PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams - comment from Dennis C

NoParkingOnMatchDays
11-07-2009, 01:10 AM
During the last quarter coverage tonight DC mentioned about Nathan Thompson talking on the radio about Tom Williams. DC stated that the Bulldogs would be wise to get a copy and listen to it. Anyone hear it and can fill me in on what was mentioned.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 01:13 AM
From what i was told, he said he needs 'GAMES' under his belt & will be a great footballer.

Very vital for our structure going forward, but needs a consistent run with injuries.

What from i understand, that's what was said.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
11-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks for that - I mentioned on another thread that Rocket said he wasn't ready form-wise but they picked him to get some game time so good to see Rocket is listening to the wireless

Hot_Doggies
11-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Anyone know where we can have a listen?

lemmon
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
He has no football smarts, always the trouble when drafting an athlete. Really have to get games into him and let him learn the game.

Remi Moses
11-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Thompson basically said he got outbodied a few times and Williams will get better in this aspect with more senior experience.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Thompson basically said he got outbodied a few times and Williams will get better in this aspect with more senior experience.
Wow. Thanks for your insicive thoughts Thomo.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 10:36 AM
He didnt keep his eyes on the ball in a contest, he was worried about his man..that was costly!
Oh, and he choked under pressure throughout the whole match last night, overall i found him dissapointing :(

Desipura
11-07-2009, 11:11 AM
As I stated a few weeks back, he should have played at Willi as a loose man and given the instructions to go for his marks. This would build his confidence which he is currently lacking. He is far too reactive at the moment. Even when he has the sit, his first thoughts are to punch the ball.
Having said that, he will not get dropped and hopefully with games under his belt, his confidence will grow in time for the finals.

Sedat
11-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Cloke wasn't exctly a telling influence last night, which was the primary role for Williams on the night. However, it hurt us having one less midfield rotation last night.

Sockeye Salmon
11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Cloke wasn't exctly a telling influence last night, which was the primary role for Williams on the night. However, it hurt us having one less midfield rotation last night.

I couldn't make it last night and had to settle for the TV, but it looked to me like Morris had Cloke and Williams had Brown.

Mantis
11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I couldn't make it last night and had to settle for the TV, but it looked to me like Morris had Cloke and Williams had Brown.

Yep that was right.

At times Hargrave was on Cloke with Morris picking up Medhurst.

I thought bar having Lake on Anthony we got a few of the match-ups wrong in the back half.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Williams was on Cloke at one stage during the match.

LostDoggy
11-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Speaking of Dennis C, commentating about David Smorgan

"He's a stunned dog millionaire" :|

Mofra
11-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Williams was fine - provided he didn't have to take possession of the ball or make any decision resembling a set-up or disposal decision.

He obviously needs gametime. I think he helps our structure no end and was playign much better at the start of the year so should be able to re-capture that form.

Mantis
11-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Williams was fine - provided he didn't have to take possession of the ball or make any decision resembling a set-up or disposal decision.

He obviously needs gametime. I think he helps our structure no end and was playign much better at the start of the year so should be able to re-capture that form.

His disposal efficiency was 100%, abit he only had it 7 times.

I know he was dissappionting, but I can cop that sort of performance from an inexperienced player having his first run in the seniors for 6 or 7 weeks. He will no doubt improve on that performance and I expect him to find some good form over the next few weeks.

Mofra
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
His disposal efficiency was 100%, abit he only had it 7 times.

Unfortunately if you give off to a player and put him under pressure, the fact that it reached a player means it is classed as an effective disposal.

I know he was dissappionting, but I can cop that sort of performance from an inexperienced player having his first run in the seniors for 6 or 7 weeks. He will no doubt improve on that performance and I expect him to find some good form over the next few weeks.
It's pretty clear that he was in the side to find touch before the finals, which I don't think too many people will have a problem with. I thought he was playing well at the start of the season so if he gets near that level (and he's got two months to do it) we're going to look a much better side.

bornadog
11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
It's pretty clear that he was in the side to find touch before the finals, which I don't think too many people will have a problem with. I thought he was playing well at the start of the season so if he gets near that level (and he's got two months to do it) we're going to look a much better side.

I am happy for him to be in the team, we need a big body at CHB.

