PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about tonights game.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Top 4 sides win the tight games, we are losing them. This is concerning.

We should have beat them. Silly frees un the rear 50, 2 obviosu and stupid 40's and the runner being in the 50 at kick out (i presume it was for). Johnson's critical miss. Really good teams take their opportunities, and we didn't.

Players:

Aker - Thank got we got him.
Wilbur - Critical shot 30 metres out and kicks into the man on the mark, then follows it up with a stupid 50 which gave them a point.
Higgins - Is a freak
Griffen - Starting to worry he is plateauing
Harbrow - Gone up even further in m estimation
Lake - 2 x weeks his opponent, goalless and embarassed by him
Hargy - Great things

Butchering and turnovers. We dominated pretty much all stats ad were 41 points down. 30 minutes of footy flatters us, whilst paradoxically, we should have beaten them too.

Good big game experience for our younger players.

But i want to see more from Coons and Griff.

This is not even close to panic stations, but hopefully it acts as a massive wakeup call to what we have to do if we are going to be a form side in September. Hopefully some other results go our way and we'll see what happens.

Dry Rot
11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
1. It would be nice if the players turned up to play at the start of the game.

2, For most of the game, the Pies showed why we won't win a flag with this forward line.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2009, 12:32 AM
We were dead set crap for three quarters. How many times did Collingwood run the ball from their backline to the middle of the ground without any pressure at all? The first three quarters were a carbon copy of the games v Carlton/St. Kilda where we allowed them to 'overlap' us with handballs and constantly spread from the contest. Cloke was far too strong for Morris and Davis too good for Harbrow. Swan really did prove to be one of the main differences between the two sides too.

Minson and Hill were very, very poor. Minson gave away free kicks, 50's, kicked into the man on the mark, dropped marks - wow. What more can be said? We needed him to stand up tonight and he was terrible. Hill was even worse. O'Brien made a mockery out of Hill whilst he was on him. His rebound was deadly whilst Hill fumbled and stood in the one spot all day.

Why don't Cooney and Griffen run? With so much 'pace' and their talent, they aren't doing nearly enough. They may be picking up a few possessions but they're not damaging at all. This was a game where we needed both (especially Cooney) to pull out something special and be the difference. They failed to do that. Both butchered the ball almost every time. Griffen's shot for goal in the second quarter was dreadful. Cooney kicked a few 'air' balls. Overall - they were hugely disappointing IMO.

Lake was fantastic and Picken helped us get back into the game. He kicked two fantastic goals from long range and certainly did his part. Boyd was very good but made a couple of errors. Harbrow probably got beaten but at least provided dash when we lacked it. Ward's mark in the last quarter was sensational - a real credit to him.

I'm very disappointed though. This was a game we needed to win. For all our good football the reality is, we've beaten nobody. Tonight was a fantastic chance. We'd lost to Carlton, St. Kilda, Geelong and really needed to knock off a team in red hot form. For three quarters we failed to apply pressure, didn't run the lines and turned the ball over incredibly. Perhaps this was a wake-up call needed after last week - but I personally don't subscribe to that crap. If they expected things were just going tohappen tonight against a very impressive Collingwood outfit, they deserve every bit of heat they get.

The last quarter fightback was pleasing, but we've still lost to the top 4-5 sides and can't play 4 quarters of football when we most need to. (See Geelong game).

Frustrated. Angry.

Insipid football for three quarters in our MOST meaningful game this season to date.

They need to beat St. Kilda - no if's and but's now.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 12:43 AM
What's with Johnno's brainfades? We wouldn't get close without him, but with 2 mins left, Hahn kicks a massive 55 metre punt that's going through and Johnno jumps and is the only one to get close to it and tries to mark it on the goal line and it goes off his hands and through for a behind, leaving us one point behind, which also happens to be the final margin, instead of 4 points up and all the momentum.

He also missed the shot against the Cats after the siren.

I mean, I love this bloke, but what's WITH the keystone cops routine???

Super 27
11-07-2009, 12:47 AM
we played like crap but still only went down by a point. Although I agree we should be winning these games. I am not dissapointed.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh, and that was about as undisciplined as i've seen them this year in any sense. One, the gameplan. Two, the frees inside 50, and the 3 x 50m penalties leading to scoring shots (when you lose by 1 pt).

I can't remember being so undisciplined for a while.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Shoot me down for it, but Johnson can't kick a goal under pressure to save himself. He's improved most of the other areas in his game, but he chokes/can't kick them. Every time.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Shoot me down for it, but Johnson can't kick a goal under pressure to save himself. He's improved most of the other areas in his game, but he chokes/can't kick them. Every time.
I heard all sorts of comments in the crowd from Greg Norman to Ian Baker Finch.

I love the man, but Noth last year, Cats this year, and touching the ball on the line...

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Johnson did miss 2 easy set shots as well.

We lost this game in the 1st half. Played horrible football despite dominating the game, we just weren't clean.

Before I Die
11-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I didn't think that individually we were that bad in the first half, I think it was a more a case of Eade being out coached. I am not being critical of Eade, I am a big fan, I just think Malthouse won on the night, at least for three quarters. Collingwood gave us no room up forward and then ran brilliantly on the rebound. What they couldn't do was keep it up for the full four quarters. Having said that, if our boys had been the more accurate ones and the Pies forwards more wayward, I may have found myself praising Eades uncanny tactical nous.

Player wise, I thought Harbrow's run was great, but 4 goals to Davis probably means Harbrow was beaten on the night.
Williams struggled, however I would play him for at least the next four games. In form he could easily be the difference and I can't say the same about anyone else not currently in the team.
I would like to see Johnno back at fullforward and Grant next to him. And I deperately don't want to see Big Bad Barry in a Bulldog's jumper next year.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:04 AM
What annoyed me especially, was the opportunities we had to get momentum in the first half i.e. Minson big mark 30 and puts the pill into the player on the mark. Johno missing critical shots to change momentum. Our inability at the crucial times to do what good sides do. Tonight's performance is not going to scare either Geelong or St Kilda.

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 01:05 AM
1. It would be nice if the players turned up to play at the start of the game.

2, For most of the game, the Pies showed why we won't win a flag with this forward line.

I know this is an old chestnut of yours (along with tackling) but we have who we have and I still think the analogy that we will be exposed comes finals time is not correct.
The first quarter that left us with having to play catch-up footy for the balance of the game was more of a problem for us than just the lack of a key forward.

