PDA

View Full Version : Ins and outs v Bombers

Dry Rot
10-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Are Welsh and Hill injured?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Welsh copped a knock to the head. Not sure about Hill being injured, but tonight was a dismal effort from him, was very poor and hardly sighted with the exception of a good tackle late in the game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Out: Williams- he really needs to find some form and continuity in the VFL, he looked terribly underdone and lost tonight

In: Everitt if he plays well for Willy this weekend.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Williams got a game tonight on reputation and was a liability.

Tiller or Everitt to come in.

Also Hill apart from a specky every now and then and late goals isn't doing enough. Reid or Stack perhaps.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2009, 12:19 AM

Agreed.

Williams has shown nothing and didn't deserve to play. He was absolutely terrible tonight.

Reid/Everitt in.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Agreed.

Williams has shown nothing and didn't deserve to play. He was absolutely terrible tonight.

Reid/Everitt in.

He wasn't great, granted, but his opponent was Leigh Brown, how did he do?

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

He was caught numerous times between ball watching and his man who was miles off him. If form is the criteria to get into the eam Everitt could have done better.

I know tonight was a shocker, i just hope this is him getting into the swing of things and Tiller hasn't surpassed him, if he is to be the great white hope.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2009, 12:48 AM

Which is the whole point.

It's Leigh Brown, you could of played anybody on him and it wouldn't of made a difference.

We would of done far better with somebody else in the side. A player who was in actual form - Addison/Callan.

Williams' efforts were shocking. He was lucky Cloke missed his easy shot on goal and Swan somehow kicked his out on the full.

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Anyone who saw Williams last week knew he wasn't quite ready but he is certainly one player who doesn't necessarily get promoted to the seniors on form.
If there is a good match up for him for next week we probably should stick with him.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Anyone who saw Williams last week knew he wasn't quite ready but he is certainly one player who doesn't necessarily get promoted to the seniors on form.
If there is a good match up for him for next week we probably should stick with him.
Llyod or Lucas who are both back to some decent form?

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't think they will drop Williams now based on the fact that he got through this game. He should be better next week. :D

Let's smash the bombers!

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Williams won't be dropped, and he shouldn't either. He needs games under his belt, and he can't get them playing at Williamstown. He is very vital for our structure, and if he isn't there in finals we will struggle.

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Llyod or Lucas who are both back to some decent form?

You would have to think Lake on Lloyd is a certainty and Williams against Lucas a possibility.

Hot_Doggies
11-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Once again William's punching with the wrong arm. The play where he crunched Lockyer,he should of punched that with the left and found the line. Let the ball get over the back and resulted in a goal.

Has been a problem at least half a dozen times this year.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:16 AM
You would have to think Lake on Lloyd is a certainty and Williams against Lucas a possibility.
I hope i eat my words, but i dont like players of such little vintage getting gamnes on reputation. Grant is not for instance. The ability to consistently do your job in the VFL should be the criteria. Everitt has done his job week in and week out and looks no closer to even getting to cut the oranges.

G-Mo77
11-07-2009, 01:22 AM
I really can't see Wiliiams being dropped considering he played tonight when he shouldn't have.

I'm not sure who you would drop though. Hill was rather disappointing he gave up on so many contests far to easily for my likings. Although it is still hard to see him get dropped.

Welsh had an off night and probably could be in the mix for the axe but again it is hard to see him get dropped as well.

There is a good chance there will be no change next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Hahn did some OK things in the last including nearly kicking the winning goal, but boy - he's had a shocking year and has been out of form for a long while.

Not sure how he's still in the side.

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 01:26 AM
I really can't see Wiliiams being dropped considering he played tonight when he shouldn't have.

I'm not sure who you would drop though. Hill was rather disappointing he gave up on so many contests far to easily for my likings. Although it is still hard to see him get dropped.

Welsh had an off night and probably could be in the mix for the axe but again it is hard to see him get dropped as well.

There is a good chance there will be no change next week.

I tend to think that Hill might be the one that cops the heat but his pace would be handy against the Bombers. Hard to say who might get the chop.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:28 AM
I tend to think that Hill might be the one that cops the heat but his pace would be handy against the Bombers. Hard to say who might get the chop.
Hill has not done enough in the past 4 weeks to hold his spot. What 'pace' did he add to the team tonight?

