the difference?

Umpire's call. Or have one of those rucks like they have in Rugby Union.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Umpire's call. Or have one of those rucks like they have in Rugby Union.

Leave it as it is, can't see the issue

Twodogs
17-05-2021, 01:52 PM
Leave it as it is, can't see the issue

https://youtu.be/p8n37eLPBXA

Gee I dunno why...

jeemak
17-05-2021, 01:58 PM
But if that was umpires call it would have been a point anyway.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 02:07 PM
I can recall going to a training session (remember those?) years ago when we first drafted Nathan Brown and one of the drills was for the players to run, scoop up the ball and from about 20 to 25mtrs hit a little league sized goal post. Brown did it 3 times in a row and I reckon he missed the 4th attempt by a whisker.

He needed a *!*!*!*!ing hair cut badly by the way

westdog54
17-05-2021, 02:21 PM

If we didn't have behinds as well as goals I would agree with you.

I don't think it is fair that you end up with no score for a kick that gets closer to the goal.

westdog54
17-05-2021, 02:24 PM
I can recall going to a training session (remember those?) years ago when we first drafted Nathan Brown and one of the drills was for the players to run, scoop up the ball and from about 20 to 25mtrs hit a little league sized goal post. Brown did it 3 times in a row and I reckon he missed the 4th attempt by a whisker.

That was a *!*!*!*!ing horrendous hair style.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 02:29 PM
That was a *!*!*!*!ing horrendous hair style.

Wasn't he nicknamed M Bop?

hujsh
17-05-2021, 02:37 PM

I'd think the easiest way to do that is that if it goes through the goals it doesn't matter if it hit the post (unless it's above the post I guess) and is a goal while if it hits the post and doesn't go through for a goal then it's a point.

No need for 'Snicko' or a long drawn out review just a pretty simple decision.

Though the question would then arise what if the ball hits the post, bounces on the field and then back through the goals somehow... My heart says point. But if it's a dribble kick that continues momentum through the goals and hits the ground then goal?

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 09:32 PM
Two more to half time.

Edit: a third for #19 now in 8 weeks

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 10:53 PM
Four tonight.

20 posters in 8 weeks.

Twodogs
22-05-2021, 11:32 PM

I was there when that happened too. You're right it was a *!*!*!*!ing horrendous haircut.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
23-05-2021, 12:22 AM
https://youtu.be/p8n37eLPBXA

Gee I dunno why...
Needs a trigger warning

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 12:23 AM
Amazing Stat

We are already #1 for attack. Imagine a few of those actually go through too. That should be the scary thing for oppositions, we’ve got a heap of good players coming back soon and areas of improvement. We are not in top gear yet as a club.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 12:25 AM
We are already #1 for attack. Imagine a few of those actually go through too. That should be the scary thing for oppositions, we’ve got a heap of good players coming back soon and areas of improvement. We are not in top gear yet as a club.

Mclean should be getting some games at Footscray soon. He might be available post bye. I reckon he might be itching to catch up for lost time.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2021, 11:38 PM
Two more tonight.