Hot_Doggies
11-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Another big game where our forward structure breaks down under pressure.

Once the heat goes out of the game (same as Geelong game) we can create space, link up and hit targets.

The comeback only covers up the rubbish in the first half. When is the last time we controlled a big match against quality opposition?

Dry Rot
11-07-2009, 01:07 AM
I know this is an old chestnut of yours .

See Hot Doggies post.

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 01:11 AM
See Hot Doggies post.

Yes but the difference is that HD is saying the forward line structure broke down and your focus has typically been the lack of a key forward.

Do you have any suggestions for a better set-up?

BulldogBelle
11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Very dissapointed with our efforts to 3 qtr time, crowd in my area were all giving Williams's efforts a massive bake had to agree with a few of the comments he just doesn't seem ready for the rigours of AFL football.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
11-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Rocket mentioned on the radio that Williams wasn't ready to play but they needed to get some game time into him.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Rocket mentioned on the radio that Williams wasn't ready to play but they needed to get some game time into him.
So our gameplan was to go in with 21 fit men. Hmmm.

Before I Die

1st Quarter: 9 scoring shots to 7
2nd Quarter: 7 scoring shots to 5
3rd Quarter: 7 scoring shots to 7 scoring shots
4th Quarter: 3 scoring shots to 11 scoring shots
Overall 26 scoring shots (Pies) to 30 scoring shots (Dogs)

Not sure this counts as a forward line failure, even during the first 3 quarters. I thought the problem was failure to run hard and be accountable through the middle on the rebound.

G-Mo77
Top 4 sides win the tight games, we are losing them. This is concerning.

I don't think it is concerning. This game we shouldn't have even been in the conest. As you mentioned we played 30 minutes of football which flatered us. What is more concerning is falling behind by so much far to easily. It happened in the Geelong game and tonight they seemed to steady pretty easily every time we put on a run.

It was too little, too late as far as I'm concerned. I'm really disappointed not about the narrow loss but for the first 3 quarters where Collingwood just ran harder and worked harder and it looked like we didn't want to try and match that :(

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Quarter: 9 scoring shots to 7
2nd Quarter: 7 scoring shots to 5
3rd Quarter: 7 scoring shots to 7 scoring shots
4th Quarter: 3 scoring shots to 11 scoring shots
Overall 26 scoring shots (Pies) to 30 scoring shots (Dogs)

Not sure this counts as a forward line failure, even during the first 3 quarters. I thought the problem was failure to run hard and be accountable through the middle on the rebound.
I completely agree with that statement. Obvious where i was sitting our running hard back wasn't there and so many players even when we had to the ball just stood still. Coons and Griff on numerous occasions just stood still expecting the ball to be kicked to them.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
11-07-2009, 01:22 AM
So our gameplan was to go in with 21 fit men. Hmmm.

I think he meant not ready form wise.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:26 AM
I think he meant not ready form wise.
So our game plan was to take in underperforming VFL players? Hmmm.

No crack at you intended, if i was at Willy doing my job weeek in and out and couldnt get a game because my surname was not Williams i'd be shitty. Everitt would have been a far better option tonight, and Williams gets another round in the VFL to find form and touch.

Dry Rot
11-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Yes but the difference is that HD is saying the forward line structure broke down and your focus has typically been the lack of a key forward.

Do you have any suggestions for a better set-up?

Not with this lot.

GVGjr
11-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Not with this lot.

That's the trick though. We have a set list and we knew that at the start of the season. The forward line broke down but it's not necessarily just because we don't have a genuine key forward.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
11-07-2009, 01:30 AM
You'd really think it could create a bit of a stink if not managed carefully. Be interesting to see how those at Willy and are in the mix respond this week.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:32 AM
That's the trick though. We have a set list and we knew that at the start of the season. The forward line broke down but it's not necessarily just because we don't have a genuine key forward.
We just need two Bob Murphys, or mould Everitt into that defencive role Bob plays and play Bob forward where he kicks goals and wins games. Everitt is similar height, has athletic ability and great by foot and not a typical or genuine KPP. Everitt tonight down back for the role Murphy played in lieu of Williams and playing Bob up front for at least 2 points or more than he kicked.

That would be my suggestion.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I'd like to give thumbs up to Liam Picken. Pretty sure he kicked 2 very important goals tonight. I thought that our decision making going forward was poor and we always had one or two extra handpasses/kicks when we should've just had a shot. Liam seemed to just straighten up every time he was in striking distance. :)

Dale
11-07-2009, 01:40 AM
I have been a FOOTSCRAY suporter my 30 years of life i am a gold premiership member and i don' t know about you but i am sick of GALLANT EFFORT, WELL DONE , JUST LOST, ALMOST. Why is it when we want our team to shine we go missing i am sick of this. if we are relying on someone as un coordinated and unskilled and as pathetic as Mitch Hahn to kick winning scores then i think R.Eade needs to re think hiring Barry Hall. Like most fellow supporters out there i thought we had a real shot this year but on that lack lustre first 3 quarter performance im left upset and heart broken once again.This team of coaches and recruiting staff have had nearly a decade to recruit strong forward targets, but all we have recruited is SOFT SKINNY SMALL PLAYERS. for example Farren Ray instead Roughhead? Why is it we always make the wrong decisions weather its on field or off its like we are destined to never succeed. Heres a thought Terry Wallace is available, and Tim Callan instead of that soft soppy no good for nothing Tom Williams!!!!

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I'd like to give thumbs up to Liam Picken. Pretty sure he kicked 2 very important goals tonight. I thought that our decision making going forward was poor and we always had one or two extra handpasses/kicks when we should've just had a shot. Liam seemed to just straighten up every time he was in striking distance. :)
Great point. We missed 4 shots at least through looking for an extra handball insted of taking a shot. I was frustrated as well. Higins second poster was a result of way too many handballs a player forced into a shot slightly off balance.

But Liam was great. I think he can absolutely get rotated through the forward line or play a negative forward on a Hodge or similar.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 01:42 AM
I have been a FOOTSCRAY suporter my 30 years of life i am a gold premiership member and i don' t know about you but i am sick of GALLANT EFFORT, WELL DONE , JUST LOST, ALMOST. Why is it when we want our team to shine we go missing i am sick of this. if we are relying on someone as un coordinated and unskilled and as pathetic as Mitch Hahn to kick winning scores then i think
Mitch could have kicked the winning goal??