If i'm wrong i'm happy to be told so with some fact/stat, that doesn't include junktime goals and speckies.

G-Mo77
11-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Hill has not done enough in the past 4 weeks to hold his spot. What 'pace' did he add to the team tonight?

If i'm wrong i'm happy to be told so with some fact/stat, that doesn't include junktime goals and speckies.

Sadly you're probably right on the money.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Sadly you're probably right on the money.
Stackalicious has been playing well since going back, it might be time for a swap and reality check for Josh to understand what he needs to do. Cause right now, i dont see much and certainly no 'pace' that Stack has too, and Stack has VFL form.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 01:47 AM

Tiller or Everitt to come in.

Also Hill apart from a specky every now and then and late goals isn't doing enough. Reid or Stack perhaps.

Williams got a game tonight because we needed him for matchups. Tiller hasn't played for weeks and Everitt has yet to prove he is anything other than a winger/hbf. Williams may not have been ready but he is the only player we've got who's close to being able be a genuine 2nd tall in the back half (with apologies to Dale Morris who does a great impersonation).

Hill wasn't good tonight but when he is he provides something that we don't have otherwise especially with his marking ability. His defensive efforts in the forward line up until tonight have been good when he hasn't been great otherwise. If he's to be replaced I think it's only because someone like Grant is ready for another shot, or maybe Stack to go back and free Murphy to go forward. There's no point making change for change sake.

Most likely injuries aside we make no change.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 01:59 AM

Garry Lyon on Triple M said they believed Welsh hurt his shoulder...

G-Mo77
11-07-2009, 02:01 AM

His shoulder looked fine to me. He tested it out a few times on sheparding opposition players.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:01 AM
And gave him two votes for worst on ground.

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 02:07 AM
In Murphy to play forward Pleeeeeeease
No change

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 02:08 AM
A less rational and reasonable version of me might've called for a half-dozen changes. But I'm nothing if not reasonable (and I've calmed down a TINY bit!). I think Williams was pretty ordinary tonight, but will be saved because he needs time, and does help our backline structure. Hill too was ordinary, but I don't think he'll go. My man Welsh (possibly injured) was not much chop, but think he can come good.

So after all that, for mine, it's no changes. God I hope they get it done.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 02:10 AM
And gave him two votes for worst on ground.

Did he? I didn't hear that... must've thrown the headphones in disgust!... For mine, I'd give WOG (worst on ground) to Jack Anthony... Lake spanked him...

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Wouldn't have thought they'd drop Williams [he gets oudbodied and outsmarted] too often though. This will all come with experience at senior level. In fairness the guy has played 20 odd games so let's all just take a deep breath.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
In: Everitt and Stack
Out: Welsh (poss. inj) and Hill

Why: Hill needs a spell, not gettting any real magic and i haven't seen to much of his pace lately. Bob needs to play forward and the type of defender Bob plays can be played by Everitt, as it's more a flanker and play through player with great foot skills as opposed to genuine KPP back. Both incomers have put together many weeks of good form at VFL level and a message needs to be sent to the playing group that there are many talented players at Willi, most performing week in and out to get a spot and you need to regularly perform in the RW&B.

For this game: Stack's pace and excitement would be good, Bob up front makes us more attacking and Everitt gives flexibility and he needs some time as does Tommy. They could be vital finals players.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Did he? I didn't hear that... must've thrown the headphones in disgust!... For mine, I'd give WOG (worst on ground) to Jack Anthony... Lake spanked him...
MMM - Worst on ground

One - Leigh Brown
Two - Scott Welsh
Three - Jack Anthony

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 02:18 AM
MMM - Worst on ground

One - Leigh Brown
Two - Scott Welsh
Three - Jack Anthony

thanks for the update!

lemmon
11-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Wouldnt mind getting Hill away from FF for a while and let him roam across the wing and half back, much like last year. We have to get games into Williams so for me no change or perhaps give Hill a rest and bring in Everitt.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:17 AM
If Welsh is injured, and Grant takes another dozen marks and kicks a few goals he would be my choice.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 11:31 AM
MMM - Worst on ground

