Personal Details

DOB: 15 February 1983
Position: Small Forward
Number: 4
Height: 184 cm
Weight: 85 kg
Recruited: Port Adelaide, Priority Pick #3 in the 2000 draft
Debut: Round 7, 2001 v North Melbourne

Alan Didak's is more famous for his off field behaviour than his game day play. This year though after the drama's of last year, he has really applied himself and has moved further up the ground which is paying off in spades. Didak's last four games are arguably his personal best for his career.

Recent Highlights

36 disposals, 8 marks, 24 kicks and 12 handballs v Essendon Round 14 2009
39 disposals, 31 kicks and 8 handballs, 9 marks and 2 goals v Freo Round 13 2009
34 disposals, 29 kicks and 5 handballs, 6 marks and 2 goals v Swans Round 12 2009
33 disposals, 26 kicks and 7 handballs, 4 marks and 2 goals v Dees Round 11 2009

Morris usually has the job on Didak, and the last time we played Collingwood – Didak caused a few headaches for him, and without his off field distractions he has focused and improved on his game this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zWrR6q92k <Collingwood are a very even team, very similar to the Bulldogs, they have no out and out strong marking forwards with Rocca both too old and out of form. Cloke has been their main full forward, with contributions from quick small fullforwards, Davis, Didak and Anthony. Their game depends on an even contribution across the board. The midfield has taken a step up this year, with Swan and Pendlebury recording personal bests.

They are also the team with the most rotations which according to Leigh Matthew makes it near impossible to put a tag on their midfielders, and has caused problems for the opposition over the past few weeks. For this reason I like to see Picken pick up Didak instead of a midfielder, when he ventures into the middle and Morris to pick him up when he drops back. Didak likes to kick and not handball and also doesn't mind a goal averaging two a game so we need to keep him in close check.

Malthouse likes to use Didak as a burst player and often rests him on the bench, possibly allowing Picken to alternate between Didak and Davis.

Strategy

Collingwood are playing a small quick and deadly forward line with Didak venturing further up the ground more than last year. They are dropping midfielders back in to the oppositions forward line and allowing them little space in the middle. They are also bringing their backline (Heath, O'Brien and Maxwell) closer to the middle, trying to hem the opposition in or as some Collingwood wag called it the “Collingwood Clamp.” Bombing the ball into our forward line needs to be avoided for this reason instead using the lower pass to quick leading forwards and midfielders running into space.

Result: Dogs by 5 goals.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zWrR6q92k

The Coon Dog
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
o-zWrR6q92k

Great choice, drb.

He's a tricky little bugger & a bit like Nathan brown, isn't fazed when forced onto his right foot.

Go_Dogs
07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Yep, very good player and one who is increasingly dangerous as he spends more time in the middle but can still drift forward and kick multiple goals.

Not sure who is the best option for him, any of Picken, Morris, Boyd, Cross or even Griffen could be chances. Hargrave has also seemingly been playing a bit further upfield too, so perhaps one from left field could even eventuate...Gilbee could potentially be a good match up too.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
o-zWrR6q92k

Great choice, drb.

He's a tricky little bugger & a bit like Nathan brown, isn't fazed when forced onto his right foot.

Thanks for fixing the Youtube clip, Coondog.:)

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Didak is playing pretty good footy at the moment and I agree, we need to strictly limit his opportunities. I would have thought that Picken would get the job, or Morris. It will be interesting and if Pickers gets the job, I hope to see him do really well. I may be wrong but I think he has the speed and agility to go with Didak??

Mofra
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
It will be interesting and if Pickers gets the job, I hope to see him do really well. I may be wrong but I think he has the speed and agility to go with Didak??
Picken is deceptively quick - ran down a Hawks player who had no idea he would catch him on Saturday. I'm worried about Picken's lack of experience vs Didak's smarts.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Would prefer to see Picken try and shut down Dane Swan on Friday, who has been nothing short of a machine all season. Didak is tricky to match up on, and it all hinges on where he plays. Dale Morris is the first name that springs to mind - but even then maybe Cross or Boyd if Didak is spending much of the time in the middle.

Mantis
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I think I saw somewhere that he has had his highest career possession totals 3 games running. In this time he has played the bulk of his minutes in and around the midfield where his creativity and disposal has been a reason why the Pies have struck some form.

As far as who goes to him I would like to see Picken pick him up in and around the midfield and let Morris guard him when he goes forward. Big job for Liam, but one I think he is capable of doing, but if Didak gets away I think Boyd is the other obvious candidate.

bornadog
07-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I think I saw somewhere that he has had his highest career possession totals 3 games running. In this time he has played the bulk of his minutes in and around the midfield where his creativity and disposal has been a reason why the Pies have struck some form.

As far as who goes to him I would like to see Picken pick him up in and around the midfield and let Morris guard him when he goes forward. Big job for Liam, but one I think he is capable of doing, but if Didak gets away I think Boyd is the other obvious candidate.

Agree with this, I think Boyd will go with Swan.

LostDoggy
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Didak to get pants this Friday.

boydogs
08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Picken will be busy on Friday as Didak's workrate has been exceptional. Cross on O'Bree, Boyd on Swan, Griffen on Davis, Cooney on Pendlebury. Collingwood are very flexible and rotate a lot though so it will likely be a lot more fluid than this

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I am not a coach by any means of the imagination. But the Collingwood clamp did seem to work this game. Our forward line was a mess with players being drawn into the midfield, how many times did we look into our 50 when the ball was coming up the ground and there was no one to kick it to?

Bombing it into the 50 did not work - it was marked time and again by Maxwell.

Didak and Swan killed us, and unfortuantley Liam did not seem to be able to exert his usual influence, he seemed to be better when he went on the attack, kicking a couple of badly needed goals.