Before I Die
11-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Could someone please explain to me the justification for saying that the forward line broke down? Is it simply because we didn't win?
Collingwood had 11 different goal scorers, none of which were their FF or CHF or their 3rd tall forward. They scored one more point than us. Did their forward line also break down? Were they let down by their lack of quality tall forwards?

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 01:47 AM

I love the man, but Noth last year, Cats this year, and touching the ball on the line...

yeah but at least he doesn't hang out with Christopher Wayne Hudson

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't think our forward line broke down at all. We dominated inside 50's, but most of the time we were horrid when moving the ball forward. Made stupid decisions, thumbled, and kept looking for the extra option when the best was to just put it behind the sticks.

Bulldog4life
11-07-2009, 01:49 AM
I have been a FOOTSCRAY suporter my 30 years of life i am a gold premiership member and i don' t know about you but i am sick of GALLANT EFFORT, WELL DONE , JUST LOST, ALMOST. Why is it when we want our team to shine we go missing i am sick of this. if we are relying on someone as un coordinated and unskilled and as pathetic as Mitch Hahn to kick winning scores then i think

Are you sure you're 30!

Stefcep
11-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Our forays into the forward line were haphazard, and the ball was being floated above the forwards heads. How are short forwards meant to take those grabs? How many marks in a pack do they want a little bloke like Higgins to take? Its been happening all season. After tonight I've changed my mind: we need Hall.

I'm really dirty on Griffen. For every good thing he does he cancels it out with something poor, like trying to break a tackle or go around a man or wait too long, all the while there is a clear option to kick or handball to a team mate in the clear that he ignores. His kicking is over-rated. Badly. I'd be interested in seeing his turnovers/holding the balls over his career. I think he'd be in the top two or three in the club.

I think Welsh, Eagleton, Hahn are playing their last season.

As a team its disturbing how we offer so few options to go to when our player has the ball, either in defense or into the forward line.

Lake, Picken, Higgins were very good.

Hill lacks the intensity to compete in finals.

Overall, this playing list is not good enough to win a premiership.

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 01:55 AM

Bit harsh on Hahn who has been disappointing this season,he cannot get into a contest just way of the pace . maybe time to give J.Grant a gig. As stated previously our lack of defensive run was shown out tonight,blokes not willing to run back really hurt us. Our run and willingness to take risks has hurt Collingwood in the past,but for some unknown reason we went into our shells.The final term [nothing to lose] bugger me we start to run and carry and take risks.

KT31
11-07-2009, 02:00 AM

I as disapointed as the next suportor but this is hard on a team who have lost two games by a kick in eight weeks.
They have stood up pretty hard the last two months.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 02:01 AM

I'm sick of people who think they're entitled to anything just because they support a football team. There's no promises. We may never win a premiership and you'll have to learn how to deal with that. If you're sick of it then maybe you should give stamp collecting a shot. It's way relaxing and non competitive (to a point). And to accuse Mitch of being pathetic is poor form, as is not finishing your sentences properly especially as I was very keen to see what came after the words "I think".
I look forward to Chapter 2.

Before I Die

FFS!

We lost to the 2nd side by 2 points. We lost to the 4th side by 1 point. We lost to the top side by 28 points. Over the last 9 rounds we have lost only 2 games. One by one point, the other by two points. We are currently 3rd on the ladder.

Take a Bex and have a lie down, then see how you feel in the morning.

Stefcep
Could someone please explain to me the justification for saying that the forward line broke down? Is it simply because we didn't win?
Collingwood had 11 different goal scorers, none of which were their FF or CHF or their 3rd tall forward. They scored one more point than us. Did their forward line also break down? Were they let down by their lack of quality tall forwards?

Collingwood delivered to the forwards with purpose and intent. That's beacause:
1. The delivery was out in front.
2. The forwards were always moving to create an option.

OTOH we delivered high floating balls to contests AND the forwards offered no other option. MAybe the delivery was like that BECAUSE the forwards offered nothing. No leads into space. NOTHING. Its embarassing that Higgins has to go up in a pack to earn a mark: they should be hitting him on the chest out in front.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:03 AM
yeah but at least he doesn't hang out with Christopher Wayne Hudson
Not many people do now...

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Quick notes from me:

Minson: Just relax, take a breath and don't worry about the crowd, opponents, etc.

Williams: Very poor performance. back to Williamstown. (saw him in first half running around the ground alone no clue where he was going or who he was playing on.)

Too many errors, too many inaccurate shots at goal.

And most of all TERRIBLE UMPIRING!!!!

P.S. Sorry for any spelling mistakes or incorrect opinion as i've had a few beers and am very tired :(

All in all, happy we made a come back and didn't end up losing by the 5-6 goals to make us look like pretenders, instead of contenders.

Stefcep
11-07-2009, 02:06 AM
FFS!

We lost to the 2nd side by 2 points. We lost to the 4th side by 1 point. We lost to the top side by 28 points. Over the last 9 rounds we have lost only 2 games. One by one point, the other by two points. We are currently 3rd on the ladder.

Take a Bex and have a lie down, then see how you feel in the morning.

Been to the St Kilda game, Geelong game and this one. Its the WAY we get beaten for 75% of the game, and then save face at the end that says to me the list is simply not good enough. Much as it pains me to say it.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Been to the St Kilda game, Geelong game and this one. Its the WAY we get beaten for 75% of the game, and then save face at the end that says to me the list is simply not good enough. Much as it pains me to say it.
I agree, the result absolutely flattered us. Don't let flattery blind you from issues that could have led us to being beaten by 45-60 points. Some poor performances, some out coaching for some periods, inability to follow gameplan and a major lack of discipline for frees in front of goal and stupid 50m penalties. Don't let the result or the flattering margin cover up things that need to be dealt with.

Dale
11-07-2009, 02:10 AM
every time we went forward we broke down. against aokay side we once again flopped. DROP WELSH WILLIAMS. bring in tim callan and you might aswell give a tall youngster ago.

lemmon
11-07-2009, 02:13 AM
I thought the defence probably fell over tonight. Im not sure Morris on Cloke was the best option from the start, he just had too much size. Although underdone, I still would have gone with Williams on him.
Time to give Callan a run, Davis won the game for them tonight but Im not overly worried about tonights performance.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:14 AM
We get so far behind, the other team drops thinking they have won it. Which makes us able to catch up, and again too little, too late. Although 6.5 is a great effort in the last qtr.