One - Leigh Brown
Two - Scott Welsh
Three - Jack Anthony

How did or does Nathan Eagleton escape scrutiny for his less than impressive performance last night. 9 possessions for a midfielder is well short of the mark. Struggling to recall any passage of play where he had a meaningful impact other than running back into a marking contest.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
How did or does Nathan Eagleton escape scrutiny for his less than impressive performance last night. 9 possessions for a midfielder is well short of the mark. Struggling to recall any passage of play where he had a meaningful impact other than running back into a marking contest.

I was waiting for it, agree 100%. Eagle was running at full steam towards goal and his opponent was stationary, still could not break the tackle and kick a goal. He decided to handball it off to a player in a less than ideal postion.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I know that Williams has potential to be a very good player however I cant believe people on here think he should be getting senior games just to give him the opportunity to gain experience.

What ever happened to earning your spot by becoming a very good player at the next level down and then being promoted to the senior level with form and confidence.

Tom looked lost tonight and I feel that his selection probably cost us the game. If we had used an in-form defender such as Callan, Addision or Tiller we may not have leaked those 2-3 easy goals and points.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:45 AM
How many 198cm 100kg quick players do we have on our list?
Going in with another small may or may not work short term, what happens in September against Kosi/Reiwoldt and co?
We need to build a backline that can play on these kpp's otherwise we again will be where we finished last year.
hopefully its the "short term pain, long term gain" theory

comrade
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Eagleton continues to prove that he's a liability when real pressure is applied.

To quote a wise man - someone like Stack would've most likely had a below par game last night, but at least you know he'll learn from it the week after.

I fear in a couple of months, when we're fighting tooth and nail in a final - Eagleton will again go to water.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
How many 198cm 100kg quick players do we have on our list?
Going in with another small may or may not work short term, what happens in September against Kosi/Reiwoldt and co?
We need to build a backline that can play on these kpp's otherwise we again will be where we finished last year.
hopefully its the "short term pain, long term gain" theory

I agree.

You need a good structure to win a flag, and without Williams we don't have it.

If you take him away, then it leaves or back half & forward half lacking.

Mantis
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Eagleton continues to prove that he's a liability when real pressure is applied.

To quote a wise man - someone like Stack would've most likely had a below par game last night, but at least you know he'll learn from it the week after.

I fear in a couple of months, when we're fighting tooth and nail in a final - Eagleton will again go to water.

I might have to share a drink with this wise man. :)

I am seen as a serial Eagleton basher which I am happy to live with, but I think these comments make a fair bit of sense.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
It was Williams' first game back. Eade mentioned that his form did not warrant selection but he wanted to get some games into him. He has to play.

I agree with the Eagle comments. How be interesting to see Andrejs play off a similar role to Eagle, I guess he wouldn't have the tank.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 12:07 PM
If we are prepared to give Williams more time, why can we not give J. Grant some time as well?
Out Welsh/Hahn in Grant.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
If we are prepared to give Williams more time, why can we not give J. Grant some time as well?
Out Welsh/Hahn in Grant.

Eade is giving more time to Williams as he thinks he can become a valuable part of the side during the finals, whereas Grant is more about 10/11.

I do like Grant but can you imagine him in a big final with his tank and defensive pressure? Cue Matthew Scarlett game with 15 marks and 30 disposals.

Rance Fan
11-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I thought Hahn was ok. For me Eagleton,Hill,Welsh didnt do enough. Williams needs gametime and hopefully improves and plays tighter...hopefully.

I think we may need Everitt to play for Eagleton in the future and need a big player up forward for Welsh in future ..(bouman,roughead,cordy??)....future....maybe sooner rather than later.?

In - Stack
Out - Hill

BulldogBelle
11-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Out: Welsh and Hill

Eagleton to stay but is very lucky...

In: Everitt and either Addison, Ward or Reid

When MURPHY played forward last night he virtually got us back into the game with his lead and mark, kicking and decison making.

