PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood

BulldogBelle
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Friday night's game at Etihad Stadium against Collingwood.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 37 points
BOG : Adam Cooney
Brad Johnson to kick the first goal.

Max469
09-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Dogs by 15 pts

Murph 1st goal

Aker BOG

KT31
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Dogs by 7

Johnno first goal.

Boyd best on ground.

Ward rising star.

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Ward rising star.

Ward SHOULD get a rising star nom this round..he deserves it!!

Tough match, though dogs by 2 goals.

Gilbee a long goal for the 1st

and Cross for BOG.

GO DOGS!

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Dogs by 21 points

Mitch first goal.

Lake best on ground.

AndrewP6
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I am pessimistic, so I'm not going for a big margin

Dogs by 11 pts.
BOG Coooooooney
First goal to Higgins.

LostDoggy
09-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Dogs by 2pts
BOG to Higgins
Hill for first goal

boydogs
09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Dogs by 18 points
First Goal Scott Welsh
BOG Ryan Griffen
Good signs from Griff last week, hoping he will kick on now

NoParkingOnMatchDays
09-07-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm very pessimistic so will pull my expectations in a bit

Dogs by 63
Aker first 2 goals
Murphy BOG

AndrewP6
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm very pessimistic so will pull my expectations in a bit

Dogs by 63
Aker first 2 goals
Murphy BOG

:D:D Hilarious...love it. Wish I could follow suit.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Dogs by 18points
BOG Cooney
1st goal to Johnson

Friday night game, big crowd, good practice for big games. Final like atmosphere.
I think it will be a fast and high scoring game, with both side firing.
doggies home in the last quater.

Go DOGGIES!!!!!!

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Dogs by 65 points
BOG Higgins
1st Goal Josh Hill

Game to be dead at half time, with Collingwood scraping a few back in the 2nd half.

Happy Days
10-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Dogs by 13, but not a good 13.
BOG Boyd,
Minson 1st Goal.

AndrewP6
10-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Dogs by 65 points
BOG Higgins
1st Goal Josh Hill

Game to be dead at half time, with Collingwood scraping a few back in the 2nd half.

To paraphrase the world's worst journo CARO - that's a HUGE CALL

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 01:46 AM
To paraphrase the world's worst journo CARO - that's a HUGE CALL

Well it would've been a huge call to say we would smash the Hawks last week. Just because this game is really hyped up and its two teams in good form doesn't mean it's going to be close on the scoreboard :p

AndrewP6
10-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Well it would've been a huge call to say we would smash the Hawks last week. Just because this game is really hyped up and its two teams in good form doesn't mean it's going to be close on the scoreboard :p

Good point.:)

Go_Dogs
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Dogs by 6 goals.
Griffen BOG.
First goal Johnson.

Can't wait for this one tonight.

Mantis
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Dogs by 34pts
1st doal - Hahn
BOG - Cooney

I know in my mind that we are a better team than Collingwood, I hope we go a long way to proving it tonight.

The Coon Dog
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Dogs by 26 points.

Aker 1st goal & Shaggy BOG.

comrade
10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Dogs by 22 points after scores are level at half time.

1st Goal: Welsh
BOG: Picken for his job on Didak

Hill to sit on someone’s head for another Mark of the Year contender

The Pie Man
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Dogs by 24 pts
Hahn first goal
Higgins BOG

The Underdog
10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Dogs by 13 points.
Welsh 1st goal
Cooney BOG

On a side note, I've got a couple of spare tix as I've had some friends pull out. They're level 3, row b on a flank. PM me if you're interested.

1eyedog
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Dogs by 42 points
Minson 1st goal
Cooney BOG

Hoping Mick doesn't try to strangle the game.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Dogs by 38
Higgins 1st goal
Boyd BOG

Bulldog Revolution
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I know in my mind that we are a better team than Collingwood.

Is that because the voices in your head have told you so?

Ozza
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Dogs by 27 points after the pies get a few goals in junk time.

Coons to be best on ground.
Johnson first goal.

Supremely confident tonight....and I'm not generally like this....

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Looking forward to this big clash.

Streak of 5 vs Streak of 6 - Both teams havent had the hardest run..time to face a big challenge.

Dogs by 16pts
Higgins BOG
Johnno first goal

Mantis
10-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Is that because the voices in your head have told you so?