We have to face in the run home:

Lloyd and Lucas, Reiwoldlt and Kosi, Brown and Brayshaw, Mooney and Hawkins and Collingwood again. So some pretty good KP forward combinations.

strebla
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
He was really frustrating last night but as with most of you I think the longer he plays the better he will be so am happy to keep him in as long as he continues to improve

Scorlibo
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately if you give off to a player and put him under pressure, the fact that it reached a player means it is classed as an effective disposal.

Not quite my understanding, I'm fairly sure that an effective disposal is one that gives a player uncontested possession, for example Harbrow's silly handball to Ward in the defensive fifty where Ward was immediately tackled would have been counted as ineffective.

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I heard him talk on SEN. Thompson pretty much said he had trouble reading the play and being able to keep up with a player making leads or running around the ground. Which was very evident on Friday night. Saw Tom just roaming around the ground all by him self when we were in attack and defending. Just looked lost.

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Tommygun did look lost out there on Friday night, but as with most of you, I think we need to persevere (spelling?) with him as he needs senior game time. He did seem to panic at times, but he wasn't the only one on the night.

AndrewP6
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Tommygun did look lost out there on Friday night, but as with most of you, I think we need to persevere (spelling?) with him as he needs senior game time. He did seem to panic at times, but he wasn't the only one on the night.

Spot on with your spelling! (I'm a teacher, back to work tomorrow...good to get a warmup!)

bulldogtragic
12-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I heard him talk on SEN. Thompson pretty much said he had trouble reading the play and being able to keep up with a player making leads or running around the ground. Which was very evident on Friday night. Saw Tom just roaming around the ground all by him self when we were in attack and defending. Just looked lost.
Tou're dead right, it was evident and it shocked me a little bit. He has been in an AFL club for many years now and you would think this would be better. I'm not caining him, just it was a noticeable deficiency and for ex-AFl, current VFL players to be aware of it means if wasn't a once off.

macca
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
That is Williams the athelete runningaround loss. I want to see Williams that footballer a lot more. What can Eade do to get the footballer out ?

LostDoggy
12-07-2009, 11:52 PM
That is Williams the athelete runningaround loss. I want to see Williams that footballer a lot more. What can Eade do to get the footballer out ?

Give him a Brian worthy spray :p

But to be serious I dont actually know. I am a liiiittle bit scared to be honest, because for some reason I still can't work out who is meant to be his proper replacement when he is out injured (seemingly 99% of the time). Do you think Eade would consider training up a developing tall into a tall defender? Because all I seem to see when I see our tall kids is ruckmen/ full forwards.

Frig I wish Everitt had improved enough to make that position his own, even if it wasn't permanent.

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I reckon Everitt is ready for the senoirs again. At least in an 'easy' game, say against Freo or WCE give him a run around. I think he is ready to play with the big boys again.

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Give him a Brian worthy spray :p

But to be serious I dont actually know. I am a liiiittle bit scared to be honest, because for some reason I still can't work out who is meant to be his proper replacement when he is out injured (seemingly 99% of the time). Do you think Eade would consider training up a developing tall into a tall defender? Because all I seem to see when I see our tall kids is ruckmen/ full forwards.

Frig I wish Everitt had improved enough to make that position his own, even if it wasn't permanent.

One word! Boumann;)

LostDoggy
13-07-2009, 09:22 PM
One word! Boumann;)

Ahhh ok, good. Hahah my mind cannot seem to register simple things.

hujsh
15-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Tou're dead right, it was evident and it shocked me a little bit. He has been in an AFL club for many years now and you would think this would be better. I'm not caining him, just it was a noticeable deficiency and for ex-AFl, current VFL players to be aware of it means if wasn't a once off.

A bit hard to learn to read the play as a spectator don't you think?

AndrewP6
15-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I reckon Everitt is ready for the senoirs again. At least in an 'easy' game, say against Freo or WCE give him a run around. I think he is ready to play with the big boys again.

We thought the Weagles would be a lot easier when we played them last time, and got belted. I wouldn't give him time unless he' s proven himself (he may have done that, but I don't see that many easy games left)

mighty_west
15-07-2009, 10:41 PM

If he is ready for seniors again, why play him in a so called "easy game", if he's ready he's ready for any game, he isn't exactly a first game player.

However, from what i have seen in recent times and reports from VFL games, Everitt is far from ready to play, at least until he shows a bit more intensity, he isn't IMO a player that needs to play seniors to develop, Williams does.