Shaggy and Morris can play on smaller forwards, they are quick enough, Everitt can come in to play on a larger forward in the Murphy mould

Hill just didnt show enough intensity for my liking....and hasnt for a couple of weeks

I dont think that our forward line has room for both of Hahn and Welsh, they are both very slow, and when you add Minson down there opposition teams defenders tear us new ones with those three plus Johnson....four guys that I respect but at times wouldnt beat Fatty Arbuckle in a sprint

Happy Days
11-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I hear Welsh is in the team to help with our 'structure', giving us something to kick to, etc.

Couldn't Jarrad give us that, and potential to boot?

In: Grant
Out: Welsh

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I think he was lucky, but perhaps Leigh Brown cleaning him up may had him slip out.

You can only pick 3 :)

bornadog
11-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I thought Williams did ok, as he was needed to match up on the dud Leigh Brown.

Welsh was woeful, even before he coped a knock to the head. 4 disposals for the game, is pathetic. Eageloton, two weeks in a row now couldn't get into the game.

Out: Welsh, Eagleton

In: Everitt, Reid (if groin ok), or Addison, or Stack depending on game tomorrow.

hujsh
11-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I hear Welsh is in the team to help with our 'structure', giving us something to kick to, etc.

Couldn't Jarrad give us that, and potential to boot?

In: Grant
Out: Welsh

Grant doesn't quite have the body of a guy like Welsh yet

boydogs
12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
No Change
I would like to keep the side as settled as possible from here on in

strebla
12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I would send Welsh and Hahn back to willy and Bring in Grant and O'Keefe. Ego and Ward should also be but on notice gee we missed Gia a lot more than I thought we would.

Go_Dogs
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
If someone has a big day out for the Williamstown side, then possible a change.

Players who'd be under the pump:

Hill, Welsh and Eagleton - probably in that order.

If Stack has a good game, I'd be bringing him in for Hill. Besides that, there isn't really much we can do as far as helping our match ups v the Bombers. At least, not that I can see at this stage... ;)

Scorlibo
12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I would send Welsh and Hahn back to willy and Bring in Grant and O'Keefe. Ego and Ward should also be but on notice gee we missed Gia a lot more than I thought we would.

Hahn was one of our better players, worked hard all night providing a target on a quality opponent in Maxwell and was one of the few forwards who could be seen applying the pressure as Collingwood looked to clear.

I really can't see there being any changes, for 3 reasons:

1 - Any player being promoted from Willy would be given just a 5 day break. (rules most of the kids out)
2 - Eade has refused to drop many senior players after they have been through a form slump.
3 - We play Essendon next week who will play a far more free-flowing style and Eagleton and Hill will get a lot more of the ball away from the contest.

Bulldog Joe
12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Hahn was one of our better players, worked hard all night providing a target on a quality opponent in Maxwell and was one of the few forwards who could be seen applying the pressure as Collingwood looked to clear.

I really can't see there being any changes, for 3 reasons:

1 - Any player being promoted from Willy would be given just a 5 day break. (rules most of the kids out)2 - Eade has refused to drop many senior players after they have been through a form slump.
3 - We play Essendon next week who will play a far more free-flowing style and Eagleton and Hill will get a lot more of the ball away from the contest.

I logged on to post this precise point.

Against Essendon we need to counter their run. We are advantages with a 7 day break for one of the few times all season. We cannot afford to throw that away by bringing in Willi players who have come off a nail biter with a 5 day break.

For me no change unless required due to injury and the only possible inclusion is Sam Reid who has had the week off.

I do believe we need to give serious consideration to resting players like Eagleton when we are coming off 6 day breaks.

Happy Days
12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Grant doesn't quite have the body of a guy like Welsh yet

Obviously not, but he can lead in a straight line and get beaten in one-on-ones just as good as Welsh can.

Bulldog4life
12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't think that there would be many changes if any at all. We have to remember that we lost by only 1 point and beat them on just about every stat except the scoreboard.

1eyedog
12-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Williams won't be dropped, and he shouldn't either. He needs games under his belt, and he can't get them playing at Williamstown. He is very vital for our structure, and if he isn't there in finals we will struggle.

I agree with this. Barring injuries, no change.