And William terrible, Welsh terrible. Even hahn for the first 3 qtr.s was quite bad. And overall his year has been quite poor

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Our forays into the forward line were haphazard, and the ball was being floated above the forwards heads. How are short forwards meant to take those grabs? How many marks in a pack do they want a little bloke like Higgins to take? Its been happening all season. After tonight I've changed my mind: we need Hall.

I'm really dirty on Griffen. For every good thing he does he cancels it out with something poor, like trying to break a tackle or go around a man or wait too long, all the while there is a clear option to kick or handball to a team mate in the clear that he ignores. His kicking is over-rated. Badly. I'd be interested in seeing his turnovers/holding the balls over his career. I think he'd be in the top two or three in the club.

I think Welsh, Eagleton, Hahn are playing their last season.

As a team its disturbing how we offer so few options to go to when our player has the ball, either in defense or into the forward line.

Lake, Picken, Higgins were very good.

Hill lacks the intensity to compete in finals.

I thought Hill played a pretty good finals series last year and was full of intensity. I don't know what you mean here.

Explain why Welsh and Hahn are in their last seasons.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:17 AM
every time we went forward we broke down. against aokay side we once again flopped. DROP WELSH WILLIAMS. bring in tim callan and you might aswell give a tall youngster ago.

Williams wont be dropped.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Hill needs to win a few contests and when he does he is full of confidence and usually plays well the whole game.

On another note, Bulldogs won on the attendance :D

Before I Die
11-07-2009, 02:18 AM

OTOH we delivered high floating balls to contests AND the forwards offered no other option. MAybe the delivery was like that BECAUSE the forwards offered nothing. No leads into space. NOTHING. Its embarassing that Higgins has to go up in a pack to earn a mark: they should be hitting him on the chest out in front.

Collingwood flooded their backline and then they ran hard on the rebound. Their goalkickers were their mids streaming forward into open space. Despite Collingwoods flooding tactics, we kicked 3 or more goals each quarter and had more overall shots on goal for the game. Our CHF kicked 3 goals, theirs kicked none. Hahn was the only tall forward for either side to have an impact on the scoreboard.

A forward line breaks down when it doesn't kick goals. Ours kicked 16 and scored over 100 points. This is well above the average score kicked against Collingwood this year. Our forward line did not break down tonight. They did however, fail to chase out of defence and our mids did not run hard enough either forward or backwards.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Hill needs to win a few contests and when he does he is full of confidence and usually plays well the whole game.

On another note, Bulldogs won on the attendance :D

But didn't win the cash! Do we even get 100k for tonight? :mad:

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Collingwood flooded their backline and then they ran hard on the rebound. Their goalkickers were their mids streaming forward into open space. Despite Collingwoods flooding tactics, we kicked 3 or more goals each quarter and had more overall shots on goal for the game. Our CHF kicked 3 goals, theirs kicked none. Hahn was the only tall forward for either side to have an impact on the scoreboard.

A forward line breaks down when it doesn't kick goals. Ours kicked 16 and scored over 100 points. This is well above the average score kicked against Collingwood this year. Our forward line did not break down tonight. They did however, fail to chase out of defence and our mids did not run hard enough either forward or backwards.

Do you think that is why the Collingwood players kept getting goal side in their forward line? I was really frustrated about that all night, it kept happening!

Dale
11-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Why is it are socalled AFL superstars go missing in crunch high pressure games!?

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Just a few thoughts on the opposition.
Need another Ruckman urgently[Fraser has knee issues]It will be interesting to see how they travel if Didak,Davis or Swan lose form. They're playing at their absolute optimum.
Not so many calls for Malthouse to be sacked now!:eek::eek:Typical malthouse coached team with work ethic paramount. Kudos for their fans for turning out [unlike some who have 50,000 members]:rolleyes:

Before I Die
11-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Do you think that is why the Collingwood players kept getting goal side in their forward line? I was really frustrated about that all night, it kept happening!

Yes

As stated in an earlier post, I think we were simply out coached tonight. I thought the boys didn't play too badly, though they were definitely out run, but the major difference was the game plan. We only have to wait 7 weeks to see if Rocket has an answer. The only real concern for me tonight was the loss of 4 points. Top four is everything re the finals, and we are far from certainties at this stage of the season.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 02:37 AM

Looked at the replay...there were several Pies with him, I reckon they'd have got to it anyway.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes

As stated in an earlier post, I think we were simply out coached tonight. I thought the boys didn't play too badly.

Really? I thought we played very ordinary for almost 3/4 of the game.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Why is it are socalled AFL superstars go missing in crunch high pressure games!?

Leon Davis is a so-called superstar. I thought he was quite good.
I also thought Brian Lake played well but he's more of an under-rated defender than a so-called superstar.
Adam Cooney was on, then he went missing, then he was on and then he went missing, but that may have been interchange rotations.
Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Dale
11-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Hang on mate we have been pushing and trying to win apremiership in over fifty years the worst record going. nor the president nor TRUE supporters can keep accepting under achieving results. there is no excuse now days with draft in place for teams to go such long periods without challenging. I love my bulldogs as said i contribute to my club and always have i even have them tattooed. ARE YOU EVEN A MEMBER IF NOT PISS OFF YOUR OPINIONS WORTH NOTHING UNDERDOG!!!!

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Really? I thought we played very ordinary for almost 3/4 of the game.

Unless our coaching instructions were "play badly for 3 quarters" in which case Malthouse had it all over Eade.

We didn't play smart football at all in the first 3/4. Collingwood were disciplined and we played right into their hands by moving the ball glacially. As soon as we started trying to move the ball on quickly we were all over them, despite some poor decision making at times.
I'm not as fatalistic as some about tonight's game. I thought we saw most of what Collingwood have and we had plenty of improvement left. It was certainly nothing to write home about but if the game goes for another 2 minutes we would have won. Let people write us off and Collingwood get all excited about how great they are. It's not about who gets the write up in the Herald Sun, it's about the end result.
Sure we're not perfect, but no-one was freaking out last week so don't freak out now.