At least with Williams, he holds down an extremely important position in the side, especially come finals time, he needs to play, simple as that, Everitt isn't a key defensive player at this stage.

If Williams does nothing more in a game than just keep his opponent at bay, we can live with that, with Everitt, he is a more natural footballer, we all know that however, you're not going to play him on a Buddy or Kosi, they will just use Everitt like a rag doll.

LostDoggy
16-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Play him in an easy game so in case he does play crap it shouldn't matter hehe :D

I just liked him a lot last year. Just disappointed this year and want him to make his mark in the senior team.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Two weeks in a row Williams has shut down his opponent, and also had an efficiency of 100%.

More games he plays, the better he will get.

Dry Rot
18-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Two weeks in a row Williams has shut down his opponent, and also had an efficiency of 100%.

More games he plays, the better he will get.

Was his opponent Lucas? If so, he shut down a squashed old witch's hat.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Had still kicked 16 goals in past 5 matches, since coming back from injury.

Not totally stuffed.

Dry Rot
18-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Had still kicked 16 goals in past 5 matches, since coming back from injury.

Not totally stuffed.

Not according to Dons fans. Do you think Williams is a 8 top CHB?

The Coon Dog
18-07-2009, 12:46 AM
He's just important for the structure; think forward a week.

The good thing was tonight he looked composed, more importantly, got another game under his belt injury free.

Sedat
18-07-2009, 12:56 AM
He's like a racehorse that is rubbish after a spell but clicks into gear at the 2nd start. Happened last year as well when he was rushed into the team against Freo in Perth and was a liability but then was terrific the following week on Buddy.

He looked in very good touch this week, and our defensive structure looks so much better with him in it.

boydogs
18-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Very happy with his game tonight. Spoiled his opponent and looked composed with the ball. That's all we need from him, to be self sufficient in looking after his opponent allowing the other defenders to look after the rest and Murphy to play forward

comrade
18-07-2009, 01:15 AM
I think tonight's performance just goes to show that our footy department know what they're doing when it comes to Tom.

Now everyone cross their fingers that he'll get a good run with the injury gods.

And to answer Dry Rot's question - he's probably not a top 8 CHB, but he could easily end up as one.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2009, 01:24 AM
As I've said previously he was probably brought back a week too early, but he played very well tonight. He looked confident and was assured with everything that he was doing. Made some good spoils, showed good body work in the contest and was composed with the ball in hand.

Happy Days
18-07-2009, 01:26 AM
What was most impressive tonight was the improvement in his awareness. Was rarely caught out of position, and judged the flight of the ball quite well.

Remi Moses
18-07-2009, 02:58 AM
Played well tonight ,this guy just needs to stay out on the park.I couldn't believe people thought he'd get dropped

Topdog
18-07-2009, 08:09 AM

An old witches hat who hasn't been stopped by an opponent for the past 6 weeks before Williams. Watching the replay now and Williams moved well and actually read the play pretty well.

Throughandthrough
18-07-2009, 10:15 AM
What was most impressive tonight was the improvement in his awareness. Was rarely caught out of position, and judged the flight of the ball quite well.

100% agreed.

Great game, can't recall a blue all night.

Go_Dogs
18-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Yep, looked much better. It's hard to get a grasp of his reading of the play from TV some of the time, but he appeared much better last night. He took a few marks, ran off, and presented an option. At one stage he weighted up the decision not to handball, chose to take a few more steps and delivered a nice pass by foot.

Best game he's played this year, w/o a doubt.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Looked alot more comfortable out there last night! Well done Tom, prove your critics wrong!;)

angelopetraglia
18-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Tom was great last night.

But the intensity of last nights game was not at the same level as the Pies game. Hopefully he can stay healthy, play the balance of the season and be ready for heat of September.

mighty_west
18-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Old witch's hat or not, anytime Lucas is shut down is a massive win, he always loves playing the Dogs, and whilst his form earlier on was very poor, he has played a few decent games in the past few weeks.

Two games in a row for zero goals conceeded by his opponent, Tommy must be doing something right.

Topdog
18-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Two games in a row for zero goals conceeded by his opponent, Tommy must be doing something right.