Mofra
12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
For me no change unless required due to injury and the only possible inclusion is Sam Reid who has had the week off.
Agree 100%. Assuming Reid was seriously injured last week in the first place - he spent more of the 4th quarter on the ground than Higgins, Cooney or Griffen in an attempt to keep them fresh.

Our coaching staff would obviously have known Willy have a 5 day break so Reid's departure may have been part of the contingency planning.

Williams is needed come finals, and needs to play in the senior group to get the feel of when to peel off his man, and to work out when Morris, Lake, Gilbee, Shaggy etc. will do it as well.

At this stage of the year, list management is probably more important than form.

Mantis
13-07-2009, 08:42 AM
No change for me.

From what I saw yesterday I believe Tim Callan is the most deserving of a promotion and from what I saw on Friday night we are probably a small defender short, but due to the short break I think we have to go with what we have.

Players on notice from my perspective would be Hill, Welsh, Eagleton & Ward. (in no particular order)

Desipura
13-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I know he kicked 3 goals but I was not that impressed with Hahn who allowed Maxwell to rebound way too easily for my liking. Alot of their goals came from the rebounding of Maxwell & O'Brien. Thats the way I saw it anyway

Sedat
13-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I know he kicked 3 goals but I was not that impressed with Hahn who allowed Maxwell to rebound way too easily for my liking. Alot of their goals came from the rebounding of Maxwell & O'Brien. Thats the way I saw it anyway
Like a lot of our players on the night, Hahn was terrific in the last qtr but well below par in the first 3. Maxwell, O'Brien, Shaw and even Goldsack were given a far too easy passage out of defence, which ultimately allowed Collingwood to make the most of their forward thrusts as their defence and midfield were not placed under anywhere near enough pressure when they carried the ball out of defensive 50.

No change for this week - we'll need the extra tall defensive coverage again this week with Lloyd and Lucas back in good form. A couple of players on notice, but one poor performance does not need an instant reaction at the selection table.

bornadog
13-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Players on notice from my perspective would be Hill, Welsh, Eagleton & Ward. (in no particular order)

Agree these guys need to improve, however, was Ward playing a different role on Friday? He seem to be tagging that little sh*t Thomas, for a lot of the game?

Mantis
13-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Agree these guys need to improve, however, was Ward playing a different role on Friday? He seem to be tagging that little sh*t Thomas, for a lot of the game?

It seemed that way, I think they are trying to develop him in different roles and playing off a HBF looks like one such role.

He has dropped away a little over the last couple of weeks after an excellent month, but due to his obvious inexperience I guess that was to be expected.

Hope he can perform well against the side he grew up barracking for this Friday night.

Mofra
13-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Williams has a history of firing after one or two games back. I can't see him being dropped unless injured. Eagleton and Hill are very suspect when the pressure is on and their spots would have to come under notice if we drop one against the lower teams like Essendon, but for the time being I wouldn't make any changes.
Both have been below par for a couple of weeks - the question is do we have anyone who can replace them for a similar role?

Stack looks better now than before his debut, but didn't feature in the best last week. Timmy Callan has been playing well for weeks now but I'm not sure Eade will put him in the midfield, and Harbrow has the small BP spot.

Mantis
13-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Both have been below par for a couple of weeks - the question is do we have anyone who can replace them for a similar role?

Stack looks better now than before his debut, but didn't feature in the best last week. Timmy Callan has been playing well for weeks now but I'm not sure Eade will put him in the midfield, and Harbrow has the small BP spot.

I think he needs help down there and especially against small players who are good overhead.

Mofra
13-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I think he needs help down there and especially against small players who are good overhead.
Stokes did have it all over him overhead as well, maybe a chop out from teammates should be in order? It's a hard one because he's been giving us so much drive on the rebound and has been competing very well at ground level.

I'm not a fan of Addison overhead (at all) and Callan can lose his footing when the ball is on the deck, so all three have trade-offs. I'd still have Harbrow ahead of them.

Mantis
13-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Stokes did have it all over him overhead as well, maybe a chop out from teammates should be in order? It's a hard one because he's been giving us so much drive on the rebound and has been competing very well at ground level.