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Unless our coaching instructions were "play badly for 3 quarters" in which case Malthouse had it all over Eade.

We didn't play smart football at all in the first 3/4. Collingwood were disciplined and we played right into their hands by moving the ball glacially. As soon as we started trying to move the ball on quickly we were all over them, despite some poor decision making at times.
I'm not as fatalistic as some about tonight's game. I thought we saw most of what Collingwood have and we had plenty of improvement left. It was certainly nothing to write home about but if the game goes for another 2 minutes we would have won. Let people write us off and Collingwood get all excited about how great they are. It's not about who gets the write up in the Herald Sun, it's about the end result.
Sure we're not perfect, but no-one was freaking out last week so don't freak out now.

Yes, I agree... another post was of the view we didn't play too badly, and I disagreed. I think we played ordinary for most of the game.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Hang on mate we have been pushing and trying to win apremiership in over fifty years the worst record going. nor the president nor TRUE supporters can keep accepting under achieving results. there is no excuse now days with draft in place for teams to go such long periods without challenging. I love my bulldogs as said i contribute to my club and always have i even have them tattooed. ARE YOU EVEN A MEMBER IF NOT PISS OFF YOUR OPINIONS WORTH NOTHING UNDERDOG!!!!

Yes, I'm a social club member as it happens. I also love my club. I contributed tonight in the only way I could, by turning up, supporting, making hilarious witticisms about Leigh Brown and not getting all Chicken Little over a one point loss. I'll accept whatever results we have because I have no influence over them. Doesn't mean I like them, just that I can't change them. If you think otherwise then you're a fool.
Do you also honestly think we're not challenging. We made a prelim final last year. We're 3rd on the ladder now. Sure we're not Geelong but even they've only won one grand final so far (and yes I'm envious). We have faults but most teams do, even St.Kilda.
Did you complain about the underachieving team after last week's win?
I haven't got them tattoed yet (I've got a dragon, a very naff japanese symbol, a Descendents logo and a kind of Cowboy pointing a gun thing and I was thinking of Mallard ducks next, but maybe a Bulldog).
I agree my opinion is worth nothing, most people's aren't, but my grammar's fair to middling and I enjoy talking about my football team with rational sensible people.
I guess I'm just not a TRUE supporter. Or maybe I am. I'll have to check the criteria.

Dale
11-07-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm sorry guys but again against a top 6 side all i seen was crumbling under pressure for 3 quarters and no forward line. I hate to say it but no challenge for premiereship again this year!

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:03 AM
Yes, I agree... another post was of the view we didn't play too badly, and I disagreed. I think we played ordinary for most of the game.

Sorry, last bit wasn't necessarily directed at you, just thought 2 posts was excessive.
I agree with you. The first 3/4 was full of suckage and despite the stats and the fact that we did do some things well, we did overall play badly.

Dale
11-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Yes, I'm a social club member as it happens. I also love my club. I contributed tonight in the only way I could, by turning up, supporting, making hilarious witticisms about Leigh Brown and not getting all Chicken Little over a one point loss. I'll accept whatever results we have because I have no influence over them. Doesn't mean I like them, just that I can't change them. If you think otherwise then you're a fool.
Do you also honestly think we're not challenging. We made a prelim final last year. We're 3rd on the ladder now. Sure we're not Geelong but even they've only won one grand final so far (and yes I'm envious). We have faults but most teams do, even St.Kilda.
I haven't got them tattoed yet (I've got a dragon, a very naff japanese symbol, a Descendents logo and a kind of Cowboy pointing a gun thing and I was thinking of Mallard ducks next, but maybe a Bulldog).
I agree my opinion is worth nothing, most people's aren't, but my grammar's fair to middling and I enjoy talking about my football team with rational sensible people.
I guess I'm just not a TRUE supporter. Or maybe I am. I'll have to check the criteria.

Would that cowboy happen to be off broke back mountain! listen good to see your a optamistic member, but i am upset about the performance tonight as i think most supporters will be . We have a hard run in and lets hope we can get hard, tough and premiership worthy with a libba attitude rather than your take it or leave it sit on the fence hope everyone had fun attitude!

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:19 AM

Haha, very enjoyable 'fair to middling' post to read, Underdog. Especially love your description of your confused cowboy tattoo.

Ps. all Japanese symbol tattoes, unless you are Japanese, or married to one, or an ambassador to Japan, are naff.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Would that cowboy happen to be off broke back mountain! listen good to see your a optamistic member, but i am upset about the performance tonight as i think most supporters will be . We have a hard run in and lets hope we can get hard, tough and premiership worthy with a libba attitude rather than your take it or leave it sit on the fence hope everyone had fun attitude!

Er, Dale, welcome to WOOF.

Look, no one is happy about the loss, but ranting and raving like a Collingwood or Richmond supporter after a loss at 2:20 am in cyberspace is hardly going to change anything is it (it certainly hasn't made a dint of difference to either of the above teams, has it...). I've done it (ranted and raved after a loss) plenty though, so I'm not judging you, believe me!

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 03:23 AM

:D:D:D
Funniest post I've read in a while... and I wasn't thinking funny thoughts that much tonight! Nice work...

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Haha, very enjoyable 'fair to middling' post to read, Underdog. Especially love your description of your confused cowboy tattoo.

Ps. all Japanese symbol tattoes, unless you are Japanese, or married to one, or an ambassador to Japan, are naff.

Yes all Japanese symbol tattoos are naff but i'll excuse mine by making a word game to explain it. (And yes I do make sure I hide it in areas likely to be frequented by Japanese tourists)

Rearrange these words to explain my naff Japanese tattoo:

York, Drunk, to, 22, impress, New, trying, girl, years old, immature

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 03:28 AM

Agreed, Underdog's post was very funny...

And so too your comment re: Japanese tattoos..

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Yes all Japanese symbol tattoos are naff but i'll excuse mine by making a word game to explain it. (And yes I do make sure I hide it in areas likely to be frequented by Japanese tourists)

Rearrange these words to explain my naff Japanese tattoo:

York, Drunk, to, 22, impress, New, trying, girl, years old, immature

Ah. The real explanation for everything naff in this world.

Dale wasn't so far off with his Brokeback Mountain reference eh...

