PDA

View Full Version : The other poacher

Sedat
09-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Been a lot of discussion about GC17 and WS18 being in a strong position to poach some of the best uncontracted talent in the AFL over the next couple of years. But there is another club that has in the vicinity of $800k extra in their salary cap, and are about to lose their 2 highest paid players next year (and their two highest profile players). The Swans have cash to burn in 2010 and will no doubt go out all guns blazing to land themselves a 'marquee' player to maintain their profile in what is still very much an ambivalent market to the Swans. Who do you think they would have their sights set on?

Froma Dogs perspective, I don't think there would be anyone that will help raise the profile of the club - certainly plenty of talent that will make them a better club on the field. I would think a high profile spearhead will attract their thoughts. Fevola, come on down? Anyone else that might be on their radar?

Go_Dogs
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
A forward is going to be their obvious need, either that or a top line mid who can allow Goodes to play forward.

No idea who they may have interest in or who would possibly be interested in a move to Sydney though.

comrade
09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Daniel Kerr?

He’s not quite a marquee name, but he’s stagnating at the Eagles and would add some much needed class into their midfield, which would allow Goodes to play as a semi-permanent forward.

Go_Dogs
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Daniel Kerr?

He’s not quite a marquee name, but he’s stagnating at the Eagles and would add some much needed class into their midfield, which would allow Goodes to play as a semi-permanent forward.

I actually thought about him whilst I was making my post above. The one thing that held me back mentioning him was the Eagles v Swans rivalry etc.

My guess is Kerr would want to play in Victoria if he left out west, but who knows.

And I'm honestly struggling to think of any other logical names...

Desipura
09-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Given that Hall has quit Sydney, I can see Fevola going there as a marquee player.

Sedat
09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
There an article in today's Age quashing such an idea, but there's plenty of grey-speak in there by Roosy. Micky O and Hall have been their top 2 goalkickers for the last 7 years - they are a low scoring team at the best of times, so how the hell are they going to post competitive scores next year? Goodes up forward (and brining in someone like Kerr to the club) has some merit but that will rob them of their only attacking playmaker and line-breaker in the middle.

Sydney's post-season list management decision-making will be very interesting to say the least. The loss of Hall, Micky O, Leo Barry, Fosdike, Crouch and Kennelly from their list leaves a massive hole of experience (and salary cap room) that their fringe players simply aren't even close to filling. They need at least a couple of senior ready-mades to fill some of the breach.

comrade
09-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Ok, how about this.

Package deal – Kerr and McKinley for Sydney’s first pick and a player (Brabazon?) and maybe a swapping of second rounders.

Swans get a two players that fill big holes in their structure and will help them keep a float.

Eagles get another top 10 pick and a young midfielder to help with their rebuild.

Mantis
09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
There an article in today's Age quashing such an idea, but there's plenty of grey-speak in there by Roosy. Micky O and Hall have been their top 2 goalkickers for the last 7 years - they are a low scoring team at the best of times, so how the hell are they going to post competitive scores next year? Goodes up forward (and brining in someone like Kerr to the club) has some merit but that will rob them of their only attacking playmaker and line-breaker in the middle.

Sydney's post-season list management decision-making will be very interesting to say the least. The loss of Hall, Micky O, Leo Barry, Fosdike, Crouch and Kennelly from their list leaves a massive hole of experience (and salary cap room) that their fringe players simply aren't even close to filling. They need at least a couple of senior ready-mades to fill some of the breach.

Who cares, 1 less team we have to worry about beating. :D

They are going to struggle, but in a sense it's come about for a few reasons:

1/ They have been successful making the finals some 7 years in a row so therefore haven't had the low draft picks which enable you to get the best young talent.

2/ They have traded their draft picks away for mature players so haven't been able to bring young talent through.

They really have to bottom out, but have picked the worst possible time to do it. Will be very interesting to see how they go about recruiting in a new breed of players.

Before I Die
09-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Freo have openly stated they are starting to rebuild (again), perhaps Pavlich is no longer untouchable.

Sedat
09-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Ok, how about this.

Package deal – Kerr and McKinley for Sydney’s first pick and a player (Brabazon?) and maybe a swapping of second rounders.

Swans get a two players that fill big holes in their structure and will help them keep a float.

Eagles get another top 10 pick and a young midfielder to help with their rebuild.
I like your lateral thinking - might help their on-field structure somewhat but McKinley is hardly going to get the punters out of bed and scrambling to get their seats at the SCG. I'm not even sure he will fully be able to adequately address their forward line issues - he's only 185cms and can't run out of sight on a dark night. I read somewhere that he also has poor endurance for someone his size and lacks repeat efforts.

I'd jump at that deal if I was West Coast.

Sedat
09-07-2009, 12:14 PM
They really have to bottom out, but have picked the worst possible time to do it. Will be very interesting to see how they go about recruiting in a new breed of players.
Dry Rot will be able to provide a better perspective, but they will struggle to get 15,000 supporters to their matches if they are sitting at 4-22 for the next few seasons with such luminaries as Lewis Johnson and Jesse White spearheading their popgun attack. Those 'major event' games at Homebush will look embarrassingly sparse - they barely got 40k against the Pies this season - and the crowd numbers contained at least 15k Pies supporters that night.