I'm not a fan of Addison overhead (at all) and Callan can lose his footing when the ball is on the deck, so all three have trade-offs. I'd still have Harbrow ahead of them.

For Harbrow I think it's just a body size issue, he just doesn't have the body strength of more physically mature opponents. I would hope that he isn't made to pick up the 'stronger' smalls over the coming weeks and he is allowed to pick up suitable opponents based on body shape.

I still think Callan could be handy in the finals (as he was last year) and would hope to see him given another chance shortly.

Sedat
13-07-2009, 11:28 PM
You think? He's not quite at Gilbee's spoiling level yet but I think Harbrow has improved immeasurably since the Geelong game with his spoiling ability, in particiular his timing at the marking contest.

Mofra
14-07-2009, 11:26 AM
You think? He's not quite at Gilbee's spoiling level yet but I think Harbrow has improved immeasurably since the Geelong game with his spoiling ability, in particiular his timing at the marking contest.
He is good if he gets a run up, however if his oppoonent gets some body touch before jumping for the ball he can be caught out of position. As Mantis has mentioned, size is a factor in these cases.

bornadog
14-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Eade said the Bulldogs were likely to enter the match unchanged after getting through the weekend without any injuries.

I guess end of thread:D

soupman
14-07-2009, 03:34 PM
He is good if he gets a run up, however if his oppoonent gets some body touch before jumping for the ball he can be caught out of position. As Mantis has mentioned, size is a factor in these cases.

This is pretty much it. He's good when there's no pressure applied on him giving him a clear run at the footy.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2009, 04:45 PM

The club will have to closely monitor his progress in this area, along with working on strategies to either a) help Harbrow overcome it or b) structure a plan to lend support. I suspect sides will be putting more of an emphasis on Harbrow's play in the second half of this season, and especially in the Finals.

Friday Night was a prime example; Davis beat him in the air a few times as you'd expect, but Harbrow killed Dick in the air and at ground level.

It will be interesting when we play Geelong if he'll goto Stokes again.

Mofra
14-07-2009, 04:57 PM
The club will have to closely monitor his progress in this area, along with working on strategies to either a) help Harbrow overcome it or b) structure a plan to lend support. I suspect sides will be putting more of an emphasis on Harbrow's play in the second half of this season, and especially in the Finals.

Friday Night was a prime example; Davis beat him in the air a few times as you'd expect, but Harbrow killed Dick in the air and at ground level.

It will be interesting when we play Geelong if he'll go to Stokes again.
Alot will depend if Geelong play two talls or not - a Geelong forwardline with Hawkins & Mooney leaves Morris, Shaggy, Gilbee & Harbrow as the remaining backman (assuming Lake & Williams are in the side).

If we have the luxury of trying Shaggy first on Stokes by putting Morris on Stevie J, throw Gilbee on Rooke then we'd have Harbrow remining to go to perhaps Varcoe who I don't think is as good in the air as Stokes. Shaggy would get 2nd crack at Stevie J, however if Chapman goes forward Harbrow will be too light for him & that would force a re-shuffle.

Just going through the player list we may end up having Stokes as the only suitable match-up for Harbrow.

I would expect that Harbrow is one who gets alot of attention from Geelong because his run could cut ribbons through their zone; moreso than even Gilbee's or Shaggy's footskills.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2009, 05:08 PM
If we have the luxury of trying Shaggy first on Stokes by putting Morris on Stevie J, throw Gilbee on Rooke then we'd have Harbrow remining to go to perhaps Varcoe who I don't think is as good in the air as Stokes. Shaggy would get 2nd crack at Stevie J, however if Chapman goes forward Harbrow will be too light for him & that would force a re-shuffle.

We appear to match-up pretty well against Geelong in the back half. The only worry for mine is Morris on Johnson. The last 3 times, Johnson's been far too agile and is probably the only player in the competition Morris has struggled with.

Perhaps Hargrave should be given first chance?

Mofra
14-07-2009, 05:19 PM
We appear to match-up pretty well against Geelong in the back half. The only worry for mine is Morris on Johnson. The last 3 times, Johnson's been far too agile and is probably the only player in the competition Morris has struggled with.