Yeah something like that. :D

bornadog
10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Higgins first Goal

BOG - Griffen

Dogs by 18 points

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Dogs by 31
BOG - Lake
First goal - Hill

Is the game a fully ticketed one?

The Coon Dog
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Is the game a fully ticketed one?

No, but best to get there early.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Trying not to be worried about tonight, so I too have held back a little:

Dogs by 30 points
BOG = Higgins
First goal = Aker

Go Dogs :D

aker39
10-07-2009, 04:19 PM
No, but best to get there early.

If people can't get there early, but want to make sure you get in, they are now selling standing room tickets.

So if you are a member, go online, it will cost you only $3.60 per ticket (plus $5.50 per booking)

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Dogs by 33 points with first goal to Aker.

Bulldog Revolution
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah something like that. :D

My voices are saying relax its all taken care of

But I admire the determination of this Collingwood side and am sure they will put up a fight

The Bulldogs Bite
10-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Dogs by 17.

First goal to Johnson.

BOG to Cooney.

Mofra
10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Dogs by 46
First Goal to Cooney
BOG Griffen
Hill to take Mark of the Week
Stack to play well in the VFL ;)

The Pie Man
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I rarely post such frivolity, but I've been crook all week, I'm just starting to come good, I'm about to leave work, I reckon we'll beat the Pies tonight ..and since I don't know what winning an AFL flag feels like I can confidently say there's no better feeling in football, and I'm PUMPED! GO DOGS!!!!

BulldogBelle
10-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Dogs by 51 points
First Goal = Hahn
BOG = Gilbee

Smash 'em 'scray.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Um, faaaaaark.

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Um, faaaaaark.

Yes, first quarter is kind of interesting for those who claim we don't need a tall forward and our forward set-up is all fine and dandy.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
It just gets worse! Argh! Frustration!

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 10:26 PM
!!!!

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Note to self: kick Leon Davis in the kneecaps.

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Are we 6 men short tonight? We don't seem to have a forward line......

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Are we 6 men short tonight? We don't seem to have a forward line......

Our delivery has been less than average though which doesn't help.
Some times I feel that in order to compensate for our unorthodox forward set up, we rely on a high risk game plan. When our skills in executing are a bit off, then all of a sudden we don't look capable of scoring and in turn, the resulting turnovers allow teams to score heavily against us.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Um....What The!?!?!?! Come on Dogs.....

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Our delivery has been less than average though which doesn't help.
Some times I feel that in order to compensate for our unorthodox forward set up, we rely on a high risk game plan. When our skills in executing are a bit off, then all of a sudden we don't look capable of scoring and in turn, the resulting turnovers allow teams to score heavily against us.

But if we're playing against top notch teams in a final, we can't expect optimum delivery.

The Pies have just shown why we won't win a flag with this forward set-up. You see bits of this briefly in every game IMO, and then a side like the Pies shows how it is done for a whole game.

I'm only listening to ABC radio - they reckon our defenders have done OK but our forwardline is non-existent.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2009, 11:01 PM
But if we're playing against top notch teams in a final, we can't expect optimum delivery.
The Pies have just shown why we won't win a flag with this forward set-up. You see bits of this briefly in every game IMO, and then a side like the Pies shows how it is done for a whole game.

I'm only listening to ABC radio - they reckon our defenders have done OK but our forwardline is non-existent.

That's my point exactly though DR. Because of our small forward line we have to play a style that forces us to play high risk, and when we are slightly off with our delivery we are in trouble, and get scored against quickly.

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 11:09 PM
That's my point exactly though DR. Because of our small forward line we have to play a style that forces us to play high risk, and when we are slightly off with our delivery we are in trouble, and get scored against quickly.

I think we're on the same page here. If we win this, it doesn't paper over our deficiencies IMO.

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Goal to Thomas - I think we've had it now.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Nooooooooo! Not by one point! Jffydfqjlfiyqteutqfliy!!!

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Nooooooooo! Not by one point! Jffydfqjlfiyqteutqfliy!!!

We didn't deserve to win.

LostDoggy
10-07-2009, 11:25 PM
We didn't deserve to win.

Oh, I agree with that, its just that its one point. Those one point wins or losses bring on the flood of "what ifs". And we've had a few of those "what if" moments in the last couple of years.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I think we're on the same page here. If we win this, it doesn't paper over our deficiencies IMO.