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:33 AM

No I think he's originally from Arizona but moved to Seattle. He may be gay though, not sure, he's only a silhouette.
Don't get me wrong I'm not happy about tonight, but there was enough for me to see the forest for the trees. I still think our best is better than theirs. I also know nobody wins every game and our recent form has been pretty good. Happy for us to show more Libba attitude and not so much of his kicking skills. I'm not sitting on the fence either, I'm just not hanging from a tree. I though our win against North was equally as bad as this loss for the most part, we just happened to win that one.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:37 AM
:D:D:D
Funniest post I've read in a while... and I wasn't thinking funny thoughts that much tonight! Nice work...

Thanks. I'm kind of like Nathan Eagleton. I don't contribute that much but when I do...

Ah. The real explanation for everything naff in this world.

Dale wasn't so far off with his Brokeback Mountain reference eh...

What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain (no-one told Ang Lee that apparently)

AndrewP6
11-07-2009, 03:38 AM

I say make a raft of changes this week. Each Bulldogs-listed player currently playing at Willy gets a gig, and that'll fix everything (until Bazza gets here, when things will REALLY get interesting!) Oh, and the sky is falling...

***DISCLAIMER - the author does not really want to make a raft of changes this week. It'd be far too hard, and disruptive to that elusive "team harmony". I'm just typing stupid stuff to get a laugh. To be liked - isn't that what we're all after? That, and a premiership.***

Dale
11-07-2009, 03:40 AM
No I think he's originally from Arizona but moved to Seattle. He may be gay though, not sure, he's only a silhouette.
Don't get me wrong I'm not happy about tonight, but there was enough for me to see the forest for the trees. I still think our best is better than theirs. I also know nobody wins every game and our recent form has been pretty good. Happy for us to show more Libba attitude and not so much of his kicking skills. I'm not sitting on the fence either, I'm just not hanging from a tree. I though our win against North was equally as bad as this loss for the most part, we just happened to win that one.

I agree not so good performance in north game. We have to play essendon, collingwood , Geelong and st kilda. Lets hope we can show them our best football and not the three quarters of crap tonight.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm not sitting on the fence either, I'm just not hanging from a tree.

Pffffff.... geez dude, way to make me choke-laugh on a mouthful of coffee. Talk about a contorted metaphor (not to mention painful, either on the triceps or the testicles..)

Was just in Borneo last week, orang-utans are pretty cute.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Thanks. I'm kind of like Nathan Eagleton. I don't contribute that much but when I do...

You wind up four times and kick into the man on the mark.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:43 AM
What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain (no-one told Ang Lee that apparently)

Hey, if the mountain won't come to Lee...

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Pffffff.... geez dude, way to make me choke-laugh on a mouthful of coffee. Talk about a contorted metaphor (not to mention painful, either on the triceps or the testicles..)

Was just in Borneo last week, orang-utans are pretty cute.

Thought you'd been quiet.
Didn't spot any tall ones who might be capable of holding down a key position, did you? We apparently need a big gorilla but an orang-utan may cut it.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Thought you'd been quiet.
Didn't spot any tall ones who might be capable of holding down a key position, did you? We apparently need a big gorilla but an orang-utan may cut it.

Scouting reportcard: good reach, amazing agility, fantastic leap, very, very strong hands. However, tactically naive, patchy response to instructions, no concept of timekeeping, may have problem communicating, and 'ranga' hairstyle suggests loose grooming habits.

Also, may steal teammates' bananas and looks ridiculous in a jumper.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Scouting reportcard: good reach, amazing agility, fantastic leap, very, very strong hands. However, tactically naive, patchy response to instructions, no concept of timekeeping, may have problem communicating, and 'ranga' hairstyle suggests loose grooming habits.

Also, may steal teammates' bananas and looks ridiculous in a jumper.

Up until "ranga hairstyle", I thought you were talking about Tom Williams.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 04:03 AM
Up until "ranga hairstyle", I thought you were talking about Tom Williams.

I was. Why, who were you talking about?

Go_Dogs
11-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Tom Williams was someone who I didn't mention in my post on the game day thread, but argh!

Not sure what to make of Tommy. Loses the ball in flight and loses body contact way too easily. Against a semi-decent tall forward, he'd get crushed. He's got a lot to learn and improve on, and not a whole lot of time to do it.

dog town
11-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I think we all need to take a deep breath and not panic here. We have gone down by 1 point to a bloody good side. It's not all doom and gloom and not a bad effort when you consider

* The coaching honours went to Malthouse. They had us on the backfoot from the start and the game was largely played on the pies terms. They had tremendous efficiency up forward and were able to turn us around and get us running back towards our own goal. They got the match ups right down back and our ball use meant they got the ball delivered exactly how they like it. Credit to Eade who fought back well with a few changes in the second half. The pies have shown us a few cards here. All the stats say we should have won it was just the efficiency and game style that the pies played (tactics used) that allowed them to win. Eade will be ready next time.

* 2 consecutive 6 day breaks

*We had far more inside 50's and scoring shots. Our efficiency going inside 50 was down and we didnt hit the targets we normally do but we still managed to beat them for shots on goal. Wont take much improvement in either area to have a different result.

*Did I mention the pies are a very good side? They will take some beating for any side especially when they play at that level. That was the biggest game of the year for them and the intensity they played with showed that. They have multiple dangerous forwards a back 6 that is as strong one on one as any going around. Put that with a very good coach and it is a dangerous mix. I was never confident going into this game. Had all the signs of a Collingwood ambush. I am glad we got that out the way now so we can see where we need to improve. The cats, saints and pies all present a different challenge and we have seen them all now.

Stefcep
11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I thought Hill played a pretty good finals series last year and was full of intensity. I don't know what you mean here.

Explain why Welsh and Hahn are in their last seasons.

Simply too slow

Mantis
11-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bath water, but a few of my observations:

* We were flat and it seemed to me that was there a lack of passion amongst the group. In the second qtr Gilbee (who must be going through hell) kicked a nice goal to get us within 2 goals. Not one player goes to him. It would have been nice for a few of the players to get to him and show him some support. In the last qtr Callan Ward takes a very courageous mark which results in a goal and only one player goes over to him - not good enough.

* Many of our mids and forwards bludged - Didn't run hard to create an option and didn't chase hard enough when Collingwood had the ball.

* We played into Collingwood's hands by allowing Maxwell to run free. As with other posters it was similar to the Goddard situation against St.Kilda. I am not a big fan of allowing the opposition to play how they like too and we did last night.