Because of the unique nature of their market, they simply cannot afford to go the whole hog in their bottoming out process. In fact, the terrible drafting position for bottom clubs trying to rebuild in the next few years might actually act as an incentive for Sydney to keep trying to trade their way into the finals for the next 3-4 seasons.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
In fact, the terrible drafting position for bottom clubs trying to rebuild in the next few years might actually act as an incentive for Sydney to keep trying to trade their way into the finals for the next 3-4 seasons.

That's the obvious massive problem with having a side in Sydney. They might delay their fall but they will also make the eventual fall a lot harder.

They are going to be awful, I think the AFL is going to give them a hand, probably linking it in with the WS18 concessions.

Dry Rot
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Dry Rot will be able to provide a better perspective, but they will struggle to get 15,000 supporters to their matches if they are sitting at 4-22 for the next few seasons with such luminaries as Lewis Johnson and Jesse White spearheading their popgun attack. Those 'major event' games at Homebush will look embarrassingly sparse - they barely got 40k against the Pies this season - and the crowd numbers contained at least 15k Pies supporters that night.

Because of the unique nature of their market, they simply cannot afford to go the whole hog in their bottoming out process. In fact, the terrible drafting position for bottom clubs trying to rebuild in the next few years might actually act as an incentive for Sydney to keep trying to trade their way into the finals for the next 3-4 seasons.

It's really hard to tell what proportion of Swans fans are real (attend most home games no matter how the team is traveling) fans and what isn't.

My gut feel is that you may be close to the money in a non-AFL dominant city.

Swans fans have got used to finals action since 2002 and more wins at home than not. They only get to see 11 live of games of footy up here, and maybe if the Swans are sitting say 2-9 next year, they may decide they have better things to do.

Interestingly, crowds for NRL up here are bugger all these days too.

However, the AFL cannot allow this to happen with a new TV rights contract on the horizon. And arguably poor teams like ours can't either.

I'm sure that the Swans could logically claim they need 3 first round draft picks from the next drafts... ;)

Dry Rot
09-07-2009, 04:07 PM
That's the obvious massive problem with having a side in Sydney. They might delay their fall but they will also make the eventual fall a lot harder.

They are going to be awful, I think the AFL is going to give them a hand, probably linking it in with the WS18 concessions.

For the sake of clubs like ours, I hope they do.

BulldogBelle
09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I think the new stadium at Bankstown will seat 10k people

I dont see Western Sydney getting much more than that to their games, and they will play at Homebush against the Swans, Collingwood and Essendon

Rocco Jones
09-07-2009, 06:03 PM

What which comment are you referring to?

Dry Rot
09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I think the AFL is going to give them a hand, probably linking it in with the WS18 concessions.

What which comment are you referring to?

As above.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
As above.

Yep, thanks for clarifying that.

I am definitely not saying that they will take anything away from WS18, just that they may give Sydney assistance on top of that.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Would the target the "Pav" or Dean Cox/Lynch. buddy could even be worth a crack, pardon the punt!

Dry Rot
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Yep, thanks for clarifying that.

I am definitely not saying that they will take anything away from WS18, just that they may give Sydney assistance on top of that.

When do the current tv rights expire?

The AFL won't get a deal like that again - the commercial FTA stations are in pretty bad financial shape.

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
They need a headline.
Fevola.

boydogs
09-07-2009, 11:21 PM
When do the current tv rights expire?

The AFL won't get a deal like that again - the commercial FTA stations are in pretty bad financial shape.

At the end of 2011

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/quantity-not-quality-the-key-to-tv-billions/2009/04/04/1238833226142.html

Interesting article

Dry Rot
09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
At the end of 2011

Thanks.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/quantity-not-quality-the-key-to-tv-billions/2009/04/04/1238833226142.html

Interesting article

Agreed.

macca
10-07-2009, 01:57 AM
I think Ashely Hansen would be worth a punt. W.C have Josh Kennedy emerging as a KPF. Another comes to mind is Johnathan Griffen of the crows. Tippett, and moran have are ahead of him, maybe a change of scene might be good for him. I think trading Wayde Skipper would be worth it, if we could get a second round pick and they key a mobile forward ready made AFL player. Corey Jones ? This is way left field but Anthony Rocca.

Sockeye Salmon
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I think Ashely Hansen would be worth a punt. W.C have Josh Kennedy emerging as a KPF. Another comes to mind is Johnathan Griffen of the crows. Tippett, and moran have are ahead of him, maybe a change of scene might be good for him. I think trading Wayde Skipper would be worth it, if we could get a second round pick and they key a mobile forward ready made AFL player. Corey Jones ? This is way left field but Anthony Rocca.

Hansen re-signed last year and while I rate him a bit higher than most, he's still just a (very) poor man's Murphy only taller. Good is still better than big.

Crows won't trade Griffen because they know Tippett will be going to the GC. Griffen wouldn't get a game with us anyway and if something happened to Minson or Hudson I'd rather give Roughead a go.

No-one will want Skipper.

Jones is another medium forward and would be about 11th in line for us. No.

Rocca? FFS.