Agree. We would've stolen that game, not deserved it. Can't expect to turn up for 1 qtr and expect to roll a bottom side, much less a top 4 side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh, I agree with that, its just that its one point. Those one point wins or losses bring on the flood of "what ifs". And we've had a few of those "what if" moments in the last couple of years.

True Sophie, and the scrutiny is only going to get heavier in 2 weeks time when we play the Saints. We've got a tough run home, and we now do not have the luxury of a game break on the Pies.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Agree. We would've stolen that game, not deserved it. Can't expect to turn up for 1 qtr and expect to roll a bottom side, much less a top 4 side.

And yet, turn up for a quarter we did and nearly beat a top 4 side.

While the mental side of things is frustrating as hell, there's nothing like a final to focus the mind, and I think it's pretty clear that the Dogs' best is quite some way better than Collingwood's, we just never saw anywhere near enough of it tonight.

But we always knew the Pies would get up for this game -- under Mickey they are the ultimate underdog team, getting up for these types of games while dropping those against the likes of Essendon etc.

Nothing I saw tonight suggests that they are a finals threat.

Would have been nice to sneak it though -- Johnno spoiled Mitch Hahn's final shot from 55 that was going through that would have put the Dogs 4 points ahead with 2 mins to go!!!!!!

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:54 AM
agree. We would've stolen that game, not deserved it. Can't expect to turn up for 1 qtr and expect to roll a bottom side, much less a top 4 side.
bingo!

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Malthouse played Eade on a break in the first quarter. We should be able to beat sides like the Pies not struggle against them.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:05 AM
What a joke of a decision the mark/none mark against Higgins was, cost us a goal.

One umpire inside the 50 pays a mark, and then gets overruled by the other who is controlling the middle of the ground.

Joke.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:09 AM
What a joke of a decision the mark/none mark against Higgins was, cost us a goal.

One umpire inside the 50 pays a mark, and then gets overruled by the other who is controlling the middle of the ground.

Joke.
And it was just so inconsistent. One ump was great, letting play flow, mcInerney the balding guy i think he is, just kept blowing the freaking thing and being over officious. But we gave away stupid frees and even more stupid 50's and missed our crucial moments, and touched the winning goal on the line as not to win and nearly stole the game anyways.

But still, we are now back in the back for 3rd and 4th, not clear, We are not safe.

Happy Days
11-07-2009, 01:26 AM
For those who watched the game on the tube, how did Johnno's 'spoil' on Hahn's goal look?

G-Mo77
11-07-2009, 01:26 AM
On a brighter note I did hear some good calls tonight from some old ladys sitting behind me.

"He's all over him like and old coat"

"He's all over his back, maybe he should wear a saddle"

There were heaps more but I can't remember them. I got a really good laugh out of listening to some old classics.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:38 AM
On a brighter note I did hear some good calls tonight from some old ladys sitting behind me.

There were heaps more but I can't remember them. I got a really good laugh out of listening to some old classics.
Lucky you, i love that stuff too. I got a Pies dad teaching his 4yo son to 'boo' at every good thing the opposition does. Nice to know he will grow into a foul mouthed arsewipe like his dad who has no respect for the game.

G-Mo77
11-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Lucky you, i love that stuff too. I got a Pies dad teaching his 4yo son to 'boo' at every good thing the opposition does. Nice to know he will grow into a foul mouthed arsewipe like his dad who has no respect for the game.

Sorry to hear that. Lucky for me I got a 3 game reserved seat special this week so I'll get to hear from them again a couple more times.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Sorry to hear that. Lucky for me I got a 3 game reserved seat special this week so I'll get to hear from them again a couple more times.
I was medallion club, and usually the guests are pretty good. But i was infuriated with one guy behind me dropped the 'f' bomb every two minutes with my wife and mother in law there. The little kid saw that as acceptable behaviour too, to copy wht he was saying slagging individual dogs players for myriad reasons. Collingwood people make me not to want to go to the footy.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:22 AM
For those who watched the game on the tube, how did Johnno's 'spoil' on Hahn's goal look?

The same way it would have looked on the ground. Stupid.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:25 AM
The same way it would have looked on the ground. Stupid.
I wonder what the media will do with it. Let it go, or use it to get into him a little?