* We struggled against a quick mobile forwardline which is a bit of a common occurence.

* The rub of the green didn't go our way.

We have given back the advantage that we had (abit our percentage is still very good) so it will be intersting to see how we rebound next week.

Go_Dogs
11-07-2009, 10:54 AM
We have given back the advantage that we had (abit our percentage is still very good) so it will be intersting to see how we rebound next week.

Crucial game too considering the Saints the week after and we still need to play Brisbane away, Geelong and the Pies again.

When are we going to mature from a side that decides when it's going to turn the switch on, to a side that plays every game like it's important?

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Whilst you have been a bit too harsh on the side over all, I have to agree with you about our forwards.
Hahn & Welsh were stationary in those 3 quarters which allowed O'Brien & Maxwell to not only spoil but run off them (the disposal to these 2 was no ideal either). At quarter time I was calling for Murphy to go forward as he at least can use his pace to get away from his opponent.
It wasn't until later in the game that Murphy went forward for an extended time that contributed to our comeback.
If only Grant could burn it up at Willi for the next few weeks, he would be a handy inclusion with his use of pace.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:02 AM

I think you are on the wrong site with the amount of crap you are going on about. Are you Jerry in disguise?
By the way, I have been a member for 25 years in a row

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not about to throw the baby out with the bath water, but a few of my observations:
In the last qtr Callan Ward takes a very courageous mark which results in a goal and only one player goes over to him - not good enough.
I thought the exact same thing, only Picken went to him to say that was your goal, disappointing

Mantis
11-07-2009, 11:11 AM
A few more:

* Our last 6 to 8 minutes (maybe longer) was played like there was 1 minute left on the clock. We got back in the game on the back of our risk taking and run & carry, but then when we had caught up we went back to long kicking and slow play. We showed a lack of composure in this period which we have in many close games in the past.

* We need a better contribution from our 'bottom 6' against good teams. They as a group were poor and this is an area where I thought we would have an advantage against Collingwood.

The Underdog
11-07-2009, 11:29 AM

* We were flat and it seemed to me that was there a lack of passion amongst the group. In the second qtr Gilbee (who must be going through hell) kicked a nice goal to get us within 2 goals. Not one player goes to him. It would have been nice for a few of the players to get to him and show him some support. In the last qtr Callan Ward takes a very courageous mark which results in a goal and only one player goes over to him - not good enough.

* Many of our mids and forwards bludged - Didn't run hard to create an option and didn't chase hard enough when Collingwood had the ball.

* We played into Collingwood's hands by allowing Maxwell to run free. As with other posters it was similar to the Goddard situation against St.Kilda. I am not a big fan of allowing the opposition to play how they like too and we did last night.

* We struggled against a quick mobile forwardline which is a bit of a common occurence.

Agree with all of these points. We played for three quarters exactly the way Collingwood wanted us to. Slow and allowing them to get numbers back, free up defenders and then run forward once we turned it over. They played us on the counter and it worked.

Agree also on your last point. It was like everything that went right for us last week didn't tonight and we let it effect us. We're karmically even going into next week.

The Coon Dog
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I thought the exact same thing, only Picken went to him to say that was your goal, disappointing

I noticed that too, though I thought it was Dale Morris, could be wrong though.

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
I noticed that too, though I thought it was Dale Morris, could be wrong though.
Definately Picken as he had kicked the goal from 55 metres out and was running back to the centre circle. Who ever said that Pickens kicking is suss? Boy, can he roost it!

Rance Fan
11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Whilst you have been a bit too harsh on the side over all, I have to agree with you about our forwards.
Hahn & Welsh were stationary in those 3 quarters which allowed O'Brien & Maxwell to not only spoil but run off them (the disposal to these 2 was no ideal either). At quarter time I was calling for Murphy to go forward as he at least can use his pace to get away from his opponent.
It wasn't until later in the game that Murphy went forward for an extended time that contributed to our comeback.
If only Grant could burn it up at Willi for the next few weeks, he would be a handy inclusion with his use of pace.

I felt the 1st 3 qrts we were to slow to move the ball from the back half. Collingwood had time to flood back and the forwards had to compete against 2 opponents often with a slow high ball coming in...what hope did they have.??
In the final quarter the team decide to run, take them on, and seemed then to want to win the game...inturn the forwards had an easier time of it.!

BulldogBelle
11-07-2009, 12:34 PM

We were flat and it seemed to me that was there a lack of passion amongst the group. In the second qtr Gilbee (who must be going through hell) kicked a nice goal to get us within 2 goals. Not one player goes to him. It would have been nice for a few of the players to get to him and show him some support. In the last qtr Callan Ward takes a very courageous mark which results in a goal and only one player goes over to him - not good enough.

Cooney isnt at full fitness, and we al know that Griff plays in bursts....Cross, Boyd and Picken kept running all night

Am a big fan of Mitch Hahn but Maxwell v Hahn was a matchup that worked very well for Collingwood...Hahn didnt chase hard enough and run to defend

Just wanted to add a couple of points

Negatives:

-Brad Johnson... Hahn's goal from 55m was going in, Johno's actions werent necessary. Swan's run forward really damaged us. Couple of missed shots also. No need to be the here all of the time. But hey, he has played out of his skin in the last couple of weeks but didnt have such a great game last night.

-Welsh...the bloke doesnt change direction very well, and isnt the quickest fella going around. I wonder how we would have gone with another FF playing last night....Grant, Roughead, Cordy....the kids probably arent ready but they may have offered us a little bit more than Scotty.

-Disposal errors in the first half. Whilst Collingwood kicked straight, and hit their targets, the slick and usually skillful Bulldogs didnt...turnovers against a good side hurt

-Forward 50. Every time we went forwards there was a pack of 30+ bodies there. This suggests to me that the Collingwood players busted ar#$ to get back and support their defenders. Not our forwards fault, but just suggests that our backs and mids didnt move the ball quick enough down the field.

-Collingwood supporters. The only group of supporters who regularly abuse opposition supporters on the train, in the city and at the game...

-Our start. Being smashed in the first 10 minutes just isnt helful.

Positives

- We lost by 1 POINT! Its still a loss, but a learning experience, so hopefully we can improve towards the finals...we fought back, so I'm happier with a 1 point loss than what I thought at half time may be a 10 goal loss

- Lake, Hargrave and Harbow. All saved our bacon at certain times last night, especially Lake.