It's a great stat but lets call a spade a spade here. He looked lost and out of his depth last week. Last night he looked like he had caught up to the speed of AFL and had a lot more confidence in himself.

Mofra
18-07-2009, 02:32 PM
As I've said previously he was probably brought back a week too early, but he played very well tonight.
I was only thinking about it last night, but I'm not sure if he was left out last week Eade would have brought him back on the back of a 5 day break.

In any case it was good to see him get a bit of confidence against a Lucas who is a little down, and he was certainly much better than last week.

Mantis
18-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Good performance from Tom last night, looked a lot more composed.

In saying that Lucas is cooked so we will get a better guide to how big an effect Tom can have on our performance when he plays on Kosi next week.

Mofra
18-07-2009, 03:59 PM
In saying that Lucas is cooked so we will get a better guide to how big an effect Tom can have on our performance when he plays on Kosi next week.
Lucas had apparently kicked 4,3,3,3,3 in his last 5 weeks, however I don't rate him as anywhere near the player he was.

FWIW Williams was in the bests in The Age's summary.

alwaysadog
18-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't rate him as anywhere near the player he was.

Lucas' not, nor should he have to be. The Lucas of a few year's ago would have taught Williams a thing or two, as it is Tommy has a pretty big scalp which will help his confidence which to me seemed to be right down against the woolipuds.

As far as Lucas is concerned I wonder why they still rely on him so much and why there appear to be no younger players to help him out.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Williams is an impressive looking figure, very statuesque, tall and athletic. The way he walks and runs seems like a spirit that is perfectly at home in his skin. This doesn't make a footballer but I'm always proud to see him go to his opponent at the start of the game.
He can look like he doesn't know what he's doing when he is out of position and moving back to his opponent who is about to receive the ball. He will make some clangers but hopefully not important ones in a final!
BUT I get the feeling that he is like a champion racehorse under tight rein. He is operating under tight limits: negate your opponent; when you have the ball, don't turn it over. It as if this is his only brief. When and if he becomes comfortable doing these two things and can run amok and be more expressive of his natural talents he could be great. I remember when he first came down there were reports he could effortlessly scoop up the ball at pace and was Kootaesque at training with some of the things he did.
Hope we can see some of this within the next few years.

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2009, 01:23 PM
FWIW I would see Williams playing on Riewoldt against the Saints. He has been touted as our answer at CHB and his athleticism is seen as his strong point. That athleticism is needed against Riewoldt who tends to come a long way up the ground to burn his opponents off.

If we keep Lake at full back on Kosi, Lake will be playing his normal game and reading the play to take marks off the opposition is important to his game. There is more chance do that against Kosi and he can be more damaging running off Kosi.

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Lake wouldn't have the tank to run with Riewoldt.

I'd suggest that it would be a certainty that Williams will spend most of the night on Riewoldt, if only to see how he goes.

Happy Days
19-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Lake wouldn't have the tank to run with Riewoldt.

I'd suggest that it would be a certainty that Williams will spend most of the night on Riewoldt, if only to see how he goes.

What about Dale?

He should start on Riewoldt, send Tommy to their resting ruckman.

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2009, 02:28 PM
What about Dale?

How very 1976

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2009, 03:01 PM
What about Dale?

Dale has unfortunately been beaten by Riewoldt and players of his size. Tommy has the physical attributes and should get the gig.

mighty_west
19-07-2009, 03:20 PM
It's a great stat but lets call a spade a spade here. He looked lost and out of his depth last week. Last night he looked like he had caught up to the speed of AFL and had a lot more confidence in himself.

I just think alot of people judged Williams on that one play when he was caught off side of Cloke in a marking contest, there is no doubt that Tom needs more than one game back, especially given alot of time out of the game to find his feet, yet people like to judge him, harshly imo on one performance, i was just stating that he had not conceeded a goal in his 2 games back.

He showed against The Bombers how important he is when in form and i have no doubt he will find form after a few games of AFL, he releases Morris to dominate a smaller opponent.

Topdog
19-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I just think alot of people judged Williams on that one play when he was caught off side of Cloke in a marking contest, there is no doubt that Tom needs more than one game back, especially given alot of time out of the game to find his feet, yet people like to judge him, harshly imo on one performance, i was just stating that he had not conceeded a goal in his 2 games back.