Sockeye Salmon
11-07-2009, 02:29 AM

Fraser had it covered.

Hot_Doggies
11-07-2009, 02:30 AM
I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Johno. When you watch the replay the ball only misses Presti's (i think it was him) fingers by cm's.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Fraser had it covered.

Fraser couldn't jump by that stage of the game.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 03:04 AM

If Johnno hadn't gone for it, there were a couple of Pies who would've...

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 03:09 AM

Had a shocker, crowd-wise... up on level 3, near the screen at the Lockett end (I think) lot of Collingwood morons in the area, doing nothing to dispel the folklore of feral Pies fans... being in a wheelchair, I get stuck with some 'interesting' people sitting in the surrounding bays... most I can ignore, tonight a bit different. Woman two spots down from me, who I managed to ignore for most of the game, told me I should ditch the Dogs and cheer the Pies... I told her I'd do that, but I still have all my own teeth! There were some others, but that one sticks in my memory...

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:12 AM
I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Johno. When you watch the replay the ball only misses Presti's (i think it was him) fingers by cm's.

I agree, I had a pretty good view from my seat and it didn't look like it would make it on it's own. Thought Johnno made the right decision (perhaps his only one all night).

Go_Dogs
11-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Pretty disappointing game really - although it did demonstrate one thing. We are a brilliant side when we want to be, but when we're not prepared to work hard enough, we're still very vulnerable. Last night we played 1 decent qtr of football and nearly won the game against the (now) apparent 'third best side' in the competition.

There were too many non-contributors and our ball movement in the forward half, especially coming into the F50 was poo most of the night. Even Aker was guilty of meaningless bombs a few times entering the F50. Collingwoods pressure was good, but I didn't think it was as good as we made it look.

Whilst Picken came good with a few second half goals which tilted him back into my good books, I didn't see a decent match up for him.

Lake was sensational and is back in form. What a game.

Hargrave continues to play well - although did cough up a couple of goals with some poor defensive work.

Boyd I thought was fantastic through the middle. Composed, took the game on, just has time with the ball to weigh up his options.

Griff came alive towards the end and had quite a few meaningful pieces of play, his goal under pressure at the end was very classy, as was a pick up and quick dish which caught the commentators eye last night.

Minson is so important. Did a few good things and really tries to get the ball moving out of the centre - something the Pies did all night, and we didn't.

Eagleton needs a rest - his last few weeks have been very quiet and when he's not offering much offensively he's not offering much.

Welsh battled hard all night but nothing went his way.

Stupid 50m penalties cost us dearly in the end. Not our best performance, but we showed we are right up there. When we ca string more than a good qtr or two together, watch out.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I thought if it wasn't for Aker, the game might have been over a lot earlier.

Worked so hard all game, and was keeping us alive.

bornadog
11-07-2009, 02:54 PM

In the first half, Cooney and Griffen couldn't get any where near the ball and it was Cross and Aker propping up the midfield.

I was really disappointed in Griffens game last night, even though he had 24 possessions, he rarely hurt the opposition.

Hot_Doggies
11-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Griff came alive towards the end and had quite a few meaningful pieces of play, his goal under pressure at the end was very classy, as was a pick up and quick dish which caught the commentators eye last night.

It would of been more classy if he had a left foot.

The Pie Man
11-07-2009, 04:37 PM

And hasn't he looked bad on the left when using it recently? Really surprised such a classy footballer isn't at least competent on his wrong side.

I started to think to myself last night 'Adelaide, I'll give you Griff for Kurt Tippett' Would never have thought that before the emergence of Higgins as a real star, and he's going to be a massive presence in this league.

I still think he's great, just would love his disposal to become consistently clean like we've seen it can be.

Stefcep
12-07-2009, 12:37 AM

Real fan of Acker. The guy has won everything there is in football, in the twilight of his career, and he busts a gut week in week out for us. Every time I see him he always gives it his all, never seen him remonstrate with a team mate-unlike Johno- and he still chases kids even though they're faster than him even if he won't catch 'em. The other thing is I have the perception that opposition players tackle him just that bit harder because of who he is, but he takes it all in his stride. There was one kick he bombed, but the pressure from the pies at that point was huge.

Stefcep
12-07-2009, 12:38 AM

Absolutely, he got away with it on the right boot coz of murphs shepperd