- Higgins and Ward. Both did some great and inspirational things last night

mighty_west
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Definately Picken as he had kicked the goal from 55 metres out and was running back to the centre circle. Who ever said that Pickens kicking is suss? Boy, can he roost it!

Thats what i said last night, just because Picken is only a lock down player, why do people think his skills are not up to it, those 2 goals from outside 50 were awesome, Crossy [using his name as an example] could never kick those.

But from last nights game, as close as it was, i walked away from it quite pleased, and i can be really down after a loss, to play as bad as we did, to work nowhere near hard enough for most of the game, to be completely outplayed, yet to get back and only go down by 1 point, good sides do that.

Last night, it had that finals feel about it, the game had turned up a notch, very much like the intensity from a finals game, yet did the Pies TALL POWER FORWARDS have much of an influence? Cloke & Anthony? Would our attrocious supply into the forward line in the first half especially, would tall forwards have made any difference, or was it that our midfield was just cut up?

What last night also showed me, is that there are 4 teams with a genuine chance to be 2009 Premiers, and 4 Vic sides as well - Pies, Dogs, Cats & Saints, we all have a GENUINE chance!

Brian Lake - BLOODY AWESOME!

boydogs
11-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Murphy should have been moved forward early last night when Welsh and Hahn were underperforming, Welsh to the backline to give Presti a mismatch, worked well against North.

No-one says Carlton and Hawthorn lack a key forward, but when Fev and Buddy aren't performing you notice - Welsh was held to 4 possessions, he is our key forward but was beaten last night

Our midfielders and small defenders were exposed more so than our tall defenders. Anthony, Cloke and Brown were all goalless, and only one goal to Fraser. Need to work on our matchups for Didak, Swan and Davis for round 22

Need more from Eagleton and Hill, and Tommygun better repay the faith shown by including him earlier than form warranted

mighty_west
11-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Need more from Eagleton and Hill, and Tommygun better repay the faith shown by including him earlier than form warranted

Eagleton was gone for the night after being collected by the Anvil.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Be upset about the loss, but don't write us off. To come back after losing 3 qtr.'s isn't a bad effort against a strong team like Collingwood. Eade just has to make sure we don't lose so many qtr.'s and only wait till the last to make a comeback, which in most cases will be too little too late.

We will see them again in round 22 and will show if we have improved at all in this department.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:30 PM
The positive I could take out of the game was the fact that the pies dominated us for three quarters and we almost beat them with one quarter of football. Maybe two quarters of footy from the boys would have been enough. :)

The Pie Man
11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
A few more:

* Our last 6 to 8 minutes (maybe longer) was played like there was 1 minute left on the clock. We got back in the game on the back of our risk taking and run & carry, but then when we had caught up we went back to long kicking and slow play. We showed a lack of composure in this period which we have in many close games in the past.

* We need a better contribution from our 'bottom 6' against good teams. They as a group were poor and this is an area where I thought we would have an advantage against Collingwood.

Well observed - the last 5 minutes felt like it was going in slow motion, and our lack of emotion was like we were still 6 goals down. It was bizarre to watch.

I was really upset with Johno last night - but I prefer someone to get the pill as often as he does and in damaging positions than not - his miss in the third quarter cost us a goal soon after and the margin looked too large at that point. Needs to be hurting from this, but we've said it all before, and that's my only concern, there's continued precedent of him missing crucial shots. Still class - and it reminds me of the prelim last year and the continued argument that we need a big KF - of couse it would be great, but it was our inability to kick straight when presented the opportunities that beat us on both that night and last night. Plenty of the elite big forwards in the league suffer the same problems, and I remain convinced that our midfield pressure and delivery into the forward line can get it done in September....when/if we turn up to play

As Eade said, plenty of positives - won clearances and contested possesions, just butchered opportunities. Murphy was great but kicked 1.3 (damn impressive to have 4 shots at goal when you play less than half the game forward) Griffen racked it up but his disposal by foot was woeful at times. Williams did look off the pace, but his 11 touches were 100% effective, and wasn't the worst big man on the ground.

When Hahn marked, I honestly thought we were going to run off and win by 3 goals, that's how bad Collingwood had stopped. I think it's a massive tick for our fitness to be able to run out games like that, especially with the 6 day break. As fate would have it, it was another turnover on the half back line that gifted them the winner, kind of fitting given our play for the first 3/4

So my only concerns going forward is what we bring to gameday at times - but if we bring it, I remain confident we can challenge. Still third, and while even if we'd won last night, we'd still have to keep winning to keep top 4, which is a better position to be in than last year IMO - we don't have the luxury to 'flirt with our form' as they say.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I as disapointed as the next suportor but this is hard on a team who have lost two games by a kick in eight weeks.
They have stood up pretty hard the last two months.

Totally agree KT31, I too am as disappointed as you all, but let's put things into perspective - 2 losses by kick in 8 weeks! For whatever reason, the boys seemed flat for most of the first 3 quarters. We didn't seem to be able to get our match ups right, and perhaps that was because Collingwood were rotating their bench like blazes. It seemed like our guys at times, weren't sure who they were playing on. Does that mean Eade was out-coached for 3 quarters?? It seemed in the last quarter, they just let loose, forgot about being too careful, and played their natural game, and it worked! As a Bulldog supporter for 45 years, I understand the highs and low's, and I'm not saying I'm accepting of a losing mentality - far from it. It's bl ** dy hard to be objective when you lose by a point, but I'm old school, and you stick by them through thick and thin. I want/need a premiership as much as everyone else, but nothing - nothing is guaranteed in this game. But I couldn't/wouldn't barrack or support any other team :p

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I had this dream last night we lost to Collingwood by a point...ha!

It was just a dream, wasnt it? :|

Mofra
11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
In the last qtr Callan Ward takes a very courageous mark which results in a goal and only one player goes over to him - not good enough.
After the play two other players went up to him (perhaps a minute later).

I don't think we can question the spirit of the group given the last quarter fightback - I can question the fact that North & Collingwood far too often found themselves man-on all the way to their F50 on the occasions they won a stoppage - our midfield set-up won the clearances but that didn't effect the way the match panned out. Perhaps our set-up needs tweaking.