He showed against The Bombers how important he is when in form and i have no doubt he will find form after a few games of AFL, he releases Morris to dominate a smaller opponent.

I agree with everything you are saying but IMO pointing out stats like that when he had a pretty poor game does nothing but make people you are bringing it up to make him loopk better than he is and there is no need to do that. I think most people on this board realise that he is young, inexperienced and will make mistakes while he is learning the caper.

Happy Days
19-07-2009, 04:10 PM
How very 1976

Bit over my head...

Dale has unfortunately been beaten by Riewoldt and players of his size. Tommy has the physical attributes and should get the gig.

He's also beaten Riewoldt and people of his size.

mighty_west
19-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with everything you are saying but IMO pointing out stats like that when he had a pretty poor game does nothing but make people you are bringing it up to make him loopk better than he is and there is no need to do that. I think most people on this board realise that he is young, inexperienced and will make mistakes while he is learning the caper.

I had never actually said that Williams played well against Collingwood, i was just simply pointing out that whilst he didn't play well, AT LEAST he kept his opponent at bay, had he had 6 or 7 goals kicked on him as well, then it would have been a bigger concern.

It just gets frustrating when "Mike Sheahans" come out after one poor game saying he's not good enough, should be playing at Willy, blah blah blah.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night, i heard he played well.

G-Mo77
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Didn't get a chance to watch the game last night, i heard he played well.

Played very well. He looked really composed out there. Gave away a goal due to a stray kick out of bounds (which was a point!) but he was one of our better players.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
There was 1 passage where he got the ball kicked to him @ half back. He dropped it, a Port Adelaide guy picked it up off the ground and he made no effort at all to try chase him down.

Topdog
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Played very well after qtr time and didn't let Tredea have any influence on the game. Made several very important punches and took a great mark in the last. He has a heap of potential.

immortalmike
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Played very well. He looked really composed out there. Gave away a goal due to a stray kick out of bounds (which was a point!) but he was one of our better players.

I was right in line with that kick it was clear as day that it was a point.

I thought overall Tommy played okay. Just needs games I guess.

comrade
06-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I was right in line with that kick it was clear as day that it was a point.

I thought overall Tommy played okay. Just needs games I guess.

Either way, it was a shocking kick.

Remi Moses
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Lot more composed after half time . Just my 2 cents that was a point BTW!! Just needs continual games to gather more confidence

chef
07-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Lot more composed after half time . Just my 2 cents that was a point BTW!! Just needs continual games to gather more confidence

Yep, the more games he can string together the better he plays.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I remember his game v Collingwood last year when we lost by a point..
He was very very sloppy, but now he looks alot more composed with the ball.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
We've all been hoping over the last few years that we see Tommy get to his full potential. He has played a few excellent games and a few poor games.

I think that he adds a lot to our team and when in frees up Morris & Shaggy. They must lift by 25% when Tommy plays as they know they are going to flog their direct match up.

Last year Shaggy had a few good games floating down the wing being the link up man when Tommy in the side. It's called freedom.

Mofra
09-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I think that he adds a lot to our team and when in frees up Morris & Shaggy. They must lift by 25% when Tommy plays as they know they are going to flog their direct match up.
I think he helps Lake just as much - without Morris playing undersized, Lake can concentrate on his man more instead of always having to zone off. Makes such an impact on our structure.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
This is a pretty big moment coming up for Williams.

We all know about his terrible history with injuries, but he's struggled with form quite a bit too. At times we've seen glimpses of the player we need him to become, but it has been few and far in between.

There's no better time for Williams to stand up against one of the best sides in the competition. Riewoldt's an incredible player and they've got a couple of other options down there too in Kosi & Stanley.

I see this as a potential break out game. He tends to improve throughout the duration of a match so hopefully he can have a solid start.

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Did pretty well tonight IMO.

Rance Fan
13-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Played well would of like him to stay on Reiwoldt longer rather than Morris. In all im just happy he's not injured!!

Sockeye Salmon
13-03-2010, 11:14 PM
His kicking was exceptional

Throughandthrough
13-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Agreed, did well tonight.

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Agreed. If you knew nothing about history ie say he was a mature pick like Markovic, IMO you'd be a bit impressed tonight.

Hot_Doggies
13-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Played well, kicked the ball very well.

Only worry was in the last 2 mins, when he did the old 'rabbit in the headlights' trick when being led to the ball.