Perhaps Hargrave should be given first chance?
I'd still go Morris on Johnson as first choice as he is pure stopper, and Shaggy off the HB line has been leading our possession count (or near enough to it) over the past month.

I'm very conscious of Geelong's ability to play & cover for each other all over the field and I'm don't think we will be able to counter a clogged HF line without Harbrow running off, and Gilbee & Hargrave being the most likely to kick long. If our F50 entries are left to our "second tier" users of the ball (ie Morris, Picken, Cross) we will struggle to put a score on the board. I'd say the same about the Saints, Pies & Crows.

boydogs
14-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Just going through the player list we may end up having Stokes as the only suitable match-up for Harbrow.
Shannon Byrnes or Travis Varcoe perhaps

soupman
15-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Alot will depend if Geelong play two talls or not - a Geelong forwardline with Hawkins & Mooney leaves Morris, Shaggy, Gilbee & Harbrow as the remaining backman (assuming Lake & Williams are in the side).

I would expect that Harbrow is one who gets alot of attention from Geelong because his run could cut ribbons through their zone; moreso than even Gilbee's or Shaggy's footskills.

Nah, I'd prefer:

Hawkins: Williams
Mooney: Lake
Johnson: Hargrave
Rooke: Gilbee
Varcoe: Harbrow
Chapman: Morris

When Chapman moves to the midfield and Stokes comes forward Morris simply swaps opponents over. I think Hargrave is the best option for Johnson by a mile, and we need to keep Harbrow on Varcoe as much as possible.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Nah, I'd prefer:

When Chapman moves to the midfield and Stokes comes forward Morris simply swaps opponents over. I think Hargrave is the best option for Johnson by a mile, and we need to keep Harbrow on Varcoe as much as possible.

I agree. I can't believe people are still pushing for Morris on Johnson who absolutely towels him up.

As mentioned by others, Harbrow can play on Varcoe/Burns. Stokes is not a problem with any of our other backmen. The match-ups above will do me.

The only issue is if Ottens moves down into the forward line making three talls in which case, Morris goes to Hawkins and Williams to Ottens

Jasper
15-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Nah, I'd prefer:

The only match up I would change is lake to hawkins and williams on Mooney as mooney plays up the ground more and lake is better inside defensive 50. Lake could also be less accountable on hawkins allowing him to cut off Johnson, stokes, and chapman as those three tend to be their main avenue to goal

Sedat
15-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Not sure why we are collating potential match-ups with the Cats - St Kilda is the undisputed competition benchmark in 2009 and we are far more likely to be playing them in the first week of September than Geelong.

LostDoggy
15-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Not sure why we are collating potential match-ups with the Cats - St Kilda is the undisputed competition benchmark in 2009 and we are far more likely to be playing them in the first week of September than Geelong.

Not undisputed for mine; they beat Geelong without their best forward weapon (Johnson) and won by 6 points. I wouldn't be writing off the Cats so quickly

And we still need to see how some of the Saints softies line up when it counts; especially big Kosi and Goddard

Sedat
15-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Not undisputed for mine; they beat Geelong without their best forward weapon (Johnson) and won by 6 points. I wouldn't be writing off the Cats so quickly

And we still need to see how some of the Saints softies line up when it counts; especially big Kosi and Goddard
Up to Round 15 (and the future is mere specilation), St Kilda are comfortably ahead of Geelong - they have beaten their opponents far more easily (Dogs and Pies in particular) than Geelong has done. They have won 2 more games than Geelong. Their percentage is far superior. And they beat Geelong fair and square, something that has occured 4 times in 59 matches (S Johnson was missing but St Kilda were without their best ruckman and a starting 18 key defender).

The lack of respect in the wider football public for St Kilda ATM is puzzling. They literally could not have done more than they have done so far this season. I'm not writing Geelong off at all but I take my hat off to how St Kilda have performed so far this season. The question of whether or not S Kilda can maintain their punishing and taxing defensive game plan for another couple of months is valid, but it is just as valid a question to ask how Geelong's forward line set-up, ruck division minus Ottens and ageing defence will cope for the remainder of the season.