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Played well, kicked the ball very well.

Only worry was in the last 2 mins, when he did the old 'rabbit in the headlights' trick when being led to the ball.

Totally agree. Solid outing for big Tom and I thought his kicking looked particularly strong.

hujsh
14-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Absolutely was. That pass to Hall in the last quarter definitely stood out.

Greystache
14-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm just about to watch the replay, but live I thought he was super tonight.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Pretty good from Tommy W. tonight. Let's hope he pulls up from it alright.

comrade
14-03-2010, 12:39 AM
The performances of Tommy and Everitt were two of the bigger highlights for me.

Tommy just looked so much more assured in the air, and his kicking was SUPERB! Hopefully he pulls up well and this is a big step forward for him.

Everitt was rock solid all night (no glaring errors that I can recall) and he really broke the lines at times, and was dangerous around the 50M arc. The fact that he didn't have to punch above his weight in defence no doubt gave him confidence to take the game on. I'd love to see him become a Goddard-type player for us.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Agree totally with comrade, they were both my highlights of the night.

Tommy with more games under his belt, will only get better & better.

lemmon
14-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Loved Tommy's game tonight, performed well in the one on ones with Riewoldt and took a number of solid grabs in defense. Not to mention his field kicking, for a 195cm, 101kg key position, athletic, project player his skills have a certain amount of silk about them.

As previously mentioned, Everitt was impressive as well, good intensity and hurt the Saints tonight.

G-Mo77
14-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Absolutely was. That pass to Hall in the last quarter definitely stood out.

That was fantastic! A lot of mids can't kick like that.

Just stay healthy now Tom.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Ditto: to comments above. I was really worried we couldn't find a niche for Everitt in the team, and for Tommy Gun to play like that, gives us an inkling of why the club has been so patient.

Mantis
14-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Tommy just looked so much more assured in the air, and his kicking was SUPERB! Hopefully he pulls up well and this is a big step forward for him.

Everitt was rock solid all night (no glaring errors that I can recall) and he really broke the lines at times, and was dangerous around the 50M arc. The fact that he didn't have to punch above his weight in defence no doubt gave him confidence to take the game on. I'd love to see him become a Goddard-type player for us.

Agree with that.

Really like Everitt's game and hope he has sewn up a spot for rd 1.

Other highlights were our tackling & defensive pressure..... Oh and that big bald angry bloke did ok. ;)

The Underdog
14-03-2010, 10:09 AM

I agree that Tom was very good. He still has trouble keeping track of his man with the ball coming in, which showed especially when he was matched against Riewoldt, but his disposal was excellent. Now he just needs to stay on the park consistently.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Agreed.

Looked very comfortable out there, got good position against his opponent a few times (at least once on Riewoldt which is no easy task), and his ability to run off his opponent was impressive.

His kicking was very assured, polished, pin point accurate and penetrating. I think we all knew he could kick, but I had either forgotten, or not seen him kick to that level previously.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 11:20 AM

There was one passage of play where Boyd had the ball just infront of the I/C gates on the wing, and Everitt just came streaming past him at a million miles per hour. Boyd didn't use Everitt (I thought he probably should have) but what impressed me most was the speed at which Everitt was travelling, and his determination to run hard to create a handball receive option.

His mid-air snap was also pretty nice.

A definite Rd 1 player for mine. (I've got about 24 of them at the moment).

Dazza
14-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Williams was a massive highlight for me last night. A few of his kicks really stood out. The kick to Hall obviously but also another kick where he put it to the advantage of Gilbee in the middle of the ground when there wasn't much else to kick to. (I think Moles had a great pickup and created a goal from it)

Also took a great contested mark. It almost seemed like the Everitt and Williams of 2007 again.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 12:07 PM
The kick to Hall obviously but also another kick where he put it to the advantage of Gilbee in the middle of the ground when there wasn't much else to kick to.

Yep, that was the stand out kick to me. He was under a bit of pressure and didn't really have any clear option yet effected a very good kick.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Williams was a massive highlight for me last night. A few of his kicks really stood out. The kick to Hall obviously but also another kick where he put it to the advantage of Gilbee in the middle of the ground when there wasn't much else to kick to. (I think Moles had a great pickup and created a goal from it)

Also took a great contested mark. It almost seemed like the Everitt and Williams of 2007 again.

How about the left footer that went low, hard and accurate, just like his right footers. I feel like he will 'break out' at some point in his career and gain confidence to back his skills and judgement and could be CHF of dynamism. ATM he is playing carefully, conservatively, with a restrictive brief.

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Tommy was very good last night. I hope he takes huge steps this year.

lemmon
14-03-2010, 04:06 PM
His kicking was exceptional but the piece of play that excited me was the mark he took over Riewoldt (I think?) at CHB. Was caught a few metres behind Riewoldt who had overrun the ball slightly, Tommy accelerated slightly, read the ball beautifully and used his big leap to mark over the top of Riewoldt. Thats the stuff coaching staff and supported have been waiting for since he was drafted, very promising.

Remi Moses
14-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Really good tonight this guy needs games simple

anfo27
14-03-2010, 06:32 PM
He really showed me something last night. I've been sceptical about Tommy but it looks as though he could turn into the player we need. Like many have said his kicking was first class and overall played quite well.
In the last 5 minutes whenever i saw Tommy go near the ball i was just praying he wouldn't get hurt. Fingers crossed he has an injury free season.

KT31
14-03-2010, 06:46 PM
He really showed me something last night. I've been sceptical about Tommy but it looks as though he could turn into the player we need. Like many have said his kicking was first class and overall played quite well.
In the last 5 minutes whenever i saw Tommy go near the ball i was just praying he wouldn't get hurt. Fingers crossed he has an injury free season.

Totally agree, IMO one of his best games for the club.

comrade
14-03-2010, 07:36 PM
We're in bizarro world, entering the season with a full forward AND a centre half back.

Cross every finger and toe that they stay fit (and in form).

LongWait
15-03-2010, 12:36 AM
We're in bizarro world, entering the season with a full forward AND a centre half back.

Cross every finger and toe that they stay fit (and in form).

Before the first NAB Cup game I felt, all other things being equal, that if Williams can hold down CHB for the season; Everitt can force his way into the 22 as a tall, quick, attacking swing-man; and Hall plays fair to good footy then we will have taken a massive step forward as a contender. We've had a dream pre-season!

Hotdog60
15-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Question, is Tommy one of the players that Chris Grant is working with?

MrMahatma
15-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Question, is Tommy one of the players that Chris Grant is working with?
Good question - he looks to have turned the corner, especially with reading the play. Whoever is working with him is a decent coach. What he needs now is consistency, both in game time and output.

Here's hoping.

Cyberdoggie
15-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Good question - he looks to have turned the corner, especially with reading the play. Whoever is working with him is a decent coach. What he needs now is consistency, both in game time and output.

Here's hoping.

I would say Grant would be definately working with Tom Williams.

It was great to see Tom play a good game, he did some good things, and his disposal was first rate, on his right and left foot.

The big doubt he still carries is his decision making and confidence.
I still get nervous when Tom has the ball on the last line of defence.

But Kudos to him he's looking good at the moment and let's hope it follows him rnd 1.

Mofra
15-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I actually thought Tommy played Riewoldt better than Morris did - Riewoldt has worked out how to use his size advantage against Morris, a luxury he doesn't have against Williams.

It will be nice to use Morris on a small/mid sized player in round 1 with Williams to take Cloke, and Lake to blanket Anthony.

mighty_west
15-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I actually thought Tommy played Riewoldt better than Morris did - Riewoldt has worked out how to use his size advantage against Morris, a luxury he doesn't have against Williams.

It will be nice to use Morris on a small/mid sized player in round 1 with Williams to take Cloke, and Lake to blanket Anthony.

It wasn't one of Dales best games was it, he was clearly beaten by Riewoldt before Williams took over, adding to that Dales out of bounce on the full, but he did come back to do a few good things, including that despertate punch through their goals.

Williams just needs to stay fit, that's all, and i have no doubt we will see an improved Tom this year, that pass to Hall was just super, and he outsmarted Riewoldt & Kosi on at least one occasion each.

He played on Cloke in that game last year, where he was beaten in one contest, and many going for his head, even though Cloke ended the game with 0 goals and had little influence in the game.

Mofra
15-03-2010, 03:52 PM
He played on Cloke in that game last year, where he was beaten in one contest, and many going for his head, even though Cloke ended the game with 0 goals and had little influence in the game.
He was beaten last year by Kennedy in the WCE match, although I rate Kennedy highly the fans were yelling at Tommy from over the fence.
I don't think there's much doubt now that in terms of the structure he provides to the back 6, Tommy is in our best 22.

EasternWest
15-03-2010, 06:34 PM
and he outsmarted Riewoldt & Kosi on at least one occasion each.

I don't think that's too difficult.

Mantis
16-03-2010, 09:41 AM
A much improved performance from Tom, but on a couple of occassions he was more interested in his opponent than the ball. One such instance was in the last qtr when he had a 1/2 metre break on Kosi, but rather than instinctively going for the ball he looked around to see where his opponent was. Through his superior athleticism he was still able to win the contest (and we got a goal), but I would have loved him to make the ball his first priority on such occassions.

Compare this to Brian who doesn't really give 2 stuffs about where is his opponent is as he is confident he will win the ball regardless. I guess the key word there is 'confidence', Brian has it in spades at present whereas Tom is still in the learning phase. Brian was unsure a few years back, but with more footy, came more experience and with this came the confidence he has now. He still is prone to the odd brain fart, but by and large he is a very confident and dependable player.

Let's hope Tom can follow the same path as Brian as he has all the physical attributes to do so.

The Underdog
16-03-2010, 11:03 AM
A much improved performance from Tom, but on a couple of occassions he was more interested in his opponent than the ball. One such instance was in the last qtr when he had a 1/2 metre break on Kosi, but rather than instinctively going for the ball he looked around to see where his opponent was. Through his superior athleticism he was still able to win the contest (and we got a goal), but I would have loved him to make the ball his first priority on such occassions.

Compare this to Brian who doesn't really give 2 stuffs about where is his opponent is as he is confident he will win the ball regardless. I guess the key word there is 'confidence', Brian has it in spades at present whereas Tom is still in the learning phase. Brian was unsure a few years back, but with more footy, came more experience and with this came the confidence he has now. He still is prone to the odd brain fart, but by and large he is a very confident and dependable player.

Let's hope Tom can follow the same path as Brian as he has all the physical attributes to do so.

I was watching him closely for a while. He seems to not be sure where to look when the ball is coming downfield, he's trying to keep an eye on the ball and one on his opponent and can get caught out. His ability to use his athleticism to get to the contest anyway is great, but it's the one area where a lack of consistent football really shows up.

stefoid
16-03-2010, 11:10 AM
So hes inexperienced. Only one way to cure that. If he plays all games this year he will have almost doubled his full games of AFL footy. Amazing considering he was drafted in 2004.

Mofra
16-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Bit hard for Tommy, from a non-football background, inexperienced and missing alot of footy, to show the same judgement as an A/A key backman though (arguably the form FB of thw competition for stretches last year). If he can concentrate on his man and stop him, that would be enough of a contribution to the team at this stage.

Even in time I wouldn;t expect Tommy to develop Lake's level of judgement; he is a rare beast.

mighty_west
16-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Bit hard for Tommy, from a non-football background, inexperienced and missing alot of footy, to show the same judgement as an A/A key backman though (arguably the form FB of thw competition for stretches last year). If he can concentrate on his man and stop him, that would be enough of a contribution to the team at this stage.

Even in time I wouldn;t expect Tommy to develop Lake's level of judgement; he is a rare beast.

Agreed, a bit like Dale Morris, we don't expect Dale to go do alot more than stop his opponent, being spoiling or outmarking, they have the runners around them in Gilbee, Hargrave, Lake, Griffen at times etc, a bit like the midfield, and we don't expect Crossy to break the lines and become an outside player, he has Cooney & Griffen, Eagleton etc etc to cover that role.

Tommy [if fit] is going to play some damn important roles throughout the season, and if he can at least nulify his opponent, that can only be a big step in us going the next step, would also allow Lake to peel off and play that Chris Grant read the play, taking mark after mark role, rather than being stuck on an opponent himself and not being allowed by oppositon forward lines to break loose.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I dont think Tommy should just be concerned about his opponent. Two of his greatest strengths is his running capacity and his kicking. I think him running off his opponent and delivering the footy into our forward line (like he did Saturday night) will boost hes confidence sky high. Tell him to back himself when he has the footy or when he is going for the footy (weather that be in the air or on the ground).